5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!
I just got this phone yesterday. It is my first smartphone and I'm in love. It does everything and more that my 4th gen Ipod does (except has Android). Its super fast on the web and switching between applications. The camera seems good. The flash is blinding at night! Haven't played with the video yet. I love how you can speak almost every command instead of typing...
Published on October 24, 2011 by kcuse

2.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it has touchscreen issues...
As others have stated, the Transform Ultra does indeed have touchscreen issues. It may be luck of the draw, but I had the Prevail prior and there were no issues like this. I have tried sensitivity apps to try and correct the issue, but it did not help. As IMFM stated in another forum, he thinks it is a capacitive issue regarding the ability of the device to recognize when...
Published on November 17, 2011 by Justin

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone Nice price, February 24, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Transform Ultra (Boost Mobile) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this phone after my Galaxy Prevail was stolen. I was quite happy with the Prevail but decided to step up a notch. I've had this phone for about three months now and I have to say I have no regrets. The camera takes good pics and video and is much better than the Prevails camera, plus it has a flash and a forward facing camera, two things the Prevail lacks. Boost network speeds are decent in my area but the WiFi is much faster! I have only two complaints... 1) the battery life sucks. If you use the 3G or WiFi much, you won't get a half days worth of use before your outta juice. I suggest getting a second battery with a charging dock. 2) There aren't any decent cases available because of the slide out keyboard. It seems to have a decent screen. I keep my phone in my pocket without a screen protector and it doesn't have a scratch on it! I have not had a single problem with this phone and have several friends who have purchased it on my recommendation, who just as happy with it as I.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Just Love This Phone!!!!!, January 18, 2012
This Phone is awesome!!! I don't play games on it, therefore I don't have that issue I've read about. The touch sreen isn't as responsive as the Prevail or Zte but not a problem for me. I watch streaming Fox 8 news on this phone, I have Netflix downloaded on it to watch movies and tv programs. I only download apps I use, because they will eat up your battery..I just purchased a backup battery to swap out when the first one drains. The Phone charges pretty quick too..the slide out keyboard is great, I use it and the talk/text microphone a lot. Also when I'm at home I use WiFi..which is super fast. Boostmobile is awesome and has plans..you can't beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Samsung transform ultra, December 26, 2011
I got the samsung transform ultra for christmas and I love everything about my phone it sounds better then the other top phones i have had and everything about it is better then the top phones i have had with sprint and t-mobile. I would highly recommend this phone to anyone I was worried about it buying after I the reviews i read but decided to go with my gut feelings and I love it I haven't had any problems with my phone like others have complained about just wanted to let others know.

4.0 out of 5 stars great phone, November 1, 2011
Ive had this phone for about a month and ive had zero problems out of the phone.

If you want to compare it to a high dollar (100+ a month plan) phone its going to fall pretty short with its basic resolution display and 3mp camera, but considering the monthly payment on boost mobile with no data limit this phone is pretty nice. Ive spent countless hours on it surfing the web, playing angry birds, texting, taking pictures and videos, so on and so forth... never had a single issue.

The only limiting factor with the phone and boost mobile is the battery life of the phone, which you can drain with a few hours of heavy gaming or video playing... but thats the reality of most smart phones and heavy use, it is not a flaw of this phone per say.

I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone looking to go with boost mobile, and the monthly payment makes the cost of the phone well worth it. Unlimited everything that eventually gets down to 40$ a month? yes please.

2.0 out of 5 stars Updated Review: Battery problems persist even after replacing it, June 12, 2012
I finally decided to make the switch to a smartphone after my six-year-old POS candy bar Motorola died. Since I was sticking with Boost, that meant I had only a few options and picked the Samsung Transform Ultra, the fanciest model available.

PROS

I don't like touch screen typing and had to have a full size slide-out QWERTY keyboard. The Ultra has a fantastic one, sturdy and responsive. In fact, it's the primary reason I picked it. No regrets there. Texting is fast, easy and fun.

The phone has a great built-in camera (with flash) that takes excellent quality pictures.

Battery life seems good. On a full or near-full charge, I can talk for around two and a half, maybe three hours straight and still not use it all up. It recharges completely in about an hour.

It has great audio quality, including the speakerphone.

Video playback from YouTube and other sites have good image and audio quality, though of course that depends on the quality of the source material. But I compared video playback between this phone and my friend's stupid Blackberry, and YouTube videos I knew were perfectly good quality on my phone were pretty much unwatchable on his.

CONS

I haven't bought any apps or played any games on the phone yet, so I can't speak to the touch screen issue some other reviewers are complaining about.

Maybe this is a coverage issue with Boost more than the phone, but internet performance is often frustratingly slow except at home which is when I don't really need it because then I use my iMac. At home I can get 3-5 bars usually, but I have a hard time getting more than 1-3 bars when I'm out and about (often more like a single bar to none). And all these locations are in a major city/coverage area within my state! Apparently, every store I go into is magically in a bad coverage area. This sucks, because I mainly use my phone's internet for comparison price shopping and looking up reviews of stuff I'm considering buying in retail stores. Or when I'm totally bored waiting for someone. Still, it's better than not having internet on the go.

Now for a major pain in the butt problem: I've had the phone since November 2011, and six months later, the power button has stopped working properly! Now, I have to press it repeatedly (but not too fast) and it eventually powers on. Sometimes a dozen times, sometimes half a dozen, sometimes it works on the first or second try. The button isn't noticeably sticking or anything weird like that--it's like it's randomly deciding when to work. However, It never has a problem going to standby mode with just one press, so go figure!

And sometimes, even though I'll hear the phone ringing or giving me other alerts, the screen remains black so I have no idea who is calling or texting until I press the power button. In this case, the power button always works with a single press. If only it would turn on so easily!

One last annoyance is that in order to access a lot of the phone's built-in apps, you need a Google account. If you don't want one of those, you can't use them.

I give the phone 3.5 stars. I like it but it has some problems that drag my rating down from a 4.

UPDATE (December 7, 2012): After one year (and six months of problems with the power button), now the touch screen is not responding every so often (as in it freezes up) and I have to turn the phone off and back on to make it work again. It's not doing it every day (at least, not yet), but don't know what the deal is. It's not like I've ever dropped it or anything. Not cool for a gadget I spent a lot of money on. It no longer recognizes the SD card is installed and all my gallery photos are inaccessible. Am downgrading my rating to 2.5 stars as a result.

IMPORTANT UPDATE (February 9, 2013): My touchscreen froze up completely today and no amount of turning it off or on again solved it. After researching the issue online, I removed the battery, waited 15 minutes, then put it back in. All the problems my phone was having appear to be solved now. It powers up correctly with a single touch, doesn't freeze anymore (at least not yet), my SD card is being recognized, my missing photos are back in the gallery, and everything seems to be functioning as good as it was when I first bought it.

Will update my review if any more problems crop up, but will try removing and reinstalling the battery before posting more complaints. I've gone ahead and restored my original 3.5 star rating.

UPDATE (July 11, 2013): The stupid battery keeps crapping out, going dead until I plug it into the charger, than lying about the power levels, and going dead again in mid-call if I don't keep it plugged into the charger. I've had to order a replacement battery. Downgrading my rating again to 2.5.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE (January 2, 2014): Just a quick warning that although you can find replacement batteries online for a third of the retail price, and they claim to be compatible, they aren't! These are crappy Chinese knock-offs that give your phone a "battery type not supported" error and won't let you get past the "charging" screen. I bought one from an online discounter and had to use my credit card company to force them to give me a refund, then had to pay full retail for an official Samsung battery locally. And of course, it didn't take more than a few weeks for the new Samsung battery to begin giving me the same problems as the old one: the "SD card removed" error is showing up while the card is installed (as I have never removed it even once), the screen sometimes freezes or turns off, and the phone is not turning on consistently turning on when I press the power button. The phone works OK most of the time, but gives me screen or power up problems at least once a day, and I have to remove and put back the battery to "fix" the SD card error and other issues at least twice a week. Also, every once in awhile, the phone doesn't ring when people call. I only know they called when the new voicemail sound beeps, but my ringer was on full blast, I was awake, and the phone was within ten feet of me at the time. This phone cost a lot of money and it should not be having these problems! Downgrading my rating to 2 stars as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this phone!, February 12, 2012
I purchased this phone on Black Friday and love it! It's my 3rd Android on Boost but it's the best. I had the Prevail but it didn't have enough internal storage for the app's that I use. I have all the app's that I need on the Ultra & still have plenty of space left over. And being able to add in a big memory card is great, also - I have all my photos/videos from previous phones with plenty of room left over on the card. I haven't had any touch screen issues yet. I use this phone more than I use my laptop. It's great for on-the-go web. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Android, January 19, 2012
I love this phone!! It has all the features I want and need, and buying it online saved me about 45 dollars. I would absolutely recommend this phone!! I pay a little more for Android service and insurance, but it's worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Transform Ultra from a big man's perspective... who also modded his phone..., March 5, 2012
The Samsung Transform Ultra is a mid range phone but it performs very well for it's price range. I bought mine for $120.00 during a black friday sale and have been using it since then. I am a large man, I am 6'5" and I weigh in at 290 lbs (just lost 13 pounds last month woot woot!) I chose this phone over the warp because it has a qwerty keyboard and I am glad that I did. I do NOT enjoy using the touch screen keyboard.. The Qwerty keyboard works just fine for me, I don't ever fat finger any extra keys. In short I am in love with this phone and in this phone has caused me to love android.

From a modders perspective this phone has an active community. There are at the time of this writing 4 custom roms, an over clock kernel, a recovery tool based on clockwork mods and a one click root tool. Cyanogenmod 7 is in the works and Cyanogenmod 9 is being talked about and worked on by one enterprising individual. Let me say that in clearer terms... this phone will likely have an ice cream sandwich based rom built for it. I would recommend this phone to anyone and everyone because as I have mentioned I am smitten with it.

AnTuTu Benchmark with no tweaks 3532
Highest Performance for this device 4695 (cpu clocked at 2016 Mhz)

Specs:

Qwerty Keypad
ARMv7 1 Ghz cpu
Adreno (TM) 205 gpu
370mb ram
1gb onboard memory

Cons:

It has a touch screen issue where if you stop your finger while dragging something it forgets your finger is there. This is well documented and seems to affect all phones of this model. The modding community is currently working on a fix for this.

Phone battery length is short, however I feel this is a con across all smart phones. The drain comes primarily from radio usage, I can turn off wifi and 3g while I am using it for a game or an ebook and it will last much longer. A battery extender app is a MUST. I use juice defender ultimate and get 2x battery life through location based wifi activation and turning off network connectivity (wifi and 3g) while screen is off, it checks in every 30 minutes for facebook updates etc. Heavy users should expect to charge this phone twice a day, giving it an afternoon nap charging and once again while you sleep. But when I say heavy I mean constant use like I do. If I use it only moderately I will go all day with one charge.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Mobile Hotspot!, February 19, 2012
No Mobile Hotspot:

I spent $80 more to get the Samsung Transform Ultra instead of the Samsung Galaxy Prevail Android Smartphone (Boost Mobile) for one main reason: Mobile Hot-Spot. Everything I read talked about the Ultra's "Hotspot" capability. It's actually built-in to Android 2.3, which the Ultra uses. No one seemed to state whether or not Boost had disabled that capability in the phone. Maybe I should have asked for a demo at the store... Alas, the option is not there in settings and if you use a third-party settings manager, the phone says "Hotspot is not supported."

I was able to root the phone and installed Barnacle which gives me wifi-tethering in ad-hoc mode. But I paid extra money to get the full hotspot capability. I may have to play with replacing the Boost-crippled Android OS...

Touchy touch-screen:
Other than the mobile hotspot, the touch screen is way, way too sensitive. The phone tries to make calls when I slip it in my pocket unless I disable the "Emergency Call" button. The phone tries to change modes when my ear brushes the top bar when I'm taking a call.

Battery life:
The battery life is abysmal. For instance, I took it off the charger about 90 minutes ago. I checked to see if it was my turn to play in Scrabble (it wasn't) and watched about 10 minutes of video on Netflix. This was on Wifi in my house. Other than that usage, the phone has been idle. The battery is now at 65%.

When I'm out and about, I am constantly turning on and off wifi, GPS and bluetooth depending on what I need to do at the moment. If I am sitting still for any amount of time, I seek out a wall outlet. You have to use a car charger if you expect to use this as a GPS in the car.

Now for some good points:
Boost rocks if you are in an area with good coverage. It's cheap and you never have to worry about using too much data. I love it!

Android smart phones do so much... Look at my complaints: I was watching video on Netflix, playing Scrabble, using it as a GPS... This is a very functional device. Of course, the Prevail does all this too for quite a bit less money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and don't buy this phone, April 21, 2013
Cake Baby (Phoenix, AZ, USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this phone for only 10 months and after a steady onslaught of problems it finally stopped working entirely today. It was cheaply made and came with a small crack on the casing when I ordered it which spread and left a hole in the side of the phone. In February the camera started to get green lines across the screen and then would force close every time you tried to take a picture. Since I got the phone the screen would occasionally go black for no reason or the phone would shut down in the middle of a call even when the battery was fully charged. Two days ago the Back button and the Refresh button only worked when the slider was pulled out. Next came the Home button. Today the touch screen stopped responding and the phone shuts down immediately after being turned on. The phone has a limited one year warranty but since there is damage to the outside of the phone (and I know they'd never believe me that they sent it to me with a crack) I'm positive they wouldn't send me a new phone. Also, if you send them a phone that doesn't meet their limited warranty requirements, Samsung will charge you for the repair, labor, and shipping. I had heard that Samsung made good quality products but after my experience with this phone, I will not be buying anymore Samsung products. This was my first smartphone and I must say I am very disappointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›