5.0 out of 5 stars great tv with some excellent features

3.0 out of 5 stars Just average - I am keeping it, but there are pros and cons
Published 18 months ago by Cheryl L. Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars great tv with some excellent features, May 27, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
I bought this tv for an exercise room and hoped the speaker volume would be enough to overcome the treadmill noise. Not only was it loud enough but the tv has a setting in the sound menu called Clear Voice that emphasizes voice over sounds. This makes it much easier to understand what people are saying while on the treadmill. It also has a setting called Auto Volume that automatically adjusts the volume to the same level on all channels.
I am using the tv with a small roof top antenna and it gets all the stations from a 56 mile distance. I compared this tv's channel reception to my more expensive Toshiba Regza 46XV645U and they were both the same, so my worries of a cheap tv having an inferior tuner were over.
The base of the tv is not adjustable but was quite sturdy and level. The back has a 75mm by 75mm vesa mount so it could be mounted with something like this mount:

Cheetah Mounts ALAMB Articulating Arm TV Wall Mount Bracket for VESA 100 12-24" LCD LED Flat Screen Monitors Display/TVs up to 40lbs Includes Free 10' HDMI Cable and 6" Bubble Level

I mounted this tv up high and used a feature in the picture menu called Samsung Magic Angle. This has settings to adjust the picture quality to compensate for the tv not being close to level line of sight. This brought the picture back to the same quality as if I were looking at it straight on. This feature could also be used if the tv were mounted real low.

The quality, picture, and sound of this tv were above my expectations for a tv at this price.

Update:
After 1 year the tv is still going strong with no issues. I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV - Fits on kitchen counter under the upper cabinets, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
There aren't many major brand Flat Panel TVs that will fit under the upper cabinet in your kitchen. We have 2 other Samsung TV's in the house and are very happy with them. It was a nice surprise to find this model for our kitchen. Its also nice to have the same remote control design in 3 rooms. The picture is great and the sound is pretty good for the small speakers facing down from the bottom edge.

A year ago we bought a 22" Visio for the kitchen. It fit because it has no stand to increase its height. The sound on the 22" Vizio was poor . . often hard to understand speech on some programs with the Vizio.

The TV is very light weight. To allow the TV to turn on the granite counter, I removed the sticky rubber feet and put on felt pads available at hardware stores for chair feet. The felt pads are very slippery so you can spin the TV with a finger tip.

Two Minor shortcomings for our needs:
1. TV has only 1 HDMI input. Our primary program source is HDMI, but with Amazon-Prime and NetFlix subscriptions we also ordered a RoKu3 module to play Amazon/NetFlix programming to this TV. It would be nice not to have to use an external HDMI switch. (We just discovered RoKu - its the competitor to the Apple TV module, but usually considered better than Apple TV unless most of your other gadgets are also Apple)

2. This TV has an external power block like your notebook computer. On our Peninsula kitchen counter, we turn this TV to face the Kitchen or Dinette. It would be nice to not have this power block to hide. Being compulsive about tidy electronics installations, I lengthened the low voltage power wire on the power block and placed it in the unfinished basement below the TV. Now we only have the thin black low-voltage power wire going into a wall plate along with the HDMI feed from the basement. The DishTV and Roku remote controls are both Radio-Frequency so the DishTV HDMI-module and RokU-Module can be in the basement below the TV.

Overall, we are really happy to find this great TV that is only 12.5" tall with the stand. If you really need 2 HDMI inputs and are OK with the higher price, look at the 19" Toshiba TV Toshiba 19L4200U 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Black)

3.0 out of 5 stars Just average - I am keeping it, but there are pros and cons, May 25, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
First the cons. The single most annoying feature of this TV is the base. It is a cheap plastic base that does not fit properly. It is wiggly even when fully tightened. We had to jury rig it to get it to fit properly (snugly). Even when tightened it leans down to the right (so the viewing from is not square, it is tilted) at a pretty noticeable angle of about an inch... To align it I propped the power cube that is part of the power cord under one end of the set and then it was even. Should a customer have to go through this for a new product? Definitely not. If you intend to mount this TV on a wall or under a cabinet you will not have this problem and it is obvious that Samsung felt most would opt to do that hence not caring about the crappy fit of the base. That being said, the base on the 19" TV, crappy as it is, is superior to the base on the 22" Samsung series 5003 TV which I returned because while that base was also plastic and flimsy (but fixable if you use your own properly fitted screws over the ones supplied in box), it also had the more serious problem of not being substantial enough to actually support the TV. The 22" 5003 series base was too small and the TV was top heavy and very tippable. I can't believe the designs of these bases were actually approved by Samsung.

Another con, the 19" has only one HDMI port so know if you need to hook up several things you will need to buy a hub or splitter, sold separately (Amazon sells both).

Also if you are planning to use this TV to receive over the air channels I was not able to find a way to manually add channels on this model. I googled it too. So unless there is something I am missing your over the air channels will be whatever is picked up by the TV scan only. If you can receive most of be channels you want without adjusting your antenna then they should all be picked up on the TV scan, but if you need to adjust antenna to get certain channels it will be problematic as each scan will only pick up the channels the antenna picks up in that particular direction... And you can't manually add the channels not picked up on the scan.

However, despite these issues, I have decided to keep this TV. I bought it for my kitchen. If fits nicely under the upper cabinets with room to spare to sit it on cable box. Base is small enough that it can sit on box without covering box's air vents. Most of the smaller TVs leave something to be desired one way or the other. The picture on the TV is excellent and it does have the traditional easy to navigate Samsung menus. The 19" size looks better In my smaller size kitchen where the 22" still also fit under the cabinets but was a bit overpowering looking as I don't want the TV to be the focus of the room. There are very few choices in a 19" size. So I am keeping it because of the picture quality, compact size and ease of use of the remote to navigate menus. Once you correct the base issues and prop it on the power cube to get the picture frame straight it actually looks pretty nice. Plus the smaller size allows it to fit farther back into the corner, leaving more counter space for me to use when cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars About the stand - - -, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
Simply put, Samsung has supplied the wrong size screws to attach the stand. No matter how much you tighten them, there remains a gap between each screw head and the stand, causing unsafe, hazardous and frustrating wobbling of the TV all over the place. The SIMPLE SOLUTION is to just insert a single metal washer onto each screw before inserting it into the underside of the base. There will then be a firm and stable connection between the TV and its dedicated stand. Samsung needs to own up to its error in supplying screws that are too long, and provide all purchasers with either three metal washers or the correct size (i.e., shorter) screws. Also, because the screw holes are set so far into the bottom of the stand, it is advisable to use a magnetic screw driver to assist in getting the screws inside the holes.

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, October 2, 2013
Eric C. Heinrich (Rosedale, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
29-inch model

Picture and sound are fine. The sound is by no means hi-fi, but I am more concerned with hearing dialogue, and the "Clear Voice" preset works well for that. Plenty of volume. (For football games, the "Standard" preset decreases that high-pitched crowd noise.)

It is true that the only audio output is an old-fashioned headphone jack (L+R).

I am feeding this thing 1080i HD from DIRECTV (I pay $10 extra per month to get their HD service). Feels like I am sitting in the stadium at football games.

I think the size is perfect for my small living room (12 ft. x 11 ft.) The TV sits in one corner on a 20-inch high stand with my La-Z-Boy in the opposite corner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV at a good price, May 16, 2013
Burt Bicksler (Sevierville, TN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
When the ancient CRT based TV in our guest room expired I was looking for a good replacement.

I checked locally and no one had a good name brand smaller LED / LCD TV. There were a few off brand models, or I could order one at a local store.

This TV was at a really good price point for a Samsung. Not much more to say. Worked great out of the box. Setup was very easy.

Picture quality is excellent. Sound quality is good enough for its intended purpose. Can't say about the HDMI inputs as we don't need those at this time.

I would recommend this TV if you need a smaller format model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine unit for a guest bedroom, September 6, 2013
Marc O'Polo (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have rated this unit four stars only because of limited use so far. I fully expect this to be a 5-star purchase.

I needed a relatively small flat-panel TV for a guest bedroom. I have a Samsung LCD in my family room and have been pleased with it. (No problems so far after five years of use.) Consumer Reports and reviews here on Amazon steered me once again to Samsung.

This 29-inch model was a snap to unpack and set up. The stand is sturdy; it's held in place with self-tapping screws. I make sure to cinch down each screw as I proceed; I find this avoids problems down the road.

The unit is plug-and-play. Connect it to a power outlet and a cable jack. Power it up, and it goes into an interactive guided process for setting the various parameters, including scanning for available channels.

After the plug-and-play process was complete, I tweaked a couple of the settings through the menu to satisfy my preferences for screen brightness and sound quality. As with any LCD TV, sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. But I find this unit is adequate for the location in which I've placed it and the somewhat limited use it will be receiving.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Small Television (Review of 19"), September 3, 2013
MechanicalMan (Springfield, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
I calibrated a 19" F4000 for my father yesterday with an X-Rite Colormunki Display colorimeter. These are the settings that I settled on:

Mode: Movie
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
LED Clear Motion: Off

Pros
+ It's inexpensive.
+ Samsung appears to be the only major manufacturer producing a 19" TV at this time, so it's about the only option if you want something this small.
+ The default picture settings in Movie picture mode are pretty good, so you can obtain a reasonably good image without much tinkering.
+ Screen uniformity is pretty good.
+ Colors appear pretty deep and saturated, in spite of the TV's unimpressive contrast ratio.

Cons
- Vertical viewing angles are extremely limited, so the TV only looks good from an absolutely perfect angle. Samsung includes its "Magic Angle" feature to combat this, but that is just a band-aid. Furthermore, the chintzy stand does not tilt.
- On/off contrast ratio measures about 900:1, so it's clearly not in the same league as larger LCD TVs with decent VA panels.
- Like most LCD displays, dark shades are heavily blue tinged. And this TV is very blue up to 15+ IRE, which is quite bad, even by cheap LCD standards.
- Color accuracy is not great; for example: some shades of orange and darker flesh tones are too green, and magenta is too blue.
- The speakers aren't great (obviously).
- This TV has limited connectivity with no audio outputs, aside from the headphone jack.

FWIW, I own an older (2010) 22" LG, and it is a significantly better TV than this Samsung. Contrast ratio is only slightly better on the LG, but its 10-point white balance controls and color management system allow for a better gamma curve and *far* better color accuracy than the F4000. Also, near-black has a more neutral color and its vertical viewing angles are significantly better (although still not good). Keep in mind, that is a discontinued model, and I have no idea how it compares to LG's current 22" models -- it's likely that they're worse. Also, LG makes nothing smaller than a 22", so it isn't an option if you want/need a 19".

3.0 out of 5 stars No audio outputs, December 3, 2013
II purchased UN29F4000 a week ago. The picture quality is great. The 26 inch RCA tv that I replaced had audio outputs. I was shocked that this one doesn't. This prevents me from connecting to a home theater system. The only audio output is for headphones. I am very disappointed that Samsung didn't supply audio outputs on this model. I would have purchased another brand if I would have known this. Even less expensive brands have audio outputs.
Do to limited space I had to go with the 29 inch instead of the 32 inch model that has all needed inputs and outputs.

4.0 out of 5 stars good value small tv, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
Picture is a little dark in standard mode. The speaker is ok for small rooms. The vewing angle feature is great if it is to be mounted above or below eye level

Samsung UN19F4000 19-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV