5.0 out of 5 stars Love Samsung TVs!
I don't have time to write a lot of reviews. When I do, it's either because I'm really pleased or really peaved about a purchase. In this case, I just have to put my two cents in about this TV, and Samsung TVs in general.

Picture Quality
Published 10 months ago by Mike-and-Pam

3.0 out of 5 stars I was not aware that a physical power button was ...
I was not aware that a physical power button was not part of the deal. Or any other buttons. So far I haven't cared for that aspect and now know to pay a few dollars more.
Published 4 months ago by tweaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Samsung TVs!, May 2, 2014

Picture Quality
We have several LCD / LEDs in the house, both Sonys and Samsungs (including this one - the UN28H4000). The picture quality of all of them is beyond amazing with sharp lines, vibrant colors and deep blacks. All are great for viewing everything from the news to football games. I'm not really a "gamer", but they all seem to display the action from my Xbox nicely too.

Sound Quality
Where Samsung separates itself is in the sound in these smaller TVs. With a big screen, you're almost sure to want to combine it with some kind of separate sound system (surround, sound bar, etc.). But darn it, I didn't want to HAVE to buy a separate sound system for a small TV that's going in the kitchen. Samsung is the only brand I've found that comes with adequate speakers, which seem to be full-range as opposed to most others which emit treble and mids only. I wouldn't say this Samsung sounds "great" (we do have both a Bose surround system and a Sonos sound bar in the house). But it has a nice full sound that's certainly *better than* good enough for watching - and listening to - whatever show we're interested in while having dinner or a midnight snack. All the other brands I've heard sound like overdriven headphones when turned up beyond a whisper, and that includes Sony, LG, Visio and Toshiba.

True, this TV is not a "smart" TV. You won't be streaming Netflix or your favorite TV from Amazon without a secondary device. But it doesn't - as others have stated - claim to be a smart TV in this ad, and that's not what I was after (however, in defense of those other reviewers, it does show up as a smart TV in a comparison table I found here on Amazon, and that is incorrect). So for what it is, I give it 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Appears to be the right choice for my application, September 10, 2014
This review is from: Samsung UN24H4000 24-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
I like to be specific when I write reviews here as too often the reviews of multiple models/products get blended together. This review is for the Samsung UN24H4000 24-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV; Amazon ASIN: B00KSBBGA4. I purchased this product on Sept 6, 2014.

I have only used this TV for one day and at this time only have it connected to an older digital cable box via a coax connection. I did use the Component connections for a DVD player and the picture quality is excellent. I will have a Mini Tivo box installed early next week and following that will have an HDMI cable tv connection. I will update my review following that.

****** UPDATE: ******* I now have this TV connected to a Tivo Mini and the picture quality is totally excellent. If you are concerned about 720 vs 1080 I say don't worry. I have a four-year-old Visio 22" 1080 TV in another location and the picture from this Samsung with 720 is just as good if not better.

The first thing I would like to say is that this TV does NOT have any input ports on any side panel as depicted in the photos. All of the ports are on a squarish panel on the rear of the TV and all face to the rear. I point this out because if you plan on using a USB device (such as thumb drive) to view media, you may want to obtain a USB extension cable, because if you have the TV against a wall, or in an enclosed cabinet like I do, the rear panel may not be easily accessible. (Note that a USB extension cable is NOT the same thing as a standard USB cable.) Another reason I point this out is the Amazon photos for this product clearly show a side panel with HDMI and USB ports. I am certain that the photos come from Samsung as the same photos are shown at BestBuy.Com and Beach Audio. The recessed area for a side panel is present on my set, but is smooth plastic. Both the shipping carton and the product label on the rear of the TV clearly identify this TV as a UN24H4000 model. It appears that Samsung has revised the panel configuration of this model to match the separate UN24H4500 model. Both the Setup Guide and Quick Start Guide show the position of the ports correctly.

Set up was relatively simple, with the exception of a great deal of frustration mounting the TV to its base. This model comes with three documents: A Setup Guide; a Quick tart Guide; and a User Manual. All three of these are fold-outs. Even the User Manual is a fold-out, is 16" by 22" in size when opened, printed on both sides, and printed in tiny print. Fold-outs are fine for the Setup and Quick Start guides, but I would much prefer a booklet style User Manual.

Mounting to the base takes three screws installed through a relatively deep cavity on the underside of the stand. The small opening and depth of the cavity makes it very difficult to aim the small screws into the small screw holes. I had to use an set of angled hobby tweezers, and even that wasn't easy. A magnetic bit screwdriver would make it easier.

I read in another review here on Amazon that you must be extremely careful with configuring the TV when you first turn it on because you only get one shot at it. That person returned the set after a botched first attempt. I too had some difficulty with a setup selection as I did not know the difference between STD, IRC, and HRC for the cable setting. I was easily able to totally reconfigure by pressing the Menu key, scrolling down to a gear-shaped icon, which is Plug & Play, then pressing the Enter key. By the way, I later learned that the vast majority of cable tv provider's signal are STD. The IRC and HRC are noise reduction signals used mostly with older cable technology.

Other reviewers have complained about the sound from this model. So far I find the cable tv sound quality and sound volume to be acceptable for my purpose given the fact that it has rear facing speakers and I have it in an enclosure. I expect the sound to improve when I have an HDMI cable tv connection as the sound quality from the DVD player is excellent given the small speakers. By the way, this model has rear facing speakers because it is designed with a thin bezel. Due to that takes up space only slightly larger than the screen. I am able to fit this 24" TV into a tall entertainment center's upper bay that was designed for stacked A/V components. Putting it up high like that is a real plus for the bedroom. An older Visio 22" TV with a larger bezel and front mounted speakers did not fit into that space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, April 10, 2014
I use this TV in the basement with a Roku 3 while working out on my bicycle trainer. I specifically did not want a smart TV because a lot of the research I found was that most of them are laggy and freeze up. I wanted to focus on getting a quality TV that was less than 32 inches, and use the dedicated 3rd party smart box, like the Roku 3. The Roku 3 which works great, has a lot of stuff, and has strong Wifi. I also plug my headphones into the remote on the Roku 3. I like how the TV has different brightness modes, along the line of stand, dynamic, and something else. I can't think of anything that I don't like about this TV.

I would definitely buy this TV again and I probably will for the cabin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the bleeding edge...and that's good, April 29, 2014
Joe Z (Behind The Curve in Rock Hill) - See all my reviews
I just unpacked it, hooked it up to both my cable and an external antenna and it works great! The menu system isn't quite intuitive, but I've seen worse. Just press a few wrong buttons and you'll figure it out.

I replaced my flip phone for a not-so-smart phone (Samsung Galaxy Centura) and I replaced my old flat screen CRT TV for this. In both cases I'm getting way more bang for the buck. My favorite things so far have to do with menu options. I can control the aspect ratio of the image so I get a realistic picture. Also, the speakers, while not great, are adequate, and there's an equalizer function to help old folks like me who lose a bit at the high end. It's not great, and speaker volume is marginal, but both work well in a small room.

All in all, it doesn't blow my socks off, but it does what it's supposed to do, does it well, and won't drain the bank account. 4 stars easy.

Angle of view is a bit of an issue. I sit a bit off to the side and the screen is a tad dark. If I rotate it both my wife and I can see it fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great. All you need to plug & play, December 30, 2014
This review is from: Samsung UN24H4000 24-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
Returned this item because I didn't realize it needed to have 4" of space on both sides to keep it cool. The cabinet I was putting it in did not allow for that. The back of the TV has inputs for RCA cables, and old-school cable as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Quality...again and again., November 3, 2014
This review is from: Samsung UN24H4000 24-Inch 720p 60Hz LED TV (Electronics)
We purchased this TV a couple months ago, and it meets all our expectations for a Samsung TV. We use it in a bedroom on top of a dresser, and it's the perfect size. The screen is crisp and clear, sound is just fine for a bedroom, and setup was very easy. I'm almost 70 years old, so when I get a clear set of instructions and then it all works like it's supposed to, I'm a happy camper!

We started purchasing Samsung TVs about 5 years ago when we started upgrading to flat-screens and have been so happy with them that we continue to stick with this brand. We now have 5 of them in various sizes and models in two different homes, and we've never had one single problem with any of them. Plus, when we see what our friends and neighbors have for TVs, we really feel the quality of the picture and the built-in sound are the best value for the money. We still have 2 more old TVs to upgrade to flat-screens, and they will be Samsungs! And, they will be purchased from Amazon, since we've found no better pricing anywhere else!

5.0 out of 5 stars .., April 13, 2014
Even when is only 720p you can't really notice the difference between this and 1080p tv great tv for my kitchen...

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations, September 17, 2014
The 27 year old NEC 25-26" set in my bedroom finally died. A cabinet was built around it, so it was either major construction to enable purchase of a 40" set or compromise on size. This 28" inch Samsung had exactly the same screen area as my old NEC so I opted for the easy way out..

The picture is spectacular. Vibrant color, clear sharp text, excellent contrast. Best of all is the sound. No its not High Fidelity but I was prepared to spend $300 on a Bose sound bar to enhance speech definition (I'm 77 years old and a bit deaf). The speech clarity and volume is more than adequate. Very pleased with this purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was not aware that a physical power button was ..., October 7, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars My 1st Samsung!, August 26, 2014
UPDATE: I just paired this with Amazon Fire TV and I am blown away by the picture quality as well as the detailed sound. Don't know if Amazon is still doing the promotion but after I bought this Samsung Tv I got an email with a code to get a $15 credit towards an Amazon Fire Tv.

First of all the price is fantastic! This was also my 1st LED TV. My living room TV is a LCD TV. So until I started researching LEDs, I had no idea they were so light! Unlike the LCDs that are so heavy.
This TV weighs no more than 6 or 7 lbs. Which is amazing which meant I could attach the stand myself and set it up wherever I desired since lifting was not an issue.
I set mine up with the stand. The stand is not circular like the one in the picture. Instead it is rectangular and I am so glad!
The HDMI inputs are on the right side of the Tv which I am not a huge fan of but would be easier if Tv was mounted. Has component inputs for DVD player or my Wii.
Very pleased it has a headphone jack since that was one reason that I bought this Tv. I am using this as a Bedroom Tv. Works really great with RCA WHP141B 900MHZ Wireless Stereo Headphones.
Has DTS TruSurround Sound when set on Standard sound also has Music, Movie and Amplify.
The preset picture settings are Standard, Dynamic and Movie.
The picture is much more vibrant and colorful that my Sony LCD.
The sound will not blow you out of the room but I find the sound is really good through my Roku and not as good through antenna. But you have to consider the source.
All in all, I am really glad I bought a Samsung. You really get a lot for your money.