Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 32-Inch|Style: TV|Change
Price:$369.99 - $1,299.99

on July 3, 2014
If by the time you're reading this, the software has been updated and all of the apps work properly, you can skip this first part.

Like many other reviewers have already noted, the TV came without any apps installed. This model was shipped out earlier than it was supposed to. I received it as a compensation item from Dell when the original TV they sold me was out of stock. As a result it was sent out early (I suppose Amazon started shipping too early as well), and when it came, none of the apps worked. Samsung support wasn't incredibly knowledgeable of the situation, but after a little research I found that they weren't compatible yet. Anyway, approximately two weeks later, the TV has updated and now has Netflix, Amazon Instant, and YouTube among others. Still no sign of HBO-GO and Hulu Plus, but I trust Samsung to deliver them soon enough. So if that is stopping your from getting the TV, don't let it. This is bound to be Samsung's standard model for 2014, and you can bet all of the standard apps will be there. On to the review of the TV..

Picture:
The picture quality is excellent. I changed it to Dynamic and tweaked only a few items, and it looks great to me. Of course you'll have to form your own opinion. This IS a 60Hz TV. Don't go by the CMR rating, nothing really looks like its being displayed at 120Hz. But if you don't mind that, the picture is quite good. TV shows and sports look very crisp and bright and it fares well in my room which is quite well lit.

Inputs:
This was kind of an issue for me, but something I should have known going in. The inputs are pretty limited, with only 2 HDMI and 1 composite/AV. That means you can't have a composite and AV plugged in at the same time. I needed to buy an HDMI and AV adapter. Also there's no AV audio, only digital optical. So my current 5.1 system is useless. The speakers are sufficient enough while I search for a new surround sound system, but its a minor frustration that I think Samsung should have considered. Again, I don't think the lack of inputs is enough of a reason to dock a whole star (given that all the information is in the description), but its something you should be aware of.

SmartHub:
The SmartHub idea is great, and the structure is very good, but it is quite slow. The TV takes a few minutes to boot up in general. You can't run any apps while its booting, so this can be a bit frustrating. Once you're in the SmartHub, there is some general lag. Switching back and fourth between the suggested shows and the apps can take a while, but generally the features are there. The TV really does learn what you like based on what you use most often and will suggest apps and channels as such. Though there is some lag, I don't use enough apps for this to be substantial, and despite being slow, the features are very good, and more than fit my needs.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the TV. Setup was easy, its quite sturdy, and the picture is excellent. I docked a star for the lack of the responsiveness of the SmartHub, and lack of inputs. But if you're on the fence, I think its a good buy. Especially now that the apps are starting to come through in software updates.

UPDATE: As of July 15, 2014 HBO GO and Hulu Plus are now available in the app store. I am still very happy with this TV, and would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good budget smart tv.
2323 comments|697 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 4 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.
3434 comments|927 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2015
Wow I have to say I am impressed with this tv! First off the picture quality of this tv is amazing and blows away the 60 inch Samsung plasma tv that we have from 2010. The other awesome feature is the smart tv apps and features... The screen mirroring is so good looking and works flawlessly if you have a Samsung phone like myself. The apps are awesome , they work well and look light years ahead of the older generation of Samsung smart tvs. I actually plugged in a keyboard and mouse and it allows you to have a more natural feel useing the built in web browser. The browser is the only thing I feel needs work. Web pages are a bit slow navigating most likely due to an under powered processor. I'm sure it's going to get better eventually. Overall this is one the best purchases I have made in a long time. Make sure to buy this smart version for the 50$ in price your getting 2.4ghz/5ghz wifi built in and all the apps that make it so you don't even need sat tv service or cable. If you have internet then you will not run out of things to watch and apps to download .,, NICE JOB SAMSUNG
review image review image
22 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 32-Inch|Style: TV|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this TV specifically to use as a secondary monitor for my macbook air so I'll review it as that initially.

Resolution is good, I'm running it via thunderbolt->HDMI and extended monitor mode. 1920x1080. Text is very readable and there is no flicker that would cause eye strain. I'm surprised and pleased with it as a monitor. You do need to use the remote to go to tools->picture size and set to 'screen fit' to size it properly, but after that you're good to go!

I did play with the other features of the TV. Initial setup is easy but time consuming. I joined it to my wifi network without difficulty, but the upgrades took almost half an hour. Once that was complete however it's network connected and ready to go.

Hit the 'smart hub' button on the remote and you'll be taken to a default list of apps. Netflix was the one I was interested in. I signed in with my account and it properly allowed me to select my profile. Once into the app you'll find it's a bit difficult to navigate. No clue as to how you should search, you can only scroll around and select things. Selecting a movie, you'll find it might take long time to load. The quality on newer movies is typically great HD.

Try to do anything in the movie such as FF, turn on subtitles, etc... however and things can go bad quick. At one point the movie started a slow motion jerky frame by frame thing and I was unable to exit the subtitles menu or do anything at all with the remote. I had to unplug the TV to get it back.

It's a nice idea to have wifi and built in apps on your TV. If they work. The good news is this is just software and can be improved. The TV itself has a very nice sharp picture, works great as a monitor and isn't ultra spendy. My rating is based on this rather than the quality of the apps.
44 comments|272 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2014
I have the 32" version and love it! So during Black Friday deals this was one of the specials so couldn't resist purchasing it. It arrived however completely destroyed, but Amazon the good company they are paid for return shipping and refunded my money. After returning this one, I went for a larger TV but highly recommend these models as the samsung smart TV functionality is stellar!
review image
on November 15, 2014
A note of caution when reading my review: This is the first TV I have ever owned. Growing up we had the one 20-year old family TV and in the 8 years since moving out I've exclusively used my computer for watching movies and such. However, I had a blank spot on my wall, some extra cash, and saw a great deal on this and went for it.

First, a quick pro and con list.
PROS
- Thin, light
- Good colors
- nice sound
- Smart: Hulu, Amazon prime, and Netflix are all available
- Can read TONS of file formats

CONS
- Sound isn't super loud
- occasional issues syncing sound and video
- startup time for apps

Review

Setup was simple. I plugged it in, attached the $20 antenna I got (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIFIM36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and turned it on. I was prompted to go to the settings and have it scan for available digital channels, and it found a TON (maybe 15-20 that come in perfectly, and twice that many that I receive with glitches). You can set up favorites and stuff but I don't really watch TV so I haven't bothered with that. Then I clicked the smart button, and it had me connect to my home wifi, no problem, and I was instantly able to browse the apps. Accessing my external hard drive was as easy as plugging it in and hitting the source button on the remote. Also in the sources are the various computers and other file-storing equipment on our network, which I don't use with the TV but it's neat that it all shows up so easily, if I ever did want to have a networked media option.

Physically, the TV is very good. It has clean lines, isn't too thick, and has a relatively narrow bezel around the screen. It wan't be winning any design awards, but it doesn't look ugly or outdated by any means. It looks good. Also it weighs surprisingly little (this may be my inexperience with TVs talking), so even though I have my wall mount (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00393KNVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) extended all the way to the side the TV isn't tilting down at all. On the subject of the wall mount this TV has VESA mounting holes that are 100mm x 100mm. I don't know why that isn't a standard part of the specs. Very irritating. Also the ports in the back are all facing toward the back of the TV rather than down, which hasn't caused me any problems but may be something to be aware of.

The screen is quite bright, evenly lit, with good darks and lights, from what I can tell. Maybe if you had it side-by-side with another TV you could see differences, but I certainly can't. There are no obvious inconsistencies in the lighting and I can tell you the images pop out about 1000x more than on my desktop monitor. Similarly, the colors looked quite good to me straight off the bat (I got mine as an "open box" deal though, so they may have already been altered from how it normally comes). There are a decent number of ways you can play around with them, but not tons. I haven't explored too far into that though. I'm happy with it and don't want to mess anything up.

Sound is good. From reading reviews of various TVs (again, no personal experience to draw on) the impression I get is that you just aren't gonna get great sound from a flatscreen. So it's nice that the sound in this TV is perfectly fine for regular use. It doesn't sound tinny, rattly, or muted. The only issue is that it just doesn't get super loud. So as long as you are watching at a normal volume it's fine, but if you want to switch on Lord of the Rings and truly experience the bone-rattling rumble of the orcs marching on Helms Deep, you'd best plan to hook up an external sound system. One little thing I've come across is that occasionally voices are very slightly out of sync with the video. To fix this, you can fiddle with the audio lag from 0-100 milliseconds, in 10 millisecond increments, but it can be tough to get right. In the end I found +20ms to make most things look fine.

The apps are ok... When you first turn on the TV if you try and access any of the apps it will tell you that the TV isn't ready yet, so you have to wait 3 or 4 minutes for it to finish booting up (if you have cable or an antenna you can watch regular TV during this time, and the other inputs are available pretty quickly if you have an external drive plugged in or anything. Just the apps take a long time). Once you can get to them, they're a little sluggish. Some are better than others, but in general accessing things just isn't as speedy as it would be on, say, a Roku 3. But really, if it takes 20 seconds to get to the video you want instead of 10, who cares, right? That's true, however in certain apps (Hulu+ I'm looking at you) sometimes after a commercial the video will sometimes stall and/or the app will crash. I'm pretty sure that's just a fault of the app maker, not the TV, and can be fixed with a patch, but it's still frustrating. Speaking of patches it seems every few days there's a new update for the TV, but a lot of the time they can be installed in the background, so other than clicking "OK" on one popup box it doesn't make a difference in the viewing experience.

Without a doubt my favorite part is how many file formats it can read, if you're attaching an external drive or watching things off a networked drive. Before I got the TV I'd been spending days trying to convert all the movies and TV shows on my external hard drive to a format that a Roku would be able to read, and wasn't anywhere near finishing. With this TV, all of that was unnecessary. AVI? No problem! MP4? Sure! Separate .srt subtitle file? Bring it! It's wonderful. The TV also remembers where you were in a video file you were watching, even if you've watched something else in between, and will automatically play the next file in the folder (very dangerous for TV shows I've found. There's no countdown to let you re-evaluate you life choices like with Hulu or netflix).
44 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2014
Although I already own three other Samsung TV's (including one Smart TV), I was concerned with all the negative reviews that the product has received. Well, we can put a stop to the CARPING! My new TV went from FedEx to Netflix in 32 minutes including an optical connection, software update, video calibration and screwing the TV to its base. This was, by far, the easiest TV setup I have ever done, and my first set was B/W with rabbit ears. So don't listen to those " Nay Sayers". Setup is a breeze. The picture is great. The Smart Stuff works great. Pandora is beautiful. Netflix is nice and I am ready to watch Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade in glorious color! Order yours today!
22 comments|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2014
I think Samsung makes a great TV. Certainly, that has not always been the case, but since the advent of HD, I think they've been leading the pack. This is a great bedroom television: not too big, not too small, a very good HD picture and decent audio. And I am geek enough to NEED a smart TV. Can't imagine how I ever lived without one. I've had this set for about a year and it's still a beauty. If I'm home, the TV's on, anytime of the day or night and this TV has makes me so happy that I bought a second one.
on January 8, 2015
I bought this TV because of Samsung's brandname and good review. TV arrived on time. However, after I installed it, I notice that near the left edge of the screen, there is an area of 10" by 5" that the color looks dented. It looks like a smeared paper. This is very evident when the viewing angle is off more than 15 degree from the center viewing position, and when the screen has light mono color. I am so surprised that Samsung's quality control allows this to happen. I am in the process of returning this TV. I am attaching several pictures.
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2015
Good picture and sound...that's it. I was a samsung fan until I purchased this smart tv. It is the biggest POS I've ever owned. It takes about 7 minutes for it to warm up before you can access netflix (if it works at all). You turn on the tv, click the control center on the remote and wait....don't push it twice or it pops up and goes away. When you get the commands to eventually come up and try to go to netflix right away, you get a pop up telling you. "preparing tv, please try again later", (really? try again later?) this goes on for about 7 minutes from the time you power it on. Very irritating. The wife and I went to watch a movie last night and it took us 10 minutes just to get it started. Another fun feature is that it makes you sign into netflix every time it loses power. That isn't very often but still, it's a total PITA with a remote and onscreen keyboard. I wish they had this TV in their a**. You're far better off buying a roku. I thought I would save money buying this on black friday for $250. I'm tech savy and I can tell you that this tv will drive you nuts. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot because I will likely be putting mine on here shortly. The only thing stopping me is the picture quality and the fact that I have a roku.
review image