Published 11 months ago by Tee4me

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for cloudy images -- and send it back right away!
I am not an expert when it comes to TVs, so when it came to deciding on a new 55 inch HDTV, I simply wanted a great picture from a solid company. I researched quite a bit and decided on Samsung as they have the reputation of a high end company with quality service and reliable products.

When the TV first arrived I was quite pleased. The screen size was ideal...
Published 10 months ago by Christopher J. Grossman

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for cloudy images -- and send it back right away!, October 24, 2013

When the TV first arrived I was quite pleased. The screen size was ideal for my living room and the picture was good -- not great, but good. The best way to view the TV was by sitting in the center, as the colors did seem to fade a bit if you watched from the side. While 3D was not my motivation for buying this model, I did feel it was a nice addition. And, there is no other way to say it, the 3D is exceptionally impressive. Much better than I expected.

My issue arose in the first two weeks as I noticed that, when viewing darker images, there were large cloudy areas that extended from the edges of the TV. Sports and such was fine as they typically consist of continuous bright images, but the problem would continue to be evident with movies and shows that had a darker theme. The cloudy areas never moved -- they were always stable, and they extended about 1/3 from each edge (direct center of screen was fine).

Rather than immediately send the TV back, I contacted Samsung as I figured they would handle the issue and resolve it (plus I really didn't want to have to go through the return process if it was an issue that could be resolved). The customer service individual was very helpful as they assisted me in scheduling a tech to come and check the issue. About a week later, the tech arrived and I shared the problem. He said he was familiar with the issue and, after looking at my TV for about 1 minute, said he would have to call Samsung to see if they would authorize the repair (they promptly declined). He said that previously he ordered new panels with no issue, but that recently he had been instructed to not repair what they were calling "uneven brightness." I was told that Samsung considers the picture normal unless the defect is visible 100% of the time. So, if the issue only occurs when the screen is darker, it's considered normal.

I know another person who had bought the same model and they had not had this issue, so I called Samsung after the tech visited. The first individual I spoke to was very helpful, understood my frustration, and said that a replacement should be OK as I had only had the TV a few weeks. He noted the issue on my account and had me call another number to have the replacement handled. When I called that number, the rep told me that she could find no record of my discussion with the other rep, and that all she saw was that the tech department considered my unit normal. She said that nothing could be done and that whoever I spoke to previously would not have been authorized to offer a replacement in the first place. End of discussion.

Fortunately, I contacted Amazon as it was still within 30 days, and they had no issue processing a return due to this defect. Initially I was going to just do an exchange for the same model as I obviously got a bad one. However, after seeing how Samsung failed to stand by their product, I really could not continue to support their business. I understand that I probably just got a lemon, but it's those instances that I feel truly test a company's commitment to their standards and customer service. In this instance, Samsung failed exceptionally. In the end, I went with a plasma model from a different brand, and the picture has proven to be amazing.

If you do go with this TV, you probably won't have an issue as it does seem that most people are fine. However, it's important to really test your TV out when you get it. If you do notice this issue, you'll want to return it to Amazon right away. Don't bother contacting Samsung -- they won't help you and the process could extend you beyond Amazon's 30 day policy to avoid restocking/shipping charges.

Hope this helps those fellow shoppers who just want a high quality picture! Good Luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING PICTURE, BUT SMARTHUB'S NETWORK SLOWNESS RUINS THE EXPERIENCE! (UPDATE: IT'S GOTTEN BETTER!), September 21, 2013
Tee4me (Snipeville, OK) - See all my reviews
I bought this TV for the plethora of glowing reviews it received for its picture performance. I also bought it because it had built-in Wi-Fi. The picture quality is simply amazing! Scenes broadcast in HD look as if they're almost 3D, and by that I mean everything is so clear with unbelievable depth that it makes it look like people and things being broadcast are in the room with you! I previously owned a Panasonic Viera plasma TV, and I can honestly say this Samung LED TV has an even better picture. I didn't think any other current TV technology (except 4K) could touch a plasma. I was wrong. I can't say enough about the picture quality.
Now for the bad/sad part. The Samsung SmartHub and its network ruins the total experience of this otherwise fantastic TV. The wifi connected easily and works pretty well for direct Internet surfing. HOWEVER, when you try to use the SmartHub to view streaming content from Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, Blockbuster, etc, it is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! I have upgraded broadband service from my cable provider so my network connection is plenty fast. However, when I tried to use Netflix, Blockbuster and Amazon Instant Video through my new Samsung TV/SmartHub, my streaming video would constantly pause/stop. At first I thought it was my network connection, so I tried to play the exact same HD movie on Netflix through my Wi-Fi enabled LG Blu-Ray player and it streamed perfectly. Let me say that again: The same movie on Netflix - - through Samsung SmartHub = SLOW/PAUSE/STOP; through my LG WiFi Blu-Ray player = SMOOTH, NO HICCUPS (remember, both are using the same WiFi signal being transmitted by my router).

PLEASE do your own due diligence before investing in ANY Samsung product that touts its SmartHub if you plan to use it to watch streaming video, whether it's a TV, DVD or Blu-Ray player. There are many web pages, websites and forums which discuss the DISMAL performance of the SmartHub network (should be renamed "SlowHub"!!). There's even one called "OFFICIAL Samsung Smart Hub Fiasco Thread." For as fantastic as 99% of Samsung products are (I currently own/use 9 other Samsung products such as the Galaxy Note and Epic and I love them), I have to think that they have subcontracted their "SlowHub" service to a Third party. If the quality of the network was as good as their hardware/physical products, it would work smoothly and lightning fast.

To be fair, if Samsung actually listens to its users/customers and actually fixes/upgrades its SmartHub network to actually make it perform acceptably, then I will update my review to reflect that fact. Lastly, I was on the verge of returning this TV because of SmartHub's atrocious and revolting performance, but my better half and I loved the picture so much AND we had an alternate means to stream videos to the TV (vice using SlowHub) that it we decided to keep it.

BOTTOM LINE: If you plan to use this or any other Samsung LED TV to simply watch TV for the superb picture, you'll be happy. BUT, if you plan to use the SmartHub and its "features," you will be SORELY DISAPPOINTED. Picture = 5 stars; SmartHub = 1 star (would give it '0' or '1/2' if Amazon had those as selections).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 11-30-2013

Ok, so I just got home from my business trip. To answer a previous question, the TV does have a LAN port. However, I have not tested it. I don't think I'm going to test it anytime soon as my TV is 50+ feet away from my home computer and router setup (where I have to plug in the LAN cable). If I happen upon a spool of Ethernet cable somewhere for free, I'll connect it. However, I don't really feel like moving either my computer/router setup or my 50" TV just to test the LAN connection.

I did check again to see if Samsung released any software updates to the TV, and they did on 27 NOV 2013. They released Firmware ver.1117.4, T-MST12AKUC. I downloaded it directly through the TV's Wi-Fi connection, then installed it. Everything seems to have installed ok.

The FIRST thing I checked was the performance of the Amazon Prime Video App through the SmartHub. The time was approximately 09:30 a.m., so I assumed it was off-peak hours for cable bandwidth demand. I was actually surprised as it appeared to be working marginally better. At least this time the HD video ("The Avengers") DID NOT pause or stop. That IS forward progress. HOWEVER, the picture was NOT HD i.e. it was grainy and "blocky" (I believe they call it the `screen door effect').

My next test was to compare the Samsung SmartHub streaming video performance against my Roku 3 Streaming Media Player device. I was hoping that my Roku 3 was going to show similar performance to the SmartHub, BUT it again showed the HD Avengers movie with much better quality. Through my Samsung SmartHub = low resolution/grainy/screen door effect; through my Roku 3 = high quality HD like it was supposed to be. Again, at least the movie DID NOT pause or stop using the SmartHub Amazon Prime Movie App.

My second set of tests later in the evening at approximately 08:30 p.m. (which I assumed was a more peak cable bandwidth time on Saturday evening) involved trying the Netflix App through the Samsung SmartHub (using the same movie, The Avengers in HD). When I started the Netflix App through SmartHub, it started a little slow. I started the HD movie and I was again "not surprised" by the low resolution picture. HOWEVER, after about 45 seconds, the picture cleared up SUBSTANTIALLY and it was in HD! No pausing/skipping/stopping. I actually had to stop the movie to double check that I was NOT using my Roku 3, and that I was actually using the Netflix SmartHub App, and I was.

Ok, now I was starting to believe that maybe the software/firmware update actually fixed something, OR they improved their SmartHub network performance between SEP '13 and 11-29-2013. So just for S&Gs, I went BACK to the Amazon Prime Video App through the SmartHub, and resumed playing The Avengers where I left off. Again the App started a slowly, but then `booted up' after about 40 seconds (about 30 seconds slower than my Roku 3). Then the movie resumed and lo and behold if it wasn't in HD! I was standing beside myself! Even my better half couldn't believe it (as she saw how horrible it used to be).

The last litmus test of the evening (at approximately 09:15 p.m.) was to try to stream an HDX movie through VUDU using the Samsung SmartHub. I started the VUDU App through the SmartHub, and it `booted up' faster than Amazon Prime Video App or Netflix App. I really wasn't looking forward to having to rent a movie just to test the VUDU SmartHub App, but to my surprise they had a sale of HDX movies for $4.99 and $7.99 (must be a Black Friday related sale). My better half hadn't seen Wrath of the Titans and I also thought it might give the SmartHub a good test with its healthy offering of CGI and eye-popping colors. Ok, the movie was pretty entertaining, but the thing I was looking for was how it played and how it looked through the SmartHub VUDU App. We were pleasantly surprised that the movie queued up quickly, didn't pause/skip/stop and looked like it played in the max quality "HDX" mode.

BOTTOM LINE: As of today, 11-30-2013, after downloading and installing the Firmware update, the prior issues I was having with the "SlowHub" appear to have been resolved. I haven't drilled down yet on the specifics of what the Firmware update `fixed' and how it did it, but I'm just happy with the outcome at this point. I will continue to test it for several more days to ensure it doesn't revert back to the SlowHub. For now, I have upgraded my rating to 4 Stars from 3. This was a substantial 'fix' in my opinion. However Samsung received its feedback, whether from direct customer complaints, Blogs or product reviews on Amazon, it appears they finally took action to address the 'SlowHub' issues. As I close this reply/update, I am happy to say that I believe the SmartHub is on its way to living up to its name! The only reason I'm not giving a full 5 Stars at this point is I still want to ensure this better performance continues, and it did take several months to fix the issues my TV was having.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay the extra $ over the 6300 even if you don't want 3D, August 3, 2013
Georgia (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This is a superb TV with lots of connection options. It is also 3D.

About the 3D. I did not buy this TV for the 3D capability. I think it is a gimmick. After viewing some 3D content off the Samsung app, I still think it is a gimmick. Sure, it is fun to watch for a little bit. But the 3D experience on a TV is not like at IMAX. There are too many other things in the room that distract you from the picture.

However, you should still buy this TV. It costs about $100 more than the 6300 (or 6350) but is well worth it? Why? Because for that money you get "micro-dimming". This feature is worth it! The blacks are really black and the picture works well even in a brightly lit room (and my room has lots of windows). Also, the micro-dimming removes glare. Here is how that works. When the TV is off, there is a lot of glare on my screen. Turn on the TV and the glare disappears. Amazing.

You can read other reviews for the optimum settings. I am connected to a Yamaha receiver using a single HDMI cable on the ARC (Audio Return Channel) and I get great 5.1 surround sound.

What if you pay more? You gain little (some more 3D glasses) by going up one step to the 7100 (7050). Go up to the 7500 and you get better micro-dimming. The 8000 gives you even better micro-dimming. The 9000 is a 4K TV. In my mind none are worth the substantial cost increase for the features that are added.

In summary, for me this TV is the best value in the Samsung line. A superb picture and plenty of features for a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Quality, April 10, 2013
Finally decided to upgrade from a 4 year old Samsung LCD 6 Series and thought this would be the perfect replacement. Picture quality is crisp and I've yet to throw something at it that it couldn't handle with a 120hz refresh rate although 240hz seems to be the new hype I have trouble really seeing a difference which makes it hard to justify the premium price for it, although this TV is a little on the pricey side it's great for what you pay. Can't judge 3D capability entirely but gave it a whirl using a PlayStation 3 and I must see for at home 3D it's pretty impressive. The TV has an abundance of apps ranging from Facebook to Amazon on demand with more being added as they go. For its size the TV feels incredibly light and is sleek and very thin. The functionality of the remote is a great idea, touch pad, voice recognition, I figured the voice recognition would have been shoddy but it seems to usually get things correct.I was on the fence about this TV but I'm really glad I took the chance, I couldn't be happier with it!

***Update*** 04/24/13

Although I got the TV for its 2D capability I've gotten a chance to thoroughly view some 3D content and I'm pretty amazed with the 3D quality of this TV. It's no movie theater experience but for something that sits in your home it is very impressive. I would like to also note that trying some other 3D glasses in stores from other manufacturers such as LG and Panasonic the 2 included Samsung 3D glasses seem to be the most comfortable, granted extended period of use may hurt your eyes, they are very lightweight so it's not as bothersome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung makes great TV's that are best in their class, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN40F6400 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 4 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

4.0 out of 5 stars samsung un55f6400 55inch smart led tv, September 19, 2013
I ordered the tv , I liked most of the features of the tv,it does a lot of things, after the tv came I noticed, the side angle viewing was not as good as I would like, if you are going to be looking directly into the screen it might be ok, but from the side it seemed to washout,I went online to see if I could find the degree of angle viewing,I never could find this in the specifications, I replaced this Tv with Sony 55"3d led tv, they list the angle view, I can see the difference, both are nice Tv's , it just depends what is most important to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the line 40 inch samsung and the picture shows it, April 14, 2013
This tv is hands down in my opinion the best you can buy in a 40 inch model for 2013. I bought the un40f6300 for my bedroom and the un40f6400 for my living room. Both are great tv's however out of curiosity i put them side by side just to compare the difference in picture and the 6400 3d model definately had deeper blacks and a better contrast in colors making for a overall better looking picture.This was done with both tv's on the same settings and both using the same feed wich is dish network and hd receivers. The 3d on the 6400 is amazing ! I own a panasonic 55st30 with active 3d and in my opinion the 3d on this samsung looks even better. I compared the 3d quality watching avatar 3d. There is nothing about the new samsung i dont love and i had to give it a 5 star rating. It has the coolest remote i've seen also and all the tv feautures work terrific. I can even use my wireless keyboard to navigate the web rather then the remote if i want and it works great. Seriously if you are interested in this television but not sure if its the one, i can assure you i am very particular and i looked at every 40 inch led there is and this one had the best picture of any 40 inch led on the market today. Hope i was of help for those that are trying to make a decision..

4.0 out of 5 stars A great TV... if you've never owned a Plasma, June 21, 2013
Gerriet Bolt "Pop Lifer" (IOWA CITY, IA United States) - See all my reviews
My last 2 TVs have been plasmas, and while I adored the picture quality and natural, cinematic motion, I grew annoyed with having to obsess over the possibility of burn-in or image retention. I know, I know... today's plasmas are practically worry-free in the area of burn-in. Except that my 2011 Samsung got it from some weather delay announcements during the break-in period (when I wasn't around to monitor). It's still on there to this day, though luckily you have to look pretty hard to notice. Plus there was the infamous "buzz" noise that many plasma owners have had to suffer through, seemingly at random (some people hear it, others don't, it depends on elevation or your viewing angle, etc., etc.). Plus the super glossy screen basically turned into a flashlight during the day, reflecting any and all light sources coming from the window. Due to all of these factors, I jumped onto the LED-LCD bandwagon. I was immediately disappointed.

Now I must admit that I am a mid-range home theater level snob/elitist. Many of you will no doubt be completely satisfied by this TV, particularly if you have never owned a plasma. Those of you who would prefer to continue your life looking through LED-lit glasses might want to stop reading. Here goes...

NEGATIVES: Off-angle viewing is incredibly poor. Even if you are practically dead center, you can still rock back and forth in your seat and see the black bars turn lighter. When I stand up to get a snack or something, I can see the screen get lighter, and anybody who visits and is not sitting directly in front of the TV will have washed-out colors to look forward to. Screen uniformity is okay, but there are bluish blobs on the sides of the screen that are glaringly apparent during dark scenes. No matter what picture settings you tweak, they will always be there. Now it's possible that those are unique to my particular screen, but I doubt it. There is also a bit of "flashlighting" in the corners, though you can only see it during dark scenes.

Motion is just awful compared to Plasma. I have tried every setting. The one that works the best is Custom, Blur Reduction at 10 and Judder Reduction to 0 (as suggested by CNET for the previous year's model). Having AutoMotion turned on with anything other than this setting induces the infamous soap opera effect, which apparently many people do not even notice. High def programming looks good with AutoMotion on these custom settings (though there is still occasionally a strange, "simmering" effect on faces and the occasional hitch in wide, panning shots- these problems increase if you turn the AutoMotion setting off completely).

When I switch to DVDs (on the same input, using an Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver), there is so much hitching and frame skipping in the picture that I have to switch AutoMotion from Custom to off. This could be the result of the SD material being upconverted to HD. Also, the PQ looks noticeably worse on standard def programming. The PQ settings that look great for HD suddenly look awful for upconverted DVD. On my plasmas, this was never an issue. But the imperfect motion is the real deal-breaker for me. I find it incredibly distracting. Had I not owned plasmas, I may not have even noticed. Now for my final qualm: the screen still has a pretty fair amount of glare and reflection during the day. Really doesn't seem like much of an improvement over my plasma. Apparently many of the LED-LCD screens are also glossy now in order to achieve deeper blacks.

POSITIVES: In terms of contrast, most HD programming looks almost as good as plasma. It's just too bad that the vibrant colors and fairly deep blacks are overshadowed by the unnatural motion, the poor off-angle viewing, the "flashlighting" in the corners and the bluish blobs I mentioned earlier. There's no buzz and no worrying about image retention or possible burn-in. The smart TV features suite is excellent, especially the inclusion of HBO Go. The remote is interesting, but will take some getting used to for most everyone. These features are the same on the comparable plasma models.

BOTTOM LINE: I'm a huge cinephile. I watch at least four movies a week and I love HD programming. Many of my favorite shows are still only available in SD, however, and those look noticeably worse on LCD compared to plasma. In spite of the plasma flaws I mentioned earlier, the most important aspect in selecting a TV is getting the best picture quality possible, at least as much as a person's budget will allow. I want the colors to be vibrant and the blacks as realistic as possible. I also need realistic, cinematic motion. That's why I'm going back to plasma. I knew it was a risk to switch after four years, but I didn't expect there would be so many compromises. But most people will be fine with this, especially if they've never witnessed the difference. The 60" plasma model is about $500 cheaper, has the same features and better picture quality. Sure, I may have to baby it a little during the "break-in period." But it's totally worth it to have a picture I can marvel at and which will allow me to become totally immersed in the experience again. If you think I'm being an elitist, read 90% of the LED-LCD reviews on CNET. Many of those have the same complaints I have outlined here.

UPDATE:

I've spent some more time with the TV this week, and found that these 2 settings were causing the smeary faces effect: Digital Clean View and MPEG Noise Filter. I have turned them off and now have virtually no problems with the motion. I have the PQ looking great for HD, but Standard Def still doesn't look as good as it did on Plasma. But I don't think that's enough of a reason to return it. SD will always look like garbage compared to HD, anyway. I have the black levels looking great... the "flashlighting" is very minor and those bluish blobs I spoke of are pretty much unnoticeable except in very dark scenes, and even then, you have to look for them to find them. I do like that the TV is brighter in the daytime, even if there is still some glare from the window (or the lamp at night). It's a slight improvement for daytime viewing when compared to my last two plasmas. The off-angle viewing is poor, but that really doesn't affect me with the way I have my living room set up. All things considered, I will keep the TV and have upgraded my review to 4 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, until ..., January 19, 2014
I read so many wonderful revliews of this television before deciding to buy it. I swear, I AM the person who reads copious reviews first. So yes, I had read that a small but noteworthy amount of reviewers had found that it just shuts itself off - for no apparent reason. But I thought they were probably faulty televisions, delivered to a small few.

Gulp. Mine does it, too. Now, ordinarily, I save the boxes for practically everything, but in the interest of not appearing to be the hoarder that my kids have claimed I am, I tossed the boxes. Amazon, for their part, have been fabulous, and told me to just send the television back in any box. And because it was ordered at Christmas time, I can get it back before January 31. But can you imagine trying to find a way to adequately pack a giant television?!

So, some advice:

1) Yes, some just shut off. A lot.
2) Save the box!

As for the quality of the television WITHOUT the "shut down" issue - I totally totally totally LOVED IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 weeks use and loving it!, May 17, 2013
This Samsung 55 LED arrived via Pilot delivery service. Contrary to previous reviews of Pilot - my experience with them was top notch. Communications with Pilot were great via email. I ordered the Tv on Saturday and it arrived Thursday. The handlers were polite and opened the TV with care. They did not place the TV on stand. We felt comfortable taking time to view the TV and check front and back surfaces.

When the TV was turned on the first time, we were instantly impressed!! Our previous Samsung 46 LCD - was 4 years old and had been purchased through Amazon. A nice picture improvement going from LCD to LED. Paper manual is limited.

TV found my wireless router setting easily. I was able to pair my wireless Apple keyboard to this TV. With my Medialink N Router, internet speed on TV is okay - the option of using TV for website use is sufficient and I had fun trying it out.

I did download to my ipad the Samsung App THX tune-up. It was helpful and I did make some adjustments from the factory setting.

The TV settings are fairly easy to navigate. I plugged in to 3 of the 4 HDMI ports: Apple TV, Roku and Samsung Blu-Ray player. Mirroring Apple TV to Samsung is easy and so great to stream TV shows from apps such as ABC, NBC and CBS for example.
I was disappointed as I had used my Bose wave radio (which is approx 8-9 yrs old) on my previous Samsung TV - which amplified the TV sound very nicely, but am unable to use the red/white cables to get a sound through the Bose from this TV. From googling, other Bose radio owners have had similar difficulty - something to do with the difference in technology in hooking it up. I dont quite understand all of it.

So far, this TV is doing everything I expected it to do. Sharp picture with the cinema screen, peripheral hardware works well through the HDMI ports. Internet use with paired keyboard is easy to use and fun to try, no problems noted with internet connection quality.

Rate and Discover Movies