Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on May 5, 2009
My requirement for a television is quite simple: plug it in to the cable box and have it work the first time; then turn on the sports event of the day, e.g. Mets or Yankees, Jets or Giants, etc. The Samsung 46 inch LED TV does that very well. You plug it in, it works.

This TV does more with less. It weighs only about 40 pounds plus another 10 pounds for the stand. Compare that with the older Samsung 950 model of the same size which weighs 70 pounds. The elegant stand allows for easy rotation. The TV is only a little over one inch thick! Power consumption has been measured by reviewers at about 105 watts. The 950 model comes in at 180 watts.

The picture is great. The contrast ratio, rated at 3,000,000 to 1, exceeds that of older LCD TVs. The black areas are dark and the picture has an almost 3D quality. There are four preset picture options. I chose the "normal" setting. The next higher setting, "standard", makes infield grass look almost dayglow. I do not think that there is a need to have any further adjustment done on the picture. However, there is an automatic dimming of the overall brightness for dark scenes. For instance, when the credits of a movie run against a black background the lettering becomes dimmer. This has no effect on sports, but does effect dark movie scenes.

The screen surface does reduce reflections but does not eliminate them entirely. The black frame is shiny and does also reflect some light. Rotating the screen to the best angle helps.

The remote provides choices for four picture size variations. I use "16:9" for the HD format or "wide" to make the non-HD, 4:3, video fill the screen. That loses some of the 4:3 picture at the top and bottom edges, but the picture quality is still good.

The sound also has four preset choices. Although, the internal speakers are not bad, I decided to use my sound system for the audio. The TV has an audio output connection, but the TV remote volume control only allows variation in the sound level for the internal speakers. The audio output stays at a constant level. I got around this by taking the audio from my cable box directly to my sound system and controlling the level with the cable remote. This works.

Although Samsung provides a version of the instruction manual on a USB drive with the TV, I found it easy to download and print a pdf of the manual from the Samsung support center. Having the printed manual is helpful. See my comment for the web address of the support center.

After one month, I still really like this TV. It is great for sports. An added bonus is that my electric bill has actually gone down.

Note: This review was written for the 6000 model. The 7000 model differs from the 6000 model in its I/O capabilities. Recently some people have reported that the 7000 has a better picture. If you do not need the extras, go with the 6000 and save a few dollars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2009
I won't go into as much detail as some others, but I do want to say that I've had this TV for 3 weeks and I absolutely love it. One thing I noticed on all TV's my friends have is when the scene goes dark, you can see the entire screen glow and most LCDs will only go so dark. Due to LED technology, which does not disappoint, this TV will go pitch black on dark scenes and very bright on light scenes.

One thing I do want to mention is that Samsung's Auto Motion Plus (AMP) is something that takes time to get used to, if you choose to use it. The funnies thing I've read about this TV is a person who paid over $2k and then sent the TV back because they said TV made everything they watched "look cheap, like a soap opera", so they rated TV one star, shipped it back to the store and bought a different brand. As soon as I got the TV hooked up, I popped in Matrix II into the DVD player and I did notice what that person was talking about. Entire movie didn't feel quite like a movie, but more like someone was holding a video camera and was following all the car chases and everything else. It did remind me of those "cheap" TV programs, but is also looked kind of like you are actually there. I read more about it and realized that if I turn off AMP, the TV will show everything "normally" and there is absolutely no reason to send it back if AMP is not your thing.

However, I read more about AMP and from what I can tell, it is the imperfections in normal movies and motion blur that we are all used to. What AMP does is figure out where all moving objects are, "unblurs" them and actually plays back the scene at 120fps instead of 24fps. Extra frames are extrapolated based on object motion in the scene. The result is that everything is extremely sharp and clear and motion blur is almost entirely gone. I've seen Matrix II about 8 times and when I watched it with AMP turned on, I noticed extra cool, little details which I've never even noticed before when watching it on a regular TV.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon July 5, 2009
This TV has produced a lot of controversy. After having spent a lot of time wading through it, passively and actively (debating it in threads), I came to the conclusion that I would get this set for a number of reasons:

1. I was not convinced by the people who were claiming that there were serious issues with this TV. One reviewer claimed to have seen trails in large dark objects. I went to the store and found NO ability to see it, and it was right next to the 750 (and a lot of other sets). As to the LED being edge and thus the lighting being inconsistent, ditto. I am not saying that it's all lies and local dimming is useless. I am saying that it's not something I can see right now (and that's really all I care about).

2. This set is INSANELY thin. I have a space for mine where this actually makes a big difference.

3. I like to vote with my dollars. This is the lowest consuming television ever made. The CNET list of sets showed that the range was 8:1, which is pretty phenomenal if you think about it; in cars, mileage is not even that spread out. This is a REMARKABLE achievement and it's a drag to hear people whining about dumb little imperfections that 99% of people would never see while they are buying from the other end of the spectrum. Of course, the amount of energy less you are going to use is not going to make a revolution, but a tiny percentage of all TVs using this amount would make a huge difference (game theory 101).

The biggest difference from my prior set (Westinghouse LCD) is this one actually has blacks.

The controls, menus, remote, etc., are all fine (I use a universal remote). Having a bunch of HDMI ports is great. I plugged in the connection to the web and looked at the Yahoo Widgets. Calling them useless at this point is an understatement. Should be interesting to see what is coming from that direction.

The argument that if the 750 looks just as good, save the money and get that is a compelling one. In terms of value overall, I paid ~$1500 for my 42" Westinghouse 3 years ago. I just replaced it because it had developed background noise (patterns you could see). If this set lasts 2 more years, it will have exceeded the prior value in size and savings of energy.

Again, this is a remarkable achievement in an industry that had told us we'd all be using power sipping OLED by now, this is a hybrid strategy, here today.
on February 12, 2010
I bought this TV about a week ago and have been fairly impressed. There is a lot to like about this TV, but there are also a few problems.

The Good:
The picture is great; very clear with both HDTV and BluRays. The black levels and contrast are very good. The sound isn't terrible (with some tweaking), but it isn't anything to write home about. The settings are very intuitive and easy to work with.

The Bad:
I've already mentioned the sound, but it bears repeating: the sounds levels are just okay. You will not be able to turn the bass up to what I would call an acceptable level without making the speaker housings vibrate which can be very annoying. This wasn't a deal killer for me as I paired it with a surround sound system, so I barely hear the TV speakers.

This TV is terrible for gaming. I should qualify this: This TV is terrible for playing music type games. There is considerable input lag using a Wii, even with the game mode turned on. I attempted to play Guitar Hero: World Tour after connecting the Wii to the TV using the new composite cables I had to buy (more on that in a minute), and found it to be unplayable. Because there is considerable lag, the strum does not register until just after the notes have passed, resulting in a missed note... many, many missed notes actually. This is not acceptable for me.

There are not enough inputs for gaming devices and there are only inputs for HD devices. While this may seem like a stupid complaint, remember that neither the Wii, nor the PS2 (outdated I know, but bare with me) have an HDMI output. I had to go buy HD Composite cables for both and a switch box because there is only 1 composite input on the TV. These cables aren't really cheap, so that was another $60 I had to shell out. Also, there are only 4 HDMI inputs total, so if you have multiple gaming systems, a BluRay player and a cable/satellite box, you may need to buy an HDMI switch to get everything to work.

The Ugly:
You will need to take quite a bit of time to calibrate this TV to make everything look the way it should. Here is a quick tip though: if you don't want everything you watch to have the quality of a commercial, turn off the 120Hz options (located in Picture Options > Auto Motion Plus 120Hz). Some people may like the ultra crisp effect that this adds to movies and programs, but I just feel it makes everything look very plastic and without depth.

All-in-all, this is a decent TV, that could be great for some... but terrible for others. If nothing I listed will bother you, this is a great TV for the money and will not disappoint.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2009
I was eyeing this tv the day it was introduced and had to put it off for a while because of my upcoming wedding.

After that was over though, I was right back to salivating over this set. I was ready to pay retail for this at a certain blue big-box store. Never even thinking to check Amazon for it. Long story short I did and I am in LOVE with this set! It has been worth every penny so far.

I have been drawn to Samsung LCD's ever since they came out with the Touch of Color. We ended getting this one in the red because it brought a really good balance of color to our living room. This tv is also available in TOC gray at the aforementioned big-box store. But why get something this beautiful in a color that won't make it stand out?! Of course the profile only being a little over 1" makes this look incredible mounted with Samsung's slim wall mount kit. With the kit it only stands off of the wall about two inches and is easy enough to install. I love when people first come over and see it. I get comments on how nice this tv is every time. And that's before I even turn it on!

Hit the power button and WOW, the colors are just incredible and the blacks are actually black. No issues have been seen that have been mentioned in other reviews(ie: inconsistent backlighting). I was afraid I was going to have to adjust the settings like crazy to get the screen as good as it looked in the store. Boy was I wrong. I changed maybe two sliders slightly in the menu. Speaking of which.... the menu's are very easy to use and are laid out thoughtfully. Everything seems to be customizable too, including the standby light and little jingle when you power on and off(Nice touch, Samsung! I cannot say the same for the Vizio in our bedroom.). Tons of connections in the back too.

I also cannot get around the fact that this tv just flat out saves us money too!! It's power consumption is insanely low. We use the DLNA Technology in this to access our home server directly and watch movies, listen to music and view photos we have saved. So it is on almost all the time in our home. I was intending to do this with whatever tv I purchased so this one is essentially paying for itself over a standard LCD. And of saving money makes my wife happy! :)

Two things that bug me though:

The internet features that seperate this model from the 6000 series seem to be of limited function though. I check it occasionally to see the new content that is available, but nothing has really seemed to interest me yet. I will keep watching though, I have heard of some promising things on the horizon for this.

The glossy finish on bezel is EXTREMELY SCRATCH PRONE!! I knew this, my wife did not. With luck though, I realized that Zaino show car wax fixes the bezel back to better than new. Much better actually! It almost looks liquid now! I have yet to take a good picture but look at the Nissan 350Z on their home page and you'll get the idea. [...]

I would say that covers all of the major stuff with the Samsung UN46B7000. I have owned this tv for about four months now and would say that if any other annoyance would be popping up, it would have happened by now. Thanks for reading and hope I helped you decide to pick up this amazing television! Please rate!!
on September 1, 2009
I had the Samsung UN40B7000 for about 3 weeks and loved the picture quality and the features it has. Coming from a 27 to a 32 and now a 40" I love the large screen size. I would have thought the large the screen the more defects I would notice on the screen but that did not affect me at all. Now I can't see my shelf viewing a smaller screen at all anymore. This past week I noticed that the prices on the UN40B7000 and UN467000 dropped dramatically at my local Fry's $1499 for the 40" and $1699 for the 46" and both included the Samsung BD P1600 Blue Ray Player worth $225 for FREE. I had no choice but return my 40" and replaced it with the 46" for the same price I paid for the 40" and received the Free Blue-Ray player. Now that I have hooked up the UN467000 I love the bigger screen and happy I upgraded to the 46" for the same price.

I didn't notice any flashing or black corners on both of my Samsung 7000, only clear high resolution picture with vivid colors. Compared to the Sony XBR9 the Samsung LED picture quality is bright and the color pops out. HD picture is awesome and the SD is okay for an LCD much better than my old 32" and my brothers XBR4. With 3,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and 120hz Auto Motion that you can be turn off or adjusted this TV has an it all.

Blue Ray movies is outstanding, best picture I've ever seen in any TV set and the standard DVD plays great as well not Blue Ray quality but it's a step up from my old TV. But I don't know if it's because of my new 46" 7000 or the new Samsung BD P1600 that Fry's throw in that make the picture much better or both.

I have the TV set up with the PS3 and it's great. The picture quality is amazing no blur affects at all in fast movement.

Speakers could be better but what do we expect for a TV that is 1.2" thin. I've purchased the Sony HTC T100 sound bar to get better sound. I must say the HTC T100 has a great sound and meets my expectation and needs (See my review).

I haven't yet connected the TV to the internet to see how the widget or DNLA works but I have used the USB connection to plug in my flash drive to view movies, picutres and listen to music. I've even connected my I-pod to it and it plays my music, video and even charges the battery.

Overall this TV is the best LCD TV I've seen and I've been looking for months. The prices are steadily going down and it's much more affordable to go larger now than it was a month ago and according to what I've read the prices might go even lower when it gets closer to the Super Bowl and of course Black Friday. I highly recommend this TV to any one who is looking for a thin set that doesn't compromises picture quality, features or price.
on September 11, 2009
Great TV... fantastic picture, plethora of inputs (no s-video though, but who cares, you have plenty of HDMI's), ok sound, super slim, energy efficient, oh yeah...did i mention fantistic picture!?! =)

Yes i know, you see on AV forums that people say there's spotting, and the side scratches easily...blah blah blah...

Invest in a calibration DVD and take an hour out of your day to calibrate your new toy!! Makes a world of difference. Or if you're lazy just go on CNET and copy their settings. BTW this TV is rated on CNET as one of Top 5 best HD TV's of 2009, it was #3, beaten out by two i guess that makes it the #1 LCD then

This TV has a bunch of features, enough inputs to satisfy everyone (I have my cable box, PS3, Laptop all plugged in).. with inputs to spare!

As with all Samsungs, it seems that the sound is lacking "Oomph", but the form factor (ULTRA THIN) and great picture more than make up for it.. awaiting my HTCT-500 soundbar to arrive. should solve the minor problem!

I watched Planet Earth BR on this and can say FOR SURE i can notice a clarity difference over the LNxxB650 series... TOC red styling is a bit more noticeable than the LN series but not too bad.. you can turn off the little LED on the bottom via settings... and aside from admiring how thing it is, when are you every checking out the edges anyways?

The 120 hz was more than enough to WOW me (considering your normal HD inputs from cable box is only in 60hz anyways)..I think the widgets are useless on this TV, but then I have my laptop docked to it so i dont really need it...

Some people say that you save some coin by getting the 6000 over this 7000 one, but I agree with the CNET review that you CAN see some difference in the picture quality by picking the 7000.... though i couldnt justify going to the 240 hz 8000 series....

Previously I had a LN40B650 and I returned feeling that I had "settled" (seeing that amazon dropped the price by $100 just 1 week week after I got it annoyed me as well)... I picked up this baby for about $1600 including a free samsung 1600 series BluRay Player at frys.. and now waiting for the tons of BluRays and PS3 games i ordered on amazon...

All in all i think this TV is a great mid-level choice with tons of features, enough to be a decent spec-wise for at least a few years...
on October 17, 2009
Let me start off by saying that this TV is amazing. I purchased this item from amazon a few weeks ago and everything about the transaction has been smooth and enjoyable. I did a lot of research on various LCD, LED TV's. After countless hours of research I decided that this TV would best suit my needs. I decided on the 7000 over the 6000 because of the internet capability and extra picture adjustments. I would have liked the 8000 but the price for the extra resolution and refresh rate wasn't justifiable in my opinion. I ordered this TV on Friday and received the TV on the following Wednesday. Once the TV was delivered I was blown away from the thickness of the TV. I knew how thin the TV was but was still shocked during the unboxing of the TV. I ordered a wall mount from monoprice. The only problem I had with mounting the TV is that the included screws weren't long enough to secure the TV to the Mount. I found some screws laying around the house that solved this problem. Once the TV was connected, I hooked up my PS3 for blu-ray testing with The Dark Knight. I had the picture set to Dynamic and the opening scene blew me away. The colors were sharp and the action scenes were amazing. If you are in search of a new TV, I would strongly recommend this TV. Amazon made the transaction easy and painless. Amazon's price and service can't be beat.
on December 28, 2009
The title says it all. I him-hawed for 2+ months reading and looking around and finally decided on the Samsung.

I was somewhat hesitant due to reviews downgrading the sound quality. I almost bought a Bose Cinemate II system at the same time to use for sound and am glad I did not. Mind you we use it as a TV and not so much as a theater system. I think the sound is just fine for TV programs and does OK for movies too. It has an SRS mode that certainly enhances the sound over the normal mode so it's what we use. Clarity is good etc. I don't think we'd even use a Bose system for normal viewing; only for movies.

I was also hesitant due to a review I read regarding some kind of lack-of-brightness anomaly in the screen center due to the edge LED's vs full screen LED. I've tried to see whatever it was the person was referring to and can't. It may have been while gaming which I do not do on this particular unit.

I am the last of my circle of friends/relatives to get a flat screen and am glad I waited. The LED and 120hz was worth the wait. The 'circle' owns Sony Bravia's, Vizio's, Sharp's, Panasonic's and they have all been amazed with the Samsung. I'm not bragging; merely pointing out there are an array of people with other nicely rated flat screens that have been impressed seeing this one so that speaks volumes. My son who has had HD for years was chuckling because he could not believe the level of detail he was seeing on the screen. I bring these comments in because I was understandably bedazzled as a new-to-HD person, but the others are all 'veterans' so to speak.

The bright black bezel surrounding the screen is initially distracting but becomes invisible after a day or so. It will however reflect bright lights, sun etc as it does on our set up but isn't too bad. If one were offered with a matte finish I'd get it. The unit easily rotates +/- 20 degrees on the included stand which is welcome to help in reducing the bezel reflection (lots of windows in our house). I suppose thin screen would be nice for a wall mount but makes no difference to me on sitting on a TV stand as we use it.

Menu stuff seems fine. Takes some getting used to the additional items not found on a CRT/non HD set we had. Nice addition is the 'baby' remote. The 'baby' remote is a small second remote with a volume up/down & channel up/down disk and a power button. The main remote is in the drawer after initial set up.

Set up was easy - pretty much hooked up the HDMI and turned it on. Could be my ignorance showing up, but I like the fact the TV seems to have an auto detect mode for the signal. When we go from HD channel to a non HD channel the TV switches to the 4:3 screen mode automatically and puts the vertical bars in. The sets I've seen in my 'circle' do not seem to do that, so in non HD you're watching people with stretched faces etc; maybe they never set it up? I don't know. The Samsung was out of the box that way.

Definitely recommend.
on February 22, 2012
We have enjoyed this HDTV for almost 2.5 years.

But the screen has just self destructed with an overlay of colored vertical bars. The technician has said it is not worth the cost to replace the screen. It was an $1800.00 item when bought. In the past we have purchased high end TVs and this is the first one that has ever had problem. Maybe this was a fluke, but to lose a TV in this short a period, is enough for me to cross Samsung off my list for anything.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse