on December 2, 2011
I was hesitant about buying this TV but went for it anyway. I'm glad I did. This is my first LED TV. I was looking to replace my big-screen projection TV, but my budget didn't allow the size I needed. So I figured I'd settle for this one with the intention of moving it into the bedroom later on. I didn't need all the extra connections, and definitely didn't want a 3D TV. This model seemed to provide what I needed. I haven't been able to check out all of the features completely, so I'll update my review later. But for now, it really is an awesome TV.

Pros:
- The picture is absolutely beautiful in HD. Almost life-like. Out of the box, it wasn't great. I had to play with the settings to get it the way I wanted it. I found it better to turn off the Clear Motion and just run it at 120hz with no software enhancements. I have yet to find another type of viewing that would benefit from the 240hz. But I haven't watched football or Nascar yet :)
- Full LED; EnergyStar 5.0 - bet ya can't find that in a LCD or Plasma! $12/yr avg cost of energy :) Color, contrast, sharpness, etc., the picture is just... wow! Can't tell the difference between this 4,000,000:1 vs. 5,000,000:1 ratios. Blacks are dark, whites are bright; settings to adjust that too.
- Sound: WOW! I expected crappy sound from tiny speakers, but man was I wrong! The sound setup has many different options. Sound Modes include: Standard (real good stereo but no effects), Amplified (what I use, like boosted stereo), Music (greater stereo sound with added bass and crisper treble), Movie (theater sound), & Clear Voice (mono?). Other options for speakers, sound effects, etc. I can't express how impressed I am with the sound from a 1" thick TV.
- Internet Apps: Lots of choices for movies, music, social networking, etc. Basically the same ones the other mfgrs are offering. All easy to use.
- Design: front panel controls are Touch sensitive, NO buttons!!! Love it! Remote: kinda large, but allows control of movies and Internet apps; intuitive, no need to read the manual. Finish is beautiful; says it's a Rose-Black, but I don't see any color at all in it. Looks deep black, high gloss to me. Very thin, stand is sturdy or can mount TV panel on wall. No connections coming out of the side of the TV (all in the back) reduces eye-sore clutter.
- straightforward & intuitive; easy to work with and adjust settings. Tons of settings to tweak it just the way you want it.
- when changing sources, it remembers the setting you had last with each particular mode so you don't always have to go in to change it every time.
- view pics/vids from usb thumb drive / ext drive, wireless network connect to access shared media (movies, music, pics) from your computers.

Cons:
- No ethernet port to hard-wire. Need wifi dongle for internet apps. On the upside, I got the Rosewill RNX-N1 dongle for $33 that works seamlessly and only costs half the price of Samsung's dongle. Software not necessary; just plug it in. I don't know if a USB Lan adapter (for ethernet port) will work with this TV; if anyone knows, please let us know :) Otherwise, the Rosewill works perfectly and all apps I've tried also work. Rosewill gets its own review ;)
- Limited connection ports: no optical for sound bar, but it's not needed anyway. Home theater can be ran through BluRay HDMI or Receiver component/composite. Has 2 HDMI, 2 USB, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 mini jack.

Overall, this TV was made for an excellent picture and sound with minimal fluff. And that's exactly what they achieved. Perfect for a small living room or a master bedroom. Hook up a BluRay player or laptop; that's all you really need. Just get the dongle for wifi and you're good to go! Highly recommend to anyone who's after picture/sound/price on the priority list ;)

UPDATE:
It's only been a few days, but I've been obsessed with playing around with all the settings! LOL So this what I've settled on for now. Understand that everyone has different preferences, so what I like is probably not what you like :)

Turning OFF the Motion feature provides a crisper picture, clear defined lines, without blur. When it's turned on, straight edges look jagged, blocked, and blurred. I did turn it on while watching an HD football game yesterday and found that the Standard setting was better than Smooth (I turned it back off after the game was over). It seems the more you turn it up, the blurrier it gets. Although it may reduce and even eliminate judder, it's most definitely blurry. (Comcast Cable)

For regular viewing, I use the following:
Picture Mode - Standard
Backlight - 14
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 51
Auto Motion Plus - Off
LED Motion Plus - Off

The different picture modes automatically change the other settings in order to "create" that particular mode. It's kinda like a one-click solution for a fast setup instead of going in and changing up to 4-8 individual settings.

I played around with a few other settings, but only made slight changes just to increase vibrancy/color saturation/warmth. Like I said, you have to experiment to find what you like :)

I changed the setting for DVD's to Dynamic picture mode. Had to make some other adjustments once I did that, but I've had to tweak it for each movie I tested it on.

I downloaded the AllShare software from Samsung and installed it on my desktop computer. The wifi router shows the TV on your network. I found if you place files in the program's default folders, it duplicates the files. Much easier to just add (link) your already existing folders/locations.

Hope this info helps :) Enjoy!
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2011
I bought this tv last week and I am so very pleased with it.
I chose this model for several reasons but one big one is that it is NOT 3D....not falling for that fad stuff! I also run all my things through an AV receiver...which everyone should be doing already, so I didnt care if it even had speakers built in..just gonna mute em anyway. Only need one HDMI port, everything is funneled through the receiver again. This tv is light. I was able to replace my bulky 720p 60 pounder with this 30 or so pounder using the same wall hanging mount ...BONUS! It's so thin it's almost too close to the wall now, so awesome!
You will spend a bit making sure all your tv settings are right for the style of tv you watch...fast action movies and sports vs soap operas :P But once you get it right Man o Man. What a great buy.
So for those of you not wanting a 3D fad tv, not needing 8 million inputs, not needing awesome high def speakers....this is your tv!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2011
Good:

1) Great picture, which is why I bought the TV. 240 refresh rate.

Bad:

1) While this is an internet connectable TV, you can ONLY do this with a wireless adapter, which you have to buy at additional cost. You cannot connect with a LAN cable as there is no LAN port on this TV. I was both surprised and disappointed with this. I bought an LG Blu-ray player, which came with a LAN port for internet apps and cost about the same as the wireless adapter for this TV.

2) The remote is less than basic - you can't control your cable box or DVD player.

3) Stand and overall quality/finish of the TV is not great. Even the screws to assemble to the stand were machined poorly and don't fit well. Stand does not rotate.

4) Very limited Inputs and Outputs!

Samsung really stripped everything out of this TV. They should have left the smart TV out as well and lowered the price point further. It doesn't feel like a high-end product at all, which is a shame because it could be a fantastic looking set if the finish were slightly better.

I replaced a Toshiba TV with this one and that had many more bells and whistles for a similar price. LG have a 47" at a similar price point, which also seems to have many more features.

Perhaps Samsung can ship everyone a better stand, wireless dongle and a better remote all for free!

Will likely return this set and buy another one.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this TV at Best Buy on Black Friday, and it's been a great investment so far. Right put of the box, it was beautiful: glossy, black, and thin. In my opinion, the quality's great. I made sure to check it over as I was setting it up.

First things first, this TV came "Smart TV READY" meaning, it is capable of using wifi but doesn't have the adapter. It's really weird, I know, but that's what it means. So for those complaining about how it doesn't come with an adapter, well, you have to understand it has already warned you. You simply didn't understand the technical babble. If you're looking for a TV that comes with usable wifi, look for TVs that SAY 'wireless adapter included' or something similar.

PROS:
~ Picture. It has a Gorgeous--yes, capital G--display. Yes, it took some tweaking to get it just the way I want it, but it wasn't a difficult thing to do. A few adjustments here and there took only a few minutes. It also has a 240 refresh rate! I game a lot, and the amazing refresh rate makes everything look super smooth. I actually just set it to 120 for some of my less action-intense games, and it is absolutely breath-taking.
~ Sound. Yeah, it isn't surround sound, but it sounds a lot better than most TVs I've seen.
~ Easy set up. Seriously. This thing is LIGHT! I could pick it up with one arm. The stand and screws in my set fit perfectly. I know someone mentioned that theirs was a pretty bad fit. All I know is mine was more than just fine.
~ Energy Saver! An average of $12 a year is phenomenal!

CONS:
~ It doesn't have many inputs and outputs, but that's not even a big deal. I have an input/output hub station thing for my entire entertainment system. I suggest people invest in one nowadays because no matter how many inputs and outputs your TV has, it's likely not enough for your entire entertainment system anyway! 5.1 surround sound, a couple of game systems, a laptop/desktop, your BluRay and/or DVD players, etc.. Not many TVs can fit all of that. And I'm sure many techies like me have even more crap they plug into their TVs.
~ The remote. Yeah, it's absolutely SILLY, but the remote's really clunky and ugly. It's also pretty basic as someone else mentioned. It, however, CAN control your Samsung DVD player.

As I play around with my TV more, I'll update this review if I find I have more things to add.
on November 24, 2011
My wife and I bought this set after seeing a special promotion by Samsung. It arrived from Amazon quickly and was easy to set up. The contrast is simply amazing compared to older TVs we have owned. We bought the USB network adapter. The WiFi capabilities add a lot to the practical use for using the online experience if you haves group of people together and want to share the fun. I wasn't aware of what Samsung's "Smart TV" was all about, but it turns out to a be well implemented set of apps to access and use theinternet.

I would recommend this set to anyone who is not wanting 3D as one of the features in their new TV. The lack of 3D is the only reason I gave a "4"rating.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 14, 2012
I was hesitant about buying a "Used-Good" TV from amazon, but for the price of 514$/free shipping how could I lose? The shipping was a week by UPS. I was surprised to see it in the original box. First thing I did was inspect the tv and could not see the "cosmetic imperfections" that where stated on the description. Maybe they use a magnifying lens to see or I'm just not that picky. Even my girlfriend was like "you bought this used? Looks new." Second thing I did was plug it in..BAM.. POWERS ON! I popped in "Planet Earth" on blu-ray and enjoyed full HD 1080p! =0. I could not believe that I got this tv for such a great price! This is a wi-fi only "Smart tv" but my blu-ray player and apple tv are smarter than this TV.. pttth! I already own a 50" sammy plasma (GREAT!) and a 32" LCD (ok). This is my first 'edge-lit LED/LCD' and Im a bit disappointed that the corners are a bit brighter in darkest of scenes (cowboys and aliens, dark knight). My Plasma does not have this issue. Thats why I give the TV 4 stars instead of 5. (I give amazon 5/5) I think its the technology really. Full array/ Local dimming LEDs would not have this issue.

Ok here are a few things I noticed about all three TV technologies (LED, LCD, Plasma). The lighting is only PART of the TV. Some people love Plasmas; others are diehard LED fans. Whatever. If the company is reputable with quality components and video processors, the tv is going to look GREAT no matter what lighting style you choose. LED is expensive, thin and bright but its darks are not the best. Plasma is cheaper with great blacks/natural color but the glass panel is reflective and can break. LCD's are durable and have darker blacks than edge-lit LEDs but not the level of plasma. IF you are going to choose a tv, remember that all three styles can produce a crystal clear picture. What you are paying for is the backlighting technology.

Another thing is 720p vs 1080p;
I have both. I own a newer 50" Samsung 720p plasma ($550) and this 46" 1080p Edge-lit LED/LCD ($514).

-(Blu-rays)
10Ft away = Both have same great picture.
5ft away= 1080p still great picture, 720p begins to look grainy. (1080p looks grainy at 2ft away.)

-(HD CABLE)
10ft away= Both look the same (great)
5ft away= Both begin to look grainy
on December 6, 2011
I am so happy with this TV! The set up was child's play, and I had it up and running in less than 1/2 hour. WOW! The picture is amazing! I am replacing a ten year old Samsung HDTV (one with picture tube, monster weighs about 150 lbs!) I thought it had a great picture! But this new one is light years ahead of it! Yes, it only has two HDMI inputs, but that's perfect for me (cable and blueray)I had to buy a couple of cables, but found them on Amazon dirt cheap as well! Besides it does have a component input that would handle something else.
The first thing I watched was TRON Legacy running through my sound system while playing the BlueRay! Really it looked better and sounded better than in the theatre! It was so crisp and clear, it made me a little dizzy! I simply wasn't used to seeing so much detail. I looked at hundreds(literally, at big box stores and local businesses)of TV's and Samsung came up on top for picture clarity and depth. When I saw the deal Amazon had on this set I jumped at it! No tax, free shipping, and I received it in less than a week! What more could you ask for? I'm a believer!
There are TV's with more bells and whistles, but, for me, this one is perfect!
on December 5, 2011
Excellent picture quality, and VERY thin. Samsung does the thin-LED the best of all manufacturers, I think. Limited connections in the back (going through an AV then to the HDMI is the best option) but much better than many other "black friday" or Holiday special TVs. Wi-fi requires dongle or using a Samsung Wi-Fi DVD player.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is our second Samsung TV that we bought on Amazon! We love buying from Amazon because it is usually lower priced than in Best Buy or anywhere else PLUS free shipping. Doesn't get better than that! Great TV, have had absolutely no problems with Samsung. We have the 55in. 8000 series and the 46in. 6000 series. The picture is fantastic. Very easy to hook up.
on November 29, 2011
I brought the TV two days ago and I found the TV itself isn't bad if you want something basic with good picture quality and a reasonable price. I agree with most of the pros and cons from other reviewers and thus am not going to elaborate here. I just want to add one con that is still bugging me. I am still not able to get the wireless to work. I have two other LED TVs at home and one is a big-sister 55" Samsung and I didn't have any problem connecting them. The network connection menu is more complicated on this unit. I first tried the auto-connect feature but didn't work and I subsequently tried all the other methods in the menu but still none of them worked. Perhaps it is not the problem of the TV itself but the experience has been frustrating.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations