5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV for Holiday's 2012
Published on November 30, 2012 by Mark Douglas

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV on the 3rd Try
I got a good one after three tries.

Published on December 7, 2012 by J. Leavitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV for Holiday's 2012, November 30, 2012
Mark Douglas (LOS ANGELES, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UN46ES6003 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz Slim LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Awesome TV. I purchased it on Black Friday after doing tons of research and there's no better deal. This TV is all about picture quality with none of the other features like 3D and Smart Apps that you don't need. It's really thin, has a small bezel and looks great. I would tune the picture settings after you get it. That makes a surprisingly big difference in getting the picture to look really true to life. I used settings from lcdtvbuyingguide.com and they looked great. Here's how I have mine setup:

Picture Mode: Movie

Film Mode Off
Auto Motion Plus Off
LED Motion Plus Off

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful as advertised, November 26, 2012
In the myriad list of televisions its always confusing as to what to buy as all of them although separated by a number in their models have a wealth of differences aka the 6003 and the ES6000. First there are three main features in the Samsung TV's one can classify a)The SMART (software piece) , b) The 3D piece and the c) Form factor and refresh rate. I know I wanted a TV which was not 3D , not SMART (too many bad reviews about this being unusable) but had the slim form factor (1.2-1.8) and a refresh rate of 120hz or higher. The ES6003 is the one which fits this review. The ES6000 is the "fatter" television with the same features as this one and the ES6100 is the SMART portion added each adds or subtracts 300 bucks from the TV price when compared at the same size. At 999 this was a good choice. Not a lot of adjustment for the picture settings , not too much of a bleed at the edges , lighter than the older TV's I have had and perfect for a normal living room. So far pretty happy with this TV. There is a feature matrix below each of the Samsung TV's on Amazon which is a good reference before one makes up their minds on which TV they want.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great package without the kiddie features., November 27, 2012
I bought the 6003 this past week from Amazon, and this was the only model that fit what I was looking for. My criteria was the following:

1) No SmartTV Features: I already have an Apple TV, which is essentially the equivalent of the Samsung "Smart" features, but more refined, I feel. As such, and in addition to a slew of reviews I've read about the "Smart" technology being slow and antiquated, I felt as though choosing between a television that is cheaper by $100 and the "Smart TV" features, I would take the former. Also, being that an Apple TV is only $99, and is a much better package, this was an easy choice. Navigating through the Samsung menus is like flying a helicopter through a rainforest; they simply cannot beat the Apple software UI.

2) No 3D Capability: Also, I have zero interest in 3D. I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy the features for their kids and all, but I feel as though it's a gimmick; both the 3D features in theaters, as well as the 3D TV's at home, I believe, will both be phased out and known as a "fad." In fact, I actually *prefer* to see a movie in 2D at the theaters, since I think it takes away from the film a bit (the maybe one exception being Martin Scorsese's Hugo).

3) Ultra-Slim and Bezel: One of the most important features I wanted was an extremely thin bezel, and the thinnest TV I could buy. When comparing the thickness of the regular Samsung TV's vs the slim versions, it's a huge difference (3.8" in the thickest part vs 1.8") - the latter being exceptional in the cosmetic department, which, in my opinion, future-proofs the purchase a bit more. On the edge of the televisions, it's seriously about 3/4" thick, which simply looks beautiful. I love the Samsung televisions because of the great picture quality and features, but also because of their thin, light, and simple designs.

4) Technical Specs: I wanted the 1080P resolution, the 120hz refresh rate, and the 46" model.

Negatives: the one negative thing I have to say about this television is that it only has two HDMI ports. That being said, I only use two, since my A/V receiver accepts everything else. If you bump up to the next model with the SmartTV features, you gain one additional HDMI port - not worth the money for another $100.

Conclusion: after doing my research based on the above criteria, Samsung's 6003 model was the *only* one that fit the bill - no SmartTV (don't want to pay for features I'm not going to use), no 3D (waste of money, I believe), the Ultra-Slim form factor, and all of the technical features which make the display so great. At $697, I felt this was a great price - and I really liked saving money by not having the features I deemed obsolete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV when applying some tweaks to picture settings, December 4, 2012
I ordered this 55" TV from Amazon on Black Friday for a great price... Pilot Freight delivered on schedule, and the delivery men were friendly courteous. This is actually the first tv I've purchased sight-unseen; I just couldn't pass up the price. At first, I must admit I was a bit discouraged when I saw minimal "flashlighting" (aka edge bleeding), and quite a bit of clouding as well. I have read numerous times that many edge-lit led tv's have these issues. Also, when viewing the tv with the preset settings, I saw significant motion blur and artifacts (due to "Auto Motion Plus"). These were ALL easily correctable for me. After tweaking my set, I am 100% happy with it. I just wish I took "before and after" pictures to document the success I've had with the following tweaks.

1. Movie mode provides the most tweaking ability. To correct the motion blur and aritfacts, these were the settings I followed via lcdtvbuyingguide.com (as reviewer Mark Douglas has also posted): There is NO motion blur or artifacts on my set after applying these settings.

Picture Mode: Movie
Backlight: 16 (I have mine set to 12)
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45 (I have mine set to 32)
Sharpness: 15
Color: 50 (I have mine set to 60)
Tint: G50/R50

ADVANCE SETTINGS
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: +1 (Mine is set to 0)
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off (I have mine set to dark)
Flesh Tone: 0

Digital Noise Filter Off
Film Mode Off
Auto Motion Plus Off
LED Motion Plus Off

2. To help ease the edge bleeding, I loosened all of the screws along outer edge of the back of the tv, a quarter (1/4) turn for each screw. This reduces the pressure on the leds and eliminated the "flashlighting" on my set immediately.

3. To help the clouding, I took my microfiber cloth and screen cleaner and gently massaged the screen all around - with LIGHT pressure of course. It took no longer than 5 minutes. I now have absolutely NO clouding.

You can research the flashlighting and clouding fixes for yourself. Others have had varying success, but it worked perfectly for my TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice display but some features are sacrificed., November 29, 2012
I received this TV yesterday and am mostly happy with it. The picture quality is equal to models like the ES6100, so for those that don't need or want 3D or the "smart" features it is a great option. For me though, there are two missing HDMI features I thought this TV had when I bought it. It doesn't support HDMI CEC or ARC (audio return channel). CEC allows your devices to control each other over HDMI (e.g. your bluray player can turn on your TV when you insert a disc to play a movie, software like Raspbmc/Xbmc can be controlled via your TV's remote, etc). ARC allows TV's to send audio from the TV back to the device that it is hooked up to (e.g. a Receiver), so you don't have to hook up two cables (i.e. one HDMI cable from receiver to tv for video, then one audio cable from TV back to receiver). These features will not matter for some people, but the lack of these two common features in modern TV's may sway me into returning the TV despite the great picture and great price. These are two features that should not be reserved for the higher end Samsungs. There are much lower priced Vizio TV's with these two features so it is somewhat annoying that Samsung felt the need to remove these features from this particular model.

Pros:
120hz
Slim design
Great picture
No noticeable input lag (for gaming)
Good black levels (but not perfect)
Not having to pay for features like 3D and Smart Apps yet still getting a great screen.

Cons:
Very minor light bleeding on the edge of the display (runs vertically along the entire length of left and right sides). I'm nit picking here.
No HDMI CEC
No HDMI ARC
Some of the connections come straight out the back of the TV (coax, power, etc). At least the HDMI ports come out the side of the TV.
Limited HDMI/Video connections (not a problem for those that own receivers though).

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Pleased, December 1, 2012
I was on the market for a 46" HDTV for a while; we have a small living room and 46" is the perfect size for it. I was mostly looking for 1080p + 120Hz. I also wanted to make sure the manufacturer had a solid reputation for quality. After doing a little research, I also learned that I wanted to make sure the TV looked good from many different viewing angles, and I also wanted to ensure that the built-in TV speakers offered decent sound quality.

This TV showed up on my radar thanks to the Black Friday sale, for $698. I looked it over and confirmed that it had absolutely everything I wanted. Even better, it DIDN'T have all of the extra "junk" that I didn't want. (smart TV, 3D, etc etc) Generally speaking I am a late adopter to new technology, as I prefer to let technology mature a bit before I think about jumping on board. I also like prefer my devices to do one thing and one thing VERY WELL, rather than having something do many many things but none of them particularly well.

This TV showed up at my door very quickly (1 day after Amazon shipped it from PA), and I was thrilled to hook it up and try it out. It turned out to be even better than I had hoped. This TV is pure quality, inside and out.

I also followed the advice of a fellow reviewer here (Mark) and tweaked the settings using the 6100 settings guide as a template, you can see that here:[...]

The factory defaults for this TV aren't too shabby at all. But making some of these adjustments really did improve it. The picture quality is absolutely stunning now.

I also observed (as another reviewer here has mentioned) that some of the screws are indeed rather tight to get threaded in, while trying to secure the stand/base to the TV. I think this is actually by design, these are very tight threads and once seated, it holds strong. I didn't have to go so far as to use a power drill like the other person did, just a little extra elbow grease and those screws will get in there no problem. Don't treat it like a fragile delicate flower; just grit your teeth and put those screws in there. Once done, the stand is very solid and secure.

I love this TV because I feel like Samsung was thinking of people just like me. People who want high quality at a reasonable price, and don't want all of the extra gadgets/bells/whistles, and fluff. This TV does its job very well -- you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV on the 3rd Try, December 7, 2012
J. Leavitt (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I got a good one after three tries.

Like many others, I bought the 46" during Black Friday. And as others have stated, it fills a very nice niche. Not Smart (I have other devices for that), no 3D (no interest whatsoever), with a beautiful display. And as others have stated, one negative I have is that it only has 2 HDMI inputs. I currently have my X-Box, Blu-Ray, and PC all competing for an input. In the future I plan to get a receiver and will hopefully negate that issue.

I bought my first TV from Amazon. I received it promptly, as always, and the box was in good condition. The screen showed significant clouding on a black screen (lighter smudges of white) that was noticeable during movies and especially while viewing black-background presentations on my computer. Dissatisfied, I contacted Amazon and they accepted the return. I did have some difficulty coordinating the UPS pickup. I work 24 and 48-hour shifts, sometimes back to back, so my preference would be to print a label and drop it off at UPS, or at least be able to schedule a specific date or time (I don't like wasting their time if I' m not home). Amazon and UPS were both unable to help in that regard, but I eventually got it picked up when I happened to be home a week after my initial RMA request.

Amazon offered a full refund (instead of replacement), as the TV was now out of stock. I went to my local Sears who was one of the only stores to have the TV in stock at $700. I bought the TV, brought it home, and turned it on. The screen was damaged on the left side with vertical lines. I returned to Sears and exchanged it for another.

This final TV has minor clouding, most of which is negligible after adjusting the picture settings. Overall, despite the inconveniences, I am happy with the TV. The picture is absolutely beautiful. Also, the TV itself is physically attractive. It has all the features that I wanted, and nothing I didn't. HOWEVER, seeing some of the other reviews, and with my own experience, I'd have a very hard time recommending it to a friend. It's a fine TV, but perhaps the QA process at Samsung is a little lacking. Also, it might be worth noting that this TV was just released, and that future models may be of better quality.

I give it three stars for the process. I'd give my final TV 4 stars for being nearly, but not quite, perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, December 15, 2012
JasonT (Connecticut) - See all my reviews
I took a risk an purchased a TV online. In this case it payed off. The TV is awesome. The colors are amazing and it is bright. It has great quality without having that "soap opera" effect. The 3 best points for me are:
1) Slim. The TV is extremely thin. I don't have any space issues but being so thin really adds to the beauty of the TV.
2) Small bezel. One of the things I hate the most about TV/ Monitors/ Tablets/ etc. are the big bezels that surround the screen. This TV has an extremely small bezel. It really makes the TV seem so much bigger.
3)) Sound. I am actually really impressed with the sound. Most TVs like this have horrible sound. This TV has excellent sound that has great range and is loud. It doesn't come close to an actual sound system but for built in speakers it is very impressive.

My only regret is not getting a bigger one. Not that this size is bad. I love it. It's just that you can never have a big enough TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars No frills TV, December 6, 2012
We just got this TV last night. After some tweaking of the settings we have a picture that we are content with. The room that this is in is not an overly bright family room. I took some advice from another web site for the settings. We did not want a SMARTTV, 3D or anything else fancy. This one fits the bill. The price was right! It was delivered to our door and setup by the delivery people. Overall very happy. What can be confusing is it says 120 refresh rate but the box actually said 240. If you do buy this, I think you would be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm love with this TV. so slim. so cold. so bright. so cheap, December 12, 2012
So, I got this TV after black friday, and I must say I LOVE this tv.

after spending days adn days in every single retail store in NYC i finally decided to get this tv. I got the black friday price (680.00 before taxes)

i took me less than a day to understand the TV and after changing (most of) the original settings. LED spends less electricity, therefore less money on your electric bills. I have to say i highly recommend this TV.