5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, Clear and Bright!
The Samsung UN46ES6580 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV has a phenomenal picture.
Published on June 23, 2012 by Ice

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, when it isn't cloudy
** Update: downgraded from 4 stars to 3. The cloudiness is still annoying me; I wish I'd just bought another plasma **

Published on August 6, 2012 by early adopter in ATL

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, Clear and Bright!, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN46ES6580 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black) (Electronics)
The picture is bright, clear and sharp. I love this picture! You might find yourself looking at the picture and seeing details in TV programs and DVD's that you have never seen before. The scrolling banners on news programs for instance come in clear and crisp. I have not noticed any motion blurring at all.
I use OTA(Over the Air) to receive TV signals. This utilizes just a plain old TV antenna. HD signals are fantastic. SD signals are just OK. The tuner in the TV worked great at picking up stations from my state and my neighboring state. I get lots of stations easily. Plain to upgrade to Comcast TV next week, so I will see what the picture looks like then.

I find the controls and menu system to be relatively intuitive. Easy to navigate and you find what you are looking for easily. The remote could be better, but it is not too bad. It would have been nice to have a remote with a small keyboard
and mouse pad. Its entirely usable, but not the best for surfing the internet and inputting text for search engines or apps like YouTube, Netflix, and others.
There is a better solution. Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400 with Built-In Multi-Touch Touchpad (920-003070) Comes with a USB connector that plugs into back of TV. Great for surfing internet and general navigation through TV menu controls.
To set up keyboard, go to MENU, then SYSTEM, over to DEVICE MANAGER, then to KEYBOARD SETTINGS. That's it...It might recognize keyboard automatically after you plug in USB receiver, and you might not have to do those steps however.
The TV does come with 4 active 3D glasses. Have not used 3D yet.
Also, comes with Skype camera. Have not used this either yet.

I find that the video setting of Dynamic is best for me. Also, my wife and I like the sound setting on Movie. There are plenty of settings to adjust picture and sound.

Internet works fast and apps seem pretty nice. You can have TV PIP(picture in Picture) when surfing the internet. Nice!

Overall, so far, I have not had any problems. If you register your TV on Samsung site, you will get an extra 3 months on your warranty.

After thought. I spent over 2 years casually researching TV's. This one has everything that I wanted and hoped for. Went to Sam's Club before buying this one and brought home a 50" LG Plasma for half the price of the Samsung. Of course it was not a Smart TV though. It had 3 bright defective pixels. The LG went right back to Sam's Club the same day. The display model at Sam's had 2 defective pixels. This is just plain inexcusable.
That is when I decided to "bite the bullet" and ordered the more expensive Samsung. I do not regret my decision.

Also, when I ordered from Amazon, the price was $100 more than what it is now. As the TV was being shipped, Amazon promptly refunded the difference. Good going Amazon.
However, I was not happy with the way Amazon shipped the TV. It was by regular UPS delivery. The box had one visible break in it. I expected and wrongly assumed, better packaging. The shipping box was the original box the TV comes in. Should have been doubled boxed with better padding.

Other than that, I would recommend this TV if it is within your budget. It really is fantastic...if it lasts.

Robert

Update: Skype camera works well on initial testing. Video and sound quality is good. Skype app has option to automatically login when TV starts, but it seems like it only automatically logins when you actually enter Smart Hub, and not when TV actually starts. Possible Skype app problem. Also, had one occasion when after using some app, that the TV only displayed a pinkish
hue. Reset TV by unplugging, and then plugging back in. Have not had any other problems since. Also, there is a firmware update for TV on Samsung website.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, when it isn't cloudy, August 6, 2012

This TV has a fantastic picture, until you get to a dark scene. There are visible "clouds" at the edge of my screen when watching letterboxed movies, and when viewing menus on gaming consoles. It almost looks like you're at a drive-in movie with someone shining their headlights on the screen. It's not terrible, but it's enough to be annoying. I should have done more research before buying this TV. Some forum discussions indicate that the 6580 has microdimming, but it doesn't. You'll need to step up to the UN46ES7100 for this.

Pros
+ WiFi works well for streaming HD (1080p60)
+ Samsung store has all the apps I need (Hulu, Vudu, Pandora, Netflix)
+ Screen is nice and bright, great for daytime viewing
+ Movie and Standard modes have good defaults (Standard needed some tweaking)
+ HDMI CEC works great - I can control my Sony BluRay player with it!
+ 2D-3D conversion works well, and the remote has a dedicated button for this
+ Glasses are comfortable; 3D looks much better than at the theater.
+ Uses less energy than a 60-watt bulb
+ SD looks "good enough" (but HD looks superb)

Cons
- LED light leakage is visible in dark scenes, and in letterboxed movies. Great uniformity otherwise.
- IR remote backlight is much too dim, and requires pressing the button twice to turn on (why??)
- Frame interpolation is enabled by default, and is difficult to find in the menu to turn off. Classic movies looked like soap operas until I figured out how to disable this.
- Natural Mode is not natural, and Dynamic mode is unusable for me.
- Adjusting Picture settings takes several remote clicks; IR remote should have a dedicated button for this
- 1 hot pixel in my sample; not visible from my viewing position

5.0 out of 5 stars Best TV Ever, June 26, 2012
My wife and I bought this Samsung TV to replace an older one in our home. We have a 44" Samsung in our 5th wheel camper and really enjoyed the picture clarity, so that's what influenced our decision on this Samsung. From the moment I turned it on, I could not believe the picture. This TV has it all. Plus the 3D is fa-nominal. If you order from Amazon, they ship it free, no sales tax and the shipping company un-crates it and sets it up for you at no charge. Of course I gave the guys a $20. as a tip though. All in all, so far we're very pleased with our decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, July 16, 2012
PA Tech Review (South Central Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
My family and I researched LED HDTVs for nearly a year. Samsung clearly was the best of the best when it came to color brilliance and features.

My son and I setup the HDTV in just over an hour. It was very straight forward and easy for two people. Attaching the included stand would have been a challenge for only 1 person.

Our previous Samsung had multiple component inputs so we needed to run to the store for HDMI cables for the Comcast DVR and DVD player.

Unlike previous Samsung models, this model comes with Wi-Fi enabled (without having to purchase an extra attachment). The Wi-Fi signal was strong so there was little delay in accessing websites. If you plan to do a lot of Internet surfing, consider purchasing the Samsung wireless mouse and keyboard.

The Samsung apps are okay - perhaps we are slightly spoiled after using iPad and Android apps for so long. The Skype app works well with the included Samsung webcam with built-in microphone.

Overall I would strongly recommend this HDTV for anyone. The 55" works well in a 20' x 40' living room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mid-range LED 3D HDTV, September 10, 2012
This is a review of a used version of this model that I paid $627.00 for last week on amazon warehouse deals. I took a risk and purchased this 'used' instead of new to save over $500.00. What a deal, TV arrived in almost new condition, no damage or issues at all, just repackaged.

The TV came with 4 pairs of 3D Glasses, web camera, and all other accessores. Everything was in just about new condition, never opened. I noticed some minor back light clouding on the TV, but I was able to remove it with calibration in the settings. Once i adjusted the settings, the TV shows inky blacks, no clouding and very white whites and brilliant color on the screen. It did take a while to calibrate the settings, but very much worth the trouble. 3D looked very good on this TV, and getting the 4 pairs of new 3D Glasses for free was just an added benefit.

Once calibrated this TV's black levels are almost darker and inky as my previous Panasonic GT30 Plasma, I sent that back to amazon due to image retention issues and heat issues, the screen heat almost heated my whole condo when turned on. The LED has no heat from the screen, and uses 3/4 less power.

Pros:
- Outstanding Picture quality (after calibration and settings adjustments)
- Great inky blacks and clear whites (after calibration and settings adjustments)- I have owned 2 previous LED TV's and returned both of them due to led lighting and clouding issues, this TV allows for that to be calibrated out, and shows significant improvements with inky blacks and whitest whites once you calibrate it.
- Paid $627.00, saved $500.00 by buying a used warehouse deals model
- 4 pairs of new 3D Glasses included, and web camera included
- thin, light and uses very little power (no heat from the screen like my previous panasonic plasma)
- Great design and sturdy stand

Cons:
- Requires significant calibration and settings adjustment to get the picture quality desired and remove back light clouding effects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon does it again!, July 12, 2012
Bob (Lake Wales, FL, US) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of homework before making my final choice. I received the TV the day as I was told it would come. The TV is better than I expected - I could not find anyone with a better price than Amazon. The picture is - well as the saying goes "Picture perfect!" The 3D - is 3 D-elicious. I congratulate Samsung for the simplicity of the TV's operations. I must say here is I do have a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player with a Sony surround sound receiver - Once I connected the units via HDMI cables - I was ready to use my system the TV/Blu-ray and receiver Sync themselves - NICE! So I highly recommend the UN40ES6580 - and of course Amazon - it's having a best friend in the business - thank you again - Bob

UPDATE 12/08/2012 - Having this product for a couple of months I now love it more. The more I play with more of the features the more fun it is and I love the simplicity of the operation. I can only comment on my purchase and again as I said after a few months it's still A+ - Bob

UPDATE 12/05/2013 - Happier today than the day I received my TV. Simple to use and of course I'm an Amazon Prime member which adds to my enjoyment. Watching 3-D movies is still a kick.
GREAT PROCUCT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase so far, July 14, 2012
I love this TV so far. The factory picture out of the box is not great. You will have to adjust. After adjustments, this TV is absolutely FANTASTIC! Happy I received 4 pair of 3D glasses with the TV. For the price and all the features on the TV - great purchase for a mid 3D LED tv. I have played a couple of games on the TV and performance was great. The TV found my wireless network and connected right away. Bummer that Amazon prime is not part of the Samsung Apps, but I have it on my PS3 and Roku so no biggie. The TV is worth the price I paid. Amazon - shipping was quick and delivered within the timeframe promised. I love your service!

5.0 out of 5 stars *****Best 3d 40" LED TV Period*****, December 20, 2012
This is a rating for the Samsung UN40ES6580 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black)

PROS:
Easy to set up
Excellent responsive controls
Crystal clear smooth images
Samsung provided remote automatically recognized and controls my Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
3D is astoundingly good, suspends your disbelief!
Comes with 4 comfortable 3d glasses.
Comes with Skype camera.
Slim bezel gives you the most screen for the space used
Sound quality is very good
Solid build quality, yet very light.

CONS:
Only 3 HDMI (1080P) inputs
(I didn't take off any points for this since I'm using this TV with my cable box, Roku, and Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player which is all I really need. I would have preferred 4 HDMI inputs. However, there's 1 component device input, but component inputs will only display a resolution up to 1080i (not 1080P). Most cable boxes will only display up to 1080i anyway, so you could use the component cable for your cable box and reserve the 3rd hdmi input for a 1080P device.

Conclusion:
This HDTV is truly amazing and I'm rating the Samsung UN40ES6580 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV 5 out of 5 Stars. Highly recommended

2.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading product info, crashes more than it browses, January 29, 2013
As for using it as a browser in the "Smart TV" mode, if all you're looking to do is surf and read articles w/o trying to view video it MIGHT work. The buffer on the browser does not even support youtube. Samsung tech support will initially blame your internet provider. I finally ran a computer side by side with the TV to confirm this was not the case. You can only view video within the browser for a very limited time before crashing because the buffer speed is too low. Samsung will advise that you can only view video within the apps supplied, not through the browser. Now this will lead you into a whole new area of frustration. That being that the Samsung keyboard you might have purchased, probably after having purchased a different wireless keyboard to find it had limited functionality with your smart tv (BTW Samsung keyboard only works with 6500 models and above buyer beware) does not have full functionality within some of the apps. To which Samsung replied it was not their tv's fault, but the fault of the app providers. "Some of the apps on our tv's are not overlayed as Samsung apps and therefor may not have full functionality". "They will not allow our keyboard to work within their apps". Funny, I checked the box, and the user manual, it makes no mention of these issues. This leaves you to work with your tv remote and a pop up keyboard that you must highlight each individual letter with by scrolling and selecting one at a time. Very timely I assure you. But let's assume that you've the patience for that. You will then only be allowed a select number of items to view. Some options, when selected, will say this video not available. Others may stall and wait to buffer and play only seconds at a time freezing in between each.

As for the picture, it is not the easiest thing to dial in. You better be pretty savvy to get it where you need it. There will be a lot of adjustments ahead. There are a lot of people who have posted their idea for perfect settings for this tv, right down to adjusting the "Judder effect"? It is a bit crisper than my older plasma, but not as bright.

Overall, be sure of what you're purchasing this tv for. If it's just to watch tv, you'd probably save more and get just as good a picture without opting for "smart tv". If it's because you want smart tv, beware. Unfortunately you don't know what it won't do until you try to use it. Now that I know it's limitations it may go back. Especially if another manufacturer can step up where Samsung has been found wanting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, July 22, 2012
Pros : Apps, All Share and browser.
Cons: Some times I face problem in youtube pairing with my mobile (IOS) devices. I receive the screen not available error. The second issue is also with youtube video playing. Though I have high speed internet at my home, many times the youtube video player fails. It happens on the youtube app and also when accessing via youtube mobile site using the browser.
I have also checked the daily motion, but I didn't have any problems in buffering. Also the youtube TV app is not supporting the QWERTY keyboard via remote app.
Overall I like the TV but we expect a quick fix from samsung for the above issue to make our experience best.

Samsung UN46ES6580 46-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black)
$1,629.99 $1,399.00