5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable picture! Does require some tweaking.
I have to admit that I've been completely blown away by how fast flat screen technology has evolved in the last few years.

Just 5 years ago, the smallest bezel TV I could find was a 52" Mitsubishi LCD; and, now I was able to purchase this 55" Samsung LED that looks small when hanging in the same cabinet - even with the 3" larger screen!

When I first...
Published 9 months ago by D. Matheny

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so happy now
Ordered and received via Amazon the 55 inch version. One nice feature with Amazon is that I could schedule the day I wanted the TV delivered since it was being sent to a second home in Florida and I did not want it delivered before I got there.

Set up was easy, 3D worked fine without having to make any changes - it just takes the TV a few seconds to sync up...
Published 10 months ago by R. Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable picture! Does require some tweaking., July 24, 2013

When I first set this TV up, I was initially impressed with the bright colors; but, there were 3 obvious problems:

- There was an almost unnoticeable 'glitch' that would occur fairly frequently. I tried to tell myself I was just being picky; but, it happened often enough to be irritating.

- The picture was absolutely crystal clear (like looking out a window) - but the colors made everything look like a soap opera. (At least, that's what I thought of.)

- The picture looked great when the room was bright; but, it got a hazy/grey look when the room was dark.

I started playing with the settings and lucked into a fix for the glitch pretty quickly. There's a setting called 'Auto Motion Plus' under 'Picture Options'. I played around with it for a bit and realized the glitch completely disappeared when this is set to 'Off'.

The problem with the 'soap opera' look was resolved by messing with the color settings; and, the most important change ended up being to reduce the brightness & LED backlight settings.

The haziness took a few days - and I almost reached a point where I was going to return the TV. Fortunately, that was also resolved by turning off the 'Eco Sensor'. The reason it took longer to find is because it isn't located under picture settings - instead, it's hidden in the 'System/Eco Solution' menu...

Anyway, I have to say that I'm 100% satisfied now - and absolutely blown away by the amazing picture quality! I was tempted to reduce this to a 4 star review because I think the settings I mentioned should probably be defaults for most people; but, I'm sure Samsung has their own reasons.

Overall, I would highly recommend this TV if you're looking for a great LED TV!

[*** UPDATE 8/10/2013 ***]

I've continued messing with the settings on this TV and have found that the Eco-Sensor actually can be a nice feature. Instead of turning it off, I started using the 'Minimum Brightness' sub-setting that forces the TV to stay above a specific brightness level.

When the room was at it's darkest level (which is how it normally is when watching movies), I set the minimum brightness level on the Eco-Sensor so it looks good. The great thing about that is the picture is now bright enough during the day and doesn't get the 'hazy' look at night.

Anyway, I figured I would throw that one additional tip in here from my experimentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three TVs enter. One TV leaves., May 26, 2013
Chris G (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
(Note: to skip my long-winded story and read only about the FH6030, go to "TV #3" below)

***Background: I had a 42" Panasonic PX600u plasma for seven years and loved it. But the set started to lose its luster, and I was tired of lowering the blinds during the day to watch TV. Most plasmas sold seven years ago did not have the best anti-glare coatings. So, I decided to go with an LED, knowing I would have to make some sacrifices in picture quality, but would in turn gain a set that was much brighter and performed significantly better in daylight.

***The Goal: 50-55" with a great picture for around $1000. I didn't care about 3D or Smart features. I have an AppleTV and PlayStation that handle the Smart features. Unless your TV will be mounted somewhere that can't accommodate any additional devices, there's no need to ever use a TV's built in Netflix, Hulu, etc. They are horrible at it compared to AppleTV, Roku, Xbox/PS3, etc.

I did not want to have to go through three TVs to get one I liked. But if I was spending $1000 for something I would hope to have for ten years, I was going to be picky.

***TV #1: What sucks about buying a TV is that you can't judge the picture in stores because the settings are all jacked up and you're viewing under florescent lighting. Your best bet is to do a ton of research online. But what I discovered is that many TV manufacturers have different panel makers for the same model, and those panels can perform very differently. CNET may rave about one model, and you can get the same model with a different panel and have poor result. With that said, I found a great deal for a 50" 2012 Samsung ES6500. Reviews online were mixed, ranging from stellar (Consumer Reports) to just OK (PC Mag). Given Amazon's fantastic return policy, I ordered it. The picture wasn't bad. However, the details in dark scenes were horrible. In addition, this TV just wasn't that bright -- the main reason I switched from plasma to LED. The TV also exhibited some pretty bad "clouding" and "flashlighting" (terms I learned on AVS Forum when I found a thread full of people who hate this TV). Apparently, this is common for many edge-lit LEDs, but this model is much worse than most. I gave it about a week and returned the set.

***TV #2: Even though it had no reviews, everyone loves Sony. I took a risk on a 50" 2013 Sony R550a. The problems I had with this Sony made me miss the previous Samsung:

- It was even dimmer than the Samsung (and I had the Eco settings off)

- No matter what I did, I couldn't get the picture to "pop" and give me any sort of wow factor

- Not as important, but the Sony was pretty ugly in person and the chrome stand and bottom bezel created annoying reflections

- It did not handle fast motion in a hockey game well

- It's a semi-matte screen, but still not very good in a bright room

- And most of all, when the camera panned during hockey, soccer or golf, it had this annoying cloudy effect. After doing some research, I found out this is called a dirty scree effect (DSE).

I gave the Sony more than a week, but just couldn't get past the picture issues so I returned it. Also, I don't know if this means anything, but apparently the new Sony models are made with LG Panels.

***TV #3: I read great early reviews on Samsung's 2013 TVs, so I took another risk and ordered the 55" FH6030. I've had it now for five days and LOVE it. Here is how it compares to the previous two TVs:

- Very mild dirty screen effect. I have to look for it to see it. With the Sony R550a, I could not escape it. I don't recall if the ES6500 had DSE as I didn't even know what it was then, and it didn't stand out like the Sony

- Much more uniform and has less flash-lighting and clouding compared to the ES6500. It's also better than the R550a in this department, but the Sony wasn't that bad to begin with. It's important to note that the FH6030 is direct-lit unlike the previous two TVs that were edge-lit. This makes the cabinet slightly thicker, but typically allows for a more uniform picture.

- Much better shadow detail and performance in dark scenes than the ES6500, but not quite as good as the Sony R550a

- Much brighter than both the ES6500 and R550a

- Handles glare much better than the R550a and slightly better than the ES6500

- The picture "pops" far more than the R550a

- Off-angle viewing is not the greatest and worse than both the R550a and ES6500

- No issues in handling fast motion. It's better than the R550a and pretty much the same as the ES6500

I'm giving it five stars because I'm factoring price in. But if I'm rating the TV without factoring in cost, then the poor off-angle viewing and less than impressive detail in very dark scenes would make me drop it to four.

Still, I'm happy enough with this TV to write my first Amazon review. After being very frustrated from having to return two prior TVs, I feel somewhat victorious for finally landing a set I love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D TV, May 24, 2013
Just picked this up a few days ago. Since this is a new 2013 model, there is conflicting information on websites as to whether this tv supports 3D or not. It does. Visit Samsung's website for full details. This FH6030 is pretty much the same as last years EH6030, but does not have the 3D glasses included and is at a lower retail price.
Wanted a 3D TV but had no use for Smart features (streaming Netflix, Amazon, etc) as my TV is hooked up to my HTPC. This is one of the very few TV's with 3D and no Smart features. And it's priced accordingly. Easy to set up and fairly light if you are doing a wall mounting. Picture is good as expected with any Samsung product and has multiple setup options. Connects to the internet but the connection is used only for software updates. Like so many others, I really don't care for the Auto Motion or LED Motion Plus features that smooth the picture. Others call this the "Soap Opera" effect, but what it really does, to my eyes, is reduce sharpness and blur out/soften/dim the picture. I just turn them off.
No 3D glasses are included, but they are less than 20 dollars a pair. The correct glasses to get are the Samsung SSG-5100GB 3D Active Glasses. Pair them with the set (they are bluetooth) and you're good to go. The 2D to 3D conversion is surprisingly good. The 3D is outstanding.
If you want a nice 55 inch TV with 3D and don't need to stream from the TV, this is the one to get.

4.0 out of 5 stars Factory settings look terrible. Looks good after custom adjustment., July 28, 2013
M. J. Bernadett (Nevada City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
We use this TV for 3 different content sources:
1. SD A/V from a Comcast cable box.
2. HD QAM-in-the-clear for local channels. Update 9/20/13 NOT CURRENTLY RECEIVING THESE!
3. PS3 via HDMI for games, Netflix, DVD and Blu Ray

I was really worried when we first fired this set up. The SD A/V looked terrible, and the HD local channels didn't look a whole lot better. People's faces were washed out, flat and blurry.

I discovered I need to TURN OFF DYNAMIC CONTRAST, and crank the contrast DOWN. In general, turn OFF all the settings that pretend to be smart in how they trade off one thing for another. Things with 'Filtering', 'Auto', or 'Reduction' in the name are all enabled from the factory, but you probably don't need all of them, or you may be able to adjust most of them to a lower level.

With Dynamic Contrast off, an adjustment procedure that worked well for us:
1. Do this in the evening or in a dimly lit room.
2. Set backlight to a mid to low value like 9.
3. Set contrast to 50.
4. Set sharpness to a low value like 40.
5. Adjust brightness so that absolute black in the picture is really black, with no hint of gray. You may need to switch channels to find a movie with dark scenes, or put up a news channel that has black in the crawl, like Bloomberg. You can switch the picture size to bring up black bars to compare with. Set it just to the point where the hint of gray is gone.
6. Now adjust the backlight to get the picture brightness right for your lighting conditions. From here on, leave 'brightness' alone, and use backlight to adjust for different room lighting.

I believe 50 is 'unity' for contrast, i.e. a transfer function slope of 1. Adjust according to your tastes, but be aware that 100 is the extreme high setting, not 'normal' or unity. Don't expect 'sharpness' to do much, unless you're watching 20th century soap operas or an old episode of 'fawlty towers'. Also, the MPEG filtering looks better on 'low' for us.

For the A/V input, you may find that 'game mode' gives you a better picture, simply because it bypasses some of the 'smart' processing that doesn't work so well for SD (480i). Game mode is selected elsewhere in the menus, under System Settings.

Fortunately there is a separate memory store of all these settings for each input.

My recommendation is to go through all the inputs you'll be using, start with all the extra features turned off, then add in just enough of the feature that's most important to you and go from there.

Most people don't like the 'Soap Opera Effect' that Auto Motion Plus gives you on fictional content like movies and dramas. Since it removes the 'judder' and 'motion blur' that you ordinarily get with 24fps material, it tends to make the content look less like a movie and more like a soap opera shot at 29.97fps (59.94i). In HD it actually makes things look more real, so it makes a movie look like a bunch of people walking around a movie set. It takes away quite a bit of the drama or fiction 'feel' of the 24fps we're used to, and reveals details that the director didn't necessarily intend.

No problems with 3D from the PS3. Clear, accurate and lifelike. Two thumbs up on that.

Bought mine on sale at Best Buy for the same price I see here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value on a top-tier brand TV., December 1, 2013
At the $700 sale price tag, it was probably the best value for a 3D LCD TV at the time, with a fantastic picture sitting at front center although lackluster off-viewing angles.

The 3D is very good. Many people bash 3D and call it a gimmick--which it often is--but done right it really adds to the experience.

There are no Smart features on this TV, and it is not wifi-capable. HOWEVER, you CAN connect it via ethernet to update it if one ever becomes available (I doubt it--this seems more like a yearly value model) and--this surprised me--you CAN stream content over your network, and it apparently even can see my plex server without any special configuration (!). And as another reviewer helpfully pointed out, it does play MKVs.

NOTE, if you are using this to connect to a PC, I could not force a 120hz input. It is no replacement for a 120hz monitor as most TVs, like this one, cannot accept a 120hz signal. It is also VERY important that you tell the TV that this is a PC by pressing SOURCE on the remote, selecting the input, then pressings TOOLS and naming it as "PC." This does more than just name your input--it is actually a specific PC mode that disables all the unnecessary crap and displays a proper image to the PC. You will also need to change your picture size by pressing "P. Size" on your remote and selecting "screen fit." Your image will likely appear either too large for the screen or not take up the entire TV screen, in which case you actually have to go to your video card's settings and changing the overscan/underscan until it is just right.

It should also be mentioned that the input delay is a bit noticeable even after game mode and PC mode are selected, when compared to monitors. This should have the greatest effect on online twitch-shooter games. It will likely not be a factor in most games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the lack of ports stop you, November 28, 2013
Great picture. No complains after a few months of use. Can play .mkv files from the USB port. This TV is only cheap because of the lack of HDMI (2) and USB (1) ports. Otherwise you are getting a solid Samsung product with a great picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung UN55FH6030, October 15, 2013
I'll keep this one short and sweet. This is an excellent TV. I've had it just a few months, but its clarity has already impressed me. I have it wall mounted which was pretty easy. Follow other reviewers on settings and you'll have a great looking TV. I use it as a monitor for my home theater/ gaming machine, as well as for my 360, Roku, and Blu-Ray. All of it looks beautiful.

I did get the extended warranty plan just for piece of mind, knowing a few people who have had to use them. So far I've found one stuck pixel, but it doesn't bother me. I only notice it while internet browsing, and I understand that it is something that happens with most panels and a 100% stuck pixel free panel is rare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Picture, Full Sound., November 16, 2013
Beautiful picture even while hooked up to my computer and watching Netflix. The sound is amazing for the fact that it's from the Television speakers, easily fills the room and is very full. Perfect size for average or small living room and bedrooms. If you don't care about the smart TV aspect of the 40 inch Samsung, it's worth saving the the money and buying this one.Highly recommend this for someone who is searching for the best 39-42 in LED HDTV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV!!, May 29, 2013
Paul Juliano (Waltham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
If you've got a receiver, this is the TV for you. It doesn't have a lot of HDMI inputs (Who cares? you've got a receiver for that!), the speakers suck (So don't all TV speakers!), there are no smart apps (My PS3's got plenty...)

It DOES have an amazing picture and a great price. You can't beat this screen at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 3D for the price, no frills. All the Smart TV stuff that other TVs have not needed., November 29, 2013
Just got the TV delivered this morning!

For comparison purposes...I already have a 58" Panasonic Plasma V10 (few years old for $2500) which is a very highly rated TV. Purchased a 60" Samsung UN60F6300 Smart TV (4 months ago ($1100) for the office. The Panasonic has excellent picture quality. The Samsung has good picture quality, the Smart TV features I don't even use. Wifi and LAN connection on it don't work well. Didn't want to return the TV due to the network issue, it was HARD to hang it high up on the wall.

The UN55FH6030 has better picture quality than BOTH of the other TVs and for only $699. Played a BluRay and the picture quality looks real.

I tried the 3D with the 5100 Active glasses. The main object looks 1080P, but the background is blurry and the lighting is bright in some areas. Since we watch mostly 2D, I'm happy with the picture quality. UPDATE: I fixed the background issue. In 3D menu, some movies or games need to be L->R, while others R->L picture.

Another reviewer mentioned the stand. The TV does wobble even with the stand installed, maybe because it is held in by 8 small screws. That's the only negative about this TV, if it had a stronger stand would be nice. If you're wall mounting, not an issue.

ARRAY(0xa58b32b8)