4.0 out of 5 stars Great LED TV with One Problem...
Published on November 25, 2012 by Denis A.

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated
Published 19 months ago by Freddy6282

4.0 out of 5 stars Great LED TV with One Problem..., November 25, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN50ES6100 50-Inch 120Hz Slim LED HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
First off, this is in my opinion the best TV you can buy for the money right now if you want to access Netflix and other streaming services while enjoying superb picture quality. Unlike other people that have stated that SmartTV needs a LOT of improvement, I was quite impressed with the ease of use as well as functionality of this feature. If you have a slow wireless network, do not blame the TV for not being able to deliever. I have a Lynkisys N router and Comcast as my internet service provider. There are 3 computers using this router (1 hard-wired), Xbox360 (hard-wired), printer, Vonage telephone, Blu-Ray player, Kindle Fire HD, iPod, and and iPhone and now this TV. I have yet to encounter any buffering or low resolution issues using Netflix through SmartTV app. All of the shows load up promptly and the app is yet to crash.

SmartTV feature therefore gets a 10/10 in my book. Granted, entering info to search for something is somewhat annoying, but the shows you watch show up on the front page, so you do not have to look for them each time you log in. Same goes for the login info, once it is entered, it is there for good (until you reset the TV). Amazon Instant Video worked well, but I did have it hang up twice; however, I had Instant Video hang up on my laptop numerous times during the playback, so it is not the TV's fault.

Picture quality is a 10/10. You can tweak all sorts of settings to get the picture the way you like it. For me, only minor adjustments had to be made, one of them being turning off the MotionPlus feature. Setting it to "Clear" seemed to do the same as turning it off. The contrast ratio on this TV is outstanding - black colors are black and white colors are vivid and bright.

So, you might ask why I gave this TV only 4 stars. Well, after about 2 days of use, the TV developed "clouds" or other known as backlight bleeding. I can see about 7 of these clouds whenever a dark scene is unfolding or whenever there is a pause in a TV show where there was supposed to be a commercial break. The weird thing about these "clouds" is that they are not present when TV is just powered on. It takes about 15-20 minuters for these "clouds" to develop. They also go away once the TV is turned off for about 20 minutes and turned back on, but they do come back again. My guess is that this issue somehow relates to temperature of the TV or the screen. This is not a minor backlight bleeding you might experience with non-plasma TVs and is easily visible with even well lit room. (See product pictures)

I have contacted Samsung and they will be sending a tech to my home to look into this issue. If all fails, I am still in the return window with Amazon. So the review score will go up or down depending on whether or not this issue will get fixed.

Other than that, a capable SmartTV with outstanding picture quality under $1,000 is a no brainer - buy it, you will love it. Just be aware of the issues that may come up. So far, Samsung has been easy to deal with. Will update as this progresses.

UPDATE: Samsung had a tech call me to get a better idea of the defect. After talking to him and the tech trying really hard to pitch me the idea that the defect is nothing but a software glitch, I knew where this was going. He talked to Samsung "engineering" team and after looking at the pictures I've provided them said that the TV is within specs and that the pictures are subpar at best. They also advised me to take more pictures of live scenes with the room lit up. Now, why would they want me to do that? Simple, my camera would not be able to catch the backlight bleed and thus confirming again that the TV is running "within the specs". Amazon is great on the other hand, processed my request for the exchange promptly and the new TV should be arriving by the end of the week. Always be prepared to deal with issues like this. I would suggest registering on video or TV forums and asking around. I was disappointed with Samsung with the way they deal with these issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful set, September 28, 2012
Robert Devaney (Ellenville, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Admittedly, I've only owned this set for a couple of weeks, but to this point, it's been a great experience. Set up was easy, and although I didn't need them, it was nice to see they had QR code for your smart phone to read which opened videos available on line to aid in setup and operation. I had an ethernet cable connection to a router, so an internet connection was established in seconds. Updates took a few minutes, and then it was simply a matter of re-establishing Netflix, and of course, fiddling with color and sound settings to preferences. To that end, here are a settings that I have found very good on this set:

- Picture mode - standard
- Film mode - auto 2
- Auto motion plus - smooth
- LED motion plus - off
- 10pt white balance - on

Did not change other specs. Set is hooked up to Time Warner Cable. Remember to set color specs for each function (Streaming movies, Blu-ray, etc.), as the default settings remain until changed in each. Very nice app suite, beautiful picture, no complaints. Just hoping it will outlast my last two HDTVs, which lasted exactly three years each.(Yes, I finally caved and bought the insurance!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon rocks!!!, July 3, 2012
I was concerned about buying a big tv online even though I love amazon. Two very polite young men delivered the tv, set it up, connected it to cable and took the trash away. Totally painless. Tv is great, fine picture, intuitive remote I could not be more pleased and I did it all on computer, now that is cool! Thanks Amazon, so much for your products and service. One very happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it but not exactly this one., June 19, 2013
I bought this SmartTV from Bestbuy and got the 40" version and I absolutely love it. So i came to Amazon to get one for my living room, and of course their were larger versions for less. I got the 50" in "good condition". It came with about a 1.5" diameter crack at the top center. And little phantom cracks were starting to spread from that. So i called and Amazon set up for a return promptly and I had my money back in my account in about 10-11 days total. Aside from all that the tv itself is top notch. I believe Samsung has released newer models of their SmartTv. This is definitely a great TV. I can never buy a regular tv again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This tv is great, April 1, 2013
TV is great. The lighting and speed on this tv are as good as advertised. I like the app store but honestly the novelty wore off quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Updated, April 16, 2013
UPDATED!!!!!!! These TV's are GARBAGE! If you read my initial review i wrote it after i got one defective TV and figured a lemon is always possible, but the replacement was also defective...this time instead of the picture sometimes not coming on, the picture came on but when it first started up there were green lines all over the screen like on an old green screen apple computer when a game wouldn't load right. Stay away from this TV...Amazon still took care of my needs as a customer but the particular model of TV seems to have serious flaws.

I got my TV very quickly and was excited to set it up and see how it worked. The very first time i tried to turn the tv on I got a black screen with a glow like the tv was on but no picture was showing up. I turned the TV off and turned it back on and the samsung emblem popped up and then the picture came on. I didn't think to much of it until it happened the next time i tried to turn the TV on. I then knew there was something wrong with the tv. I called samsung on the help line, and they told me to update my firm ware for the tv, to which i told them that this wasn't a firm ware issue it clearly was something with the hardware. I contacted amazon and told them the problem, and that when the tv worked the picture was fantastic and it worked well, again, when the picture came on. I was on the phone with amazon about 3-5 minutes and they shipped out a new replacement tv for me without any hassle. This is why i gave the product a 4 star rating, because the first one I got wasn't working correctly but the customer service from amazon is why i would recommend buying this TV, as it does have a great picture and is a good price, and if you DO have problems as can happen with any electronic device, amazon will take care of the customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite TV EVER!, March 26, 2014
This TV is super awesome! I game like a bad mother with this screen. The image and resolution is incomparable especially for gaming.

It's not just cool for new games oh no! I play my old school SNES on this screen and let me tell you when you step on a pizza in the game "Turtles in Time" you can almost taste the pizza!

Well in all seriousness this TV is the best TV I have ever owned. Samsung makes great quality products and this one is no different.

I love the sleek design and easy ability to wall mount or use the stand.

The smart technology is also a huge plus. You can hook this up to the internet and browse through your tv directly or stream anything from the internet directly through your TV. The multiple HDMI and USB imports are also very convenient. We have a game system an external HD and two USB sticks plugged directly into the TV at all times.

Great TV worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars can't ask for more......, July 25, 2013
as amazing as it can be. it arrived fast in perfect condition. As for the product, I am a samsung tv loyal customer since lcd. maybe sony or lg are as good, but for the quality×size×features×price I think samsung will win them all....

5.0 out of 5 stars Best electronics purchase I've ever made, June 4, 2013
I suffered a few years with a small TV because I wanted the prices of the big flat screens to come down. They finally came down enough for me to take the plunge.......I love it!!!

This Samsung is absolutely awesome - wish the internet connection was a bit faster, but overall I won't complain about that. I am convinced Samsung is the winner in regard to best TV manufacturer right now. Everyone else is second place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it, May 24, 2013
Good value, amazing picture. There are a lot features like the Samsung hub which has a lot of content to use. The tv is also good for watching blu Ray movies because of the definition.