5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Good, but the 8000 will be the Kuro replacement
I was a committed DLP fan before undergoing a conversion experience on Friday April 17th. I had planned to replace my Samsung DLP with a Mitbushi DLP or LaserVue. In the final hours, I just couldn't go through with it.

Published on April 22, 2009 by David A. Leon

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tv for videophiles and regular joes alike
Published on April 9, 2010 by D.L. Boyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Good, but the 8000 will be the Kuro replacement, April 22, 2009
David A. Leon (Los Angeles California) - See all my reviews

A major Los Angeles vendor set up a display with the UN55B7000 sandwiched between a LaserVue and a Kuro 151. The results were pretty plain to my eyes. The Luxia pretty well crushed both of them. The cult of Kuro will denounce me for heresy and blaspheme, but this is what I saw. About 1 hour of fiddling with the settings on LaserVue did not change the situation much. The Kuro was locked in at calibrated settings which the employees would not allow me to change. Evidently, it was fully tuned up. Once again, this left me with the impression that a fully calibrated Kuro is an over-rated beast indeed. No wonder Pioneer quit the market.

The bottom line: I bought this unit the next day. It took about 2 hours to tune up after I took it out of the box. [Use the natural color setting. Customize motion smoothing to 7 for jitter control and 7 for blur control, or shut it off entirely] Since then it has been pretty astounding. Unbelievable color. Unbelievable reds. Unbelievable contrast ratios. Unbelievable black levels. Very bright. Generates no perceivable heat. Does not get hot. The detail and sharpness and depth of image is truly astounding. I have never seen anything that can compare, and I have been shopping for several months now.

Cons

I am still questioning the merit of the 120Hz motion smoothing technology. It does weird things to slow motion instant replays. It does stranger things to 24fps movies. Seems to work best with live actions sports and HDTV programs shot on digital. You can always turn it off. Blu-rays seem more natural with the technology switched off. Ultimately, Blu-Ray looks magnificent either way.

Advice

A word of advice for the first reviewer and everybody else. You should never, never, never use the speakers on your HDTV. All HDTVs are equipped with pathetic 10 watt reference speakers that stink. All HDTV owners should invest in some sort of home theater surround sound system. It doesn't have to be that expensive. Even a $300 Home Theater in a Box will make a world of difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV - will not disappoint!! UPDATED 9/23, September 3, 2009
DL (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung UN55B7000 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV (2009 Model) (Electronics)
UPDATED BELOW 9/23/09...

I have had this TV for about 2 weeks now and could not be more pleased! My A/V setup was in place when it arrived and all I had to do was connect the HDMI to start watching television. I am running HD cable (HDMI), Wii (Component), Blu Ray (HDMI), and a camera (HDMI) all through the Denon AVR-1910. Only the HDMI out from the Denon to the TV is needed as it switches and upconverts all video.
So after I plugged it in, cable channels started appearing...except for 2 HD channels - just got a black screen. I spent 45 minutes adjusting resolution ins/outs on the cable box, receiver, and TV to no avail. Finally, I rebooted the cable box, and there they were. Yes, I should have tried that first. Anyway, everything has been running without issue.

I must say, this picture is flat out gorgeous. I spent a lot of time researching TV's and checking them out in the stores; LG, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, LCD, LED, etc... but I always came back to this Samsung LED line of sets. I had read reviews talking about "searchlights" in the corners, and conversely, dark spots in the corners. The former issue I never really saw firsthand. The dark spots though, I did notice in the stores. It seemed more prevalent on the 8000 series, and in some cases I didn't see them at all. When it came down to it though, I found the overall picture so stunning that the dark areas didn't affect me (it was REALLY subtle). I was also suspicious that the sets in the stores that are constantly turned on may have something to do with it. I am pleased to say that I don't see any artifacts on my new set. The picture brightness is very uniform throughout. Couldn't be happier! If you've seen these TV's firsthand you know the thinness of the set is beyond compare. Mine is on a stand, but on the wall it would look amazing (too bad speakers aren't this thin).

As far as the picture goes, if you are pushing an HD signal to it...WOW! The picture is so vivid, bright, and detailed some scenes truly start to look 3-dimensional. Not sure what effect I'm really seeing but that's what it looks like. We had friends over and the kids were watching Kung Fu Panda in HD. All the guys were standing there behind the kids mumbling about the amazing picture. Standard def pictures look fine as well, certainly better than my old DLP. But make no mistake, the payoff is in the HD content.

So I find myself tweaking the picture each day....2 notches lower on the color, 1 higher on the gamma, 1 more for backlight, etc... it's pretty much at the point where all channels look fabulous and I don't need to adjust anything else. I'd say, expect to do that on any TV you get. I tried a cnet configuration that they recommend for dark room viewing and I hated it! Immediately switched back to my personal settings. The great thing is that the accurate colors and different configurable settings on this TV provide the flexibility that makes it nearly impossible NOT to get a perfect picture! BUT everyone's TV room, own eyes, and preferences are a little different. Because there are so many setting combinations, finding the perfect configuration for you will just take a little time - don't expect to have it straight out of the box. As far as contrast goes, awesome! In a scene of Iron Man (Blu Ray), when Tony Stark crashed his own companies party, Jeff Bridges is wearing a tux with a white scarf. I could see the ever-so-slightest off-color herringbone pattern in the scarf next to the black jacket - and it wasn't a close up. (Not kidding, it was kind of neat!)....so just based on that scene, I'd say the contrast and sharpness are top notch.

The 120hz motion effect is great as well. If you haven't yet, go see a demonstration in the store - you really need to see it to understand the hype. It is definitely pretty cool, but I have added some blur and judder back into my settings because it kind of freaked my wife out a little bit. Incredibly smooth, but definitely not how you'd see a movie in the theater. Many scenes end up looking fake, or like you're standing there watching a play on stage. Just know that it's completely adjustable or can be shut off entirely. Again, your personal preference will dictate the settings.

I'm also happy to say that the Denon upconverts the Wii video nicely and it pops out on the Samsung in full-screen looking great. I imagine PS3 or XBOX games with HD output look as good as Blu Ray. I also got the wireless adapter and hooked up to my Windows Media Center to browse pics and movies. Works great - no issues there.

The only oddity that I have seen is the fluctuating back light during dark scenes. Other reviews point this out as well. If a scene goes really dark, like rolling the first credits after the movie, yes, the entire screen will dim. Switch back to a bright scene and the brightness pops back on. When it happens it's noticeable, but it doesn't happen often. I only see it in an extreme contrast change as described above. In my opinion this is a small price to pay when 99.9% of the experience is breathtaking.

Overall, this set delivers an incredible picture that is hard to beat. I read a lot of professional reviews and they always find a few negative things to focus on, like "the moiré on the fence in the 16th fight scene when the guy drops his gun was noticeable." Huh? They also say 240hz is better than 120hz. Yes, if your name is UNIVAC and you are analyzing a test pattern. Real people can't even sense some of these things! I stopped paying too much attention to these after a while. Stand in front of these sets, adjust the pictures, and you will figure out what looks good! For me, this was it - I absolutely recommend this television!

UPDATE: 9/23/09 - Fluctuating Backlight Fixed! Just want to say that this TV still impresses me every time I watch it. As to the fluctuating backlight issue... I found a post that explained how to go into the service menu and turn this off. It's called CE Dimming and can be set to on or off in both Standard and Movie modes. I turned it off in the Standard mode and it worked without issue. You do need to go in and readjust your picture settings since it resets them, so write them down beforehand. Otherwise, it worked fine and now I have to say the picture is 100% solid. Here are the instructions: With the TV off, push Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. Scroll to "Advanced", press 0000 - don't hit enter. Scroll (down arrow) to CE Dimming and hit Enter. Select Movie or Standard, and hit the left or right arrow to switch it off. Done, hit power. Turn on the TV like you normally would and Auto-dimming is now off!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful television, great picture, poor sound, menus and limmitations, April 7, 2009
Pros:

1- amazing size to performance ratio. This TV is incredibly thin. You will have to see it to believe it. At just over an inch thick (not to mention 55" from corner to corner), this television boasts some of the best stats available, compared to any other brands/models out there.

2-LED back lighting. This feature is what initially caught my eye. When I first saw it I noticed immediately how incredibly deep the blacks were. This boost in depth of the color plate seems to permeate the entire color spectrum, allowing for deeper, more remarkable fullness when viewing all forms content.

3- base statistics. The contrast ratio (although I have read many conflicting, reports, including the manufactures own specification information, which makes it difficult to place an exact quantitative value), 120hz, 1080p, 4 millisecond response time, USB x2 connections, LAN access, ect... They are all there. This television has the capabilities to seamlessly bind your computer or local area network and your home theater into a truly coherent "media center" provided you have the gumption.

4- "Xbrite" like display. I call it this for lack of a better option. The screen itself of this LCD is not matted like many of its predecessors, it is glossy resembling a plasma TV or some of its smaller LCD PC monitor cousins, which allows it a brighter, fuller color clarity. This could be considered as "bothersome" by some because it allows for more apparent reflections of light, casting it back into the viewers eye, but the shear intensity of light emitted by this TV puts this claim to rest.

Cons:

1- Menus. After spending multiple hours removing my previous television, measuring and cutting holes in walls, fuddling with cables, and vacuuming dust bunnies and drywall dust, I found my self at the heart of my disappointment with this TV. Navigating the menu system. Don't get me wrong, it is not difficult, but it is entirely cumbersome. To start off a simple task like switching sources is made time consuming and attracts attention because you have to hit a minimum of 3 buttons on the remote to switch to your closest input. This may seem like someone complaining that you have to turn the faucet on to fill a glass of water but just play with it for a bit and you will see what I am talking about. The menus themselves are all animated and take a moment to load, which adds to the frustration when trying to navigate through them, and when you get to the input you want you have to manually exit the menu by pressing the "enter" or "return" button on the remote. This problem could have been easily alleviated by having shortcut buttons to the individual inputs on the remote, like most other manufactures offer.

2-Sound. The sound quality is greatly deteriorated by the fact that the speakers on this model face the opposite direction of the screen. Reverberation off a wall is not an adequate substitution for direct focus. The sound quality is not bad in itself, such as being boxy, tinny or deteriorating with increased volume, it is just not as full as others that I have heard (but this is to be expected being the form factor that it is). It will be necessary to have a surround sound system with this TV, but you probably already have one if you are seriously looking at this model.

3 Limitation of inputs. For some insane reason, Samsung preemptively decided which inputs (HDMI) you could use for which devices and placed limitations on those inputs as they saw fit. This is entirely lame and a let down. Scrolling through the menu selections on various HDMI inputs you will notice that a good majority or your picture modifications are not adjustable according to what input you have currently selected. Despite changing the labels of the inputs and reorganizing HDMI inputs, you are not able to get the full gamut of picture corrections that you payed a lot of money for. This, for me, is the biggest let down of the television. There is nothing worse than seeing a whole slue of options that are supposedly available, but are "grayed out" for some unknown reason. I expect, at this price and ability, to be able to fully customize each input that the televesion has, regardless of what peripheral I am connecting to it.
This con might not prevent you from purchasing this TV, but you should be at least aware of it. I have a lot of different devices connected at any given time, ie. blue ray, dvd, vhs, xbox 360, ps3, wii, xbox, n64, psx, snes, nes, pc, camcorder, camera, and some flash based devices, like some of the newer ipods/iphones, and it really bothers me that I cannot change the settings to what ever fits my needs best.

4- Dynamic contrast. This feature seems to be a blessing and a bit of a curse. On one hand you get dark, rich colors, and on the other you get much darker whites when the majority of the screen is dark in hue. You only need to scroll through the menu system of the TV on a static, dark background to see this flaw in action. How dynamic contrast works is that it lowers the backlighting of the television when it senses most of what it is displaying is dark, which makes any contrast in hues, i.e. whites to blacks, much darker than they would normally be. This may not be a deal breaker for some, but depending on what you watch, there is a noticeable difference. I personally like to watch a lot of the space/nasa documentaries, and when they show Hubble images of deep space that are for the most part black, with just a few pin points of light, you notice that that you are loosing quality/brightness of image (as compared to other flat panels without this dynamic contrast perk).

5- Lack of inputs. This downfall is the price you pay for having such a small form factor I guess. 4 HDMI is ok, minus them all being individually limited, but there is only one component in, no composite/S video in at all and the stereo out is a 3.5mm jack so you need an adapter, which is not included. The TV does have optical audio out, so if you have a somewhat capable/newer surround sound system you will be ok, provided you spend the money and buy the expensive cabling to connect it (heaven forbid that your receiver is more than a few feet away or else you are going to feel it in your wallet). Another problem that all of these digital connections bring, that is rarely advertised, is that there is a lot more optimization involved to make them work normally. Say "good by" to just plugging things in and having them work. If you don't have a lot of patients for reading user manuals or trial and error, it might be necessary to pay the extra cost for having some "Geek" come to your house and make everything work properly for you.
Another slight annoyance is that this TV does not offer any sort of video out. A slight inconvenience really, but I would like to keep my options open.

6- 120 hz it more like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Some people like its effects on movies/games, I personally have turn it off to make the TV look normal to me. You really need to evaluate the feature for your self and make a decision. For me, it looks like it increases the frame rate at times and slows it down in others, which gives the overall viewing quality a "hurky-jerky" feel. Others that have seen the feature on my TV say it gives it more of a 3D quality or that it is more like looking out a window, as apposed to viewing a TV. Its effect is much more noticeable while viewing certain media such as , blue ray, DVD's or video games. I can barely notice it while watching HD/SD content from Comcast (1080i/480p respectively).

7-"Media Center" short comings. What, no youtube? Even my phone has that. I would also like to see WMC connectivity, a flash enabled web browser, and come to think of it, bluetooth, so you can connect a qwarty keyboard to actually take advantage of it all. This would truly bump this TV into an upper eschelon, rivaled by no other device to date.

Summary
All in all, I think this TV is feature rich with a few let downs that could be corrected with a bit of ingenuity (hopefully made possible in the way of firmware upgrades, putting the LAN feature to good use). I would not personally recommend this TV to any of may friends because I would not want to hear them complain, but I would tell them to come over, play with it and decide for themselves if it is the right choice for them. Knowing what I know now it would be hard to say if I would upgrade again from what I had previously (LG 50px4dr) to this TV, but I can truthfully say that the picture quality on most devices (cable, xbox 360 and others (NOT PLAYSTATION 3, I get a weird snowy pixelated effect on the home screen that drives me crazy and was the reason I bought a new TV in the first place)) is vastly superior to most other televisions that I have seen. The bottom line is that you need to play with this television for a bit before you purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung LED 7100, April 29, 2009
Wow! Do you want the best picture available today. Look at the Samsung 7000 series LED TV.

I have had this for a week now and am very, very pleased with the set. I have the 7100 series from Best Buy. This is a special model only sold through Best Buy. It is the same as the 7000 except for some cute little add ons. One being the ability to scroll through a series of museum paintings. This allows you to use the set as a picture viewer/screen saver and when used with your audio system makes a nice back drop for a party or something of that sort. You can not add pictures. It also allows you to go to the internet and use Yahoo widgets and about five other widgets. There are also a couple of games built in. Will most people use these features? Probably not!

The other feature is the Touch Of Color which I really do not care for anyway. The 7000 is generally $300 cheaper than the 7100 so you chose.

The 7100 series is on sale the week of Apr 28, 2009 for $3,100. This is a $600 price drop. This is the same thing that happened to the Sony 240 hz set. In January 2009 it was $3,900 and is down to $2,800. If you want to wait, it will drop more but that is technology.

My wife usually does not say anything about the TVs we have except if she can not get the remote to turn everything on. She and my son were watching James Bond - Quantum of Solace on bluray. She told me that it was like sitting in the director's chair on the set. The quality of the bluray screen is so clear that it takes on a 3D appearance. The colors are true, the whites are white and the blacks are black. There is no bleeding or blurring of motion. The dark scenes are just as life like as the light scenes.

If I spend this much on a TV, then I will also have a good sound system so the built-in speakers are not a problem. The TV remotes are not that useful. The small round remote is useless. Again, I have the set connected to an amp, a cable box, a bluray player and an old VHS player. I use a programable remote so I do not use the Samsung remote.

The thinness of the set makes the set shrink from the viewer. I mean my old 56' cabinet was two feet deep. This set is 1 and 1/4 inches deep. It hugs the wall so well that it does not dominate the room even though it is 55". The most important part is that there is little to no heat generated by this set. It uses 40% less power than an LCD of the same size. This should help the set last longer and save power on AC and set top use as well.

When using this set to compare pictures make sure that you look at about a dozen different high definition stations. The high definition stations are not all the same! HDNet1, HDNet2, The Science Channel, and ABC in my area are tremendous with the quality in the order shown above. The worst are CBS, PBS, and TBS. There is a big difference in video and audio quality of these stations. Again, look at several stations your area may be totally different.

I had planned to purchase the Sony 240hz TV. I am so glad that I did not. The matte finish on the Sony does little to cut down glare but really, really mutes the picture. The colors and picture on the Sony are also muted by the matte finish.

The picture on the Samsung LED is like looking through a really, really clean window. In other words - awesome!

Pro: Picture quality.

Con: Price.

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG!, November 6, 2009
Robert J. Kierski (Farmington, MN USA) - See all my reviews
First, let me say, this is not my first big screen HDTV. In fact, this is replacing a 62 inch DLP. So I wasn't expecting to be WOW'd by this TV... but I was. I don't have a way to compare the DLP and LCD side by side -- the DLP is dead. But I don't recall the DLP's image being as clear and vivid as this image. The DLP was able to display 1080i/720p which is about as good as you're going to get from digital broadcasts. But even on DVD's with lower resolution, the image appears more life-like.

There were a number of other expectations I had. Some of them were met, some where not, some were exceeded. I will go into details of each.

1) Setup: I was expecting to have to assemble something. But the unit was shipped in a fairly large box fully assembled. I suppose if you intended to mount yours on the wall, you'd have to disassemble the stand. As for me, I intended to have it sitting on it's stand.

2) Swivel base: I didn't expect the base would allow it to swivel side to side. Because the TV is so thin and I've put it in a place that used to be occupied by a 17 inch thick DLP, there is plenty of room for the TV to swivel so you can sit on one side of the room or the other and still be in the sweet-spot. That's probably not a big deal for those who are buying the TV for it's 1.6inch depth.

3) Connections: I was disappointed in several ways. The information on Amazon indicated this TV has 2 RF inputs. It has only 1. My DLP had 2 RF inputs so I could connect my cable to one, and antenna to the other. In my area, with a moderate size antenna, I can pick up about 50 HD channels Out-of-the-Air. My cable company rebroadcasts only about 15 of those digital signals, and periodically changes what channel they're on.

In an attempt to make the TV very thin, it appears they've given very little room for high quality connectors. I had to remove the boot from my CAT6 (network) cable. I had to shave one side of the boot of my RG6 (RF) cable. Without these modifications, I couldn't use those cables.

In an era of HighSpeed internet, I would have expected the network connection to be a GigE, but it appears to only be 100BT. While 100BT is theoretically enough to stream even the highest resolution media to the TV, my media servers, media receivers, and PC all have GigE. When I switched to a GigE switch, I noticed considerable difference in viewing experience. A GigE chipset would have probably added only about $30 to the price of the TV -- not a big deal.

I was however very impressed with this TV's ability to be a monitor my my laptop. I plugged it into the VGA connection and was surprised to get full 1920x1080 resolution.

4) Yahoo Widgets: It's certainly a neat idea to be able to see certain information on the screen, but the widgets that are available are unimpressive. You can get most of that information on your Cell phone, without interfering with your TV watching experience.

For about 3 years, I've looked for a way to watch YouTube videos on my HDTV. The YouTube widget leaves a lot to be desired. As far as I can tell.... there is no way to associate the widget with your YouTube account so you can't subscribe to channels, mark favorites, set up play lists, or view your history. The image quality seems to be better than I expected and it appears that it selects the HQ feed when available. Even attempting to search is rather difficult because the on screen keyboard is the worst I've ever used. The keyboard doesn't wrap side-to-side or top-to-bottom. If you're on the key in the top right, and the next key is in the bottom left, you have to move across a million keys to get to the one you need. In it's current state, the YouTube widget is worthless.

5) DLNA: Very disappointing. I have 3 media servers that have different implementations of the DLNA (non)standard. The media receives I've used that interact with the DLNA servers have a variety of flaws, but this TV is probably the worst of them. It's slow bringing up the lists of available content, and tends to refuse to play simple content, or doesn't play them correctly. I was hoping to replace the media receiver attached to my DLP, but I'm not able to because it has faster, better support for the DLNA server, as well as supporting SMB. If the TV can't do DLNA well, maybe Samsung should think about supporting SMB instead (this TV doesn't).

6) AnyNet+: This works a lot better than I expected. I bought a Samsung BD player with this TV. There are a couple of things I can't do with the BD player except with it's remote, but for the most part, it's a seamless experience. It would be nice to have a BD button on the remote -- there's a TV button.

7) Image: Based on reviews I'd read elsewhere and here, I was expecting to have issues with various aspects of the picture. I haven't had any of the "spot light" or "dark corner" problems that people have reported. This TV has incredible darks, brights, and colors. If you get a chance to watch Survivor on this TV.... Do it! Some of the scenes are breathtaking.

I have noticed however, that the picture looks "too good." The high contrast, clear detail, and motion smoothing tend to make the picture too good. It's a little disturbing. I've had to adjust some of the picture settings to add a little imperfection.

8) Glare: I was expecting to see considerable reflection on the high gloss screen. With the DLP, during dark scenes, I could see my reflection staring back at me. With this screen, I don't see that reflection. In fact, I don't see any reflection. I haven't figured out why that would be -- it's a high gloss screen.

9) USB media player: I'm impressed that this TV is able to play so many formats. I have media in some odd formats that I've had difficulty playing -- even in Windows Media Player. This TV is able to play them. I'm dissapointed though that it's not able to play VOB files from the USB. It will play them with the DLNA player, so I would think it should pay them from a USB stick. But it doesn't.

I compared this TV with the 8000, and 8500 in the same size. When the TV's are sitting side-by-side, you're 5 feet away, and looking for specific differences, you can see those differences clear as day. When you look at each TV by them self, or if you're actually watching a move or show, it's hard to pick up those flaws/differences. Even watching the same feed with them side-by-side, I couldn't justify spending the hunderds of $$ more for the minor improvements of the 8000 or 8500.

Reading back, my review sounds very negative. But I'm very happy with this TV. It's much better than the DLP it's replacing both in picture quality and features.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE 7000 BEAT MY 650 PLASMA AND MY FRIEND'S KURO, January 27, 2010
Update on March 8, 2010:
Just wanted everyone to know that over Olympics weekend, we had a guest who considers himself THE world judge of HDTV (you each know of someone like this....quote facts and figures all day...), and he owns a Pioneer KURO Plasma. According to him, it is the Gold Standard of big HDTV.

Well - there he was, sitting in our living room, totally silent as he watched the Olympics on our 7000 series HDTV. After a few minutes, he spoke up and told my wife and I that the picture was as good or better than his 'sacred' KURO! (I could tell he was sort of hissing out the words...)
He also noted that our 7000 looked better in the daytime (this was on a Saturday afternoon in our living room with large windows on one side). Out of respect, I did not bring up the much bigger heat and power consumption of his KURO, to spare his feelings.....
Same guy called me this past weekend to ask more about it, and that he was out looking at buying one! Not that I was gloating or anything........

I of course just had to post this great compliment from a KURO owner to you all!
No question this is the best TV investment we have ever made.
Oh, our setup rocks the house: Comcast HD box into a Yamaha RXV765 receiver with 5 channel surround with ORB Audio MOD2 speakers and their 10" UberSub (killer combo-better than big theater sound, and Samsung BluRay player. We mounted the TV on the wall with hidden cables above a low boy where we store the equipment and DVD collection.
KURO? No - KUDO's - to Samsung for a job very well done.

Many folks still wonder about the newer LED/LCD vs. Plasma.
I was one of them. After months of research, I picked the 58" B650 Plasma.
It is always tough to audition in a store, but we felt it beat out the big LCD's.
Well - read on.
Had it 3 weeks, waiting for it to 'break in', which it did (the phosphors have to age and become uniform - took about 50 hours of viewing to achieve.)
Was able over time to get a great pic (in dynamic mode), but it never quite
looked as great as our Samsung 40" B630 upstairs.
Then I measured the power consumption after we noticed the heat coming off the screen. Uh - 550W average, with peaks up to 700W in certain brght movie scenes!
My wife and I play the set quite a bit, and some quick math told us the heat and cost was just too much a price to pay for something that will hang on the wall for years to come. Back to the stores for more auditioning.

After another few weeks of looking we bought the 55" UN55B7000 LED/LCD.
Almost the same size - but 1/4 the power after reading up on it.
Out of the box, this set looked as good or better than the plasma.
Black levels as good - color balance even better - My test BluRay that has a number of tough to get right grey/black scenes is Terminator Salvation. Looked better on the 7000.I use that, and UP, which really tests the color saturation.
And this is in the default movie mode, which comes up when I use my Samsung BluRay player.
With minimal tweaking in Standard Mode, I got it looking even better.
No heat. Long term cost way down over the plasma.

SUMMARY - I was able to own both in my own home and do my own tweaking and comparing, and all things considered - The LED/LCD 7000 beat out the 58B650 plasma.
Hope this provides some input for others that are trying to decide.
Consider all the factors - the heat and power as well as the picture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great depth, clarity, and detail, but disappointing blur & jutter, May 13, 2009
David A. Leon (Los Angeles California) - See all my reviews
I took delivery on this HDTV on April 18 of 2009 so I have now owned the HDTV for approximately 4 weeks. I guess that makes me as experienced as any owner with this unit.

Pros

Amazing depth, clarity and detail of the image. The color is excellent. The black levels are amazingly deep. Reds are as red as the LaserVue. LED side-lighting means very low power consumption, and virtually no heat production. It is 1.2 inches thick, although I do not regard that as a substantial feature.

Cons

There is still motion blur, ghosting and after imaging on LCD HDTVs. The Luxia 7000 is no exception. This unit is no exception. You may be used to it if you have owned LCD for several years. You may not notice it if you don't watch sports or fast action movies.

120Hz motion smoothing works fine for broadcast sports. It does not work with Blu-Ray movies. It does wacky and bizarre things to 24fps movies. The motion looks fake or phony. The lips of the actor frequently get out of synch with the sound track.

Overall it is good HDTV. Still, I regret giving up my Samsung DLP, and I will return to DLP land as soon as my target model hits the market. DLP works better for movies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tv for videophiles and regular joes alike, April 9, 2010
I purchased this tv after several months of research since I wanted this to be a quality tv. I understand the merits of plasma and they do have their uses for particular situations, but for me, LED LCD was the way to go. You might save a little money by going to the 6000 series model since all it lacks I believe are the internet widgets and so far, I haven't made too much use of them. If they come with a Netflix widget, then it will be well worth it! There are a couple of things to consider with this tv. First, the sound on it isn't the best as in volume and such, but chances are if you are spending this much on a tv, you have a home theater as well and it's a moot point. Second, some of the connections were difficult to make on the tv because it is so slim. Some connectors might be too bulky to fit so just be aware you might need to get slimmed downed ones.

I haven't purchased the wall mount for this yet as I live in an apartment, but it would look so good on the wall. Some thought this was a too big of a tv for a 8' viewing distance, but it is awesome! It's almost like being in a theater. The tv tuner on this model is very good too, I was pleasantly surprised how nice the sd channels came out.

I'd recommend this any day, even over the 6000 model because even though the widget library may not be too great now, it has lots of room to grow and with a tv purchase like this, I like the opportunity to upgrade. I haven't even tried the media streaming aspects of the tv so it can only get better :) Do buy the wireless attachment though unless you have a cat 5 run close to the tv. It makes life easy and you don't notice it even there. Hopefully as I learn more about tweaking the tv, I'll love it even more. I'm still figuring out this whole 120hz thing since there are many options, but it's nice to have flexibility. It's also nice that it comes with a cool dumbed-down remote for those who are electronic-adverse :) Regular remote could be designed better, but I've used much worse.

UPDATE: Turns out that Samsung went with a different model for their internet apps for 2010. Looks like maybe there won't be any widgets for netflix but is part of the 2010 model lineup. With that in mind I'm disappointed that there isn't going to be a software upgrade for the B-series model to support the new scheme and leaves me wondering if they'll do this every year. I would skip this model if you care about internet apps and go with this years C-series. Or if internet isn't a concern, go with the B6000 series and save some money. I still love this tv, but very disappointed in the "futureproof" aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with MY TV!!! Samsung 55 LED 7000, March 5, 2010
Received my Samsung 55 LED 7000 TV 1 hour ago and I am ecstatic. $1699.00 no interest for 24 mos., free shipping in 3 days and no 8 1/2% tax. This is $300 better then best local at Frys. and with tax savings and delivery charge!! Was delivered by Pilot Transport. They wheeled it into my living room, unpacked, set it up on my fireplace and hooked up cable and electric. Took about 15 minutes. I am 70+ yrs old and can not lift or use my hands well. The man from Pilot, Orlando Amayas, was really nice and above and beyond in his service.

I read the quick setup guide and ran it through time set, channel scan and started watching.

Picture is brilliant!! Have in a well lit area and cabine is beautiful Love the controls and the little mini-remote. This is a replacement for my Samsung 40" HD that is three yrs old and now destined to my home office.

I looked at the 8500, 8000, and the 7000 side by side at Frys. I really couldn't see any significant difference so the 240HZ at bigger bucks didn't make any sense to me. My son has the 8500 and he is a sports nut and says he can see the difference but of course with much younger eyes. Do the side by side your self and see what you think for yourself. If any changes or problems I will update this. For now, I am a happy camper in Houston. Go Aggies!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars sam68, September 8, 2009
"I have been comparing HDTVs for some time now. I would say that the way to go is LED. I bought the 7100 (silver edge @ Best Buy) and I just love it. Setup was quick and easy. The colors and clarity are out of this world. Great for watching sports! Many reviewers have commented on the speakers, but in a pinch it will do. The sound is as good as my Mitsubishi - 55" that I'm replacing. If you can get a home theater system you wont regret it. I also bought a Samsung - Blu-Ray Disc Player and a Whalen - 3-in-1 TV Stand.

Samsung UN55B7000 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV (2009 Model)
Used & New from: $1,200.00