Picture performance, advanced connectivity and a stunning design come together to form Samsung LED TV 8500. For the image connoisseur, our highest 240Hz motion blur reduction technology, our highest 7,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio that displays incredibly deep blacks and pristine whites, and enriched color processing deliver outstanding video. Samsung InternetTV has web TV widgets from Yahoo, Flicker, Ebay and others to entertain, inform and connect you to specially designed web content right on your LED TV. This Ultra Slim 1.6” depth set is the ideal complement for your room and your life.innovative digital technology. Powerful LED technology offers the most impressive contrast and color you have ever seen on a 55-inch screen; innovative 240Hz technology renders four times the frames per second compared to standard HDTVs, for motion that’s truly lifelike and smooth. A pre-loaded Content Library puts countless hours of information and entertainment at your fingertips. The Medi2.0 feature brings online content – such as video, stocks, photo sharing and more – straight to your HDTV, with downloadable, customizable widgets that are easily controlled via the remote. The Ultra Slim Design is only 1.2 inches deep, and that’s including the tuner! Another visual highlight is the striking Touch of Color accented bezel. And with the photo frame wall mount, you can bring the elegant brilliance of this inches from the wall – in virtually any room. And with the same passion we have for delivering groundbreaking HD excitement and style, Samsung is dedicated to preserving the environment with LED TVs, through reduced power consumption (up to 40% savings versus 2008 Samsung conventional LCD TVs).
From the Manufacturer
Samsung 850 September 15, 2009
Picture performance, advanced connectivity and a stunning design come together with the Samsung UN55B8500 55-inch LED HDTV to achieve a high level of picture quality as well as provide a unique and immersive entertainment experience. Using Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) as its primary light source--rather than traditional Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL)--this cutting edge HDTV also offers the benefits of an ultra-high contrast ratio and a slim depth that allows for a more artful design. And the 8500 Series also includes innovative LED Local Dimming technology, which selectively turns blocks of LEDs off to render perfectly true blacks while others are left on to produce more light in order to express pure whites.
The Crystal Neck swivel stand.
With Samsung's innovative use of white LEDs as a backlight source, the 8500 Series is capable of a stunning 7,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for extreme detail and image depth and an an ultra-quick 2ms panel response time for fast-paced content. Its Wide Color Enhancer Pro ensures that colors are consistently vibrant, while Samsung's Ultra Clear Panel works to improve image clarity and brightness regardless of a room's ambient lighting.
To battle motion blur and image judder that can plague LCD displays when displaying fast movement onscreen, this 8500 Series LED HDTV utilizes Samsung's Auto Motion Plus frame interpolation technology with an ulatra-fast 240Hz refresh rate--four times that of other TVs. It also boasts high dynamic contrast ratios, complements of the ground breaking LED light source.
The 8500 Series features Samsung's new InternetTV online content service. Developed with Yahoo!, InternetTV uses either a wired or wireless Ethernet connection to access content onscreen from Yahoo!, Flickr, YouTube and more with the push of a button. The widget-based interface and scrollbar run along the bottom of the screen for easy browsing of the latest programs and content.
- Screen Size: 55 inches
- Full 1080p HD (Learn more)
- New -- Breakthrough local dimming LED technology for a sharper picture as well as true-to-life brightness ranging from the purest black to pristine white. (Learn more)
- Auto Motion Plus 240Hz: Advanced processing that reduces blur and enhances image detail when viewing fast motion video sequences. (Learn more)
- Energy Savings: Samsung's LED TVs use up to 40 percent less power than conventional LCD TVs. (Learn more)
- Ultra-slim Design: 1.6-inch depth
- Ultra-quick 2ms response time minimizes blurring of fast motion in sports programs.
- Mega dynamic contrast ratio (7,000,000:1)
- HD-Grade Pixel Resolution: High-resolution pixel density is combined with a built-in image scaler to handle inputs from a variety of digital and analog audio/video sources.
- Ultra Clear Panel: Advanced LCD technology lets you enjoy crisp image details, natural skin tones, excellent shadow detail, and vibrant colors.
- Game Mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games. Picture and sound quality optimized for the special needs of gaming systems at the touch of a button.
- Wide Color Enhancer Pro optimizes a given color's hue, resulting in more natural rendering of colors.
- Picture-in-Picture (PIP) enables convenient, simultaneous viewing of TV programs and video or PC content sources.
- Audio: Two stereo speakers (15-watts each, for 30 watts of total power)
- SRS TruSurround HD creates an immersive, feature-rich surround sound experience from two speakers, complete with rich bass, high frequency detail and clear dialog.
- Content Library (2 GB Flash Memory): Built-in library contains photo art gallery, games, workout routines, recipes, and other interesting digital content. Additional items and updates are available from Samsung.com.
- Two USB 2.0 ports for playing a variety of video, photo, and audio files from portable devices, including external hard drives
- DLNA-compatible for better interopability with electronics, computers and mobile devices from many different manufacturers (Learn more)
- Anynet Plus (HDMI-CEC) allows peripheral AV devices such as a DVD player to be controlled by a Samsung TV remote control.
- Energy Star Compliant: Reduces energy consumption by up to 25 percent compared with standard TVs.
- Built-in digital tuner--no external box needed.
- V-Chip system allows blocking of rated TV and movie programs determined by a parent to contain objectionable content.
- Crystal Neck swivel stand
- Warranty: 1 year parts and 1 year labor warranty (90 days parts and labor for commercial use), with in home service, backed by Samsung toll-free support.
- Medi2.0 lets you enjoy more with Internet TV, allowing you to receive content via Yahoo!, Flickr, and more via on-screen TV widgets. (Learn more)
- HDMI (version 1.3): 4 back
- USB: 2 back
- Component video: 1 back
- Composite video: 1 back (shared with component)
- PC input: 1 back
- Ethernet: 1 back
- Optical digital audio output: 1 back
- TV without stand: 52.1 x 31.4 x 1.6 inches (WxHxD); 61.7 pounds
- TV with stand: 52.1 x 34 x 12.1 inches (WxHxD); 77.6 pounds
- What size TV should you get?
|Compared to a traditional CCFL, LEDs produce darker blacks that appear endlessly deep to the eye. And with the 8500 Series' LED local dimming backlighting technology, the lit parts of the on-screen image can brightened to the maximum while all light is shut off in the dark areas of the screen. The result is the ultimate in contrast ratio. Moreover, the reduction of brightness in the dark areas also cuts power consumption by as much as half. |
The 8500 Series also includes Samsung's Wide Color Enhancer Pro feature, which provides a broader color palette by analyzing each pixel and then stretches them to their 3-dimensional limit for the fullest, most lifelike colors possible. Samsung's Ultra Clear Panel further allows the preservation of every detail even in brightly-lit, imperfect viewing conditions. This is done by effectively allowing more light to pass through the screen and simultaneously reducing reflections from ambient light.
Auto Motion Plus 240Hz
| || |
There's a big difference between seeing the game and seeing every split second of it. That's where Auto Motion Plus 240Hz technology comes in. All the action in every frame is analyzed and then adjusted so nothing goes by in a blur. This technology quadruples the frame rate from 60 to 240 frames per second (240Hz LCD panel) without repeating the same image to make more frames. Instead, it uses interpolation to intelligently calculate and place three new frames between two existing frames to create smoother transitions.
Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA)
|You already know something about digital living. There’s the TV and digital video recorder in your family room. (And another set in your bedroom.) You have a PC and digital printer in your office, along with a network attached storage device. And you’ve copied all your music onto your portable music player and haven’t had to open a CD case for years. But getting them to talk to each other can be pretty tough. Why is it still so difficult to send digital content from one device to another? |
Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a collaboration of the world’s leading consumer electronics, PC and mobile companies that has created design guidelines for a new generation of products that can work together — no matter the brand.
Think for a moment about all of the photos "locked away" on your home PC that you wish you could access while entertaining your friends and family. Now, thanks to DLNA enabled devices, a DLNA-enabled PC can be accessed from the comfort of your living room or family room via a DLNA-enabled HDTV, where you can enjoy your memories with friends and family, without having to deal with the hassle and non-intuitive "PCexperience".
Or, say you recently downloaded your daughter’s birthday party video from your digital camcorder to your PC. Now you want to share it with your parents who are visiting. Without DLNA, you probably have to burn a DVD of the video or hook up the camcorder to the TV. With DLNA, you can just use your TV’s remote to call up the video on your TV. That's it.
| ||With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTVs, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience. |
If you know the size of the room you have already, where you want to sit, and where your new HDTV should go once you get it, you can figure out the size HDTV you should get.
- Minimum size = Viewing distance/3
- Maximum size=Viewing distance/1.5