1,048 of 1,113 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A great 4K display- bought for commercial purpose
Published 13 months ago by CicadaFX

I had the chance to try out this tv and I wanted to provide some feedback on it.

Published 12 months ago by J. Haggard

1,048 of 1,113 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars A great 4K display- bought for commercial purpose, October 15, 2013
First of all, I am a display engineer and I evaluate and specify LCD panels (the actual display part that goes inside an LCD TV) and related hardware, for a living. My interest in this TV is strictly for use as a low-cost, high resolution graphics display, basically a large digital picture frame that can show moving elements, for a commercial application. In case you were wondering, $5,500 is very low-cost for something in this performance range by today's standards- this panel will be replacing a $39,000 NEC.

With that said, a word on 4K- frankly, a consumer has no business purchasing a 4K TV at this time. It is too early and you will be better served and will get better picture quality from a standard HDTV in a similar size. Maybe this UHD/4K format will be consumer-viable in 3-5 years- about the time that you will want to buy a new TV anyway!

The reason is simple: up-scaling. Up-scaling is a digital process that requires the internal DSP to CREAT PIXELS out of nothingness! This takes processing time (leading to motion blur) REDUCES the apparent resolution of the up-scaled image (due to pixel averaging) and is generally NOT considered an positive attribute by anyone except by the marketing department! Ever tried to play a VHS tape on an HDTV? VHS looks fair to OK on a 25" tube set but up-scaled to HDTV sizes, the video stinks. This is the curse of up-scaling. Also, there is almost NO CONTENT available today in native 4K, there are only VERY limited plans to release certain things in 4K native and a distribution media (streaming, super-duper blu-ray, etc.) to deliver 4K to the home DOES NOT EXIST! BluRay media today is only capable of 1080/HD resolutions (no matter what the box says) and will look best on a NATIVE 1080/HD panel. Sure, you can watch the 40 or so 5 minute YouTube videos that are available in 4K if your internet connection can maintain 10MB/s but 40 videos doesn't translate into what I would consider "adequate content" to justify investing in bleeding-edge technology.

Overall, I must say I am not disappointed in the image form this UHD TV. It's a nice panel. Good blacks, an excellent viewing angle, strong anti-aliasing so transitions look crisp and mechanically it is very trim and nice. The base is easy to assembl, aesthetically pleasing and I like the separate interconnect box and the single cable that connects to the back of the unit as this makes wall-mounting very simple. Some people might have issues with the relatively short length of this cable (10 feet?) for running it in conduits or within furniture. I'm guessing this proprietary cable (with proprietary connectors) would be pricey if Samsung sells a longer one. The traditional remote is functional. The second touch-sense remote provided suffers from a crappy touch interface and is unusable in my opinion. The one negative on the TV is the glare- the front polarizer (front layer on the screen) is quite shiny and acts as a mirror for bright light sources.

A word about "SmartTV" and other features: I'm not a fan of embedded applications and "smart" functions though this Samsung is the best I've seen yet. It is responsive, capable and works fairly well if you need or want "smart" functions in a display. It is a bit annoying though as Samsung seems to have decided that their TV product is going to be the center of your AV universe and they offer little in the way of "system configuration" choice. Frankly I wish there was a hardware switch on every "smart" device where I could disable all "smart" functions completely. For my application, I may not be able to integrate this panel due to "smart" pop-up messages that I can't seem to disable. We are looking at hacking out the Linux core on this thing and dumbing it down...

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Amazing Piece of Technology!, November 19, 2013
This review is from: Samsung UN55F9000 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV (2013 Model) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Samsung sure has changed my opinion of them with this TV. In other reviews of this product, Samsung apparently lost a fan or two, but they have a new one here. Based on some of the initial reviews I was sure skeptical about how this TV would perform. To pay a premium for a new technology that could potentially make some things worse, like adding blurring, fuzzy text, etc. is just completely unacceptable. After a very thorough and extensive review, I just don't see how those other reviews can be accurate. My personal experience with this TV is polar opposite. This TV makes everything better, and nothing worse.

I'll share what components I tested this TV with in a minute. First, let's get through some of the details. As others have noted, this TV is easy to put together and perform initial setup. The included stand is minimalist, involving three pieces and 8 total screws. You can have this put together in less than 5 minutes. You might need a hand taking the TV out of the box and putting it up on a mount or cabinet. The TV weighs 75lbs with its stand. Wish #1: I wish the TV could swivel on the stand, but it can't. Long term I will probably invest in an articulating wall mount.

Cabling it is also very simple. Just like any other TV except that the connectivity into the TV has been uncoupled from the TV itself, and lives in a separate box called the One Connect. All of your connections are made to the One Connect, which then attaches to the panel with a single 10 foot cable. This makes wall mounting the system a snap, and brings the connectivity closer to the devices for easy maintenance. I agree with another reviewer, this should be the new standard for TV's. Just awesome. Wish #2: I wish the power cord was longer than 5 feet. When I invest in the wall mount, I will probably have an electrician put an outlet behind where the TV mounts so power cord length is a non-issue.

The initial setup is guided by Samsung's very easy and intuitive user interface. You can easily be watching TV within 5 minutes of powering on. The TV comes with two remote controls. One is a standard remote control, and the other is more like the touch-pad on a laptop. Very modern, very smart. I was also able to successfully use U-verse guided remote control setup so that my U-verse remote controls the Samsung TV power, mute, volume, etc. I tried numerous U-verse codes, and none of them worked. The U-verse guided setup basically keeps guessing until it gets it right, and it finally set it up perfectly. Internet connectivity is also easy to set up. The TV supports both wireless and connected LAN. I happen to use powerline networking rather than wireless because I get better performance that way. I was actually able to stream UHD video samples from YouTube flawlessly. The TV allows you to customize the IP settings, choose DNS, Gateway, etc. I was able to setup OpenDNS and Google safe search so the TV Internet browser was much safer for our kids, which I like a lot.

So I mentioned earlier that I believe the TV makes everything better, and nothing worse. I tested the TV with the following components that I believe are typical of what most people will have:
1) U-verse DVR capable of outputting both 720p and 1080i via HDMI
2) 5 Year old Sharp Blu-ray player capable of outputting 1080p via HDMI
3) Wii U capable of outputting 1080p gaming via HDMI
4) Brand new "Samsung BD-F7500 4K Upscaling 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player" capable of outputting both 1080p and 4K via HDMI. I just bought this from Amazon for the sole purpose of testing an up-scaling 4K Blu-ray player with a 4K capable TV.

I tested each of the above components on my previous TV, which is a "LG Cinema Screen 55LM7600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz LED-LCD HDTV", -AND- this TV, the "Samsung UN55F9000 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV". My LG TV currently retails for about $1500, but when I acquired it, it was a $2200 TV. I had both TV's, old and new, right next to each other on separate stands. Same Height, same size, same component inputs, etc.

Test #1 - U-verse everyday TV watching. This should be similar in quality to other cable and satellite providers. They may even have higher resolution, so your results could be even better. We watched more than 15 hours of various programming from our U-verse DVR, which is set to 1080i. The difference between this Samsung TV and our old LG TV was very noticeable. We watched animated content, sports, news, etc. In each case this TV always looked better than our old one, and it was unanimous across all 5 family members. We would play content from the DVR on the new TV, and then replay it 10 seconds later on the old one or vice versa. We even paused programs on one TV, and then switched over to view the paused program on other one. Again, this TV is superior in every case. Text is razor sharp and crystal clear. We couldn't find any motion blur at all, no matter how hard we tried. A golf ball in midflight on our old LG TV would actually have a second ball shadow in midair, and on this TV there was none. It's crystal clear. I dialed my U-verse receiver back to the default 720p, and it had a minor negative impact, most noticeable in fine details like text, grass, fabric, etc.

Test #2 - Regular 1080p Blu-ray output from a regular Blu-ray player. The Samsung UN55F9000 was superior in both regular non-Blu-ray DVD playback -AND- Blu-ray 1080p playback. I used animated content and nature content (Planet Earth). The Samsung really excels when a scene is dark and there are numerous subtle shades of black and grey. We used to have to close all of the shades in our media room when watching a dark movie like some of the Harry Potter or LOTR movies. The Samsung TV provides a much more clear and vibrant picture. Its handling of black is Plasma-like in quality. This is a vast improvement. We watched lots of content over and over again on both TV's, and the Samsung was the unanimous favorite.

Test #3 - Wii U (1080P Gaming). The Samsung UN55F9000 didn't significantly improve older Wii games from the 480p resolution days, but it didn't make them worse either. The few actual Wii U games we have that were designed for 1080P were greatly improved in terms of sharpness, color, and sound as well. One thing people forget about is that TV's make sound too. Some TV's make poor sound, and so then you go buy a sound bar or use a home theater system. This TV actually has very good sound. Good enough that I may neglect to hook up the sound bar we were using with our LG TV.

Test #4 - Up-scaling 4K Blu-ray Player. With reports from other reviewers that the TV struggled with blurring when up-scaling content, I thought a useful test would be to see if doing the up-scaling before it entered the TV would make a difference. My experience after comparing the two options is that there is no discernible difference between Up-scaling in the DVD player and sending 4K to the TV, or sending 1080p to the TV and letting it upscale to 4K. Both look really excellent. The TV recognizes Up-scaled content from the DVD player and reports it as such. A quick side-note on 3D, since this Blu-ray player is 3D capable. The 3D glasses that come with the Samsung UN55F9000 TV (model SSG-5100GB) are active, meaning they have a battery. They are very comfortable to wear. The TV comes with 4 of them, but extras are only $18 on Amazon. I already ordered another one since we are a family of 5. 3D performance is really excellent. The combination of the higher resolution and active 3D is a significant improvement over our other LG set. Historically we never really bought or rented much 3D content since we felt we had to sacrifice clarity for the 3D experience. That's not the case with this TV. You can have both 3D and clear at the same time. We will definitely rethink how we rent and buy movies going forward. Some of the newer DVD packs come with 3D, Blu-ray, and regular DVD media all in one, which is appealing.

So after all of this testing, I asked myself "Is the Samsung UN55F9000 really this good, or did my LG TV just suck?" To get a better idea of this, I took a field trip to Fry's Electronics to see a whole bunch of TV's up close. What I found was that the 4K UHD TV sets by both Samsung and Sony are superior to all of the regular 1080p TVs. It becomes really apparent when you are able to see the same content, at the same time, right next to each other. UHD TVs have much better resolution, better grey/black handling, and better fine grain detail. It's noticeable. Is it life changing? Probably not, but you can't say it's not a better picture, because it is. I found an LG TV similar to my old one, and I'm happy to say that it didn't suck. It wasn't quite as good as the Samsungs and Sonys, but it held its own with pretty much everything else on display. The 65" version of this Samsung 4K UHD TV that was on display had the best picture of every TV there. Even better than the UHD Sony. So don't be afraid that because your current TV is awesome, this one can't be better, because it is. (most likely) One additional note...if you are considering a very large LED panel for a home theater (70" and above), go see them first. They don't look very good in 1080p. Having 4K UHD will really help the large LED panels have the resolution they need for their large size.

So what are you paying for when you buy a TV like this?
1) A premium because you are an early adopter of new technology. At the time of this writing, the premium you are paying is about $500 vs. the 8000 series Samsung sets, which are comparable minus the UHD 4K aspect.
2) You are paying for and getting a better picture
3) You are paying for investment protection. 4K DVD players are coming out. The new XBOX One can output 4K. 4K movies are downloadable in some cases. It's just a matter of time before Blu-ray disks start showing up in 4K format.
4) The Smart TV functions. This TV is super smart, and it's all amazingly fast due to a quad-core processor. It is easily as fast as my wife's 1 year old laptop at web surfing, navigation, etc. My LG TV was a dog at this kind of thing.
5) Form. This is a truly beautiful piece of technology. It's sleek, almost minimalist in its looks.
6) This TV has a camera on top of it. Whaaaaaat? You can sit a family of 5 on the couch and do a Skype session with someone, and they will see your whole family sitting there, just as clear as day. Pretty awesome. No more gathering around the laptop and saying hi one at a time.

To sum it up, if you think you might be in the market for a TV like this, go check them out for yourself. The difference is pretty easy to see in a store. Stores have a way of making TVs look their absolute best, and so you wonder what it will look like when you get it home. That's why I tested all of these combinations of components...to hopefully give you a feel for that. Anyway, GREAT TV, couldn't be happier.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 4k Upscaler With Plasma-Like Black Levels, November 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This particular TV is the flagship 4k TV from Samsung. No longer do you use `HD' tv, rather UHD--ultra high definition. Below this review, I explain in more detail about the 4k label--should you not know about it already and what it is. So not to clog up with digressions, I will start first with the review.

**4k TV and 4k Blu-ray Players**

You will not need a 4k blu-ray player to display blu-ray movies at 4k on this TV because the TV automatically upscales them for you. You will however need a 4k capable blu-ray player if you want to display a native 4k sourced blu-ray disc in its true 4k sourced form without upscaling. Moreover, the 'mastered in 4k' blu-rays out right now can still play on normal blu-ray players however they will not be 'outputting' the 4k and will still be 'upscaled' by the TV instead of getting the true source of the 'mastered' quality.

Basically, the TV will do all of the upscaling for you in 4k on any source however when you want to get into true 4k sourced material, the device will have to be able to output the material in 4k which means your player will have to be 4k capable as well as your video game console (Xbox one does this, not sure about the Playstation 4), and your cable source.

****

What you are wanting to know is, should you pay the flagship price for a flagship TV?

Let's get started.

Firstly, the overall main reason why you are paying this price for the TV is for the 4k capability. There are also features within this Samsung TV that you will certainly not find in most TVs out there because they are luxury features. These are to be your reasons for buying this TV.

**Some others have mentioned 'faults' with the UN55F9000. Here are my experiences with them**

1. Viewing Angle not good.
- No, the viewing angle on this TV is not good, it is almost perfect. Did not observe any real noticeable wash out when getting almost to a 180 degree angle from the side and from the top. This rivals and mimics my current Samsung Plasma's viewing angle. The viewing angle is superb with minor washout at extreme points. When I say minor, I mean extremely minor so that if there is any washout you are almost to the point of a flat pane.

2. Motion Blur
- When the Picture setting `Auto Motion Control' is set to off (set to Standard by default) sometimes there can be blur in media for it is more than likely operating at 60hz. However, there are multiple settings to use for the motion control that, after selecting it, reduced any blur to nothing without any `soap opera' effect. My preference was the `clear' option--which was a perfect medium between too little and too much. This option worked well in both movies and games. When you get to the options past clear (there are about 4-5 different settings), there were apparent the beginnings of the soap opera effect in environmental, establishing shots though it did not transition much into the actors and their movements as much. Regardless, know you can adjust accordingly and each option performs quite well.

3. The `one connect' box is bulky and conspicuous.
- There are no inputs on the back of the TV; it is routed to a separate box that holds them e.g. HDMI, Digital Optical etc. This box should be a new standard on all TVs. Normally, when connecting devices to your TV there will be wires--not much to do to change that. With the one connect box, it reduces all wires from your TV to one--which you would have had anyway. Its look is a fairly wide, but minimal presentation--looking like a modern device `sensor' that you could place on top of, say, your blu-ray player or cable box which it would then blend in perfectly. A benefit of the one connect is that you do not have to ever touch your TV anymore. Where you put the box is where you can change out cables and do that sort of `adjusting'. It reduces clutter, and makes easy the organization of your `devices'. I love this feature for I would always have to pull out the TV and wiggle out the HDMI cables if I was changing something out and worried about wiggling to much as to put unnecessary weight on the mount. With the one connect, this problem is eliminated.

[---Quality---] 9.3/10

Comparing subjectively to many TVs I have experienced--through high end plasmas and LEDs--the quality of the picture is very high and one of the best I have seen. Because this TV upscales to 4k, the picture should be at least more precise and clear than most because all TVs that have the best picture are either 1080p or are a variety of the '4k' upscalers. However, when buying this TV at this price you are wanting a top quality performer. To spoil the fun, it will be top quality and one of the best screens you will see. The real question is if it is better than the best available. I would not go that far, though it comes close.

Out of the box, with minor calibration, on the `movie' picture mode, the colors are organically accurate with a slight hint of warm tones (which can be toned down). Skin tones are slightly more darker however other colors are extremely precise (green for grass, grayish-steel blue for water running over rocks etc). The difference between two great TV pictures, when the resolution is the same, is how the colors are portrayed as they give the 'life-like' quality. The UN55F9000 is extremely impressive in its color output and accurate contrast.

Color Accuracy - 9.3/10

Black Levels - 9.4/10

Outstanding black levels? On an LED? Yes. It should be important to mention black levels are inky black. They rival and beat the mid to high end plasmas I have had experience with. In a few of the darkest scenes there were slight losses of detail however in the majority of cases the TV output very thick, reflective blacks that indeed preserved detail. In a word, they are extremely cinematic. The UN55F9000 has the blackest blacks I have ever seen on a TV. It feels good to finally have an LED that you can compare to a Plasma. The latter are my favorite TVs though it is making it hard to stay with that same sentiment when I see what an LED is capable of.

Contrast - 9.2/10

**Although I mention that the TV has one of the better pictures I have experienced, which it does, know that it compares very very closely, even after upscaling, to a TV I own that is a couple thousand lower in price than this TV. Although the black levels and color accuracy are not close to being the same as the UN55F9000, know that you are not going to be `amazed' at the picture on this TV if coming from a mid to high grade HD TV when viewing from normal distances. In the case of picture quality-to-price ratio, the UN55F9000 is not a good investment for the simple reason that you can get similar qualities with high-end 1080p LED TVs. That statement is put out there for you, the buyer, so that you know when you buy this TV you will be doing so at the expense of its 4k capabilities**

[---Upscaling---]

**Uploaded a picture comparison of a face shot from the movie 'Inception' as it compares to my other 55" LG LED TV (Samsung on left, LG on right). Picture was taken with same camera, same lighting, same scene. More detail is certainly apparent in the Samsung. This is a result of the 4k upscaling. If one thing can be said about the upscaling is that you will notice details in movies you did not know where there.**

Although I usually give ratings for those qualities that have a 'rateability', it would be difficult to justify a rating for the 4k upscaling--which this TV does for every input source. Simply put, the picture on this TV looked better on every source when comparing to my current LG LED TV of the same size (55"). The latter coming mainly from the color gamut. I will say that in general, from beyond 5 feet you could really not tell a difference in the quality between the two TVs as a resolution or clarity topic.

The difference in quality from beyond 5 feet was in the color accuracy. However, when looking closely (which you will not be doing more than likely) the quality was better on the UN55F9000. There were non-existent jagged edges where my LG LED had some, there were `wrinkles' and detail within a human face that absolutely were not shown in my LG (see the uploaded picture I mentioned above). More on this point, the faces on my LG TV had its details `smoothed' out where it looked like smudging together of pixels however on the Samsung, the details were accurately displayed and detail was extremely clear. The black levels on the face--for instance on a beard--allowed the darkness of the hairs along with the `pits' of the face to show through. Whether or not you can tell that difference from several feet, you should know that you are seeing a more detailed picture.

The quality of the upscale can be explained very well by the following: The Samsung's 4k upscaling quality feels exactly the same as when you watch your DVDs upscaled on your HD TV. There is more detail, less pixilation, and slightly more sharpness. The most `stunning' upscaling quality was when playing video games--old tech (Xbox 360) looked accurate, clear, and detailed.

[---Video Games---] 9.6/10

When playing fast paced first person shooter games, there was no noticeable lag, ghosting, or tearing. Very crisp. Th 4k upscaling made the xbox 360 look a new-gen system or a high-end gaming computer with UHD monitors. Very impressed with this aspect.

[---4k and This TV---] **Important Read**

The 4k portion is explained more later in the review and is wholly optional to read. You should know about this TV that the 4k resolution is there however there are limitations as of present.

Presently, you are limited by media available--for which there is almost no true 4k native TV channels or discs. Native 4k compares to native 1080p as much different (more so on bigger screens) and will immediately become apparent when you see it. You will not, however, be getting that type of 'native' format until more media is released.

The important part to think about is for the future, otherwise there would be no solid answer as to why you are purchasing this TV other than just to have the newest technology available. The future meaning that you eventually want to use this TV to output true 4k resolution. This is a 4k TV and needs much more bandwidth to display true 4k content. As the TV stands now, it only supports 1.4 HDMI cables.

Currently, HDMI 1.4 does not have the current bandwidth to transfer native 4k material at frames per seconds greater than 24 or 30(anything other than movies). Video games and TV broadcasts are usually greater than 30 fps so that you would not be able to stream them truly with HDMI 1.4. It also can only display 8-bit color, not 10 or 12-bit like true 4k.

For the future of 4k, the likelihood is going to be that you will need to use HDMI 2.0, which this TV does not support. The TV will display 4k material because the resolution is there as it upscales it however it will not be able to receive input with the current HDMI ports on native 4k material from sources other than movies (unless the video game/tv channel output at less than 30 fps). Samsung, among most 4k TV manufacturers, is supposedly offering to either 'update the firmware' or for you to simply change out the one connect box. For the sake of pockets, hopefully it is the former. When the TV gets updated to HDMI 2.0, you can still use the same cables you are using now as they will transfer at HDMI 2.0 speeds--the TV just needs to support it e.g. SATA II --> SATA III in computers.

[---The Luxuries, or, the `Gimmicks'---]

This Samsung TV comes with many additional features that you will not find on almost any TV. They are simply the luxuries of buying a top-of-the-line TV much the same as when you buy a very expensive car e.g. Smart Cruise Control slow-down (when approaching a car on cruise control, the car will slow down automatically at a safe distance from the car in front of you without have to brake) on Mercedes Benz vehicles. As with any of these in any company, they are sometimes useful and sometimes gimmicky.

~*~Useful Luxuries~*~:

1. Touchpad Remote. You can flip through menus (there are a lot) and apps like you were holding your smart phone in one hand. The touchpad is like a mini `touch screen' for your TV. Not as fluid as an iPhone though it works very well.

2. As mentioned above the `one connect' box. See above for more information on this.

~*~ Gray Area ~*~:

1. Voice Control. Much like `Hi Galaxy' and `Siri' you can control minor functions on this TV by voice. It picks up your voice well however it is not as quick as using the remote. First you que the TV by saying `Hi TV' (about a 3 second delay after this) and then state a function (takes about another 3 seconds to perform it). About 6 seconds (if you know the command you are wanting to say) and you have the action completed. For instance, when I was putting up the blu-ray from the movie I just watched I had a `conversation' with the TV where I told it to power off.
This feature is useful for accomplishing tasks on the TV while your hands are doing other things, or if you have settled in your seat and want to `lay back' and tell the TV to so something e.g. Telling it to change `sources' to HDMI 2 while you are getting your drink/food for a movie or TV show.

~*~Gimmicky~*~:

1. The motion control e.g. Xbox Kinect, the Wii etc. You first put your hand up so the TV recognizes that you want to `hand control' some functions (you basically just raise your hand...and embrace the nostalgia of asking a question in elementary school). You then can maneuver your hand around and `grab' menus by closing your fish and swiping to the next page by swiping your hand. It works but is delayed so that it is laggy, slow, and sometimes does not read your gestures. Not useful until it is perfected.

[---Specifications Not Listed---]

The 'One Connect'Box has the following inputs:

2 x USB Side Ports : 1 at HDD 5V 1A and 1 at 5V .5A
1 x EX-Link
1 x Digital Audio Out (Optical)
1 x LAN
4 x HDMI In (not HDMI 2.0 compatible -- **See 'Important Mentions Above'**
1 x AV IN (Companent Audio In)
1 x AV IN
1 x Component In (Note that this is not the 5 input component rather a single input)
1 x ANT IN AIR/CABLE
1 x Audio Out
1 x IR Out

Comes with:

2 x remotes (1 regular, 1 touchpad)
2 x 3D Glasses

Weight: around 50 lbs. Was able to use my existing, inexpensive, articulating low-profile wall mount here: VideoSecu Long Arm TV Wall Mount Low Profile Full Motion Cantilever Swing & Tilt wall bracket for most 22" to 55" LED LCD TV VESA 200x200 400x400 up to 600x400mm Extend 24" MAH which I have used on multiple TVs. It is very movable and easy to install.

[---Digression---]

What is a 4k TV?

This TV is a `4K' TV meaning that you will be getting a TV that displays 3840 x 2160. However, there will be the problem currently of no media (there are some but for the most part, because almost all consumers cannot access it, we can assume there is *no* media) being natively 4k resolution. What this means in terms of this TV is that this is an upscaler built into a TV that can display the resolution. As much as I do not like analogies, I will give one here because it fits so well and does great at explaining what really 4k TVs, as of now, are.

When you use a DVD in an upscaling player--either a DVD player or Blu-ray player--and have it on a 1080p tv, which is 1980x1020, that is what happening on this 4k tv. The materials being fed to it are, more than likely, limited to 1080p resolution--its upper bound. The hardware and software within the TV `blow up' your 1080p material to display on a screen with much more pixels. However, 1080p has a certain amount of pixels and is less than what is possible with the 4k resolution. They do not simply `take the place' of, or reproduce, the new pixels; it cannot be done. What does happen is the TV `guesses' at what the overlap in pixels would look like as it relates to the source from the 1080p material. This means that you be getting the computer's projection of what it thinks your blu-ray movie, or videos, would look like if it were in 4k resolution.

As with any projection, it is usually inaccurate although it will be close enough so that it will likely `improve' your material but will not be true 4k material (which is stunningly clear). These inaccuracies can take the form of missing data, where the TV will make up for it by `blurring' the line between real material and `estimated'. This can sometimes turn into a more blurry image. The TVs, however, go a little further in their advanced algorithms by sharpening those blurry parts so that you have the final result, and what you will see from this TV, which is: a more `sharp' looking picture but will appear to have more detail than 1080p. After comparing the two, the upscaling definitely outputs a better picture however if you are looking very closely on the screen you will see more grain than with the original 1080p source material.

[---End Digression---]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently, the 55" 4k TV is for those who are wanting to be an early adopter of a technology that will gradually become mainstream. For this you will be getting rewarded with a quality TV with many features that noone else will possess. The picture is outstanding, color is life-like accurate, profile is thin and small, and the overall TV look is sleek.However, these qualities are that which you could also find from a very good 1080p TV. Know the transition, as it stands now, will not be as jarring as was going from standard definition to 1080p.

For those price-conscious buyers who are wanting the money being spent on this to equal, proportionally, the difference being received in the form of a better quality picture as compared to an 1080p TV, it will not be there. However, with those with the extra money to spend know this *will* be an upgrade from most current 1080p TV however at the 55" size the differences will be very, very small to notice when watching from marginal distances.

The price warrants what you receive as this is one of the best 4k TVs available and the price is comparable to other manufacturers. The fact that it is very similar in output quality to current high end 1080p TVs is not a knock for Samsung or 4k TVs, it is simply just the limitation of the technology available right now. The current price for this TV does not necessarily warrant a purchase over a comparable 1080p TV for just picture quality. When native 4k sources become more populated, the value will rise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly amazing get it while you can, April 22, 2014
FALCON (Lakeland Fl) - See all my reviews
I am not affiliated with Samsung or CNET. Samsung should give free 2014 One connect boxes to purchasers of this TV because of HDMI 2.0 and the lack of the H265 codec.

I have had this TV for a month now, and I love it. I cannot believe how gorgeous the picture is. It's colors explode, it's blacks are black, it's whites are white, flesh tones are real, and all of it is supersharp. With newscasts or interviews, people look like they're sitting right in front of you. Aerial shots of cities will blow you away. You cannot ask for a better picture. And that's not just my opinion, read all of the professional reviewers. Every single one of them love this TV.

Do not worry about 4K content not being available. This TV upscales. The upscaling works fantastic with anything in HD (1080 P). It also works with SD material but not as well. I can honestly tell you that I do not want a sharper picture than this. You can see every facial feature including eyelashes. 4K YouTube's are amazing.

Any person giving this TV anything less than five stars reveals their own stupidity. You have to set it up, and if you are a newbie with electronics you have three options. 1. Learn how to set it up and enjoy it (I will help you in this post). 2. If you're too lazy, don't buy a piece of high-quality electronic equipment like this. You don't deserve it. 3. Pay someone to calibrate it for you. Actually that's a waste of money because in 20 minutes you can do it yourself. You can make this TV look anyway you want it to look.

How to fix the picture and get rid of motion blur.
Out of the box the picture looks terrible, that's Samsung's fault, although most manufacturers do the same thing. When I first turned on this TV it looked like a soap opera or documentary. Disappointed, and I said oh no, this can't be right. The first thing you have to do is go to the System menu and find the Eco-Solution Submenu and turn OFF the accursed eco-saving feature and eco-sensor. Then I remembered the review I read on CNET. They have some people there that are among the best in the industry. Some guy named Katzmaier uses $30,000 worth of equipment to calibrate these TVs. Don't know if I can post links here, so search for CNET's HDTV picture settings forum forUN65f9000.

However, there's one problem with their settings. They calibrate their TVs in a dark room. Therefore their brightness levels are too low. They acknowledge this, but it is a necessary starting point. No problem, use Samsung's default settings for your Backlight, under the Movie setting, which is 12. It worked great with gamma at +1. The first thing you want to do is set it to movie mode. Play with other modes later.

---------------------

The settings I'm about to list are based on Katzmaier's with some tweaks of my own. If you set your TV to these, you will love the picture. If not, tweak it for yourself somewhere between his settings and the defaults. It is very easy, so don't freak out. If you can turn your volume control up and down you can change your settings.

Picture menu - I use all Samsung's default for movie mode with a slight color tweak
mode: Movie - the most important change.
backlight: 12 - CNET's setting of 7 Is way too low. This is the main brightness control
contrast: 95 -
brightness: 45 - leave this alone
sharpness: 20 - CNET setting of 0 Is Way too low, especially for a 4K TV
color: 52 - a slight tweak over 50 that will give you more of a plasma TV quality
tint: 50/50 - leave this alone

I discovered the real trick for getting the correct lighting level for your room is to work with gamma and backlight, not brightness. Samsung's default is 45 for all modes, and it's right.

Advanced settings submenu
dynamic contrast: off
flesh tone: zero
RGB only mode: off
color space: custom - there is a submenu for this below.
White balance: see below.
10 P white balance: - you don't need to mess with this.
Gamma: +1 this is an important setting and affects the entire picture, not just contrast.
Expert pattern: off
motion lighting: off
black enhancer: off

Color Space Submenu
I recommend keeping everything at default rather than using the ones from CNET. However I do not like the cold picture of LEDs as compared to plasma or my old Pioneer elite 98 which had the best picture ever in its day and even for today except for sharpness. Therefore I change the blue setting to this
blue: red 2, green 2, blue 46. Not drastic changes over 0, 0, 50 but it's warmer.
And change the yellow setting to have less blue than the CNET setting
yellow: red 50, green 50, blue 6 (Katzmaier had 14)

White Balance - use all of the CNET settings: 25, 24, 22, 23, 24, 26

Picture Option Submenu -
color tone: warm 2 - important, this also gets rid of the cold blue LED effect
digital clean view: off
MPEG noise filter: off
film mode: auto one
auto motion plus: custom. Make sure you change it to custom.
Smart LED: high

Auto Motion Plus Submenu. Numerous sources recommend these to solve Motion Blur.
blur reduction: 10
judder reduction: 0 yes, zero
LED clear motion: - not much visible difference either way. Leave it on if you increased backlight to the default.

System Menu. As already mentioned go to the eco-solution submenu and shut off energy-saving and eco-sensors. They will knock your picture into dismal oblivion at will.

---------------------------
Complaint Section
1. Samsung - Stop defeating your own purpose with the horrible original settings

2. People do not want the ridiculous hand controls that only work half the time at best, or the worthless voice controls the get activated by the TV program you're watching. Thanks for the great picture and quality product though, stick with what matters.

3. Your privacy policy stinks. I want to be able to mirror my TV to my tablet and cell phone without doing your lousy Samsung All Share that makes me agree to privacy policies that promise you have NO privacy, and sit a Samsung representative in your living room every time you watch TV.

In all fairness to Samsung, you can use the app Smart View with this TV and it lets you (wirelessly) have the TV screen on your device and you can use screen mirroring to have your device mirror to the TV; both without registering, so its all good.

Why you should get this TV
1. Best picture of any TV on the market. It really is beautiful.

2. It is future proof. Because it is 4K, the screen is capable of outstanding resolution for a long time to come. There's another great benefit - the One-connect box. It houses the CPU, memory, mainboard, firmware, and smart TV software. This is better than the evolution kit on models lower than 9000, including the new HU 8550. Why? Because the connectors are also replaceable, and heat is kept separate from the screen. If you know anything at all about computers or electronics, you know that the CPU, memory, and motherboard generate the most heat. The one connect box separates from the unit itself. That One-connect box is a genius idea that Samsung should employ for all of its TVs, and so should every other manufacturer of high-end TVs.

3. It really looks elegant, especially with the arch base.

What about the new 2014 8550?
Get the F 9000 before they sell out. The picture, CPU, memory, everything will be the same as the F 9000 which is only six months older. However, It has an evolution kit instead of the one connect box, which is a disadvantage. To get it, you have to get the 9000 model which costs more money, and has a useless curvature feature. The base is nowhere near as stable as the arch base on the F 9000.
Note: Amazon does not clearly list this, in fact they use the term One-connect in the description which is wrong. They need to change that

According to my studies, the 2014 8550 has no advantage over the F 9000 except the codec H265. Yes, it has HDMI 2.0, but IF that FPS difference becomes a useful, relevant factor in the future, I will buy a new One -connect box. It's smart hub software is slightly different, but who cares? It can show four screens on the TV, but so what, these are not different channels, they are different inputs. I didn't buy a 65 inch screen to watch it one quarter size! This might account for .05% of someone's viewing time. Not sure if it has the same pop-up camera.
The codec will not really be that relevant until 2015 or later. Sure Netflix is going to have ONE 4K program in 2014, but if you do your research (read the comments to this post) they will not really be sending you true 4K because the bandwidth is too high.

On the other hand, if you're just talking picture, you've got the same absolutely fantastic picture on a quality set by a primo manufacturer, so you won't go wrong with it, and you will love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, some minor "feature" issues but overall crisp picture, easy to install and some cool "gimmick" features, November 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

The TV is a 55" LED 3d 4K tv. Some of the reviews for this TV so far claim it isn't that good. While this is my first entry into 4K and 3D tv's I am really happy with it. I believe some of the people that are complaining about the fuzzy picture may actually have it in 3D mode, in which case it WILL be really blurry. I did not have any issues with motion blur as others reported, but I can confirm in the menus of the TV there are numerous video settings to adjust the smooth, frame, etc of the video. If you need it you should be able to adjust it. For me watching HDTV, a 3D movie and also some ice hockey everything looked perfect with no adjustments needed.

Now for the details you want to know about.

The install was really easy. To get it out of the box you remove the 4 black plastic tabs by squeezing, the top of the box slides right off and you can then remove the foam packing around the TV. I lifted the TV out and leaned it against my couch, then took the metal stand which is just a curved piece of metal and the 2 legs and attached them, they went on really easily using 2 screws to attach each of the 2 legs (4 screw total) and then 2 additional screw to attach each leg to the curved metal base (4 more screws total). Once you have the stand assembled it is time to put in in place. Install was quick and took less then 5 minutes.

For me I placed it on top of my entertainment center stand and it fit perfectly. The TV is really thin, except the stand takes up a bit of space to keep it stable, One way they made the TV thin is by not having any connections on it, sort of weird I know. What Samsung did is provided an external hub where you connect your HDMI cables from your other devices and then plug that hub into the tv using a proprietary connection cable that is provided. I HATE that they have this special cable, but at the same time it really keeps cord management easy as you can have this hub hidden away. For me the hub is on the media center stand and it slides perfectly beneath the TV and the stand.

I never used this style TV before and wasn't sure how to hook it up, fortunately the TV was smarter then I was. I plugged the TV in and it detected I didn't have the "one" media hub cable connected and told me to plug that in, I did and the TV continued into the boot process. It walked me through the basic setup asking me to pair the remote and then taking me through my cable provider, zip code, etc. In total it took 5 minutes to set the TV up.

Once the TV is up and running it's really slick, my wife and I put it through it's first pace watching a 3D blu-ray, the Hobbit. Neither of us have ever used 3D tv's before so we took the glasses out and put them together, got them paired easily to the TV by holding the power button on each pair for 3 seconds and they synced right up.The picture was clear and really cool (once again my first in home 3d experience.) I do like that in the app store (see below in the review) there is an "Explore 3D" app that allows you to watch some footage shot in 3D including several sports, movie trailers, etc.

-Note around the 3D glasses. The directions are not that clear how to sync them to your TV. Basically all you need to do is turn on the 3D setting on the TV, then hold the glasses less then 2 feet from the TV and push and hold the power button on each pair of glasses you want to use until the light starts blinking on the glasses, you should then see "glasses connected" appear on your TV screen. Once the glasses are synced you can then move to your sitting position which they say should be between 6.5 feet and 19.5 feet away from the TV.

I then went back to my TiVo/HD setup and I like that the tv remembers the 3d/2d settings by input. When I'm on HD TV it knows that's 2d, I switch to my 3D player it remembers that was on 3D and turns that back on so I don't have to think about that setting. I like that.

I then started playing with the motion settings. The "Speech" I didn't like, at least not from the TV microphone. I was sitting on my couch and the TV couldn't hear me. But when using the microphone on the included remote it understands me perfectly. The one thing I HATE about voice rec on this thing is the talk back voice. On my android phone I can download hi-def voices, this TV has a very robotic annoying voice. For a TV of this caliber I would have expected a smoother more real voice then what they deliver. I'm sure this can be fixed via a software update but right now that is disappointing.

--UPDATE on the voice control, I knocked another star off of this tv after using the TV for 3 days. The reason for that is my wife and I would be watching TV, no one saying anything except the audio from the TV and suddenly voice activation would turn on, the sound on the TV would mute and I would have to find the remote to turn it off. At this point I have fully disabled the voice control as it was causing more problems then it was solving. I'm not sure what triggered it but it was annoying to the point that "feature" is now turned off for me.

The other "gimmick" is motion control. I'm a guy and I love that all I have to do is hold my arm (left OR right) up and it pops up a cursor on the screen and I can raise/lower the volume, change the channel, move through the menus and smart apps all without touching the remote. Now, that being said I found it got a little out of calibration. What do I mean? Well I was moving my arm around and at one point I could no longer reach the top of the menu with my motion control, my arm would only go 3/4 of the way up the screen. I had to put my arm down to turn off motion, then try again to get it to work right, not a big deal but when it works it's phenomenal. I will add, I wasn't keen on the fact there is a webcam staring at me all the time. I know hackers and things can access that camera and I love that Samsung built in the ability to push the camera which "turns it off" by rotating it upwards into the case of the TV. When you want to use motion control you can pop it back out easily. It's a little feature but I like the safety measure they put on it.

When it comes to apps, there are a lot of apps available. Mind you this isn't the Google App store, it's Samsungs but they have many of the same apps. The one big one for me is Plex as I have a media server that I run and it was able to connect with no issues after installing the plex app and pairing it using the on screen pin that popped up.

I did try to use the "screen mirroring" ability from my Samsung GS4 to this TV and at first it didn't work, but I found that you actually have to go to the "screen mirroring" input on the TV to activate it, once you do you'll see it appear on your phone. I think it should appear without having to switch the input like MHL type HDMI devices (and chromecast.). It works very well once you manually activate it.

Now, when it comes to sound, I'm not a big fan of the built in speaker. It's good but not great. I have a Bose system and I had to use the included adapter cable to connect that but once I did, no issues at all.

I'm going to keep using this TV and playing with it but so far it is a super crisp picture and it has a very small bezel and overall size is thin and small which is incredible given the 55" display. This 55" TV is much lighter then my 4 year old 40" samsung and has a lot more features although they don't all work perfect.

So would I recommend this TV?

It's hard to say yes. With little to no 4K content available today you can't really benefit from that. While 3D is really done well on this TV it isn't something I am going to use often. For me it is a TV, I don't use all the fancy features on it so I can't say that it is worth the several thousand dollar price tag. I have a VIZIO E601i-A3 60-inch 1080p 120Hz Razor LED Smart HDTV that I bought for 1/3 the cost and for the picture quality it is on par for basic viewing and a lot cheaper, it also has "smart" features built in, just not as many. I also have an LG Electronics 42LN5700 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and it has smart features integrated better then this samsung TV.

In the end, if you want all the bells and whistles then this is a good TV. If you use a Tivo, chromecast, google Tv, apple tv, etc then you already have all the "smart" features that you could need minus voice and motion control which aren't all that perfect as mentioned above.

1.0 out of 5 stars After three months, the TV won't come on., March 11, 2014
For the first three months, things were glorious. We loved this television. Beautiful picture, so thin, etc. That being said, if you are interested in the gesture recognition or voice recognition, know that they don't work all that well and really should not be considered as a selling point. You will get frustrated and end up needing to use the remote.

A week ago it wouldn't come on so we unplugged it for 30 seconds and it came on.

It has happened four more times and we had to leave it unplugged longer and longer.

Now, it won't come on at all.

I have a 10 year old Samsung DLP that has been flawless (except for needing a new bulb which was expected.

Hopefully this will have a happy ending, but for now, three month old $3000.00 TV is broken? I'm worried this may be endemic but I can't find any more information about this model not coming on online.

Update 03/19/14
Samsung's Executive Customer Relations are terrible at customer service. I have now been without the TV for a week and it could be up to 14 business days PLUS another 3 - 5 business days (that translates to a month) before they decide to replace or refund. They'd rather wait and see if the part comes in during that time and risk losing a customer, than replace the TV.

The part needed is on back order with no ETA. Samsung's third party TV repair shop in my area indicated there are four other customers waiting on the same board!!! My advice would be to wait for the newer model or avoid Samsung altogether. Their TVs are great when they work but God help you if something goes wrong. There is no one in Executive Customer Relations that actually help you and their supervisors are there for administrative purposes only. There is no escalation path for product complaints. You will be at their mercy.

Update 03/21/14
Samsung Executive Customer Relations has now closed two requests for refunds or exchange with no reason provided as to why. They have gone ahead and opened and expedited a third with the same promise that I'd be contacted within 1 to 2 business days. They did indicate I am still within the 24 to 27 day period in which Samsung really doesn't have to honor an early refund or exchange request. Basically it seems Executive Customer Relations opens these requests to mollify the customers and will force them to wait the full 24 to 27 days in the hope the part finally comes in so they don't have to refund or exchange.

It is my opinion, based on the number of units in my repair area needing the same part and the part being unavailable with no ETA, there is a design flaw Samsung hasn't been able to fix. They are on the 5th revision of the power supply board. That Samsung is dragging their heels and forcing people to just wait and wait and wait is unconscionable.

And yes, I am way beyond frustrated.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great LED TV but poor presets..need to adjust properly to remove motion blur and artifacts, December 7, 2013
G. Gaillard (West Point, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I have a panasonic plasma TV that is rated one of the best in picture quality. I bought this for the second TV room, knowing 4k would be more available in a couple years, and this tv with upgradeable external input should not have a problem with obsolescence. And knowing that plasma TV's are likely not going to 4k, in fact panasonic is phasing out plasma. When i first bought this Samsung F9000, after trying the 4 picture presets "dynamic, movie, standard, natural", I was ready to rate this TV 1 star and return it. The artifacting and motion blur were horrible compared to my panasonic plasma, I couldnt even watch the Samsung. Then after reading online and experimenting, I realized the presets were terrible. So I certainly understand the 1 star ratings....but you can get rid of the horrible artifacting/motion blur with proper adjusting, to the point the picture was nearly indistinguishable from a panasonic plasma TV.

I put my panasonic plasma TV and Samsung UN55F9000 right next to each other for adjusting.

If you come from an LED TV, you may have less problem with the presets. If you come from a plasma TV like I did, which is devoid of motion blur and artifacts, you will more likely hate the presets.

First you need to decide if you are a "dynamic" view type, ie you like the vivid color and picture on steroids like the stores sell TV's, since it is more eye catching, like some factory set plasma tvs. Or whether you prefer realism, ie like "movie" view, which more mimics reality, but may appear drab or even grey if you are used to dynamic view. Or if you like something in between realism and steroids, like me.

And more importantly, you need to get rid of the soap opera effect, motion blur, and artifacting. The Samsung presets have sharpness (artificial software sharpness) cranked up way too high. Better setting for sharpness is 0 to 5, not the 45 to 50 of presets. Then set the auto motion plus to custom, and set blur reduction to 10, judder to 0, and LED clear motion on. And I have smart LED on high. Some also prefer auto motion plus on clear, though I still see motion blur that way. But playing with auto motion control and sharpness while watching sports, action movies, etc, is a must to get picture how you want it.

If you like movie mode, then CNET review has a great detailed setting for very realistic/true color, etc. Though unfortunately after watching a plasma on more dynamic view for 7 years, it is too drab/grey for me, I prefer a little unrealism ie brighter colors/more vivid picture. I'll reserve realism for looking out a window.

The take home point, if you arent willing to spend a lot of time with adjustments, you may be disappointed, especially if coming from a plasma TV. If you are willing to spend the time, read, and adjust, you can be very happy with this picture, even if you are used to a top of line Panasonic plasma picture. I would rate my Samsung F9000 now 5 stars. But I gave it 4 stars because Samsung had the presets performed by a blind person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung calls this TV Future Proof, but what about NOW?, November 19, 2013
Spinner's End (Knoxville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Samsung calls this TV "Future-Proof." Because of the lack of true 4k source material, one might call this TV present-proof, as well. One would be wrong.

The signal upscaling on this unit takes almost anything you give it, and makes it look incredible. Understanding, as I do, that upscaling is no substitute for providing the intended signal to a device, I was quite concerned that I might have an expensive TV with a terrible picture until more 4K footage is available. My Charter HD channels' pictures look so real, they're almost surreal. Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray 3D, and Charter 3D look perfect. The only 4k footage I have viewed was offered on YouTube, so I have no idea whether it is actually 4K by the time it reaches the TV. Footage "mastered in 4K" but delivered on a Blu-Ray cannot be 4K, as UHD has twice the horizontal and vertical resolution of the 1080p HDTV format, with four times as many pixels overall.

There is very little or no aliasing or motion blur, even with small patterns in the image and fast motion. The only time I have seen any aliasing was when watching a streamed episode of Walking Dead. When actors' walked in front of a chain link fence, there was quite a lot of aliasing around their heads. I attribute that issue to dubious signal strength, as Amazon warns that the HD signal may be reduced to standard definition if it determines that your WiFi can't deliver the goods.

---SET-UP: The set-up of the TV was easy and intuitive. I was able to watch cable TV, watch a Blu-Ray, play Play Station, or go on-line within 30 minutes of the delivery man's departure.

---EXTERNAL HUB: The external hub scared me, at first, because I didn't think I could connect my audio system to it with the cables I had on hand. Samsung included adapter cables which solved that problem! I imagine we will be able to purchase another external hub in the future when cables can support better data transfer for true 4K viewing. For now, it's quite nice to have 4 HDMI ports. I have the hub tucked practically out of sight behind the TV, though the One Cable To Rule Them All (or whatever it's called!) is long enough to be placed elsewhere (~10 ft.).

---3D: The unit really impresses with its 3D capability. Four pairs of comfortable glasses are included. Having the family (age 10 - 53) gathered around ooooh-ing and ahhhhh-ing over 3D movies is reason enough to own this TV.

---VOICE RECOGNITION: Neat trick! The voice command menu sometimes launches unexpectedly, but someone in the room might have said something that sounds like, "Hi, TV!" I have left it activated, for now, but I find that I'd rather use the smart remote.

---MOTION DETECTION: I have tested and disabled this feature. I find that using the smart remote is the easiest way to control the TV.

---REMOTE CONTROL: Oh, the things you can do with a finger swipe! I accidentally discovered that I can fast forward (right), reverse (left), play (up), and go to live shot (down) my cable programming with the smart remote. Another, more standard universal remote is included. A small QWERTY keyboard would have been nice.

A little background: I am a video editor, but I am using this TV exclusively for personal viewing. I have had assorted roles on TV sets and on location (lighting, camera assistant, and audio), as well as in the control room. I am currently working on a degree in Media Technology. Professionals in "the industry" with whom I've talked have mixed feelings about 4K, but agree that it is the next thing.

I will gladly answer any question you have about this TV if you'll leave a comment on the review. I will update this review as I learn more about my new TV.

I hope this helps!

1.0 out of 5 stars 4k huh? new item huh?, February 22, 2014
02/22/2014 this t.v. was purchased on 11/2013 & at the moment we are experiencing internal technical issues. the t.v. takes over 20 minutes to turn on due to what we assume is " internal technical problems" . SO we contacted geek squad and they sent a technician. The technician just left and so far we are not happy with their protocol and how the tech handled the issue. We were expecting two techs due to the tv being big and mounted and only one came. so the technician will be back next week saturday 03/01to install the part that needs to be replaced on the t.v. According to Best Buy Geek Squad the " main control board " needs to be replaced and after three failed attempts to fix the product THEN they seek the option to replace the t.v.. So we contacted SAMSUNG directly. according to samsung their protocol is to send out a technician to examine the t.v. and according to the representative it can take up to THREE OR MORE failed attempts to fix the t.v before they seek the option to replace the t.v. I WILL BE UPDATING THIS REVIEW THROUGH OUT THIS COMPLETE PROCESS

03/14/2014 So after our ticket to samsung was put in incorrectly, which pushed our appointment for a technician to another weekend, the Samsung Tech came on 03/04 to diagnose the television. he determined that the problem is not internal, that the problem is external and the " 1 connect box " needs to be replaced. Well it is now 03/14 i'm highly upset because i am the one contacting samsung for updates and they're not contacting me. it seems that every time that i call them, theres an update. what makes matters worst is that the television hasn't turned back on ever since 02/26. so i'm paying a cable bill and unable to watch television and samsung wont accommodate me. i feel like i've been served the short end of the stick and i am not a satisfied customer. now we are waiting on the " 1 connect box " that had to be ordered by Samsung's 3rd party home service network technician to arrive so that the technician can come out again and replace the defective part...

5.0 out of 5 stars You will love it!, December 27, 2013
My husband and I ran across this TV when shopping for the SAMSUNG Smart TV for 2300 just before black Friday. It was on display at Best Buy and was only 700 dollars more (only considering we are speaking in TV prices). It was a great decision. I am not a technical person or in need of commercial product. When I seen the review saying that consumers didn't need to use it I was disturbed. So I called a friend of mine who is a amateur film director and asked about 4K. He told me without hesitation to understand 3 things. 1) 4K is the new HD and is already being shot for thousands of films. 2) Smart TV's are going to take just as smart phones did 3) None of these (sony or Samsung) will be priced nearly as high one year from now. His suggestion was to wait. I couldn't and got it anyway. I have not watched any 4k films or movies on my TV. I instead have streamed from Netflix, Amazon and watched cable. The non HD channels are painful to watch on the TV. It is worse then your "old" television and you will turn. The HD stations are great! I watched Transformers, Avengers and Thor all in the same day as delivery because I was so impressed. The difference is obvious. You will not need to compare TV's. I have entertained twice since getting the TV and my guests have noticed the TV picture right away. I keep it in the dynamic picture setting. I feel like it was a good buy and I would make the same decision twice.