Samsung UN60H6400 60-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Size Name: 60-InchChange
Price:$1,274.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 25, 2014
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
This review is of the first 24 hours of use on our new UN50H6400.

Setup was fairly easy. Onscreen display guides through the basics of source and internet connections. It did have some issues connecting via WiFi. My wireless router is dual band with both 2.4 and 5GHz bands with the same SSID. I ended up having to rename the 5GHz band SSID in my router before the TV would connect. *Update* 03/30/2014 We ended up connecting the TV via hardwired connection to the network for higher bandwidth streaming 3D playback as the WiFi could not keep up.

Initial picture quality is amazing. This is coming from someone who has been used to watching a smaller and much earlier model of LCD HD TV. The contrast between lights and darks and the details that can be seen in high contrast scenes is something I noticed right off. The 3D demos available on the TV also looked amazing as did a couple I tried from Netflix. The simulated 3D looked surprisingly good as well, testing it on a couple of video sources. I'm not sure I would want to watch most shows this way, but it works better than I would have thought. I have yet to calibrate this TV properly, but will update when I have a chance to delve into the advanced settings more thoroughly.

*Update* 03/30/2014
Had a chance to do a full calibration with a colorimeter. The 10-point white balance worked very well requiring significant adjustments to red and some to blue above 50%, although there was not a significant difference in grays at each step < 50%, while grays above 50% were fairly similar as well. The 2 point calibration would probably get most people close enough. That said, once the 10-point was complete, the white balance looked fantastic at all levels. Color was only slightly off from factory defaults at 100%. Lower % values varied a bit, but I did not mess with trying to adjust these because I believe it would require access to the service menu. Sharpness was best at < 10. Much more introduced significant moire effects in test patterns. When viewing full screen grays, there is visible light falloff in the corners of the TV and there is a kind of stage curtain effect at even points across the top and bottom of the screen. I don't know the technical name for this, but it is like stage lights shining up and down from the bottom and top. This must be due to the way they redirect the edge lighting, and is probably common for most edge lit LED TVs. It is not noticeable during regular viewing. After a full calibration, this TV looks even better than it did initially. No serious complaints from me on picture quality.

The remote has been redesigned from the 2013 models which I had considered buying, but did not like because of the lack of play/pause/FF/RW buttons. Samsung has added these buttons to this model and it works very well. The Wii like feature of pointing and clicking works okay, but sometimes the cursor and the remote get way out of sync and are not pointing at the same spot. I quickly learned that having your finger (or thumb) from the touch pad activates the cursor and removing and retouching the pad resets the cursor. Overall this work fairly well. The cursor does not appear to work in the Apps though. Netflix and Amazon Instant video still requires using the arrow keys to navigate and you must bring up the pop-up on-screen remote to use the keys that are not on the physical remote. This is a mild inconvenience. I would personally have preferred that the remote be larger and include all the buttons.

This TV will primarily be used for streaming video through Netflix, Amazon, etc so these features were of prime concern. As noted above, the remote doesn't seem to work the same in the apps. Otherwise, Netflix and Amazon both played wonderful looking HD video. One item I did notice was that Netflix was much darker than all the other sources and apps and I had to turn up the back-light for just this app. Not sure why this is yet. Once, during an Amazon Prime Video playback the sound cut off for no apparent reason. I tried closing the app and restarting but then realized the sound on the entire TV was out, not just in the app. I had to power off the TV and power it back on to get sound back.

*Update* 03/30/2014
I have also tried Hulu and Vudu apps. Hulu has some issues properly refreshing the list of videos after using the back button. There also seem to be some issues during peak times with playback at 3.2Mb/s quality setting. There were no problems streaming at this setting the other night, but today it keep having to pause to buffer the video. Once the setting was lowered to 2Mb/s there were no more issues. This was not our connection as we were getting 50+Mb/s through several test sites around the U.S. at that time. I suspect this is a bandwidth issue on Hulu's end. Also tried a couple movies on Vudu with no issues. Very nice looking 3D as well.

Other Apps: I only briefly played with other apps, including the web browser. After opening the web browser, the first thing I did was set the search engine to Google from the Bing default. As soon as I entered a search the browser crashed and I had to restart it. I attempted to search again and the entire TV froze and required a power cycle to get it working again. I haven't been back to try the browser again. *Update* 03/30/2014 Browser still has issues. I was able to go to a couple sites today, but it eventually locked up the entire TV and only by unplugging the TV could I get it to do anything. There haven't been any software updates that I have seen yet, but its only been a week.

Summarizing my initial impressions: The picture seems great. Software is buggy. At least software can be fixed with updates. Hopefully Samsung will address these issues. I will try and update this review as I use the TV more.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2014
Size Name: 60-Inch
Thin profile, thin bezel design, unique remote, excellent picture quality. The default picture profiles unfortunately are horrendous. I can't watch any darker screens without turning off all the lights trying to get rid of any glare on the screen. Going from Movie to Standard to Dynamic didn't really help much either until I found a website that publishes video calibration settings. These are what I found for the UN60F6400 (2013 model). It works so much better. I don't need to flip back and forth between settings for night or day time scenes. Good luck!

Picture Mode Movie

Picture Options
Color Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Normal (Low if available)
Film Mode Off

G-Gain 22
B-Gain 21

Screen Adjustment
Picture Size Screen Fit
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 13, 2014
Size Name: 55-Inch
I am a bit of a techno-file and this TV was an upgrade from a 6 year old 46" Samsung LCD. Anytime you purchase a TV these days you roll the dice a bit as far as quality of your particular set. I'm happy to say in my case I have no issue. I don't even have issues I expected I would.

I have...No stuck or dead pixels No flashlighting at all. No clouding, a dark screen is perfectly even. Colors are accurate and vibrant. I disabled the eco-sensor right away since it dimmed the screen far too much.

The menu system is very full featured with just about every setting or feature you can think of easily modified.

Blacks are not perfect but they are far better than most LCD's. I am fairly critical and the black level is perfectly acceptable.
I did notice a very minor case of the Dirty Screen Effect. However 99% of the time it can't be seen at all.

The SMART features are very well implemented. Youtube streams perfectly and apps open up and navigate with reasonable speed. I was able to plug a USB into the TV and watch the HD videos taken with my Sony camcorder as well as other video files with no issue. This is a big convenience.

I must confess I do love 3D,and this sets 3D is amazing! The 3D experience varies by source type. A good 3D Blu-ray is every bit as good as the theater. The first 3D Blu-ray movie I played was Prometheus and it was spectacular! The detail is so razor sharp and yet with good depth and pop. In viewing store demo's I really thought I preferred the passive 3D more than the active but I wouldn't want to lose any of that beautiful detail this set can deliver. Active it is then! The glasses are very light weight and fit over my prescription glasses very comfortably. It's not a feature that I will use very often but when a movie I want to see comes out in 3D, that's what I'm going to watch, It really is as good as the theater.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2014
Size Name: 55-InchVerified Purchase
This is a good TV for a great price. The color and contrast are fantastic. Blacks are very black. The only downside is the back-light appears slightly not uniform on a pure white or pure black screen, and noticeably so on a pure grey screen. All around I am very satisfied with the TV. The 3D is good, the features are good, and it is a pleasing design.

-----Update April 2, 2014----
Picture settings I am currently using

Picture Mode: Movie
Advanced Settings->Flesh Tone:-5
Picture Options->Color Tone: Warm1
Picture Options->Auto Motion Plus: off

Measured width of the TV is 48.75" for the 55" panel
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 5, 2014
Size Name: 50-InchVerified Purchase
I love Samsung TV's and habitually buy them. This model is the first time I have been disappointed.

My previous TV is the H6350 from last year. It was totally fine, I just really wanted to be able to use soundshare functionality with a samsung sound bar I purchased (I bought the samsung sound bar at Costco thinking it was compatible... nope). I was able to use that TV for another purpose and bought the H6400 which is compatible with sound share.

The remote sucks. Right off the bat I find it annoying, and at times it takes longer to do things than the previous models remote. The back button on the remote simply doesn't work... this really sucks when you select something in Netflix and need to go back. Currently when I need to "go back" in Netflix I am hitting the smart TV button to go back to the main menu then opening Netflix, then selecting the other item I was trying to get to. This obviously isn't going to work, I need a replacement remote.

What is worse than the remote? The stand the TV sits on. I have triple checked it; it is correctly attached to the TV. The TV leans backwards about an inch. I also noticed it is a little crooked, about a quarter of an inch higher on the left side. After checking the mount 3 times, screwing and unscrewing, the holes that I screw the mount into appear to have stripped. The holes are way too large for the screws, I was very careful because I noticed this the first time so I hand screwed the stand to the mount very carefully. The build quality of the stand is terrible.

But wait, there is more... I use the Comcast DVR and noticed something bizarre. When watching live TV it is fine. When I play back content on the DVR, the TV will start the screensaver every 5-10 minutes even with it disabled in the menu. I exhausted the menu looking for something that would explain this. I exhausted searching on the internet for a solution as well.

So with all those things, I don't want to work this out with Samsung. Total waste of time.

Update: I had a change of heart and contacted Samsung support in the hopes they can help me out so I wouldn't have to send the TV back. Something odd... the TV model is not an option on their support site TV model drop down. Will update review with the outcome.

Update 2: I was reminded of this review from dragonphan's reply. Thank you for the reply so I can give an update. My experience has gotten far better; I changed my review to 4 our of 5 stars. Samsung support offered me a new TV stand the replace the current one, which still suffers from the quality problems but is an easy thing to replace. The remote control was fixed after repairing it with the TV per Samsung Supports recommendation. The comcast DVR issue randomly went away... maybe an update went out to fix the issue?

So in the end it is fine. I still am bummed I had that initial experience but it is great knowing that Samsung Support cares and helped me clear up the issues.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 4, 2014
Size Name: 50-Inch
I work in the film industry, and rely on having a high quality television to help me study the cinematography of other movie releases and improve my own craft.

I received this TV as an insurance replacement for a high-end Pioneer 50-inch plasma which originally retailed for around $7000 several years ago. At first, I was not too optimistic that this TV would stack up against my previous screen; but from the moment I started unboxing this TV, I was pleasantly surprised. It is less than half the weight of my old Pioneer, has a much thinner bezel, and has many features included in its operating software, such as streaming on-demand content and a variety of apps. It left me amazed at how fast technology has advanced, to make this not only technically superior to my previous TV, but a fraction of the retail price.

A setup "wizard" provided simple, step-by-step setup. The picture has beautiful contrast, colour, and brightness, and is completely flicker-free when viewing 2D content, due to a very high refresh rate of 120Hz. The TV comes with two remote controls, one, a traditional push-button remote, and a "smart" remote, which almost completely eliminates buttons in favour of a touchpad, and also includes a microphone for voice-control of the television. I've tried the voice control and found it to be a bit of a gimmick, rather than something I'd choose to use consistently; but the touchpad control is simple, intuitive, and completely eliminates any need to look at the remote control while using it, let alone hunt for the right button on a cluttered remote control keypad.

I was so impressed with this television unit that I have paired it with a Samsung 3D Blu-Ray player, as well as a Samsung tablet and smartphone. This ecosystem allows me to control my television and Blu-Ray player using my mobile devices, view my TV content on my tablet wherever I may be in the house, and optimise viewing of Blu-Ray content as the player and television can be set up to "talk" to one another and optimise settings accordingly.

I would certainly recommend this television to others, especially others who are passionate about image quality, or who have an older television and are considering an upgrade.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2014
Size Name: 48-InchVerified Purchase
I will start by saying I had a bit of a calamity with this product as I got one delivered which was damaged in delivery, so had to return it, but did then end up getting a replacement.

For us the size of the screen is great, has really good black screen color (which is the let down on cheap LED's).
The bezel is really nicely designed and is a clear plastic about 1/4inch thick which gives it a really nice framing (not noticeable but nice detail if you look for it).

The best thing for me is the sound. This model of Samsung they seemed to have sorted the normal lack luster speakers.
It does make the TV a bit thicker than another one we have form Samsung (series 8000) but for its purpose for us in our house is absolutely fine as is still a very thin TV.

If hooking up the TV to a 5.1 system or a Sonos soundbar or something then I might have considered a series which was a bit thinner, but we knew this would be a standalone item, and hence why these inbuilt speakers are so pleasing for us.

I personally like the Samsung Smart interface and how easy it is to set up.

One feature we were really surprised by and made it a wow moment for us was "screen mirroring" from an Amazon Kindle Fire to the TV.
We download shows to our Kindle Fire (of which there are loads of free stuff when you have Prime! - Love Amazon Prime!) and then can play them through our TV as they "wirelessly detect" each other. Its kinda like having a built in Chromecast but with more content possibilities and then you get great other features like xRay information during playback of content ( this is a Kindle Fire/Amazon Instant Video feature - but is so cool mirrored on this TV!)

This works super will for us as we have this TV at our cabin which has no wireless or cable and so our plan was to hook up a DVD player. Now we don't even need the DVD player and so just have a beautiful looking and sounding screen on the wall and no messy wires and devices attached.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2014
Size Name: 55-InchVerified Purchase
This TV is a good value for everything you get. The picture quality is excellent and the 3D, although gimmicky, does work out. The one thing that has drawn me to TV is the Smart TV functions and applications. Having Youtube, Netflix, and Vevo ready is a real plus. It's also nice to connect your smart phone and computer to the set so you can share content. The search feature is also one of my favorite functions. For example, if you search for something it will go through the whatever is on cable/dish and youtube. Everything feels so connected and lively, especially compared to my older Samsung set, which was not a Smart TV.

The major issue with this set is that it can drive you crazy with it's sometimes unresponsive interface. Going through some menus and applications can be slow and aggravating at times. The remote is also quite slow and seems to have an issue working together with turning my Dish box on and off with the TV. Samsung's call support was CLUELESS and told me the feature was not there. After I told them they were incorrect, they said a level 2 tech would call me back. They NEVER did. I just turn everything on/off with the Dish remote now. Still, the motion function on the remote is very useful as well as the voice control.

Overall it is a good TV, but Samsung must release another update to make it's functions more responsive. I did receive one update, but I don't think it did much speed related.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2014
Size Name: 60-Inch
Great picture with more features than I need. Haven't yet used the 3D function. I waited several weeks before writing my review, just wanted to make sure there weren't any problems with the TV. I was considering the 4K UHD TVs but was concerned about that new technology after reading the reviews, and the price was 2-3 times as much as this 2014 model. The average person doesn't need more than what this TV offers. I waited awhile for the price to come down, and it did by $300. Paid $1,500 directly from Amazon, not one of their 3rd party vendors who have questionable policies when it comes to returning TVs. I use the stand rather than mount on a wall, really like to be able to turn the TV on it's swivel for more direct viewing. And you can't beat the Amazon store card's 24-month interest free financing offer! I have purchased two TVs from Amazon as well as a number of other items and have yet to be disappointed, knock on wood.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2014
Size Name: 65-InchVerified Purchase
So far so good. I was not interested in the 3-D aspect of the TV, but the reviews for the other, less expensive model - noting the dubious origin of the panel, made me go for the slightly more expensive model.
The remote is a little weird getting used to - and you still need the cable remote to get at the On Demand stuff easily.
The best part was Amazon's delivery.
They were pretty close to on time - they unboxed it and turned it on so I could check for dead pixels (none) and powered up the remote so I was pretty sure it was all in good order, and I didn't have to strap it on top of the car and lug it into the house.
When they were done, they took all the packing away. Excellent, under-advertised service.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations