ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin Fire TV Stick Beauty Videos Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on May 18, 2012
This review is for the 60" model.

First Impressions
The box is *huge*. The TV is *thin*. Not even an inch at the edge, and maybe just over in the center. The menus are pretty straightforward. (I don't care too much about the 3D or Smart features of this TV at the moment, and don't have much frame of reference for how to judge modern 3D, so I can't really review these aspects.) The screen doesn't seem too glossy, but it apparently works very well as a mirror because I can see a negative image of my kitchen when it's off.

One extremely annoying "feature" of these TVs that I've found out after purchase is the "CE Dimming" feature. This is not the "ECO Dimming" or anything you can control; It's hard-coded into the certain picture modes (Standard and Native, at least). This feature is something that will reduce the backlighting when there is mostly black on the screen. (For example, if there is 100% brightness white text on a pure black screen, it would actually display at a fraction of that intensity due to the backlight dimming). I've read that this is to reduce the appearance of light bleeding in from the edges, since it's edge-lit. This "feature" annoys me significantly, particularly because I am not allowed to control it. After searching around I found out this is called "CE Dimming" and you can hack it by going into the service menu (you can find the instructions online yourself), however messing with it apparently voids the warranty. The only picture mode I found that doesn't use this is "Movie" mode. But, movie mode looks terrible with its default settings.

After 3 days of struggle, experimentation, and research, I've found settings that actually give me a picture I can call "good" or better. I'm not an expert, but I'm technical and pretty picky. So, because I have found no calibration settings for this series of TVs yet, I'm going to provide the ones I am using, if only to prevent any of you from having to obsess over this for hours and hours. I'll offer a little bit of explanation as to why I'm setting it the way I am. I got some guidance and expertise from a known site, but as of right now they do not have professionally calibrated settings. What I did is by eye only.

Picture Mode: Movie

Film Mode: Auto2
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
LED Motion Plus: On

Comments on the Settings
Movie mode is the only mode I found that doesn't use "CE Dimming", which is a huge annoyance to me. (I'd rather see edge-lighting, easily. Not sure why I can't control that, Samsung.) Backlight, brightness, and color are kind of like salt and pepper: Use to personal taste in your environment.

A note about almost all the other settings: I like an eye-popping, colorful picture as much as the next guy, but I don't like it at the expense of information loss. From my own experimentation (in Standard and Native modes), all the Dynamic Contrast and Black Tone settings did was flatten out the low end of the blacks. Dark scenes look like "paint by number" with all kinds of banding and digital multiplication/division. Lame, worthless settings if that is the effect, and a problem in general with "digital" stuff.

Standard white balance isn't fine-grained enough to make the adjustments to any of the picture modes that are necessary, in my opinion. I messed with it for a long time, so I know. :) The only way to get actual, fine-grained color control is to use the 10p White Balance settings. Now, I only know this from messing around with it, but what this does is allow you to control the individual colors R, G, and B as 10 different intensities, from black to white. So, Interval 1 is the darkest reds, greens, and blues (close to black), and Interval 10 is the brightest R, G, and B, close to white. If you use "Expert Pattern 1" you can see how this works. Short summary?: Red is WAY over-represented and blue is WAY under-represented when everything is set at 0. Everything looked neon until I calibrated this, particularly the reds, and greens to some extent. (Maybe they can create a "1980's" picture mode!)

The noise filters aren't needed when you have everything calibrated correctly. They are kind of an excuse for having the eye-popping over-saturated settings that Standard and Dynamic mode come with. I'm not too sure on the Film Mode and LED Motion Plus. They didn't give me any noticible changes. The Auto Motion plus is nice, but I found that it starts getting choppy when you have other effects going on, including a lowered sharpness (I imagine it must be doing some extra calculations for that.) So, I only set it to Clear because it doesn't seem to get choppy with that set, but still provides some stability and smoothness in fast scenes.

I give the picture (once it is set correctly) a 5/5. The fact that I can't adjust certain "features", combined with the level of screwing around it requires to make the picture look good makes me lower that. Seriously Samsung... why can't there be a default mode in here that has professionally calibrated settings? You must know that the reds are way too saturated, right? You can still set it to "Standard Mode" by default to create eye-popping pictures that make people buy the TV. But with all your expertise, why not just have a mode that has all this stuff pre-calibrated and save us the time?

EDIT (2012-05-28): After further tinkering, I think I have refined settings to make the picture pop a little more without ruining the picture. Use above settings, but adjust to these:
Dynamic Contrast: LOW
Black Tone: Darker
HDMI Black Level: LOW
Color Space: Native

EDIT (2012-11-06): Now there are finally professionally calibrated settings available (have been for a few months). You can do a search for "un60es6500 calibration" and it's one of the top results. But, there are problems with those settings. The major one is the regular "White Balance" blue offset setting. They say to use 28. The problem with this is that increasing the offset makes the black baseline move up. So, 100% black now appears brighter. I've adjusted their settings and come up with a slight modification that I think looks fantastic. (Also, my experience with the latest firmware 001023 from Nov 1 was NOT GOOD. It wouldn't allow any picture mode except Dynamic. I did a factory reset, and things are better now.)

Picture Mode Movie

B-Offset 25
R-Gain 18
G-Gain 23
B-Gain 25

EDIT (2012-12-02): I've recently updated to the latest firmware version 001024 and I think it is an improvement. With that update, I've adjusted my settings to the above, but with Gamma -2 and Black Tone: Dark and Color Tone: Warm 1. Looks great to me!

EDIT (2013-01-02): I've recently updated to firmware version 001025. I might be me imagining it, but I think the video quality degraded slightly, and the issue with SmartHub (where the SmartHub will just pop up randomly, for a second or two, for no reason) is still there. Samsung needs to get their sheet together, because this is just silly, for a $2000 product. But hey, once you've got their money, who cares!

EDIT (2013-02-18): The SmartHub problem is fixed now. It apparently just needed to be updated to the latest version, and wasn't an issue with the firmware, as I'm still on 001025 and haven't had that issue in over a month.
6767 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2012
I got this TV to upgrade from an older Samsung 46" 60htz LCD which I loved. I spent a lot of time comparing TV brands when buying that first TV and didn't have to do much shopping for this one. I knew that I loved Samsung's picture over any other TV except for some of the Sony Bravias but they're overpriced IMO. I wanted a 55" 3D with at least 120htz and this one fit the bill. I bought the last one on Amazon so I came back here for this purchase. They delivered it quickly and it was in perfect condition as expected.

I was initially aprehensive about this TV after seeing it only got 3 1/2 stars in customer reviews so I read all the reviews. I found that the people who gave the TV a negative review were all upset about the Smart TV internet features. Slow connectivity when using a browser, Netflix, Youtube, etc. I understand their reason for being upset because a TV that includes those features should function properly. Unfortunately these rely heavily on your internet connection speed which may not be fast enough to support them. Oh well, buy a faster internet plan. This TV is on the low end of the Smart TV spectrum so I wouldn't expect those features to perform as well on it considering the other 3 models above it have dual core processors built into them to handle that. Buy one of those models with the dual core if you're main reason for having a TV is to surf the internet or watch youtube. Or just use your computer for that like the rest of us. The actual "TV" is top-notch and the 3D is spectacular!

I agree with some of the reviewers that the picture needs tweaking to get it right. I was fully prepared for that because I had to tweak my last Samsung for a while before getting the picture just right but once it's set, it's awesome. This TV has even more options to tweak so it can get confusing for the inexperienced but it's capable of producing one of the best pictures out there if you know how to tune it. The Dynamic, Standard, and Native picture modes are actually pretty useless unfortunately. Set it to Movie mode and start tweaking. Yes, it starts out dark so increase the backlighting and brightness, bump up the color and sharpness, high auto contrast, darkest black level, etc... If anyone wants my specific settings I'll list them if you ask.

The 3D is simply awesome. Home theater 3D isn't going to be as good as going to an IMAX theater but it's still pretty sweet. One thing to keep in mind is that the picture mode settings that you did in TV mode don't carry over to 3D mode nor do they carry over to the other sources, HDMI in, Component In. So, if you have a PS3 hooked up to HDMI you'll have to edit the picture settings for that source to match the main TV settings so you get the same picture in both. Game Mode limits the amount of settings you can tweak so you have to use your judgement with that but if you match everything you can it'll work out fine. Just remember to turn Game Mode OFF before watching movies because it degrades picture quality.

I'm sure this isn't the best review out there for the TV but it might be of some use to some of you. If you're considering a 3D TV and you're not overly concerned with using it as a web browser and just want a great TV then this is it. Once dialed in, the picture is fantastic and the price is right. If you're interested in the Smart TV features MORE than watching a great and inexpensive 3D TV then pay more money for the next models in the series that have the dual core processor. Regardless, stick with a Samsung because it's always the best picture for the money.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 26, 2012
I just received the TV yesterday at noon time and here are my initial impressions on it (an update will follow in 2 weeks)...

Please keep in mind I previously owned a Samsung UN52A650, UN46D6000, UN55D6000 and now on my 4th Samsung unit UN60ES6500, all purchased through

Yes, the ES6500 models do come with only 3 HDMI inputs. I don't know why people are rating the TV low because of this (downgrade) feature. Having previously owned the UN55D6000, which had 4 HDMI inputs, I never made use of all 4 HDMI ports anyhow because I do own an Onkyo 607 receiver with a built in 5 HDMI switcher.

Here is how I use the HDMI labeled ports:
1) HDMI/DVI (recommended for PC use) - connected to my HTPC computer, very sharp clear text in 1920x1080 resolution with Windows 7
2) HDMI 2 - connected directly to Sony 3D BX58 BLU RAY player (since my Onkyo 607 does not support 3D, but planning on buying Onkyo 616 through Amazon). Amazing picture quality. Be sure to use a high speed (10.2gbps) HDMI cable to playback 3D content.
3) HDMI 3 - connected to Onkyo 607 receiver (cable box, Asus Oplay media player, Xbox 360, PS3)

The TOSLINK (optical output on TV) however does not pass through HD-MASTER, TRUHD, or any other high fidelity sound other than Dolby Digital and PCM. The only way to achieve this is to connect your blu ray player through your surround sound receiver.

The speakers sound OK, but only use them when watching conventional TV programming. Surround sound is used mostly especially during movies and sporting events.

Default settings set the contrast level at '14' which is too low for my taste. I did some calibration to match my UN55D6000 set and found the UN60ES6500 to be a tad bit dimmer than the UN55D6000, maybe because of the new semi-gloss finish on the screen. Again, I will come back in two weeks to update this section after I have found the perfect settings for each of the 3 HDMI inputs, which can be configured independently.

Now for the 3D part... I don't have an actual 3D blu ray movie just yet, and will update in 2 weeks when I do watch one. However, I was able to view 1920x1080 24p/30p demos on my Sony 3D blu ray player and watched various content including music videos, sports, and PS3 games. I've seen plenty of store demos on 3D, and after playing around with the UN60ES6500 3D features, I must tell you that 3D has come a long way especially on this unit. The UN60ES6500 3D feature is simply mind blowing!! You may have seen 3D, where it feels like the 3D only goes 'into the TV' and not protrude out towards you. The UN60ES6500 3D feature DOES COME OUT at you, and with great depth! I've seen some LG models that their 3D content goes 'out of the TV', but let me tell you the demos I've watched last night REALLY came out!! I'm very amazed Samsung, job well done here! Even the 2D->3D worked impressively well, but again not as good as REAL3D video footage.

Again, I will come back and update this in 2 weeks from 4/26/2012. Hope this helped some of you in rethinking about buying the UN60ES6500. Thanks!
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 29, 2012
This TV is beautiful, large, thin, stylish and looks great in my living room, that is until you turn it on; the backlight bleeding is so severe that you can see it during the day, of course there is usually ways to improve this issue, lowering the backlight, increasing screen brightness etc.

The problem with this TV is the fact that a lot of the picture settings are locked into specific parameters, I did manage to bring the bleeding under control by changing the picture preset to "Natural" and the HDMI black to "Darkest" but because the "Natural" preset has so many picture options locked compared to the "Movie" preset the picture becomes really saturated and colors look way off without having a way to correct them. To give an example there was a video of the Golden Gate Bridge and I've been there in person and so I know what color it is in real life..."Natural" made the bridge look bright orange, the only thing that looks good under "Natural" are peoples faces, everything else looks wrong.

Another massive problem with this set is the backlight dimming, unless you set the backlight setting to normal (Which seems to overide the auto dimming) the TV changes brightness so rapidly it feels like someone is turning a light on and off in front of your eyes, also keep in mind that while using the Samsung Apps (Netflix, etc..) the picture settings are completely on their own and don't use anything you might have made changes to

One last problem I had with this set is the wireless only worked once and then it wouldnt connect so I had to switch to wired ethernet. Needless to say I sent the TV back, Amazon is great when it comes to returning big items, I'm glad I bought it from them, also CEVA freight company was great and delivered on time and helped setting up the set, also picked up 2 days before it was scheduled to be sent back, this bad review falls completely on Samsung and not on Amazon or the delivery company. a big part of me believes that if you are spending $2700 on a TV, it should be flawless, I'm going back to SHARP.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 16, 2012
After purchasing a Samsung UN55D7000 about 6 months ago (2011 model) which I was very happy with, I needed a new TV for my bedroom and this model was the perfect size and it had many of the same features.

This TV is the 2012 model and is still fairly new, they are still working out the bugs with the smartTV side for the 2012 models at Samsung. I noticed that this TV does not have the HBO2GO app yet and I read how it is because it is a 2012 and the app has to be changed.

Also the Browser is not working, this could be an issue with just my tv but I tested it and it would not connect.

I compared this TV next to the D7000 and it was exactly the same but it did not have the "spotlighting" that occurs on the 2011 models. The blacks seem much blacker also.

I have not tested the 3D part, one good this is that this model comes with 2 pairs of glasses, they are the ones with batteries you have to replace and they do not recharge but I did not buy it for the 3d part.

I tested the Pandora app and it worked the same as other my other TV. The entire Samsung model line up seems to be ahead of the curve and quality seems to be great. The tv is very thin and crystal clear. The built in speakers sound good.

- Clear Picture and good colors
- Samsung smartTV - huge fan of how it works and the ease of use

- Browser is not working and some apps are not ready for the 2012 line up (yet, no worries they will get them working)
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2012
I bought this TV on August 2012. The picture quality was excellent, and it was exactly what I was expecting since I already owned two other Samsung HDTVs. However, the 3D functionality wasn't working for my PS3 or my computer (it worked only for the 3D features offered directly from the TV, but not for external devices). I tried everything: using different HDMI cables, going through every single option in both the TV and my PS3, read every internet article about the subject, and nothing worked. In the end I wound up calling Samsung because I figured it was a problem with the TV.

It was a painful process because I had to call them multiple times, and every time I had to go through the same description of what was going on. I believe they thought I was doing something wrong, so they kept on escalating the issue hoping someone would make me realize I was making a mistake with my setup; but of course no one was able to help me because no one knew what was going on. In the end they sent a guy to my house, who of course didn't know what the the problem was either, so he just decided to replace the main board on my tv. I am happy to say that the 3D functionality started working after that, but man, it took them a long time to finally conceed that the problem was on their end. In fact, they actually made me buy a Samsung Blu-Ray player just to make sure it wan't a problem that somehow all my external devices had.

Still, I'm going to give the TV 4 stars because I'm quite happy with it now that it works, plus I haven't seen anybody else having the same issue in forums. I don't usually write reviews, but I wanted to let people know what the problem could be in case their 3D functionality doesn't work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2012
I must preface this review by saying I got a substantial discount on this set. If I had paid anything near MSRP I'd probably have to be more critical. I bought this TV because I liked the idea of having the "Smart Hub" internet TV features. I was in the market to replace my 34" Sony Wega XBR CRT, and also replace the Netflix and streaming features of my PS3 due to it being an older system and wishing to extend it's life. The 3D feature to me was a bonus, but not a requirement in my shopping. I has somewhat fallen in love with the LG 6700 series with passive 3D but found this for a much lower price. The TV was well packaged and unboxing it and setting it on it's included stand was a snap. Setup takes quite some time to get all the advanced features up and running. Out of the box, the picture was fairly terrible. The backlight is turned all the way up and therefore on any black screen the edge lighting bleeds badly. There is also some clouding in the middle of my screen when the backlight is all the way up. Reducing the backlight level to 14 significantly reduced this tendency but it's still slightly problematic. Coming from the CRT world, I'm used to black being black so it's a bit of a let down but I realized this comes with the territory with edge lit LED/LCD sets. The color accuracy and gamut are nice, the picture out of the box is vivid to a fault and needs to be dialed back a bit to provide accurate color. The picture and the processing once adjusted are very nice. A HD signal from Blu-Ray or a STB is hard to fault. Even SD programming looks great, probably helped by the fact that this is a 40" set. The Smart Hub features all seem to work well, with the exception of AllSharePlay. It will not play back .mkv files which seem to be how all the 3D SBS content that can be downloaded from the internet is packaged. Fortunately, old friend PS3 has no problem streaming these from my MBP to the set. In fact the set would not play back the .mkv files even when an external drive was plugged directly in to the TV. A neat feature is the ability to control the set through your iPhone. I don't use it that often but it is a feature that works well. It's much easier to enter text in this manner. The 3D feature works well and is a plus for truly immersive viewing. The provided glasses are light and comfortable, and I have not experienced any flickering or eyestrain in my experience. The sound is adequate but any serious movie watching deserves a decent sound system. If you want a set with some high-end features and a slick aesthetic design, and can accept some small PQ warts, this is a very nice set.

HD Picture
Smart TV Features
Custom settings for source/type of programming
Many picture adjustments
Low power consumption

Unadjusted picture
Won't play back some types of video files
Edge lighting bleed/clouding

Samsung UN40ES6500 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2012
I am an Amazon fan but this time I got this tv cheaper in a department store. My intention was to install this TV with a low profile wall mount. My surprise was to find that all connector in the back (except for 2 USB ports and 1 hdmi) where located facing out from the back of the TV. In addition to that the power cord is not recessed either. It comes out more than 1 inch from the back of the tv so when trying to use a low profile mount you simply can't.

How come samsung makes these basic mistakes on design? If you buy a slim led tv it is because most likely you are planning to take advantage of the width and have it wall mounted as close as you can to the wall. Any way....the work around for me was to buy recessed outlet box for everything....hdmi, RCA, network, power, etc....and install the box exactly where the terminals in the back panel are. You have to measure perfectly where the recessed box should be located otherwise if you miss the location by .5 inch you are low profile mount.

By the way, to add to samsung's mistakes, the power connector of the tv comes in the opposite side of the av connector on the tv so expect to install a 2nd box to allow the power connector sit on the wall.

The TV quality is good and the image is really good....note that I'm not that picky with settings and image quality..formy normal use watcing tv with my family and enjoy the weekend this is a very good tv. If you are planning to install your tv on a tv stand I definitely recommend this tv otherwise add 200usd to 300usd to your budget to get the recessed boxes, connectors,etc and have them installed.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2012
I purchased the tv recently. I am very much satisfied with the features and quality of the tv.

60 inches tv

Built in Wifi - works very good.

Free Samsung apps - Netflix , YouTube etc. I tried both Netflix and YouTube . It's amazing quality. No buffering. Of course depends on the speed of your Internet connection.

Browser included - renders the web page very nicely.

A qwerty keyboard was not included. It would have been nice if they included them with the tv.

The picture clarity is amazing. I had to set an option with picture settings for watching movies to feel like you are actually watching a movie.

It comes with three hdmi ports.

3d feature is nice. There is an option to cOnvert 2d to 3d as well. Comes with 2 free glasses.

This is well worth for the prize compared to 7500 and 8000 series.

Thus model was released in feb or march this year 2012. It has improved Samsung apps .

Overall I would rate this television better than Sony or LG or any other brand.

Once you get the tv , make sure your cable receiver hdmi settings is configured to output 1080 I or 1080 p which ever is supported so that your tv can display with maximum clarity.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 18, 2012
The web browser in Samsung does not support streaming of Videos. When I started to stream videos, the browser crashes within 5 minutes. I got a replacement and same happened. When I called Samsung Customer care they say that there is a limitation in the web browser and it should be used only for surfing.

If that was the case they should indicate in the product description as a limitation rather misleading customers. Please do not get fooled by looking at this TV for a web browser.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...