on January 6, 2013
I can NOT believe the number of negative reviews this set has received. I almost didn't buy it because of the negative reviews until I went to HHGreg and compared the 65es8000 side by side with the other sets on the floor The picture was the best in the store!. With Amazons 30 day return policy, and seeing a perfect picture, how could I go wrong? I was not a bit disappointed right out of the box, it was almost perfect. I came off of a Sony Bravia KDL-52BR4 which was top of the line less than 5 years ago. The Sony next to the Samsung 8000 looks like an old CRT set. After reading the reviews here, I ordered the Disney WOW calibration DVD and I hardly made any corrective adjustments to my set as it was delivered. The minor adjusts I did make, made this set perfect.

The "Soap Opera" effect that some have mentioned looks like PERFECT depth separation to me, almost 3D without the glasses and that is what we upgraded to 3D for. There are NO dark corners that others have referred to, there is no dark anything. All of the pixels are perfect, all the test with the WOW DVD came out perfect, the set was delivered working perfect. Follow the "Quick Start" guide, read the instruction on what settings work best and there is NO problem with this set.

All I can say is disregard the negative comments on this set, it is about as perfect as it comes in my book, and my viewing pleasure. Don't hold back buying one because of the negative comments like I did, go see an 8000 in person, you will be very surprised.

I have a Yamaha Amp and Energy Take Classic speakers by Kilpish making this an awesome entertainment center. I was surprised how good the 8000 built in speakers were before hooking up the surround sound. This is an amazing TV and worth every penny. It was a $100. less than my Sony was 5 years ago. I did catch the 8000 on sale when a $200. gift card was given with the purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 10, 2013
I received this 65" TV on 2/7/13. I was hoping that it would be problem-free, unlike the experience of many. Alas on day 2 it developed banding problems. These are vertical bands that you can see when the camera pans across a field. It seems like a soccer game really reveals this problem. When the camera moves across the field you can see areas of light/dark (vertical) bands. I cannot see the bands in any other scenes during the game, such as closeups, goal area, etc. If you are a soccer fan then this problem is an absolute killer.
The TV also has very significant edge light bleeding during dark scenes in some movies.
The pluses are that it us a very beautiful picture during well-lighted scenes, and the 3D is just amazing. The TV is incredibly attractive with its bezel and the thin panel. The picture goes out to the edge of the TV because the bezel (border) is only about 2 cm wide. I have a Z-line Cruise TV stand and it sits beautifully on it.
I bought it specifically from Amazon because I did not want a hassle with exchanges, and this is what seems to have happened. I received the TV on 2/7, and called them on 2/10 (Sunday) to send it back. They are going to ship a new one and have the delivery people just swap out the defective unit. It took < 15 minutes to arrange this, and AMZN was amazing; they did not fight me on the return in any shape or form. I never buy anything more than $200 from any 3rd party sellers - it is better to pay more for Amazon service.
You may ask why I persisted in ordering this TV again despite all the bad reviews and the dud I received. I really like Samsung in terms of the picture and the look of the TV. I compared Samsung to the Sharp Elite and the Sony XBR950 at Best Buy; I liked the Samsung better for picture quality and brightness. The Sony was not as bright as the other two despite being set on a similar dynamic setting. The BB rep, who was very knowledgeable, did this fine-tuning. He also agreed that Sony does not output as bright a picture. For all the great reputation of the Elite series, I liked the ES8000 better in terms of broadcast programming picture. Also do not forget the 70" Elite is $7000 at BB and the Sony is $5200. If you want a 65" then I believe the Samsung for its price is a good option, if it works. I do not want to spend too much as I think that in 4 - 5 years OLED or 4K will be entering as a new standard. I do not want to pay 7K for an Elite, which probably is my next choice.
I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the next unit works. My plan is that if this also is defective then I will get an ES7500 60 inch; it appears as if this has less problems. I will update this review one I receive the new set. I will say that this whole ES series is not for those who want to buy without risk. If you fall in this category then look to another brand or the 7500 series from Samsung.

Update 2/15/13 - I received the 2nd TV yesterday, and presto it had exactly the same problems. It was actually worse on this TV. Any sport where the camera goes across a field, like soccer and basketball, you can see this vertical banding going across the screen. If you are a soccer fan then you need to get rid of the TV immediately.

I called Amazon and they are going to pick up the TV on Monday. I will not order another ES8000 series, even though I like the look of the TV and the 65 inches. They are great TVs for movies, but not for sports. Samsung ought to be embarrassed for selling this TV. Obviously they did not do due diligence and proper product testing. This is terrible for one of your high-end TVs. The only TV more expensive is the 75". I am shocked that a great company like Samsung would do this. Look at many of the other reviewers on this site and AV forum, etc. Many have had the same complaint with multiple TVs. Basically it is like showing a middle finger to your customer, and hurts the company over the long term.
I have a Samsung UN40B6000 which has worked great for almost 4 years; I plan to now buy a ES7500 which seems like it has much less problems. I still like Samsung for a bright high quality picure. But they have hurt customers and the company by the ES8000 garbage.
Who in their right mind is going to buy the 2013 F8000 series which are supposed to come out soon? Anybody who had a bad experience like me is surely going to wait to see if these are also flawed. Also any person who does some basic internet research must have some hesitiation about the quality of the 2013 series, based on the ES8000 customer reviews. Samsung is just plain stupid in this regard - this is how you chase away customers and degrade your reputation. They are obviously focused on releasing a new TV every 6 months, without enough regard for the quality.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 7, 2013
We now have had this over a year and it has been great. wonderful picture quality and it blows you away with it's definition. Makes watching hd totally like your in the room
on May 15, 2013
Was worried about ordering a tv over the Internet but it came in undamaged. It has an unbelievable picture. Quite a bit cheaper on amazon vs best buy. Very satisfied.
on April 25, 2013
Unfortunately I had the worst experience with my first Samsung product in years. In reading the reviews for this top-of-the-line TV, I was sure that the misfortunes of some owners must be the vocal minority. There's no way a flagship product that looks like such an amazing piece of hardware could be this bad. That or maybe there was just a bad batch and Samsung probably has that sorted out. That's what I was thinking anyway when I made my purchase.

Turns out the poor reviews aren't planted either, they're true. Look throughout out the web and the common themes of banding, clouding and flashlighting are true. My 65ES8000 had all three issues distinctly, and Samsung knows this is common with this model. But I guess when Samsung figured out the defective rate of these was high, it was just easier to just replace panels (which they will offer you, and didn't help in my situation) and roll the dice until the new model comes out rather than make major changes to the manufacturing process of this model.

Very disappointed, this is a sweet looking TV in person... when its not turned on. But if you have even an average idea of picture quality, this set isn't going to work for you. This was my first/last Samsung for awhile, and my first return to Amazon. Lesson learned.
on April 3, 2013
I researched newer HDTVs for weeks before pulling the string on this purchase. Amazon/Pauls TV had the lowest price and offered free White Glove Delivery from southern CA to central OH. The TV arrived on the 7th day which was also the last day of the delivery window. (More on shipping later.)

The TV has been in service for 24-hours, so my experience is limited. Given all of the good information offered product reviewers, I am returning the favor by sharing my thoughts thus far, updating as appropriate.

*** Selection of the Samsung UN65ES8000 65" ***
My long time main screen is a seven year old Hitachi 42HDT79 UltraVision Cineform 42" Plasma. This model remains one of the best displays I have ever seen. It is time for an increased screen size given the larger viewing space of a new family room. Calculations indicated a 65" screen was a bit on the "small size," but larger screens command a healthy premium. Once installed the 65" screen seems almost too large for us; seating distance is 15 feet from the face.

We visited the normal big box stores, plus some home grown outlets. My heart was set on a larger plasma, but their performance did not match my expectations. As we viewed the 100+ screens (all set on "high" brightness - my retinas almost hurt from the exposure) only one jumped out above the rest. I had the salesman adjust the screen from Demo to a more natural setting and I knew this was the right set.

Other goodies important to me:
- The TV can be updated via an easy chip swap.
- Smart functions, including wireless internet browser via Blue Tooth keyboard/swipe pad. (I use a LogicTech K400 - cheaper than Samsung's overpriced version.)
- Several smart apps, including Amazon's Prime and rental videos.
- Good 3D, although that was the least of my criteria

The box store negotiated price, but would only drop their bottom line by $100 - and delivery was another $80. I price shopped many outlets over the internet and settled on Amazon for a nice savings and free delivery.

*** Shipping and Delivery ***
Shipping from southern CA to central OH was scheduled for 5-7 days. It arrived at my local terminal on Day 6, and was delivered to my home on Day 7.

Home deliver was via a common carrier offering the "White Glove Service" (WGS). What a huge disappointment, frankly. The two delivery men showed up at my door on the last hour of their 4-hour window (which was okay by me). Delivery from the truck to the family room was attacked as if they were players in the midst of a Ohio State vs. Michigan football game. The final straw was when they slid the box down the carpeted steps to the basement. Whatever grime accumulated on the box bottom between the factory and my home was transferred into my neutral colored carpet, as were their boot prints. After two hours of scrubbing I took a break to formulate my next attack. At least the WGS men said they were sorry - I bet they do it again, though.

The box had deep crush/cut areas across the top about 2' from each end. Inspection of the TV indicated no visible markings to the set. With the top off the box the TV rests on the bottom shipping skid. I was told the WGS protocol is for the TV to be plugged in as it sits on the skid and a few basic strokes of the remote to check function. That was it. I have no complaint about the "testing," just understand the buyer is responsible for lifting the TV out of the shipping skid to the stand, table or wall brackets.

*** Setup ***
First off, there is not a printed instruction manual provided with this TV. For something priced nearly $3,000 I expect a manual. I did find an electronic version online, but was not impressed. I blew up and printed some illustrations prior to delivery; they were usefully for set up.

Setup is mostly intuitive, though a manual would answer some early questions. For example, the TV did not recognize the cable box initially. Eventually I found the "Inputs" selection and made adjustments. Note the remote control does have a handy Input button, but I totally missed it the first 10 or so minutes.

WiFi setup took only as long as typing in my password. The unit was recognized, then immediately downloaded and installed file updates without prompting. Impressive.

*** Initial Performance ***
Just as many have noted, there is a noticeable "spot light effect" on the four corners of the screen. However, the effect is present only on certain static, gray backgrounds, like an apps or set up screen. Active color video is wonderful thus far. No other adverse visual issues. I will monitor and return the set if required.

I selected the "Normal" screen display and streamed videos, cruised cable broadcasts and played a BluRay DVD. The color and overall display is exceptional. Out of the box color settings are a touch off to my taste. I will use the TV for a week or two then perform a calibration.

In comparison to my 42" plasma the new screen is just huge! The plasma color quality is better and images perhaps a bit "softer," while the Samsung has a picture that is so accurate/sharp it has a surreal, almost unnatural effect. Not bad, just very, very different. It will take a bit to become accustomed.

Fast action sports is worth the 240 Hz refresh rate. No blur at all. I watched golf (yes, golf!) on a 120 Hz model that had a terrible blurring effect when zooming towards the green. The grass appeared more like soft moss until the zoom motion ceased. The 240 Hz Samsung has nothing but perfectly sharp images.

BluRay videos are simply amazing! Again, the sharpness is hard to describe, but seems almost exaggerated.

I have not tried 3-D, voice recognition or hand motion (other than in Setup mode).

*** Summary ***
I am truly aggravated with the White Glove Service severely soiling the carpet. The "spot lights" on some menu screens is a distraction and - hopefully - not a harbinger of future issues. (I purchased a warranty for an additional three years - via another firm - at a huge discount.) The picture quality is outstanding where it counts, though a good calibration is worth the effort. I will update as appropriate.

***Update ***
3-D Glasses: The TV comes with four sets of active glasses and button style batteries. The glasses must be assembled and the batteries installed. Installing the batteries is a pain because the access flap will not open by sliding "upwards" as the arrow indicates. You must also press firmly at the bottom of the flap while sliding upward pressure. The power/sync botton is very small; I often think I have engaged the button but have not.

3-D Performance: 3-D video is nothing short of incredible! The every popular coral sea videos bring snorkel, diving and sharks to the tip of your nose. I find this unit performs 3-D much better than at IMAX theaters.

Streaming: This is a hopeless (and very disappointing) cause with the "flagship" of Samsung's TV fleet. After hours of testing the issue has to be in the TV's software. My network tests at 22MIPs wireless. My Samsung wireless BluRay player streams flawlessly for hours on end. I can not stream for more than two minutes or so with this TV.

Spot Lighting: As I reported earlier, this is very pronounced on set up and Samsung title screens. Monochrome backgrounds are likely to experience this flaw. They can not be seen when watching videos or TV broadcasts.

Streaking: I have noticed very, very light vertical banding at approximately the left and right third of the screen. This can only be seen on static, light colored monochrome displays; as with spot lighting, it is not an issue when watching video.

Motion Control: This is beyond an unneeded gimick. I disabled it after it started changing channel and volume settings if someone set down on the couch. This is useless and a waste of technology, IMHO.

Warranty: I purchased a 5 Year total warranty from Square Trade at under a hundo via a warehouse club.

Summary: I am very disappointed with the nagging Samsung software issues. Upgrades to this system can not come soon enough. Streaming is lost on this unit, as are the hand motion features. The imagine is good so long as the spot lighting on setup screens doesnt bother you.

Samsung must fix these quality issues or their reputation (and future sales) will suffer.

I have lowered my overall rating to "3 Stars" because of poor performance ancillary features.
on April 1, 2013
Bright spots from the corners and one the size of a basketball right in the middle of the screen. This was an amazon warehouse purchase, so you think it would have been tested before being resold. Returned right away, what a waste of time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 29, 2012
I was scared based on some of the reviews but my friend bought one and loved it. It was just delivered and was set up by Amazon as promised. Watchung HULU now and it looks spectacular. Would recommend to anyone. Will update after I have spent some time with it. Please note I mainly bought this tv for picture quality and not the smart/3D features.

**Update #1** So last night I watched a 3D movie just to check it out. I was actually surprised by the clarity of the 3D. It seemed to match the quality you would see in a theater, but on a smaller scale. The glasses are comfortable also. Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, HBO Go, Amazon, and the apps all seem to work fine. The motion control and voice controls do not interest me at all so I have not turned them on.

The first picture setting I turned off was Auto Motion Plus. This removed the fake looking "soap opera" effect. Otherwise the picture quality looks great to me on and I only hope to improve it through calibration.

I played Call of Duty Black Ops II in 3D and 2D and it was crystal clear. No issues with gaming that I could find.

The only issue I have noticed is a color bleed (I think that is what they call it) in the corners and a large spot in the center. It's only noticeable when the screen shows black or a dark scene. It really does not bother me but I did call 800-Samsung to ask about it. The rep was very pleasant and offered to have a local technician come out just to make sure it's not defective. Some forums I have read say this issue is common with LED's and can be fixed with the picture settings. I will play with that and see what the tech thinks and report back. Even with this issue I am head over heels with this tv.

**Update #2** After using WOW to calibrate and trying the expert settings I still can't get rid of the white ghost blob in the center. It was really bad on the HULU app menu and during The Walking Dead. Samsung has a local rep coming Wed to check the tv out. I love the picture quality otherwise so I will try to get it fixed or replaced. More to come...

**Update #3*** So the tv repairman came today to check out the tv for Samsung. He agreed there was a problem and suggested that I contact Amazon for a return vs having it serviced. I called Amazon and the rep was amazing. They are having the replacement sent and will get the old one when the new one comes. Fingers crossed because I want this tv.

**Update #4** Amazon was amazing and did the exchange. The new tv has minor light bleed on the corners but the middle is clear and I am totally satisfied!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 24, 2013
Have had the Samsung UN65ES8000 for a week. At first, it was great. Movies looked fantasic, blu-rays were even better, smart hub has a lot to offer and being able to skype on the big screen is great. However, I love to watch sports and the next day decided to take in A hockey game. After just a few minutes I noticed this these faint darker colored vertical bands going back and forth across the white background of the ice. I immediately had this empty feeling in my stomach because I remembered reading many reviews for the 65inch that involved banding issues. I then switched over to the golf tournament, and there they were again. Every time the camera panned across the fairway to follow the ball, or panned across the green to follow a put, those faint darker vertical bands were there scrolling across the screen. The strange thing about this problem is if you are watching a movie or blu-ray it is not noticeable at all, only where there is a solid background with movement. Unfortunately, that covers most sports. It makes watching sports very frustrating. After taking a couple of days to think if I should return the TV because the picture for movies and tv is fantastic, I kept thinking about spending that much money for something that I was not happy with. And I was reminded how unhappy I was every time I stopped to watch some hockey, golf, or basketball. I have gone back to the store where I made the purchase and they are going to bring me a new UN65ES8000 next week. They told me I was the third person in the last 4 months that had the same complaint. I decided to give the tv one more try, but judging on some previous reviews, I think chances are I will end up with the same problem with the new one....I am keeping my fingers crossed and will update the outcome.

Some other notes about the UN65ES8000, the smart remote is a waste of time because it does not respond very well and takes longer to do things than just using the regular remote. Motion control is hard to use unless you have a bright room. My TV is in the basement and I have to turn all the lights on for the motion control to work. Voice control is cool to impress friends and family that come over to the house, but to shout at the tv on a regular basis is not practical and it is much quicker to use the regular remote. As mentioned before, the skype camera feature works great. My wife skypes with far away family often and it is nice to be able to sit comfortably on the couch and chat. The camera and the sound for skype works perfectly, very clear picture and very easy to hear through the speakers.

In conclusion, I realize that sometimes things are defective and don't work properly and I am hoping that when My new set arrives it will work as I expected the first time. My worry from previous reviews it that this TV may be flawed and if so, shame on Samsung for not correcting this issue and allowing these defective sets to continue to be sold.

Update March 9, 2013: Was brought my second UN65ES8000 finally today. As soon as the service techs turned on the new TV we all saw the faint verticle bands on the white screen just like the first TV. They tried using different cables and I hooked up a different cable box to make completely sure it was the TV, and unfortunately it was. Obviously, I sent that one back and I am going to exchange my samsung for a different TV and brand. It is obvious there is a defect with the 65inch model because the vertical bands on the new TV were in the same position as the first TV I received, like they are all being produced the same way. I am very, very disappointed that Samsung would sell this quality TV at any price, let alone for $3000-$4000. Please, if you are looking for a 65inch TV read all the negative reviews for this TV. These are not made up stories ,this TV is defective and you should spend your hard earned money elsewhere.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 14, 2012
The following is the review I tried to put on Samsung's website but didn't meet their "guidelines". The only bright spot in this unpleasent experience was the customer service from Amazon. Absolutly no issues trying to resolve my problems:
"I really wanted to love this TV (UN65ES8000) and am still saddened it didn't work out and in addition, disappointed in Samsung in not posting my first review (perhaps because it's not favorable, but we'll see if this is allowed to get posted). I received the TV, set it up (left it on the stand since the Ultra Slim wall mount screws were not long enough - should have been my first indication this wasn't going to go well) and immediately noticed multiple areas of darkened vertical banding several inches wide. Turned on the Blu-ray, installed new HDMI cables and eventually went to the internal test picture and still saw the issue. System had me contact Customer support. They had me do a hard reset and I still had the issue and they said they need to get a repairman out (brand new TV, mind you). Instead of taking another day off for a repairman for Samsung's "Flagship TV", I contacted the store and had them exchange the TV with the same model. Took an afternoon off for that delivery and had vertical banding on that set also. I again contacted customer service and we went through the same routine and they assured me that this isn't normal and wanted to again schedule a repairman. This is obviously not a PPM issue and can only speculate the Quality Control is lacking or the technology is still not mature and I can't be comfortable that if I eventually do get a set without the banding, I won't have another quality issue early in its life. I was almost willing to live with it because otherwise the TV aesthetics and picture were gorgeous with the exception of that vertical banding. Also, if I'm having this issue with a "high-quality" producer of LCD/LED TV's, what will be my experience with brands like LG or Sharp. Since I've had a good experience with the Sony XBR 55 rear-projection (and still have it), I may wait to get over this unpleasant experience and pay the extra for their XBR series LCD. Sorry Samsung, I really had high hopes."
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations