5.0 out of 5 stars Camera or Phone? It's Both!
Published on April 27, 2009 by SirStinky

1.0 out of 5 stars C905 is better
I decided to try this out because I heard about it, not really impressed and my C905 is more worth my time. it doesn't work well and the quality is just not good, I'm going to return it for the N86.get the Nokia or the C905
Published on October 23, 2009 by Ann M. Foster-prendergast

5.0 out of 5 stars Camera or Phone? It's Both!, April 27, 2009
SirStinky (Vancouver, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung M8800 Pixon Unlocked Phone--International Version with No Warranty (Black) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this as a replacement for my LG KU990R "Viewty." It had a 5 megapixel camera, but the Samsung M8800 "Pixon" has an 8-megapixel camera. The Pixon is the Innov8's sister phone. The Innov8 is a Symbian-type sliding phone, but the Pixon is a full touch screen model. The Pixon has the same 3.2-inch touch screen as the Samsung Behold, Eternity, and Omnia. The screen is responsive, big, and bright. There are just three hard keys, a call send/call log, end/on-off, and a back button in the middle. What makes Samsung's phones unique is their use of the TouchWhiz interface and on-screen application icons called widgets. Samsung's TouchWhiz interface is also found on the Behold, Eternity, Omnia, and F480 "Tocco." There are tons of cool features in here. The phone is built around the camera which is also a very good video camera that shoots 720i HD video. The multimedia player is easy to use and plays MP3's MPEG's, AVI's, WMA's, WMV, WAV, MPEG-4, and DivX files. There are also video and photo-editing programs. The camera takes awesome pictures for a cell phone. Colors are vibrant and realistic, and the LED flash works well up close, but forget about it working in a dark room if your subject is over 3 feet away.

The phone itself is a GSM quad-band phone, so it will work all over the world. It has Edge and 3G 7.2 mb/s HSDPA, but 3G will not work in the USA. I use it on T-Mobile and it works just fine. You'll have to set it up for T-Zones though, and until you do, it will accept text messages, but won't accept multimedia messages and you cannot use T-Zones. Calls come in loud and clear. The speaker phone is great.

People probably want to compare the Pixon to LG's 8-megapixel Renoir. In my opinion, the Pixon is a much better phone. LG tries hard to copy Samsung's TouchWhiz interface and widgets, and does pretty good, but it's not the same. The LG's screen is smaller (3.0 inches), and not as sensitive to touch inputs. The Pixon's camera is also better, but not by much. It's hard to notice the difference, but Samsung's camera does a better job with color reproduction, and the camera interface is much eaiser to use. Texting on the Pixon is also better thanks to a larger computer-like virtual QWERTY keyboard. Overall, both are good phones and cameras, but the Pixon wins the phone war with user-friendliness, functions, and a better camera.

The bad: Despite a 1000mAh battery, this phone uses a lot of juice. It is kind of discomforting seeing the battery indicator going from 5 bars to 3 in just 1 day. Fully charged and occasionally used, the battery will be drained in 2-3 days. My LG Viewty and Motorola E6's batteries lasted much longer, but then again because this phone has a serious camera, in all fairness the battery life is not too bad. Just keep it charged.

Samsung has made a great phone that's also a good camera. As hard as it is to get everything right, Samsung does a pretty good job.

1.0 out of 5 stars C905 is better, October 23, 2009