5.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile Finally Gets a Great Android Phone!
T-mobile, the first carrier to even have an android phone (the G1), blew its lead with the OS on a stream of mediocre handsets. While the other carriers got newer and better devices, T-mobile lagged behind, until now. Finally, at long last, a quality handset has arrived: the Vibrant. With its good looks, blazing fast speed, and quality OS, T-mobile customers can...
Published on July 15, 2010 by diljs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great experience, but a few fatal flaws
The Good:
- Screen: The 800x480 Super AMOLED screen is huge and beautiful.
- Android 2.1: The best mobile OS out there except for Android 2.2, which is promised to be coming to this phone soon.
- Battery Life: My phone would be unplugged from 7am to 10pm every day, with moderate use throughout the day, and would never drop below 40% by the end of the day...
Published on August 20, 2010 by James Jurack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, July 19, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I got my phone on release day from my local T-Mobile store. All I can say is "awesome phone".
Phone runs android 2.1, and it's lightening fast. I have only lost reception once and that was in a known dead spot. I have been with Verizon for about 10 years, but got absolutely fed up with their high prices and poor customer service. Going over to T-Mobile has been a welcome change. On the day this phone came out, I rushed down to the store to check it out. I liked it, liked the open o/s standard of android and was ready to buy. I mentioned to the store manager that I had seen the phone here on Amazon the night before for $149.99 and to my surprise he offered to match the price (something Verizon would have never done...they wouldn't even match their own website's price the last time I renewed my service). The manager went and looked up the Amazon ad for his paperwork and found the price on Amazon had dropped to $99.99. He proceeded to actually mat h the new lower price than what we had agreed upon. All I can say to this is KUDOS T-Mobile!

Pros:
Features are top notch (5/5)
Reception is good (4/5) (only because it loses a bar, sometimes two if you hold it in your left hand...still much better than iPhone's reception)
Internal memory is excellent 16gb (5/5)
Screen is crisp and bright (5/5)
Battery life has been very good so far (5/5)
T-Mobile service is much cheaper than Verizon or AT&T
Processor is extremely fast (5/5)

Cons:
The loss of signal when in left hand

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it so far, July 18, 2010
Jason V (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
The biggest thing that sticks out is the screen. It looks amazing, especially with the live wallpaper. It just makes it that much more fun to play with.

I have not had any issues with the signal, and it actually seems to "respond" to changes (like going in elevators) quicker than my G1.

I do wish it had a LED indicator, but I can live without it. Great phone for this price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoooooah!, July 15, 2010
Carter Hooper (New Orleans, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
The screen....the speed...the Swype! This is one killer...way too much to just call it a phone. Brilliant is the word, T-Mobile's best handset yet. I gave up waiting for Windows Phone 7. This will do me fine. Really, the Swype on this is the absolute easiest to use of any phone I have tried it on. This thing is glorious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken GPS, missing Froyo in 2010, and lack of support equals a complete failure, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Could be very good phone phone but broken GPS, missing Froyo in 2010, and lack of support from Samsung make this phone a complete failure.
JI6 update, released to fix GPS - another failure.
GPS Restore by Samsung blaming consumers for broken GPS while not fixing anything and broken by itself - yet another failure.
Missing, but promised by the end of 2010, Froyo update - lies and failure again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung Vibrant, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I have been with tmobile at least 10 years. No doubt their service is getting better each year as I can see. I was so close to get an iphone 4 even though the antenna problem was only fix by a case they provide. When I see the Samsung Vibrant I was impressed the respond,screen resolution, and the phone's weight.

With Tmobile HSPA+ (They say it is close to 4g speed) is coming up at the end of August, the speed is going to get even more faster. I personally work for a big company as a sale associate and went to a tmobile training. When they showed the JD power and Consumer Report. Tmobile is second behind Verizon. Yes, it is surprised for most of people but it is true. Most of people still have that bad impression about Tmobile like ten years ago when they first came out. Oh wow, for god sake get rid of that idea!!!!! TMobile really changed and catch up really fast.

I showed this phone to people who OWN Iphone 4. They admit that this device is so much better than their phone. Android apps 70 percents are free. HD movies on this device is amazing. The swype makes them say WOW. Seriously, when Im on the bus sit next to the people who has iphone all they do is texting because the internet is slow. When they see my samsung vibrant load a web page no longer than 5 seconds I wonder how they feel.

No regret, get the phone you wont like it you will love it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung and Android Together Delivers the Goods!, August 18, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Close To Perfection as Android Can Get!

I don't understand the big hoopla over the Android OS, but I understand many people want features that are iPhone exclusives without either switching carriers or buying a product made by Apple. Anyways, the Android OS is probably the closest that anyone will get if they want a top notch performing OS, an app store, a web browser that's as good as a PC browser, beautiful threaded text messaging, etc. The Palm Web OS achieved this feat, but unfortunately nobody cared because their phones came in such ugly form factors that were neither attractive nor logical.

The Samsung Vibrant is a stellar phone that comes with a 1GHZ Hummingbird processor that keeps the Android OS running fluid and smooth. I always felt the earlier Android devices were so sluggish and probably needed a 1GHZ processor to keep things from underperforming. The phone is quick and responsive while prior Android OS's had lag time before entering and exiting out of certain features, apps, etc.

I am torn between this phone because I think it truly has some great attributes, but it also has some minor drawbacks that I can overlook. I appreciate that the phone is lightweight, but it's made with a plastic case that can feel very cheap and that's the tradeoff for anyone who is in the market for a smartphone that is lightweight. However, after using it for a few hours I got over this fact and reached a certain point where it wasn't an issue anymore. I never owned a phone with an AMOLED display and I have to say that the screen is truly gorgeous and the colors really POP, but at the same time I didn't notice anything AMAZING or drastic that wasn't found on the same screen for the EVO 4G or the Droid X, but I guess the whole purpose of the AMOLED is to save battery power. Despite the VIBRANT screen I still noticed a few pixilation issues when I was watching Avatar and this is probably not the phones fault and more of the way the movie was formatted. When a DVD is copied, movies usually tend to be over 3GB, so reformatting the movie to fit on a phone usually means condensing the movie below 1GB. I'm sure if the movie was around 2GB that there wouldn't be noticeable pixilations when there was too much action on screen. However, the screen has the ability to almost create a small illusion that the footage is in 3D which i liked. I also tried to play a few YouTube videos in HD and the phone ended freezing several times without the video even loading and so I had to exit out of the YouTube app, but it was unresponsive and took a few seconds before heading back to the home screen. These are just some minor gripes that I had, but the phone is still a winner.

I am not going into a long review about this phone that hasn't already been said, so I am just going straight into the pros and cons below:

Pros:

Huge 4 inch colorful display that is truly VIBRANT
Super AMOLED screen
Live Animated Wall Papers
Threaded Text messaging
Avatar Movie preinstalled
16GB of built in internal memory
Micro SD card slot (Up to 32GB)
3.5MM headphone jack
Many preloaded Apps
Comes with 2 back cases (One Blue and One Purple)
Samsung TouchWiz UI added in
Wi-Fi B/G/N
3G Speeds
5.0 MP Camera/Camcorder
Can record videos in HD format
Micro USB charger
Battery life seemed ok (I haven't encountered any issues yet)
USB Charger
Wall Charger adaptor included
Google Voice Search
Gmail sync
Media Player
Swype Keyboard (LOVE IT)

Cons:

Plastic build can feel a bit cheap
Camera/Camcorder has no Flash
No front facing camera for video conferencing
Camera really should be 10.0 MP at this point

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant indeed!, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This is the first phone of this kind I've ever owned. My previous phone was a simple Nokia that was mostly made to play music in addition to calls. It didn't have a touch-screen, and texting was a pain. Now that I've had my grubby paws on this one for a couple days I find myself wondering how I ever made do with anything less.

This phone is a beauty to behold. The screen simply pops with color and life! Everything is easy to organize and to access, and the screen is almost completely customizable (I still can't figure out how to remove the Google search bar at the top of the main screen). This customization is quite handy since you'll likely end up with tons of apps from the Android store.

The touch screen is nice and sensitive, with a jolly little vibration every time you touch something. This is quite nice and removes any questions about whether or not you've actually pressed a particular button.

The call quality on this phone is quite excellent; much better than what I'm used to. I live in the north end of downtown Phoenix and especially over the last few weeks I've had lots of calls drop with my old phone. With this new one, I haven't had any dropped calls yet.

You also get all the usual functions like you'd expect, such as a decent camera (no flash, though), a voice recorder, speakerphone functionality, email support, etc.

For the more entertainment-minded people out there you'll be happy to know that in addition all the fun Android apps that can be downloaded, there's also a YouTube app that's installed (and works quite well), a copy of the T-Mobile version of "Sims 3" and a copy of the movie "Avatar". You can even download and run Google Earth on it, which is quite fun!

Now one minor problem I will report with it is this: I've had more than a couple times where some app I was running froze and caused the phone to crash. I'm assuming this is just some software error that will be fixed with a later update. It's annoying right now, but not badly so.

I'd also recommend that you get a cover or gel skin for the phone since it's not textured and could easily slip out of your grasp if you aren't careful.

If you're looking for a good phone, this is a good one to get, especially if you can get a deal from T-Mobile. Aside from the minor crash issues, I'm very pleased with it so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Underrated Phone Out Right Now (comments welcome), July 21, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Samsung Vibrant is the most underrated phone out there. Everyone is hyping the iphone 4 and the Droid X, both which have some serious issues. iphone 4 with the obvious antennae issue and droid x with the screen issue. (if you haven't seen it go here: [...].) The Samsung Vibrant is an awesome phone. Its super fast and the SUPER AMOLED screen displays amazing photos and videos. I show friends Avatar every time to best show an example of the screen. Also, I think the camera is pretty good for what features it has. It shoots 720p video which looks amazing! If i wanted a higher megapixel camera i would just use my Cannon. Cell phones don't need to have crazy good megapixel cameras. its a picture on the go not a damn photo shoot. There are a few drawbacks so far that I have seen and that have bugged me but maybe not you. There is no blinking LED light to notify you of a new text or a new email. This kinda bothers me, not sure about other people. Also, sometimes when I click in the text box to write a text message, the keyboard doesn't pop up. It fixes quickly if i turn it to landscape or back out of the messaging app. I don't give a crap about FFC (Front Facing Camera) that everyone seems to be so excited about. That was T-mobiles choice by the way, not samsungs. The technology is to new here in America and i think its pointless anyways, but that's just my opinion. All and All i guess people are complaining about these issues because other phones already have this technology and the Vibrant doesn't and they want it. It's not a deal breaker for me. This phone is totally worth the money and totally underrated.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Terrible Support, December 9, 2010
Dan P. Elder (Redondo Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've had my Vibrant for several months now and while the phone itself is very nice and has an amazing screen, I can't recommend it to anyone as thanks to Samsung, it will obsolete long before most peoples contracts expire. The hardware itself is great, good battery life, great screen, and very slim. The main problem though is that Samsung crippled it with a deliberately bad filesystem (RFS) which makes it laggy at times. They have also failed to update it to the latest version of Android for over 6 months and it took months for them to try out a series of iffy fixes for GPS issues. Now with Gingerbread coming out the Vibrant will be 2 versions of Android behind and Samsung hasn't given any indication that they're interested in updating the Galaxy S line to Gingerbread. It seems they would rather keep forcing you to buy new phones rather than supporting their existing phones so I would recommend sticking with a vendor who will stand by their products and continue to support them throughout the life of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars T-Mobile's Official Superphone, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
First off, let me explain my title. The Vibrant is T-Mobile's official superphone because it is sold at T-Mobile whereas the Nexus One was being sold by Google. There you have it.

Let me start off by saying that I was an early follower of Android with the first T-Mobile G1. Android has definitely come a long way since then, in hardware and software.

I admit, I hated the G1's hardware so I sold it and moved on to the Blackberry Bold. With the Bold, I hated the software but loved the hardware. Unfortunately, my Bold's LCD cracked. I didn't want to purchase another phone yet, I was waiting out on all the new stuff that is suppose to come out such as the G2, Thunder (if it's TMO bound) and etc... I had no choice, I needed a phone so here I am with the Samsung Vibrant.

First, photos of this phone doesn't do this phone justice. I was a little wary at first because it has an iPhonesque shape to it (Maybe that's why they took off the physical home button from our many versions). After seeing it in the store, I fell in love with the phone. The design is wonderful. The phone is very light (actually too light for my taste but that's all about preference). Let's move on to Pros and Cons

Pros

-Nice screen size. 4 inches is perfect. It's not too big or too small.

-Super AMOLED screen is beautiful and must be seen in person. Best screen I ever laid eyes on. If you are considering, go check it out in person. Again, pics and vids doesn't do it justice.

-Android!!!

-Battery not spectacular compared to my Bold but much better than the G1. Should last a good part of the day. (People state that the don't want to turn the brightness down from 100. I have mines on 50 and it's still beautiful, I don't think you need it that bright all day. Get a brightness widget and turn up when you need it)

-Camera. This is a great camera. I told myself that I wouldn't get a phone without flash after the G1 but this Vibrant camera is wonderful. Night mode feature is great and very useful, you wouldn't even think about flash anymore. Trust me, the camera has a lot of useful features and the 720p video recording is awesome.

-1Ghz Hummingbird processor. Very speedy and didn't notice any type of lag whatsoever.

Cons

-I don't like the placement of the Micro USB port on top on the phone. It just seems weird.

-The plastic battery plate. I mean it's nice and comes with a different style spare but seriously? I wished it was metal or something similar.

-Touchwiz UI. I don't like the iphonesque UI here. I wish it was stock Android but we could always change that later on......lol....

There you have it. I recommend this phone, that's why I wrote this review. If not, go into a T-Mobile store, you can buy it and try it for 14 days. You can always return it but with this being their best phone, I don't think you would have a similar alternative if you did exchange it.....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 410 | Next ›