5.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile Finally Gets a Great Android Phone!
T-mobile, the first carrier to even have an android phone (the G1), blew its lead with the OS on a stream of mediocre handsets. While the other carriers got newer and better devices, T-mobile lagged behind, until now. Finally, at long last, a quality handset has arrived: the Vibrant. With its good looks, blazing fast speed, and quality OS, T-mobile customers can...
Published on July 15, 2010 by diljs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great experience, but a few fatal flaws
The Good:
- Screen: The 800x480 Super AMOLED screen is huge and beautiful.
- Android 2.1: The best mobile OS out there except for Android 2.2, which is promised to be coming to this phone soon.
- Battery Life: My phone would be unplugged from 7am to 10pm every day, with moderate use throughout the day, and would never drop below 40% by the end of the day...
Published on August 20, 2010 by James Jurack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars T-Mobile's Official Superphone, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
First off, let me explain my title. The Vibrant is T-Mobile's official superphone because it is sold at T-Mobile whereas the Nexus One was being sold by Google. There you have it.

Let me start off by saying that I was an early follower of Android with the first T-Mobile G1. Android has definitely come a long way since then, in hardware and software.

I admit, I hated the G1's hardware so I sold it and moved on to the Blackberry Bold. With the Bold, I hated the software but loved the hardware. Unfortunately, my Bold's LCD cracked. I didn't want to purchase another phone yet, I was waiting out on all the new stuff that is suppose to come out such as the G2, Thunder (if it's TMO bound) and etc... I had no choice, I needed a phone so here I am with the Samsung Vibrant.

First, photos of this phone doesn't do this phone justice. I was a little wary at first because it has an iPhonesque shape to it (Maybe that's why they took off the physical home button from our many versions). After seeing it in the store, I fell in love with the phone. The design is wonderful. The phone is very light (actually too light for my taste but that's all about preference). Let's move on to Pros and Cons

Pros

-Nice screen size. 4 inches is perfect. It's not too big or too small.

-Super AMOLED screen is beautiful and must be seen in person. Best screen I ever laid eyes on. If you are considering, go check it out in person. Again, pics and vids doesn't do it justice.

-Android!!!

-Battery not spectacular compared to my Bold but much better than the G1. Should last a good part of the day. (People state that the don't want to turn the brightness down from 100. I have mines on 50 and it's still beautiful, I don't think you need it that bright all day. Get a brightness widget and turn up when you need it)

-Camera. This is a great camera. I told myself that I wouldn't get a phone without flash after the G1 but this Vibrant camera is wonderful. Night mode feature is great and very useful, you wouldn't even think about flash anymore. Trust me, the camera has a lot of useful features and the 720p video recording is awesome.

-1Ghz Hummingbird processor. Very speedy and didn't notice any type of lag whatsoever.

Cons

-I don't like the placement of the Micro USB port on top on the phone. It just seems weird.

-The plastic battery plate. I mean it's nice and comes with a different style spare but seriously? I wished it was metal or something similar.

-Touchwiz UI. I don't like the iphonesque UI here. I wish it was stock Android but we could always change that later on......lol....

There you have it. I recommend this phone, that's why I wrote this review. If not, go into a T-Mobile store, you can buy it and try it for 14 days. You can always return it but with this being their best phone, I don't think you would have a similar alternative if you did exchange it.....

5.0 out of 5 stars It's (alsmost) everything you have dreamed of., July 28, 2010
vegasman "Codemusician" (Steubenville, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I have been hitting my very hard since the 14th and I can say that it's a pretty darn good phone. Perfect, no; you won't have any problems deciding to keep it. It might be worth noting that I had a iPhone and chose this over the iPhone.

Here are the Slam-Dunk items:
Display: The best. Really.
CPU: Nearly the best. Really./GPU - makes all the difference!
Storage: 16gb + whatever MicroSD you add. 2GB of app storage. 512MB Ram. Best-in-class.
Battery: Properly configured with moderate use it will run all day without charging.
Video Playback: All of my Non-DRM Handbrake/iPhone videos look better than ever.
Audio: Better EQ and effect options that you could ever hope to have on iPhone though not as loud.
Weight: Feels light in your hand. .5oz lighter than iPhone
Customizable: You can do literally anything to this phone. Thank you T-Mobile and Samsung for easy root access!

Minor Irritations:
Buttons: Excuse me for liking hardware buttons. I miss the ability to answer the phone by pressing an "Answer the Phone" button. Most new phones are going to soft buttons. The MyTouch 3g as bad as it is, has an excellent phone button.
Apps: The standard Android Apps are really quite good. Samsung replaces these with their own with mixed results. Some things are better, but some interactions are actually worse. Fortunately, you can bring back some of them.
The lack of a directional control: The original Galaxy S has a tiny little trackpad, this seems to be missing from all of the carrier versions. This makes tiny textbox edits a bit of a challenge.

Overall, this phone is a world unto itself. It's just so deep, you will never get bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great out of box experience, nasty bug in music player, August 13, 2010
Alan Steele (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
The good:
- Amazon buying and out-of-box experience is fantastic. I was up and running minutes from opening the box. It's way better than going to the store.
- The screen is terrific as advertised, bigger and more colorful than iPhone 4 (though not quite as crisp)
- Calling functions, email, web browsing, wifi, google maps, etc. all work great

The really bad:
- Bought and installed 16GB microSD card, plugged in and loaded about 13GB of music. Immediately ran into a nasty issue in the music player - it barfs on artist sort or when searching, with the error "Not enough space in Music database" . Google that error message and you'll see that I'm hardly the only person having this problem. Some people suggest buying a paid music player from the Android Market, but that sort of misses the point, and from what I can tell there aren't any out there that are functionally equivalent to the built-in player. If you thought this was going to be a good replacement for your 16GB iPod (like I did) then you're in for a disappointment.

Ho hum:
- Camera pretty much useless indoor low light situations (works great outdoors)
- Battery life is pretty crappy (especially for someone coming from non-smartphones that run for a week on a charge). I've already ordered a second power/sync cable to keep one at the office and one at home.
- GPS works outdoors in clear conditions, not so much indoors or in obstructed areas. (haven't tried navigation in car)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, July 17, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for about a day, and so far I love it. Nice big screen, great, responsive, and easy to learn UI. The Android market appears to be pretty good too. Came with an extra (slightly different) battery/back cover and a decent headset.

I had a Nokia E71 previously, and was concerned about the lack of a physical keyboard, but the Vibrant works great (vertical & horizontal on-screen typing and Swype all work great). I have the Vibrant syncing against GMail and my work Exchange account (email and calendar)--both were a snap to setup--and it's nice to be able to see both calendars at the same time on the phone (appointments are different colors).

Only minor complaints so far are that the battery life kind of sucks (which I knew before I purchased) and the web browser sometime crashes (I was using Opera (not Mini) on the E71, but the built-in one for the Vibrant works great). I don't care so much about the battery life because I plan on buying a $5 charger from eBay to leave at work. Oh, and I've heard that some sort of "Task Kill" application for Android phones is a must, so I've taken the advice and downloaded one from the Market...

No regrets with the switch from the E71 or the purchase itself.

** Update: I've had this for about a week now. The battery life actually seems just fine (I was not used to the standards for "smartphones".) eBay has good deals on OEM (Samsung) chargers (car/home).

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, Terrible Support, December 9, 2010
Dan P. Elder (Redondo Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've had my Vibrant for several months now and while the phone itself is very nice and has an amazing screen, I can't recommend it to anyone as thanks to Samsung, it will obsolete long before most peoples contracts expire. The hardware itself is great, good battery life, great screen, and very slim. The main problem though is that Samsung crippled it with a deliberately bad filesystem (RFS) which makes it laggy at times. They have also failed to update it to the latest version of Android for over 6 months and it took months for them to try out a series of iffy fixes for GPS issues. Now with Gingerbread coming out the Vibrant will be 2 versions of Android behind and Samsung hasn't given any indication that they're interested in updating the Galaxy S line to Gingerbread. It seems they would rather keep forcing you to buy new phones rather than supporting their existing phones so I would recommend sticking with a vendor who will stand by their products and continue to support them throughout the life of the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone!, August 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I picked up the phone 4 days ago. I upgraded from the Motorola Cliq (and G1 before that). This is by far the best of the Androids. My biggest fear was going from slide keyboard to all touch screen. I took the quick swype tutorual.....(now I'm saying, "what keyboard?"). I don't miss it at all! The phone is fast and I love the video/movie clarity. The sound is great (with headphones).

I have however had a few problems. The headphones are not good at all for talking. I've tried using them about 5 times and every time, the person on the other end complained that they couldn't hear me (the speaker phone works great though). Also, all of my 300+ contacts copied over from Google when I logged in; however, I can't save any into groups nor can I assign ring tones (the work around T-Mobile gave didn't work). Also, I somehow erased Avatar from my SD card. The process is to have Samsung send a new one.

Overall, there is far more good to this phone than bad. If you're on the fence; buy it! Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bait & Switch?, August 25, 2010
Theresa D. Kroll (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
We discovered Amazon Mobile by accident while gathering information on the Samsung Vibrant model. We are pleased with the technical aspects of the Samsung phones, we ordered two. The reviews and technical descriptions accurately described the phones features and capabilities. Shipping and and starting service with T-Mobile also went well - the folks at T-Mobile were helpful, courteous, and a pleasure to deal with.
In the end however, we are deeply disappointed in Amazon Mobile. While signing up for features for the T-Mobile plan, the billing statement showed a special waiver of the normal $ 35.00 per person activation fee. Well, when the first bill appeared from T-Mobile there was the $ 35.00 activation fee. So this will remain the first and last time to use Amazon Mobile for our family.

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy until Samsung releases Android 2.2/Froyo, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Note: this phone still runs Android 2.1, which is two releases out of date. 2.2 was released in June, 2010 and 2.3 in December 2010. What this means is that much of the most interesting new software does not run on it. Samsung has released 2.2 for it's other Galaxy S phones around the world, but is holding back the release in the US. Until it it is updated it is badly out of date.

If you want a Galaxy S that is up-to-date, buy the Nexus S. It's roughly the same price, runs Android 2.3, has a front-facing camera and other features plus Google directly supports the updates so you don't have to deal with Samsung and T-Mobile (or another carrier) playing games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Phone, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I love it and have enjoyed learning all the new features. Reading all the other comments I noticed the main complaints are the camera and the GPS. Since I already had a digital camera and GPS, I don't need to use those features on the phone so I don't have any complaints. I have become addicted to foursquare and am looking forward to learning more new things about the phone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Responsiveness, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
When I bought this phone, I was very excited to experience the amoled screen, and the snapdragon processor. The Samsung UI and Android OS are nearly incompatible. The responsiveness of the phone is unbelievably slow, programs regularly stop working and need to be forced close (including messaging and contacts). Save yourself the pain, go for an LG or HTC that doesn't have the communication errors associated with this phone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›