5.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile Finally Gets a Great Android Phone!
T-mobile, the first carrier to even have an android phone (the G1), blew its lead with the OS on a stream of mediocre handsets. While the other carriers got newer and better devices, T-mobile lagged behind, until now. Finally, at long last, a quality handset has arrived: the Vibrant. With its good looks, blazing fast speed, and quality OS, T-mobile customers can...
Published on July 15, 2010 by diljs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great experience, but a few fatal flaws
The Good:
- Screen: The 800x480 Super AMOLED screen is huge and beautiful.
- Android 2.1: The best mobile OS out there except for Android 2.2, which is promised to be coming to this phone soon.
- Battery Life: My phone would be unplugged from 7am to 10pm every day, with moderate use throughout the day, and would never drop below 40% by the end of the day...
Published on August 20, 2010 by James Jurack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy until Samsung releases Android 2.2/Froyo, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Note: this phone still runs Android 2.1, which is two releases out of date. 2.2 was released in June, 2010 and 2.3 in December 2010. What this means is that much of the most interesting new software does not run on it. Samsung has released 2.2 for it's other Galaxy S phones around the world, but is holding back the release in the US. Until it it is updated it is badly out of date.

If you want a Galaxy S that is up-to-date, buy the Nexus S. It's roughly the same price, runs Android 2.3, has a front-facing camera and other features plus Google directly supports the updates so you don't have to deal with Samsung and T-Mobile (or another carrier) playing games.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great out of box experience, nasty bug in music player, August 13, 2010
Alan Steele (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
The good:
- Amazon buying and out-of-box experience is fantastic. I was up and running minutes from opening the box. It's way better than going to the store.
- The screen is terrific as advertised, bigger and more colorful than iPhone 4 (though not quite as crisp)
- Calling functions, email, web browsing, wifi, google maps, etc. all work great

The really bad:
- Bought and installed 16GB microSD card, plugged in and loaded about 13GB of music. Immediately ran into a nasty issue in the music player - it barfs on artist sort or when searching, with the error "Not enough space in Music database" . Google that error message and you'll see that I'm hardly the only person having this problem. Some people suggest buying a paid music player from the Android Market, but that sort of misses the point, and from what I can tell there aren't any out there that are functionally equivalent to the built-in player. If you thought this was going to be a good replacement for your 16GB iPod (like I did) then you're in for a disappointment.

Ho hum:
- Camera pretty much useless indoor low light situations (works great outdoors)
- Battery life is pretty crappy (especially for someone coming from non-smartphones that run for a week on a charge). I've already ordered a second power/sync cable to keep one at the office and one at home.
- GPS works outdoors in clear conditions, not so much indoors or in obstructed areas. (haven't tried navigation in car)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone!, August 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I picked up the phone 4 days ago. I upgraded from the Motorola Cliq (and G1 before that). This is by far the best of the Androids. My biggest fear was going from slide keyboard to all touch screen. I took the quick swype tutorual.....(now I'm saying, "what keyboard?"). I don't miss it at all! The phone is fast and I love the video/movie clarity. The sound is great (with headphones).

I have however had a few problems. The headphones are not good at all for talking. I've tried using them about 5 times and every time, the person on the other end complained that they couldn't hear me (the speaker phone works great though). Also, all of my 300+ contacts copied over from Google when I logged in; however, I can't save any into groups nor can I assign ring tones (the work around T-Mobile gave didn't work). Also, I somehow erased Avatar from my SD card. The process is to have Samsung send a new one.

Overall, there is far more good to this phone than bad. If you're on the fence; buy it! Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's (alsmost) everything you have dreamed of., July 28, 2010
vegasman "Codemusician" (Steubenville, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I have been hitting my very hard since the 14th and I can say that it's a pretty darn good phone. Perfect, no; you won't have any problems deciding to keep it. It might be worth noting that I had a iPhone and chose this over the iPhone.

Here are the Slam-Dunk items:
Display: The best. Really.
CPU: Nearly the best. Really./GPU - makes all the difference!
Storage: 16gb + whatever MicroSD you add. 2GB of app storage. 512MB Ram. Best-in-class.
Battery: Properly configured with moderate use it will run all day without charging.
Video Playback: All of my Non-DRM Handbrake/iPhone videos look better than ever.
Audio: Better EQ and effect options that you could ever hope to have on iPhone though not as loud.
Weight: Feels light in your hand. .5oz lighter than iPhone
Customizable: You can do literally anything to this phone. Thank you T-Mobile and Samsung for easy root access!

Minor Irritations:
Buttons: Excuse me for liking hardware buttons. I miss the ability to answer the phone by pressing an "Answer the Phone" button. Most new phones are going to soft buttons. The MyTouch 3g as bad as it is, has an excellent phone button.
Apps: The standard Android Apps are really quite good. Samsung replaces these with their own with mixed results. Some things are better, but some interactions are actually worse. Fortunately, you can bring back some of them.
The lack of a directional control: The original Galaxy S has a tiny little trackpad, this seems to be missing from all of the carrier versions. This makes tiny textbox edits a bit of a challenge.

Overall, this phone is a world unto itself. It's just so deep, you will never get bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phone!, July 17, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for about a day, and so far I love it. Nice big screen, great, responsive, and easy to learn UI. The Android market appears to be pretty good too. Came with an extra (slightly different) battery/back cover and a decent headset.

I had a Nokia E71 previously, and was concerned about the lack of a physical keyboard, but the Vibrant works great (vertical & horizontal on-screen typing and Swype all work great). I have the Vibrant syncing against GMail and my work Exchange account (email and calendar)--both were a snap to setup--and it's nice to be able to see both calendars at the same time on the phone (appointments are different colors).

Only minor complaints so far are that the battery life kind of sucks (which I knew before I purchased) and the web browser sometime crashes (I was using Opera (not Mini) on the E71, but the built-in one for the Vibrant works great). I don't care so much about the battery life because I plan on buying a $5 charger from eBay to leave at work. Oh, and I've heard that some sort of "Task Kill" application for Android phones is a must, so I've taken the advice and downloaded one from the Market...

No regrets with the switch from the E71 or the purchase itself.

** Update: I've had this for about a week now. The battery life actually seems just fine (I was not used to the standards for "smartphones".) eBay has good deals on OEM (Samsung) chargers (car/home).

2.0 out of 5 stars Responsiveness, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
When I bought this phone, I was very excited to experience the amoled screen, and the snapdragon processor. The Samsung UI and Android OS are nearly incompatible. The responsiveness of the phone is unbelievably slow, programs regularly stop working and need to be forced close (including messaging and contacts). Save yourself the pain, go for an LG or HTC that doesn't have the communication errors associated with this phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, May 23, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've had this phone for almost a year and can assure everyone that it is an EXCELLENT phone. The reception, and call quality are good. It is very fast, not laggy, if I remember to clean out my text messages and don't let them build up. The camera and HD video are fantastic and I've used it enough to know. I love the MP3 player, the sound is excellent, with many equalizers and effects, the speakers are loud and have little distortion. I use the apps constantly for email, internet, youtube, facebook, Audible books, Nook books, and Kindle books and music. My kids use it for games constantly. The 16gb internal memory and the external micro SD card slot are holding many, many ebooks, photos, videos, and audible books. The emails aren't kept on the phone, but they could be transferred to memory. Texting is easy with SWIPE, and voice texting is good, google voice, so many other apps are available on the android markete place. This phone has everything. There is now a newer Galexy S 4g with Froyo 2.2. I will get that one later when my contract renews. The battery lasts all day but gets used up when the beautiful 4"amoled screen is on, so I turn down the brightness, and turn off the screen when I don't need it. I love this phone and I highly recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful; upgrade to Froyo (Android 2.2 right away), January 27, 2011
sonnojoi "sonnojoi" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smartphone and it's excellent. The screen is gorgeous, better for watching video than most laptops. The high resolution and contrast compensate for the tiny size. It's also extremely responsive. Swype works beautifully (and I'm someone who never got used to T9). Samsung is still pumping these out with Android 2.1, but Froyo (2.2) is available and apparently much better, so download Samsung's updating software Kies Mini to your computer and use it to update to Froyo right away. Then I recommend grabbing Meridian Media Player to watch your videos. I put in the SIM card from my dying T-Mobile dumbphone and it brought all my contacts along; logging into Android with my gmail account brought in my Google contact information. Bus rides are gonna be a lot more fun from now on. This phone is 3G capable but not 4G, so if you're a heavy data user you might need to keep your home connection or get a newer (less than 6mo!) phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add Android 2.2 for flavor, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
There is nothing that I can add to this review that is not already known by anyone that owns or is thinking about owning a Galaxy S phone or Vibrant specifically. The one thing I can comment on it the fact that T-Mobile and Samsung has released the Android 2.2 OS over mini Kies. This has turn this phone into a monster that rivals everything else on the market. This cures all the aforementioned woes of all the other reviews before mine. Here are a few features added.
Voice commands mainly the Voice to Text feature
Wireless AP turns the phone into a wireless Hotspot
Flash 10.1 for superb web browsing.
Wi-Fi calling
GPS photo tagging (location added to the date and time stamp)

These are a few features added that I can think of off the top of my head. The one gripe I have is the battery life. So rather than complain I found a replacement. Seek out a 3500maH batter and your woes are over. T-mobile and Samsung have renewed my faith in their ability to deliver a phone that goes toe to toe with the best phones on the market, in my opinion win.

3.0 out of 5 stars So close, yet so far, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've owned a Vibrant for about a month now, after owning several other Android devices. At first glance, this seems like a terrific phone - a large, beautiful screen, fast processor, and plenty of onboard storage, before you even get to your SD card. But there are a few things that really mar the experience.

GPS is terrible, even after Samsung's fixes. When using it to locate yourself, it's going to take a lot of patience and luck to get the GPS to locate you. The precision is way off, and this makes a lot of GPS related functionality, such as navigation, very unreliable.

A couple of LED's would have gone a long way on this phone. A front notification LED would have been nice for missed calls, SMS's, or emails. You can install noled from the market to help, but it's a poor solution. A rear LED would have helped with low light photos or videos. The camera is really very good, but the LED would have helped.

Shipping with Android 2.1 and not having 2.2 by today (December 2, 2010) is inexcusable. There is a lot of really neat software that simply won't show up in the market because you're on an outdated operating system.

No navigation pad/trackball - this might be forgiveable if it shipped with 2.2, as it has better support for text selection, but using 2.1 without a navigation aid, when you need to correct one word? Be prepared for a lot of frustration. I'm sure they omitted it to have the clean face presentation of the phone, but it sure is a sacrifice in functionality.

Besides those 4 things, which were really dealbreakers for me, the phone is really nice! I don't care for touchwiz, but that's alleviated by installing another launcher, such as launcher pro. And everything else about the phone is really nice. Just consider what you're getting yourself into, when you're lured in by the big beautiful screen - there are some flaws that really hold this phone back from what it could have been.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 510 | Next ›