5.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile Finally Gets a Great Android Phone!
T-mobile, the first carrier to even have an android phone (the G1), blew its lead with the OS on a stream of mediocre handsets. While the other carriers got newer and better devices, T-mobile lagged behind, until now. Finally, at long last, a quality handset has arrived: the Vibrant. With its good looks, blazing fast speed, and quality OS, T-mobile customers can...
Published on July 15, 2010 by diljs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great experience, but a few fatal flaws
The Good:
- Screen: The 800x480 Super AMOLED screen is huge and beautiful.
- Android 2.1: The best mobile OS out there except for Android 2.2, which is promised to be coming to this phone soon.
- Battery Life: My phone would be unplugged from 7am to 10pm every day, with moderate use throughout the day, and would never drop below 40% by the end of the day...
Published on August 20, 2010 by James Jurack

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful; upgrade to Froyo (Android 2.2 right away), January 27, 2011
sonnojoi "sonnojoi" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smartphone and it's excellent. The screen is gorgeous, better for watching video than most laptops. The high resolution and contrast compensate for the tiny size. It's also extremely responsive. Swype works beautifully (and I'm someone who never got used to T9). Samsung is still pumping these out with Android 2.1, but Froyo (2.2) is available and apparently much better, so download Samsung's updating software Kies Mini to your computer and use it to update to Froyo right away. Then I recommend grabbing Meridian Media Player to watch your videos. I put in the SIM card from my dying T-Mobile dumbphone and it brought all my contacts along; logging into Android with my gmail account brought in my Google contact information. Bus rides are gonna be a lot more fun from now on. This phone is 3G capable but not 4G, so if you're a heavy data user you might need to keep your home connection or get a newer (less than 6mo!) phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add Android 2.2 for flavor, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
There is nothing that I can add to this review that is not already known by anyone that owns or is thinking about owning a Galaxy S phone or Vibrant specifically. The one thing I can comment on it the fact that T-Mobile and Samsung has released the Android 2.2 OS over mini Kies. This has turn this phone into a monster that rivals everything else on the market. This cures all the aforementioned woes of all the other reviews before mine. Here are a few features added.
Voice commands mainly the Voice to Text feature
Wireless AP turns the phone into a wireless Hotspot
Flash 10.1 for superb web browsing.
Wi-Fi calling
GPS photo tagging (location added to the date and time stamp)

These are a few features added that I can think of off the top of my head. The one gripe I have is the battery life. So rather than complain I found a replacement. Seek out a 3500maH batter and your woes are over. T-mobile and Samsung have renewed my faith in their ability to deliver a phone that goes toe to toe with the best phones on the market, in my opinion win.

3.0 out of 5 stars So close, yet so far, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've owned a Vibrant for about a month now, after owning several other Android devices. At first glance, this seems like a terrific phone - a large, beautiful screen, fast processor, and plenty of onboard storage, before you even get to your SD card. But there are a few things that really mar the experience.

GPS is terrible, even after Samsung's fixes. When using it to locate yourself, it's going to take a lot of patience and luck to get the GPS to locate you. The precision is way off, and this makes a lot of GPS related functionality, such as navigation, very unreliable.

A couple of LED's would have gone a long way on this phone. A front notification LED would have been nice for missed calls, SMS's, or emails. You can install noled from the market to help, but it's a poor solution. A rear LED would have helped with low light photos or videos. The camera is really very good, but the LED would have helped.

Shipping with Android 2.1 and not having 2.2 by today (December 2, 2010) is inexcusable. There is a lot of really neat software that simply won't show up in the market because you're on an outdated operating system.

No navigation pad/trackball - this might be forgiveable if it shipped with 2.2, as it has better support for text selection, but using 2.1 without a navigation aid, when you need to correct one word? Be prepared for a lot of frustration. I'm sure they omitted it to have the clean face presentation of the phone, but it sure is a sacrifice in functionality.

Besides those 4 things, which were really dealbreakers for me, the phone is really nice! I don't care for touchwiz, but that's alleviated by installing another launcher, such as launcher pro. And everything else about the phone is really nice. Just consider what you're getting yourself into, when you're lured in by the big beautiful screen - there are some flaws that really hold this phone back from what it could have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone. love it so far., August 12, 2010
H. Sachan (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Samsung Galaxy S (as Samsung Vibrant for T-Mobile)

I have been using Smartphones since a long time and my last device for HTC HD2 was a great `first impression' phone but the fascination died in couple of months. More on that in my HD2 review. Since that experience I was hesitant to buy a similar device with Android OS but so far this device has everything I want and hasn't disappointed me once.

Display: The screen is amazingly clear and crisp. The included movie Avatar does a good job showing off the phone and the screen. No hesitation or flickering or pixilation whatsoever.

Quick and very responsive interface. The device boots up in 30+ seconds but once it's completely up and running (in 60+ seconds) after starting services like media scanner, it is quick in everything you do. Never experienced any lag.

The default buttons on the device bottom (Menu, Home, Back/Return, and Search) are very helpful. Specially in the case where you click on a link from and email and it opens in the browser, you can always click on the back button to go to the email. This is very useful for someone who is used to Windows devices where its difficult to go back to Email app once you open another app. The Back button works on the device across apps. Very cool.

When you are using the phone at night it might be difficult to find those four buttons at the bottom when the back light turns off, but you get used to it and slowly figure out where the buttons will be. Nothing major.

Pictures are very clear and crisp. Even when compared to HD2 in low light, these come out so much better.

Battery is slightly better than HD2 but pretty much at par when using 3G data or videos. It would need daily charging is you use good amount of 3G.

Android marketplace is a plus when compared with Windows Mobile 6.5 devices. But Windows Phone 7 is supposed to change that.

It comes with two back cases, not sure why. But would have preferred a leather or rubber case like HD2.

The T-Mobile version also comes with 16GB installed and 2GB card. The MicroUSB <-> USB cable comes with USB adapter charger so you carry only one cable.

Some issues or nice to have features:
Front camera for video calling would be nice.
No Flash light for the camera. So no flash light app as in HD2.
It comes with many apps which are either just a link or require you to register or will get you to sign-up for a subscription. So be careful about what you sign up for since some of these will give you a month free and then unless you call them, they'll keep charging.

-- After couple of weeks of usage --

Its still a great device so far. Few things worth mentioning:
* Really could use a front facing camera for video calling. The non-US version has one but it was removed for ATT and TMobile in US.
* The camera quality is amazing. Even the various built-in affects like action-shoot, panoramic shots are a great addition where you can shoot a 270 degree pictures and it stitches them all together. I lets you take 8 pictures while guiding you how to move and then creates a wonderful panoramic picture. Amazing.
* Battery life seems much better than that of HTC HD2
* The GPS is flaky. The applications like Four Square don't connect to it well unless you open the Google Navigation first to connect with GPS and then open other apps that use it. Samsung is supposed to come out with an updated software in Sept to fix it. But not a deal breaker.
* Still a great snappy interface.
* Android marketplace has some great free apps, but still not as good as Apple. I'm sure that will change overtime as android marketplace is 'free' as compared to Apple where they take a cut.

Overall, I'll still recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, couple of issues, I can get over them, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
First off, I'm coming from a Blackberry Curve 8320 to this phone. My last upgrade was in September of 2007 when I got the Curve. The 8320 to the Vibrant... hoooooooooly cow. It's amazing.

YAY
* The Super AMOLED screen is simply stunning. It's bright, it's responsive, and the picture quality is stunning.
* Swype's keyboard is great, and pretty fun to use.
* Android is great, a huge leap forward from the BB OS I was using before.
* The App Market has a ton of great free apps that makes the using the phone a blast.
* So much quicker than my previous phone... and so much more fun to use than BB OS.
* T-Mo's 3G network is a big leap forward in speed over EDGE. Really handy apps like Google Maps work so much better.

BOO
* I knew battery life wasn't going to be all that spectacular, but today I woke up at 8:30am and my phone was dead by 6:30pm. The screen is a battery drainer. I probably just need to get used to having to keep charging it.
* The Yahoo Mail app constantly crashes/freezes on me, and Android's default mail app doesn't seem to work well will with Yahoo.
* Using Advanced Task Killer helps to keep open apps to a minimum, but sometimes there's like 10-15 open apps that I never opened. Some, like [...] Mobile, I have no idea why they're open.
* Some apps like AllShare, Audio Postcard, GoGo, and others came pre-installed and I can't remove them. I doubt they take up much space, but still... annoying.
* Using the features like wireless or GPS are huge battery drains. Again, it's probably just something I have to get used to.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this phone to anyone on the market looking for a T-Mo smartphone. Just be prepared to keep a charger handy for home, work, car, etc. Also, T-Mo's 3G network sometimes has trouble inside buildings. I'm curious to see what kind of reception I get at my office tomorrow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Major Features and Benefits override the few minor inconveniences, August 25, 2010
Derek Hoffman (Kansas CIty, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
By Far, this has been the most advanced phone to rival the iPhone without having to deal with AT&T's crappy service or jailbreak an iPhone. Everything is great, but instead of repeating all the awesome things all the other reviewers posted, here are the short list of (my) negatives:

1. Unlock Screen button seems inconveniently placed and then requires you to swipe the screen to continue to unlock - seems like an unnecessary step.
2. Locked (lit) screen doesn't show battery level - My old G1 and Motorola Cliq showed % of battery power left
3. Mini USB Charger is located on the top. I continually pick the phone up while charging and just assume the USB port should be on the bottom, like nearly all other phones/MP3 players.
4. Contacts don't allow you to keep multiple numbers for the same person under one profile.

That's it... I'm a picky person so little things get to me, but EVERYTHING else on the phone is FANTASTIC... enjoy!

(T-Mobile review - their customer service is going to pots with this required data package tied TO the phone line - they are trying to keep everyone from sharing upgrades which is going to cause me to leave them if they don't get rid of that policy by the end of my contract)

4.0 out of 5 stars My first smart phone !!!, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I am upgrading from the Samsung Behold and the Vibrant is my first smart phone, I've only had it a week and I am very impressed with it so far The speed is as amazing as is the color screen. I do have a couple of cons but they aren't Deal breakers. What I would have liked was if the message notification alerts could ring out more than once so that you would know if you missed a call or message. (I don't really need a LED light but more than one ring would be nice considering that you are paying so much for the phone)Battery life isn't that great but I think once I stop playing with the phone so much I'm sure it will get better. All in All I think it is the best phone that T-mobile has out at the moment, but give me a few weeks and I'll let you know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous potential but wasted by lack of support from Samsung., January 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This phone had great potential at the release time but as it turns out, it was wasted by some fatal flaws:

1) GPS on this phone is just plain broken. It functions very poorly. Samsung has tried to fix this with software update and by releasing an application but both attempts failed which can only mean that the GPS hardware is broken on this phone. It is just plain frustrating to use it and it is completely unreliable.

2) Phone was released with mid-June last year with Android version 2.1 with a statement from Samsung that it will soon be updated to the then newest Android version 2.2 bringing with it some new exciting features. It is now over 6 months later and Samsung has failed to update the phone to the promised version 2.2 of Android. Meanwhile Android 2.3 came out and Samsung has released a new phone with OS 2.3 on it. They are also about to release a slightly updated version of Vibrant with OS 2.2 on it while still not making update to this older version available to its customers. Samsung clearly wants its customers to get the latest software by buying their newest hardware - this is just horrible support to their existing customers.

Do not buy this or other Samsung phones if you care about keeping your phone up to date with new Android features. Samsung is now notorious about not supporting their smartphones - Behold II was never updated past Android 1.6 despite promises from Samsung either. Buy HTC Android phones instead as that company has a much better track record with keeping their products updated with newest features.

You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone available on T-mobile right now!!!, December 16, 2010
Jack Bean (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I went to the T-moble store and read extensive reviews before purchasing my phone. This is by far the best phone on t-mobile. I am stressing this because T-mobile has the best rates among major carriers and allows you to take $10 internet plan instead of $30 for other carriers.
Anyway, regarding the phone itself, it is simply great if you compare it to other newer phones like my touch and G2. This is because all android phones are not the same.

Pros:

1. Swype is available on this phone and this makes a huge difference. After a couple of hours with the phone, I was able to type really fast. This makes everything from texting to online searches that much quicker.
2. 4 inch AMOLED screen (see it to believe)- only iphone 4 has a screen of comparable resolution.
3. Android - right now only android and iOS has a decent App store

Cons:

1. No flash
2. The screen produces finger prints easily

Overall. Great phone. Buy it if like T-mobile and you would not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with this phone, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is fantastic. My last phone was an Iphone 2 on Tmobile. I have now switched to Tmobile Walmart Family and purchased this phone to use on the plan.

Pros:
*Slick and thin and lightweight
*Came with Avatar the movie (which looks fabulous)
*Came with Sims3 the game
*Super Fast processor
*Almost unlimited features (I seem to find more things almost every week that I didnt realize were available to me before)
*Beautiful Display
*Many Apps
*Great Camera. Camera lacks flash but has many modes/settings to compensate.
*Touch screen is very receptive (comparing to Cliq Qt)
*Love Android vs Iphones stupid ass propriatry software and having to deal with stupid Itunes deleting my music and uploading problems.
*Loud speaker (although it's located on the back so if youre holding it wrong youd actually lessen the sound coming out but if you cup your hand behind it it amplifies it more..

Cons:
*Battery meter is inaccurate. When it appears to be at 50% it's actually closer to 20-30 in settings.
*Battery life is short. With wifi turned on and heavy to moderate use it will barely last all day. However it lasts a while as far as calls go (I usually use a headset or bluetooth) and lasts a good 4-5 hours of streaming I heart radio via headset. I can be on the phone for an hour and a half and listen to iheart radio for 3 or 4 hours and the battery would be at about 30-40%.
*No camera flash, however, it takes great pictures anyway. Ive played with the Samsung galaxies that have flash and the pictures arent that much better. Taking pictures in a semi dark room is pretty much useless though.
*The puzzle piece screen is cute but seems that I cant have that and the unlocking grid at the same time??..Like I can have one or the other I'd like to have the puzzle screen and then have the password grid come up to unlock..
*No notification lights on the outside. I have to open the screen to see if there are any missed calls etc. (Iphone didnt have this either)
*No quick silence button on the side, screen has to be turned on to silence. No camera button either.
*Cant take pictures during a call with the standard camera, works with market fxcamera though. Not sure if that was because I was on bluetooth or what.
*There's no way to be able to put the cursor between letters like how the iphone has the magnifying glass thing that helps you put the cursor in a specific spot. It helps if you hold the phone horizontally and that makes it a lot easier to put the cursor where you need it. Hope upgrade fixes this...
This looks like quite a list of cons but the quality of this phone outweigh the negatives. I cannot fathom having to go back to my iphone. This phone is fun to play with, go on the internet on, watch videos on, play games on, and just about everything else. This phone is just as good as the iphone 4 if not better (not having to deal with Itunes) soo glad I got it.

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›