5.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile Finally Gets a Great Android Phone!
T-mobile, the first carrier to even have an android phone (the G1), blew its lead with the OS on a stream of mediocre handsets. While the other carriers got newer and better devices, T-mobile lagged behind, until now. Finally, at long last, a quality handset has arrived: the Vibrant. With its good looks, blazing fast speed, and quality OS, T-mobile customers can...
Published on July 15, 2010 by diljs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great experience, but a few fatal flaws
The Good:
- Screen: The 800x480 Super AMOLED screen is huge and beautiful.
- Android 2.1: The best mobile OS out there except for Android 2.2, which is promised to be coming to this phone soon.
- Battery Life: My phone would be unplugged from 7am to 10pm every day, with moderate use throughout the day, and would never drop below 40% by the end of the day...
Published on August 20, 2010 by James Jurack

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Bait & Switch?, August 25, 2010
Theresa D. Kroll (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
We discovered Amazon Mobile by accident while gathering information on the Samsung Vibrant model. We are pleased with the technical aspects of the Samsung phones, we ordered two. The reviews and technical descriptions accurately described the phones features and capabilities. Shipping and and starting service with T-Mobile also went well - the folks at T-Mobile were helpful, courteous, and a pleasure to deal with.
In the end however, we are deeply disappointed in Amazon Mobile. While signing up for features for the T-Mobile plan, the billing statement showed a special waiver of the normal $ 35.00 per person activation fee. Well, when the first bill appeared from T-Mobile there was the $ 35.00 activation fee. So this will remain the first and last time to use Amazon Mobile for our family.

3.0 out of 5 stars I really want to love this phone, but..., August 23, 2010
Willie B. (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
When my G1 died, I upgraded to the Vibrant. The honeymoon was short, but breathtaking. Slim, light, big and brilliant AMOLED screen, fast, seven home screens, Bluetooth stereo, a virtual keypad that made me forget the G1's slider, and Swipe! I had doubts about Swipe, but I quickly got the hang of it. You gotta try this!

The Vibrant promises to be all that a smartphone can be wrapped in a stylish and comfortable package. Memory, both on-board and flashcard, is staggeringly huge. Running a lot of background apps doesn't seem to slow it down. Coverage where I live and travel is good, but the G1 seemed to have a better antenna.

Problems surfaced. Battery life running background apps is a disappointment. I installed System Panel and now monitor and kill some apps when working unplugged. I tried to use GPS without success. Several reviews noted the same thing, along with magnetic compass problems. There's a fix promised with the release of 2.2 next month. Mounting the phone via USB to my PC is a nightmare. It seems confused about whether it's connected to a computer when I plug in the charger, resulting in aberrant touch screen behavior and a constantly flashing message, "USB connected" whether the phone is plugged into anything. Turning off the screen sends it into a coma requiring roboot. I need to call customer service to work this one out.

The docking accessories announced by Samsung earlier this month are unavailable. Production problems? Last-minute bugs? Vaporware?

So the jury is still out. I hope I can revise this review up to what should be an unqualified 5 stars. All things considered, I really want to love this phone, and as the man says, "Love is patient..." Up to a point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Phone, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I love it and have enjoyed learning all the new features. Reading all the other comments I noticed the main complaints are the camera and the GPS. Since I already had a digital camera and GPS, I don't need to use those features on the phone so I don't have any complaints. I have become addicted to foursquare and am looking forward to learning more new things about the phone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous potential but wasted by lack of support from Samsung., January 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This phone had great potential at the release time but as it turns out, it was wasted by some fatal flaws:

1) GPS on this phone is just plain broken. It functions very poorly. Samsung has tried to fix this with software update and by releasing an application but both attempts failed which can only mean that the GPS hardware is broken on this phone. It is just plain frustrating to use it and it is completely unreliable.

2) Phone was released with mid-June last year with Android version 2.1 with a statement from Samsung that it will soon be updated to the then newest Android version 2.2 bringing with it some new exciting features. It is now over 6 months later and Samsung has failed to update the phone to the promised version 2.2 of Android. Meanwhile Android 2.3 came out and Samsung has released a new phone with OS 2.3 on it. They are also about to release a slightly updated version of Vibrant with OS 2.2 on it while still not making update to this older version available to its customers. Samsung clearly wants its customers to get the latest software by buying their newest hardware - this is just horrible support to their existing customers.

Do not buy this or other Samsung phones if you care about keeping your phone up to date with new Android features. Samsung is now notorious about not supporting their smartphones - Behold II was never updated past Android 1.6 despite promises from Samsung either. Buy HTC Android phones instead as that company has a much better track record with keeping their products updated with newest features.

You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best phone available on T-mobile right now!!!, December 16, 2010
Jack Bean (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I went to the T-moble store and read extensive reviews before purchasing my phone. This is by far the best phone on t-mobile. I am stressing this because T-mobile has the best rates among major carriers and allows you to take $10 internet plan instead of $30 for other carriers.
Anyway, regarding the phone itself, it is simply great if you compare it to other newer phones like my touch and G2. This is because all android phones are not the same.

Pros:

1. Swype is available on this phone and this makes a huge difference. After a couple of hours with the phone, I was able to type really fast. This makes everything from texting to online searches that much quicker.
2. 4 inch AMOLED screen (see it to believe)- only iphone 4 has a screen of comparable resolution.
3. Android - right now only android and iOS has a decent App store

Cons:

1. No flash
2. The screen produces finger prints easily

Overall. Great phone. Buy it if like T-mobile and you would not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love with this phone, December 12, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This phone is fantastic. My last phone was an Iphone 2 on Tmobile. I have now switched to Tmobile Walmart Family and purchased this phone to use on the plan.

Pros:
*Slick and thin and lightweight
*Came with Avatar the movie (which looks fabulous)
*Came with Sims3 the game
*Super Fast processor
*Almost unlimited features (I seem to find more things almost every week that I didnt realize were available to me before)
*Beautiful Display
*Many Apps
*Great Camera. Camera lacks flash but has many modes/settings to compensate.
*Touch screen is very receptive (comparing to Cliq Qt)
*Love Android vs Iphones stupid ass propriatry software and having to deal with stupid Itunes deleting my music and uploading problems.
*Loud speaker (although it's located on the back so if youre holding it wrong youd actually lessen the sound coming out but if you cup your hand behind it it amplifies it more..

Cons:
*Battery meter is inaccurate. When it appears to be at 50% it's actually closer to 20-30 in settings.
*Battery life is short. With wifi turned on and heavy to moderate use it will barely last all day. However it lasts a while as far as calls go (I usually use a headset or bluetooth) and lasts a good 4-5 hours of streaming I heart radio via headset. I can be on the phone for an hour and a half and listen to iheart radio for 3 or 4 hours and the battery would be at about 30-40%.
*No camera flash, however, it takes great pictures anyway. Ive played with the Samsung galaxies that have flash and the pictures arent that much better. Taking pictures in a semi dark room is pretty much useless though.
*The puzzle piece screen is cute but seems that I cant have that and the unlocking grid at the same time??..Like I can have one or the other I'd like to have the puzzle screen and then have the password grid come up to unlock..
*No notification lights on the outside. I have to open the screen to see if there are any missed calls etc. (Iphone didnt have this either)
*No quick silence button on the side, screen has to be turned on to silence. No camera button either.
*Cant take pictures during a call with the standard camera, works with market fxcamera though. Not sure if that was because I was on bluetooth or what.
*There's no way to be able to put the cursor between letters like how the iphone has the magnifying glass thing that helps you put the cursor in a specific spot. It helps if you hold the phone horizontally and that makes it a lot easier to put the cursor where you need it. Hope upgrade fixes this...
This looks like quite a list of cons but the quality of this phone outweigh the negatives. I cannot fathom having to go back to my iphone. This phone is fun to play with, go on the internet on, watch videos on, play games on, and just about everything else. This phone is just as good as the iphone 4 if not better (not having to deal with Itunes) soo glad I got it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent screen, fair software, December 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Pros: great screen, colors, movies play excellent. Very good software preloaded. Sound quality, TV out works good (buy the inexpensive connectors). Bluetooth good to connect to my car; however file transfer to computer was unable to occur. Call quality. TM apps ok.
Cons: Calendar program is subpar for business use. Touchdown product(paid version)ok but industry not yet at MS level. Battery life...don't be far from outlet. Use app killer to help. Unable to use overseas! I went to Scotland where TMo is carrier and took to store to get SIM and was told it would not work as my phone configured only for US. So you CAN use it overseas but would have to pay huge expensive plan.
Suggestions: Ability to hit dialer and have speed dail numbers pictured instead of having to pull up the speed dail function (three clicks!!!)
You cannot delete the preloaded apps even if you won't use them. Come on TMo, fix this.
I would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Device, November 9, 2010
Bob Whitley "Bob" (San luis obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Since i have been using Windows Mobile devices for years i was reluctant to buy a phone with a different OS but now that i have seen just how wonderful Android is i am very happy that i made the switch.First of all the Samsung Vibrant is one of the most powerful phones on the market today,it has a 1Ghz Hummingbird processor,512MB of Ram and enough graphics processing power to let you play a game like Quake 3 with ease.You really need to use the phone yourself to see how beautiful games and movies look on the Vibrants display,the videos on Youtube don't do it justice.The one thing i did not look forward to was using a touchscreen to type since i was used to a physical qwerty keypad but after about an hour using the on screen keys it became second nature to use.As for navigating through the menus all you do is give a gentle swipe with your finger or thumb and that's it,simple,no problems with response time,no annoying slowdown,hands down the most hassle free way to navigate a mobile device.As for the sound and call quality everything is clear,both the front and rear speaker do their job well,i just wish the rear speaker was a little louder,but this is a minor complaint.While using the Vibrant to make calls i found that the signal was strong,people i talked to said they could hear me fine and they also came in loud and clear.If you're in a 3G area you will find web pages load in seconds but if you're not you would be better served by using the WiFi feature,the only downside of this is that WiFi drains the battery fast so only use it when you have to.Speaking of the battery it lasts quite a long time even when using 3G data,playing games or watching movies for hours on end.I have only used the gps navigation service twice so far but i can say it is very accurate,i got to my destination with no problems whatsoever.There is a camera on the back of the Vibrant that takes photos and records videos which look very nice even when displayed on an HDTV.The one major issue i worried about coming from a Windows Mobile device was losing all those apps i have become so fond of such as Coreplayer,my fear was unfounded for the most part,even though Coreplayer isn't out for Android yet.Documents To Go,Slick Messenger,Skype and tons of other great apps are available now and work just as well (if not better) on the Android OS.If you like to use your device as a music player and load it up with Mp3's you will fall in love with this thing,not only does it have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack but it also has 16GB of internal storage,of course a lot of this storage is used for other things but no worries,you can pop in a 16GB or 32GB Micro SD card and you're set.I have not even talked about the other outstanding feature of the Vibrant,it has video/audio out via the 3.5mm jack!You can buy some cheap cables right here on Amazon and have your phones HD display on your tv,this is a feature that should be standard on all future smartphones.I could go on and on about how this thing will change your life but all that's left to say is give it a try and i bet you will love it.Enjoy :)

Update: 2-17-2011

After having this phone for a few months i have decided to return it.After getting the Android 2.2 Froyo update the phones battery life was cut in half and many apps now force close at least once a day,this phone really can't handle Froyo well but that's only one of the problems i have run into.The fact that it has no front facing camera makes it impossible to do video chat over WiFi without constantly turning phone around so other person can see me,the back of the device gets very hot at times especially when playing 3D games,the GPS works great at times and then says you're over a mile from where you really are!I know for a fact that this is not due to weak signal since the person with me used another phone on same network with the same app and had no Gps problems.

Bottom line is that the Vibrants hardware flaws keep it from being the device it could have been.I still like the Android OS,Froyo is very slick but you will be better served using it on another device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone!!!!, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I just switched from a Motorola Cliq to this phone, and shortly before that I had the G1. It is like night and day. I thought I wouldn't get used to not having an actual keyboard to use. But I can text even faster with the Samsung. To be short and to the point, this phone is perfect. The battery usually lasts a whole day, the reception is no different than every other phone I have ever had. I NEVER drop calls or lose internet connection. The GPS is okay (I have a garmin, so this is not a necessity for me anyway), and all of the apps work great. Going online is faster than my laptop most of the time. I have NO complaints about this phone. I have used my friends' iphones, and this phone is far better.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first smart phone !!!, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I am upgrading from the Samsung Behold and the Vibrant is my first smart phone, I've only had it a week and I am very impressed with it so far The speed is as amazing as is the color screen. I do have a couple of cons but they aren't Deal breakers. What I would have liked was if the message notification alerts could ring out more than once so that you would know if you missed a call or message. (I don't really need a LED light but more than one ring would be nice considering that you are paying so much for the phone)Battery life isn't that great but I think once I stop playing with the phone so much I'm sure it will get better. All in All I think it is the best phone that T-mobile has out at the moment, but give me a few weeks and I'll let you know.

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›