5.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile Finally Gets a Great Android Phone!
T-mobile, the first carrier to even have an android phone (the G1), blew its lead with the OS on a stream of mediocre handsets. While the other carriers got newer and better devices, T-mobile lagged behind, until now. Finally, at long last, a quality handset has arrived: the Vibrant. With its good looks, blazing fast speed, and quality OS, T-mobile customers can...
Published on July 15, 2010 by diljs

3.0 out of 5 stars Great experience, but a few fatal flaws
The Good:
- Screen: The 800x480 Super AMOLED screen is huge and beautiful.
- Android 2.1: The best mobile OS out there except for Android 2.2, which is promised to be coming to this phone soon.
- Battery Life: My phone would be unplugged from 7am to 10pm every day, with moderate use throughout the day, and would never drop below 40% by the end of the day...
Published on August 20, 2010 by James Jurack

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful; upgrade to Froyo (Android 2.2 right away), January 27, 2011
sonnojoi "sonnojoi" (Minneapolis, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This is my first smartphone and it's excellent. The screen is gorgeous, better for watching video than most laptops. The high resolution and contrast compensate for the tiny size. It's also extremely responsive. Swype works beautifully (and I'm someone who never got used to T9). Samsung is still pumping these out with Android 2.1, but Froyo (2.2) is available and apparently much better, so download Samsung's updating software Kies Mini to your computer and use it to update to Froyo right away. Then I recommend grabbing Meridian Media Player to watch your videos. I put in the SIM card from my dying T-Mobile dumbphone and it brought all my contacts along; logging into Android with my gmail account brought in my Google contact information. Bus rides are gonna be a lot more fun from now on. This phone is 3G capable but not 4G, so if you're a heavy data user you might need to keep your home connection or get a newer (less than 6mo!) phone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Add Android 2.2 for flavor, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
There is nothing that I can add to this review that is not already known by anyone that owns or is thinking about owning a Galaxy S phone or Vibrant specifically. The one thing I can comment on it the fact that T-Mobile and Samsung has released the Android 2.2 OS over mini Kies. This has turn this phone into a monster that rivals everything else on the market. This cures all the aforementioned woes of all the other reviews before mine. Here are a few features added.
Voice commands mainly the Voice to Text feature
Wireless AP turns the phone into a wireless Hotspot
Flash 10.1 for superb web browsing.
Wi-Fi calling
GPS photo tagging (location added to the date and time stamp)

These are a few features added that I can think of off the top of my head. The one gripe I have is the battery life. So rather than complain I found a replacement. Seek out a 3500maH batter and your woes are over. T-mobile and Samsung have renewed my faith in their ability to deliver a phone that goes toe to toe with the best phones on the market, in my opinion win.

3.0 out of 5 stars So close, yet so far, December 2, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I've owned a Vibrant for about a month now, after owning several other Android devices. At first glance, this seems like a terrific phone - a large, beautiful screen, fast processor, and plenty of onboard storage, before you even get to your SD card. But there are a few things that really mar the experience.

GPS is terrible, even after Samsung's fixes. When using it to locate yourself, it's going to take a lot of patience and luck to get the GPS to locate you. The precision is way off, and this makes a lot of GPS related functionality, such as navigation, very unreliable.

A couple of LED's would have gone a long way on this phone. A front notification LED would have been nice for missed calls, SMS's, or emails. You can install noled from the market to help, but it's a poor solution. A rear LED would have helped with low light photos or videos. The camera is really very good, but the LED would have helped.

Shipping with Android 2.1 and not having 2.2 by today (December 2, 2010) is inexcusable. There is a lot of really neat software that simply won't show up in the market because you're on an outdated operating system.

No navigation pad/trackball - this might be forgiveable if it shipped with 2.2, as it has better support for text selection, but using 2.1 without a navigation aid, when you need to correct one word? Be prepared for a lot of frustration. I'm sure they omitted it to have the clean face presentation of the phone, but it sure is a sacrifice in functionality.

Besides those 4 things, which were really dealbreakers for me, the phone is really nice! I don't care for touchwiz, but that's alleviated by installing another launcher, such as launcher pro. And everything else about the phone is really nice. Just consider what you're getting yourself into, when you're lured in by the big beautiful screen - there are some flaws that really hold this phone back from what it could have been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Device, November 9, 2010
Bob Whitley "Bob" (San luis obispo, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Since i have been using Windows Mobile devices for years i was reluctant to buy a phone with a different OS but now that i have seen just how wonderful Android is i am very happy that i made the switch.First of all the Samsung Vibrant is one of the most powerful phones on the market today,it has a 1Ghz Hummingbird processor,512MB of Ram and enough graphics processing power to let you play a game like Quake 3 with ease.You really need to use the phone yourself to see how beautiful games and movies look on the Vibrants display,the videos on Youtube don't do it justice.The one thing i did not look forward to was using a touchscreen to type since i was used to a physical qwerty keypad but after about an hour using the on screen keys it became second nature to use.As for navigating through the menus all you do is give a gentle swipe with your finger or thumb and that's it,simple,no problems with response time,no annoying slowdown,hands down the most hassle free way to navigate a mobile device.As for the sound and call quality everything is clear,both the front and rear speaker do their job well,i just wish the rear speaker was a little louder,but this is a minor complaint.While using the Vibrant to make calls i found that the signal was strong,people i talked to said they could hear me fine and they also came in loud and clear.If you're in a 3G area you will find web pages load in seconds but if you're not you would be better served by using the WiFi feature,the only downside of this is that WiFi drains the battery fast so only use it when you have to.Speaking of the battery it lasts quite a long time even when using 3G data,playing games or watching movies for hours on end.I have only used the gps navigation service twice so far but i can say it is very accurate,i got to my destination with no problems whatsoever.There is a camera on the back of the Vibrant that takes photos and records videos which look very nice even when displayed on an HDTV.The one major issue i worried about coming from a Windows Mobile device was losing all those apps i have become so fond of such as Coreplayer,my fear was unfounded for the most part,even though Coreplayer isn't out for Android yet.Documents To Go,Slick Messenger,Skype and tons of other great apps are available now and work just as well (if not better) on the Android OS.If you like to use your device as a music player and load it up with Mp3's you will fall in love with this thing,not only does it have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack but it also has 16GB of internal storage,of course a lot of this storage is used for other things but no worries,you can pop in a 16GB or 32GB Micro SD card and you're set.I have not even talked about the other outstanding feature of the Vibrant,it has video/audio out via the 3.5mm jack!You can buy some cheap cables right here on Amazon and have your phones HD display on your tv,this is a feature that should be standard on all future smartphones.I could go on and on about how this thing will change your life but all that's left to say is give it a try and i bet you will love it.Enjoy :)

Update: 2-17-2011

After having this phone for a few months i have decided to return it.After getting the Android 2.2 Froyo update the phones battery life was cut in half and many apps now force close at least once a day,this phone really can't handle Froyo well but that's only one of the problems i have run into.The fact that it has no front facing camera makes it impossible to do video chat over WiFi without constantly turning phone around so other person can see me,the back of the device gets very hot at times especially when playing 3D games,the GPS works great at times and then says you're over a mile from where you really are!I know for a fact that this is not due to weak signal since the person with me used another phone on same network with the same app and had no Gps problems.

Bottom line is that the Vibrants hardware flaws keep it from being the device it could have been.I still like the Android OS,Froyo is very slick but you will be better served using it on another device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone. love it so far., August 12, 2010
H. Sachan (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
Samsung Galaxy S (as Samsung Vibrant for T-Mobile)

I have been using Smartphones since a long time and my last device for HTC HD2 was a great `first impression' phone but the fascination died in couple of months. More on that in my HD2 review. Since that experience I was hesitant to buy a similar device with Android OS but so far this device has everything I want and hasn't disappointed me once.

Display: The screen is amazingly clear and crisp. The included movie Avatar does a good job showing off the phone and the screen. No hesitation or flickering or pixilation whatsoever.

Quick and very responsive interface. The device boots up in 30+ seconds but once it's completely up and running (in 60+ seconds) after starting services like media scanner, it is quick in everything you do. Never experienced any lag.

The default buttons on the device bottom (Menu, Home, Back/Return, and Search) are very helpful. Specially in the case where you click on a link from and email and it opens in the browser, you can always click on the back button to go to the email. This is very useful for someone who is used to Windows devices where its difficult to go back to Email app once you open another app. The Back button works on the device across apps. Very cool.

When you are using the phone at night it might be difficult to find those four buttons at the bottom when the back light turns off, but you get used to it and slowly figure out where the buttons will be. Nothing major.

Pictures are very clear and crisp. Even when compared to HD2 in low light, these come out so much better.

Battery is slightly better than HD2 but pretty much at par when using 3G data or videos. It would need daily charging is you use good amount of 3G.

Android marketplace is a plus when compared with Windows Mobile 6.5 devices. But Windows Phone 7 is supposed to change that.

It comes with two back cases, not sure why. But would have preferred a leather or rubber case like HD2.

The T-Mobile version also comes with 16GB installed and 2GB card. The MicroUSB <-> USB cable comes with USB adapter charger so you carry only one cable.

Some issues or nice to have features:
Front camera for video calling would be nice.
No Flash light for the camera. So no flash light app as in HD2.
It comes with many apps which are either just a link or require you to register or will get you to sign-up for a subscription. So be careful about what you sign up for since some of these will give you a month free and then unless you call them, they'll keep charging.

-- After couple of weeks of usage --

Its still a great device so far. Few things worth mentioning:
* Really could use a front facing camera for video calling. The non-US version has one but it was removed for ATT and TMobile in US.
* The camera quality is amazing. Even the various built-in affects like action-shoot, panoramic shots are a great addition where you can shoot a 270 degree pictures and it stitches them all together. I lets you take 8 pictures while guiding you how to move and then creates a wonderful panoramic picture. Amazing.
* Battery life seems much better than that of HTC HD2
* The GPS is flaky. The applications like Four Square don't connect to it well unless you open the Google Navigation first to connect with GPS and then open other apps that use it. Samsung is supposed to come out with an updated software in Sept to fix it. But not a deal breaker.
* Still a great snappy interface.
* Android marketplace has some great free apps, but still not as good as Apple. I'm sure that will change overtime as android marketplace is 'free' as compared to Apple where they take a cut.

Overall, I'll still recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, couple of issues, I can get over them, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
First off, I'm coming from a Blackberry Curve 8320 to this phone. My last upgrade was in September of 2007 when I got the Curve. The 8320 to the Vibrant... hoooooooooly cow. It's amazing.

YAY
* The Super AMOLED screen is simply stunning. It's bright, it's responsive, and the picture quality is stunning.
* Swype's keyboard is great, and pretty fun to use.
* Android is great, a huge leap forward from the BB OS I was using before.
* The App Market has a ton of great free apps that makes the using the phone a blast.
* So much quicker than my previous phone... and so much more fun to use than BB OS.
* T-Mo's 3G network is a big leap forward in speed over EDGE. Really handy apps like Google Maps work so much better.

BOO
* I knew battery life wasn't going to be all that spectacular, but today I woke up at 8:30am and my phone was dead by 6:30pm. The screen is a battery drainer. I probably just need to get used to having to keep charging it.
* The Yahoo Mail app constantly crashes/freezes on me, and Android's default mail app doesn't seem to work well will with Yahoo.
* Using Advanced Task Killer helps to keep open apps to a minimum, but sometimes there's like 10-15 open apps that I never opened. Some, like [...] Mobile, I have no idea why they're open.
* Some apps like AllShare, Audio Postcard, GoGo, and others came pre-installed and I can't remove them. I doubt they take up much space, but still... annoying.
* Using the features like wireless or GPS are huge battery drains. Again, it's probably just something I have to get used to.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this phone to anyone on the market looking for a T-Mo smartphone. Just be prepared to keep a charger handy for home, work, car, etc. Also, T-Mo's 3G network sometimes has trouble inside buildings. I'm curious to see what kind of reception I get at my office tomorrow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Major Features and Benefits override the few minor inconveniences, August 25, 2010
Derek Hoffman (Kansas CIty, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
By Far, this has been the most advanced phone to rival the iPhone without having to deal with AT&T's crappy service or jailbreak an iPhone. Everything is great, but instead of repeating all the awesome things all the other reviewers posted, here are the short list of (my) negatives:

1. Unlock Screen button seems inconveniently placed and then requires you to swipe the screen to continue to unlock - seems like an unnecessary step.
2. Locked (lit) screen doesn't show battery level - My old G1 and Motorola Cliq showed % of battery power left
3. Mini USB Charger is located on the top. I continually pick the phone up while charging and just assume the USB port should be on the bottom, like nearly all other phones/MP3 players.
4. Contacts don't allow you to keep multiple numbers for the same person under one profile.

That's it... I'm a picky person so little things get to me, but EVERYTHING else on the phone is FANTASTIC... enjoy!

(T-Mobile review - their customer service is going to pots with this required data package tied TO the phone line - they are trying to keep everyone from sharing upgrades which is going to cause me to leave them if they don't get rid of that policy by the end of my contract)

4.0 out of 5 stars My first smart phone !!!, September 9, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I am upgrading from the Samsung Behold and the Vibrant is my first smart phone, I've only had it a week and I am very impressed with it so far The speed is as amazing as is the color screen. I do have a couple of cons but they aren't Deal breakers. What I would have liked was if the message notification alerts could ring out more than once so that you would know if you missed a call or message. (I don't really need a LED light but more than one ring would be nice considering that you are paying so much for the phone)Battery life isn't that great but I think once I stop playing with the phone so much I'm sure it will get better. All in All I think it is the best phone that T-mobile has out at the moment, but give me a few weeks and I'll let you know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous potential but wasted by lack of support from Samsung., January 17, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
This phone had great potential at the release time but as it turns out, it was wasted by some fatal flaws:

1) GPS on this phone is just plain broken. It functions very poorly. Samsung has tried to fix this with software update and by releasing an application but both attempts failed which can only mean that the GPS hardware is broken on this phone. It is just plain frustrating to use it and it is completely unreliable.

2) Phone was released with mid-June last year with Android version 2.1 with a statement from Samsung that it will soon be updated to the then newest Android version 2.2 bringing with it some new exciting features. It is now over 6 months later and Samsung has failed to update the phone to the promised version 2.2 of Android. Meanwhile Android 2.3 came out and Samsung has released a new phone with OS 2.3 on it. They are also about to release a slightly updated version of Vibrant with OS 2.2 on it while still not making update to this older version available to its customers. Samsung clearly wants its customers to get the latest software by buying their newest hardware - this is just horrible support to their existing customers.

Do not buy this or other Samsung phones if you care about keeping your phone up to date with new Android features. Samsung is now notorious about not supporting their smartphones - Behold II was never updated past Android 1.6 despite promises from Samsung either. Buy HTC Android phones instead as that company has a much better track record with keeping their products updated with newest features.

You have been warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone!!!!, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Samsung Vibrant Android Phone (T-Mobile) (Wireless Phone)
I just switched from a Motorola Cliq to this phone, and shortly before that I had the G1. It is like night and day. I thought I wouldn't get used to not having an actual keyboard to use. But I can text even faster with the Samsung. To be short and to the point, this phone is perfect. The battery usually lasts a whole day, the reception is no different than every other phone I have ever had. I NEVER drop calls or lose internet connection. The GPS is okay (I have a garmin, so this is not a necessity for me anyway), and all of the apps work great. Going online is faster than my laptop most of the time. I have NO complaints about this phone. I have used my friends' iphones, and this phone is far better.

‹ Previous | 14 5 610 | Next ›