Published 12 months ago by C. Bruce

Published 12 months ago by M. Sarkar

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes it worth having a separate device for better quality pics!, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Samsung WB250F 14.2MP CMOS Smart WiFi Digital Camera with 18x Optical Zoom, 3.0" Touch Screen LCD and 1080p HD Video (White) (Electronics)
I must say instead of purchasing from Amazon I couldn't wait and tested out cameras in Best Buy and was completely sold on this camera and paid $20 more +tax. It feels a little on the cheap side? Maybe just because it's light weight which I do like. It was very easy to connect to security enabled wi-fi and send pictures to facebook and email. Some things I believe require you to connect to a computer. The camera is very intuitive and hints automatically pop up on the screen to further explain what a feature can help you with. I have not picked up the manual yet. As another reviewer said the flash is odd but works very well. I think the way the flash is lends me to lean toward that cheap feeling because it seems as though it could be broken easily the way it is attached. However, the camera detects if you open it and then will allow for auto flash when open or flash off if it's closed.

I wondered how point and shoot cameras were going to keep up and this camera is an excellent example. This camera is by far better than any cell phone just with the wide angle and zoom capabilities. With the added sharing, touch screen, and intuitiveness that is integrated it makes it an very neat relatively compact device. It's not as compact as some but way smaller than the larger zoom cameras and is a great compromise.

I have seen a couple cameras with gps and I know one was powered by android. Nice features but I did not see the benefit of having a lot of those features on my camera when I have them on my phone? Also, the price of that camera was significantly more.

Also something to note. This camera actually has a low light sensor that compensates for the light level versus detecting the light level and adjusting the shutter speed. When your shutter speed is slower to allow more light in this gives you more time to move the camera and means image stabilization has more to process. In other words it doesn't work very well. The samsung has a quick shutter speed in low light situations and does a nice job of compensating for the light therefore also making your pictures clearer and brighter. This is from my experience and the BB rep gave me a demonstration of it when I had narrowed my choices between a canon elph with wifi and the samsung.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, July 1, 2013
John kaufman (MADISON, OH, US) - See all my reviews
I was planning on purchasing this camera from amazon, but ended up with a good deal on an open box at Best Buy. I've tested the camera out and have to say for what I bought it for it looks excellent.

Photo quality
This was my main consideration when buying a new camera. I have to say that the camera does not disappoint me at all. I've taken indoor low light pics, as well as outdoor pictures of my dogs running around at full speed with only the automatic settings, and the pictures have all come out better than expected. Action shots are frozen and crisp, and close up portraits are significantly better than I expected, not $1200 DLSR quality, but for a sub $200 point and shoot, WAY better than expected - I doubt the average person could tell the difference. The portraits show clear subject, no distortion, excellent color and shallow depth of field just like a DLSR and all on auto settings.

Video Quality
Video quality is good, the 1080p video looks decent - the image stabilization is good but not great. The main drawback is that there is a very noticeable noise picked up by the microphone when zooming. - again for a cheap point and click to use for occasional video the quality is good. To use as a primary video camera and create your next masterpiece, not so good.
One nice thing about video is that you can just press the red video button on the back of the camera to begin recording. You don't have to find a special setting etc... so it's very quick and easy to go into video mode. The other nice thing is that while videoing you can still take pictures with no effect on the video.

Features
The photo features are what you would expect for a camera in this range. It does also have on camera editing, for cropping, "Instagram Like" effects can be carried out in the camera etc...
One very nice feature is the touch screen. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and really like the feature of touching the spot on the screen that I want focused on in camera mode. This camera has the same feature. So if the camera is focusing on something in the foreground or background, you just touch on the subject on your screen and the camera changes focus to the right spot.

Wireless / Remote connection to phone
This is truly the best part of the camera. It has built in wireless connectivity, so you can e-mail photos, upload to facebook, picasa, upload videos to youtube, etc... directly from the camera. No more waiting until you get home and connecting to your computer to do something with the pictures.
The coolest part of this functionality is the connection to your smartphone. Download the samsung app, and you can use your smartphone as the viewfinder and take pictures without using a timer, or touching the camera. This is great for taking pictures of yourself with your kids.. seriously, I have hundreds of pictures of my kids and I am not in any of them because I'm always taking the pictures, I think this will change that.

It also can be used to download pictures from your camera right to your phone so any pics taken on the camera appear in your phone's gallery in seconds. That means you can e-mail, text message, facebook etc... from your phone just like you are used to. I LOVE this!!!

Build Quality
Build quality could be better, but what do you expect at the price point? The only thing I really wish it had that it doesn't and I'm a little disappointed in is the tripod threading is all plastic, instead of metal. I'm worried that using on a tripod will damage the threads and not be able to use a tripod again. I'm also leery of tightening the tripod too firmly because of this.

Conclusion
I was considering buying the Galaxy Camera - but at double the price, I get the similar image quality, it appears to be running android internally although I can't play angry birds on my camera - which for me was not a huge selling point anyways... So considering the price difference, this seemed to be a much better deal for the same basic photo, video, wireless features. It is a very pocketable size, the photo quality is excellent - way better than I expected, and automatically downloading pictures to my phone - and computer wirelessly are exactly what I wanted.

I am happy with the camera so far, but gave it 4 stars because of the following:
- Tripod threads plastic not metal
- Zoom noise during video recording.
- Remote viewfinder app is amazing, but I wish it gave full control over the camera - changing scene modes, burst shots, etc... The feature is great, but could use a little polish.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd rate at 3.5 stars. With some improvements, Samsung could have gotten a 4 or 4.5, April 5, 2013
I carry a compact camera in my pocket quite often and generally prefer the older models with CCD sensors over the glitzy newer models with their 1/2.5 inch CMOS sensors. For the past 2-3 years, I've looked to upgrade for the wider 24-25 mm lenses and the 12-20x zooms on newer cameras, and had hoped that at least one manufacturer would put in a rotating LCD screen (or even a viewfinder, for those glaring sunny days) in a compact pocketable camera. I am not a pixel-peeper and I try to avoid post-processing on the computer. I do not expect to print any larger than 8x10 inch, so I have reasonable expectations from a compact travel camera. Hopefully, that gives you an idea about my perspective on photography with a point-and-shoot compact.

I'll touch on some points below, having already posted some thoughts in replies to other reviews here and on the older WB150F model's pages. Your opinions might obviously vary from mine, but please TEST the camera before you question/comment :-)

With the WB250F, image quality is quite good. I've used the P (program) mode, the Auto and the Scene modes. I'm planning to post pics on Google+ using the hashtag #POAB and maybe even a comparison with the Sony HX10V and my older workhorse compact, the Samsung v70 (1/1.8 inch CCD sensor).

For indoor use, I set ISO to 200. The flash power was adequate and image quality was good, too.

The ability to change settings using the physical buttons, the touchscreen or a combination of both definitely makes this WB250F camera fun to use - and it's often faster than scrolling though menus.

The placement of the pop-up flash, closer to the middle of the body is much more ergonomic than many other cameras. Unlike the Sony and Canon travel zoom models in/above this price range, you can grip the camera quite nicely with BOTH hands and not have to worry about having a finger over the flash. You have to press a button to pop the flash up. I'm sure users' feelings are mixed about having to manually pop the flash.

I'll agree with C. Bruce that the WB250F does pretty well in low light mode: it takes a short burst of pics in low light, then flattens them into a single image with fairly good detail. In my experiments, the ISO climbed to 1280 but the image remained usable. Some cameras like the Sony HX10V might easily climb to ISO 3200 in low light mode, but the pics become noisy.

This WB250F camera has a "Rich Tones" mode that uses HDR. In my tests, mostly on dawn and sunset skies, the HDR result seemed a lot more "real" as compared to the red-shifted "watercolor painting" that I got from a Sony in HDR mode. I like a vivid pic as much as anyone else, but the Sony's HDR went overboard and seemed too fake to me (I prefer "real" over overprocessed photos designed to elicit "oohs" and "aahs").

Macros come out fine. Colors are pleasing, and without over-saturation.

You can adjust sharpness and contrast via the menu.

Video quality at 720p, MP4 settings seemed good to my eyes, but I haven't tested extensively. The dedicated video button is located close to the raised thumbgrip. Zooming during video is possible, but you risk "focus hunting" even if you zoom as slowly as possible.

In playback mode, the touchscreen allows swiping to move back or forth. Not a huge thing, but an obvious touch (pun intended) coming from Samsung's giant footprint in smartphones. Toggling the "display" button (the top of the four-way controller) quickly shows a histogram and the exposure, etc data. One major frustration in playback mode is that the lower ~1/8th of the screen in playback mode gets partly obscured by a panel containing two "soft" buttons. So, unless you patiently wait a few seconds, you cannot see the entire photo in playback. Utterly irresponsible of the Samsung designers. Rather, incomprehensible, given how many other things have been nicely thought through and implemented in the touchscreen user interface.

The WB250F's 18x optical zoom is snappy but poorly implemented: it doesn't zoom in reasonably smooth increments. I wonder if the zoom is too fast by intention, or is the zoom lever too sensitive? The initial optical zoom between 1x - approx 5x is fine. However, after 7.8x, it jumps to about 12x, then about 15x, finally 18x. With the jerky zoom, I find it hard to frame a pic at just the right zoom for the scene. Also, the camera often hunts for focus, even when set to center focus. I've played with Program, Manual, Auto and the zoom issue persists. The zoom only gets smoother once in *digital* zoom at 19x and above (but pic quality will suffer if using digital zoom).

Focus hunting is fairly common with this camera. This happens sometimes even with good light when focusing on objects without sharp lines, e.g. clouds. Knowing that multi-point focus is more work for the camera, I keep it set to center-weighted focus. So, I'll lock in focus on a distant tree, then point the camera at the cloud. In some (but not all) cases, the camera focuses faster when set to "action shot" using the S mode on the selector dial. Focusing needs improvement - hope Samsung is listening.

If anyone else here can comment on their camera's optical zoom and its smoothness on the WB250F, I'd appreciate it. Not sure if Samsung can make the zoom smoother with a firmware update, but I'd love the camera if it had a decent usable range in optical zoom and faster focusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Camera - Must have for fast travel, July 25, 2013
I have been doing amateur photography for over 20 years. Yes I have that big Nikon Digital SLR with fancy lenses, and yes it takes the best pictures, plus more creative work. BUT, the Samsung WB250 is really shines. I did not want to take my big camera to Disney World, so I took this one instead. WHAT FANTASTIC PICTURES.

Pro's
Picture Quality - Excellent for Point and SHoot
Zoom - excellent resolutions and clarity
ISO - Very Good except at higher speeds but that is expected
Speed - Excellent - no lag between shutter and recording
Video - Very Good

Cons: Some of the programs such as fireworks, sunset are ok, but not great. Fireworks setting is less than average

For Size and Funcationality is well worht this very low price especially in this digitial age. (It is several steps ove your cell camera and maybe 1 or 2 down from a Digital SLR).

Recommendation: Learn to take good pictures. Then in your hands a camera will be awesome.

3.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE: OK, But Don't Buy this for its WIFI features. Many do not work as they should, November 19, 2013
The camera is OK and has lots of features. Its also fairly easy to use in a getting started mode, without reading too much of the manual. But be sure to download the full manual. It is really annoying that manufacturers don't want to spend the few bucks to include a decent printed manual for basic use.

There is a serious flaw however if you are buying this camera for its WIFI features. The Samsung remote shutter AP does not work with the Samsung Note 3. When the Camera tries to mate with the Note 3 and this Samsung AP, the Note 3 tries to find an internet connection. The Note 3 then says: "Checking quality of internet connection" waits a bit, and then says: " Network disabled because internet is slow."

I have searched the web and find that others have mentioned the same thing. Apparently there does not seem to be a way to tell the Note 3 that on a WIFI connection to this camera that it should only run peer to peer with the camera, and forget the internet.

I have been able to get the camera to mate with my home WIFI network and email a picture. This seems to work, although the picture file size was compressed in the process.

I have not been able to use the WIFI auto-backup function, since this has a bug as well that causes timeout. It shows up as a connection quality issue on the camera and PC, even when they are close to each other. I suspect its similar to the one above. i will have to research more.

I have spent a couple of hours already on the chatline with Samsung, and find that they do not understand these issues well. I finally gave up with them, and learned more on the web.

My virus detector also noted a virus threat in the Samsung PC launcher software, although it seems to work OK. The Samsung launcher did successfully update the firmware in the new camera.

Overall, the WB250F appears to be a decent replacement for my dead Cannon Elph. BUT DONT BUY IT FOR ITS WIFI. Researching WIFI fixes and patches is not what I had in mind when I made this camera purchase decision.

My background: Electrical Engineer

Update 11/20/13

The problem with the SAMSUNG remote viewfinder using the SAMSUNG NOTE 3 and the SAMSUNG WB250f seems to be widespread. I went to the XDA developers forum and found a good discussion of it using the Search: "WiFi problems: "Network disabled because Internet connection is slow". Some people say to uncheck the "always allow scanning" box on the Note 3 WIFI advanced page. In my case,that was already unchecked. BUT when I unchecked the "Auto network switch" box on that same page, the WB250f started to mate properly with the Note 3, and the remote viewfinder worked. Be sure to recheck it when through, if you want to have a data connection away from a WIFI network. P.S. My note 3 is Verizon.

Many Thanks to XDA Developers Forum!!!

SAMSUNG tech support and chat could save many frustrating hours of their and customer time if they learned about this.

Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera!, June 6, 2013
I bought this camera for my trip to Hawaii, what a deal! the camera is light and small enough to fit into my purse. The buttons are big enough and very easy to use. The pixel and zoom on this camera is one of the best for the price! Only down side is the flash has to be opened before use manually by a simple button. Its not a big deal but annoying when your taking pictures and forget to open it. ...although once in the habit of doing so you forget and its not really such a pain. I also notice most newer cameras have this feature so all in all I would buy this camera again and definitely recommend it to friends and family. Again great price for a really well rounded camera!

Happy Customer!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT, May 23, 2013
I'd been researching, and searching out cameras for months. I needed something that was not to heavy, had a fast reaction time, great zoom and MP that was not to cheap, but easy on the wallet as well. This product fit the mold to a T. In addition the battery is rechargeable and lasts a long time. I couldn't be happier. The only complaint I have is with the color it looks more black then blue. The zoom is fantastic. I love the wireless capabilities and the touch screen as well as the photo settings. All around a great product. I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice camera for the price, August 14, 2013
The family loves it since the interface is similar to a modern smartphone with the connection to wifi. The camera itself takes great pictures in almost all of the different modes automatically. The automatic macro mode doesn't come out good all the time but controlling the setting in manual mode fixes it. All in all I'm really happy with it and is a good balance of features, quality, and price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use - terrific photos, July 11, 2013
TJ (Roseville) - See all my reviews
much more user friendly than my digital camera which stopped working. I read about the WB250 on-line and believe it performs pretty much as promised. There is a learning curve... My only comment is I wish a users manual came with. I know I can (and have) download but it would more convenient to have a compact printed manual to throw in my camera bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking pictures..... ..CLEARLY, June 27, 2013
The picture quality inside and out, night and day is outstanding. I'm betting that cameras costing hundreds more are not as good as this. I'm definitely a happy customer.

ARRAY(0x9a2cc798)