5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung does it again
Published 22 months ago by NCC-1701

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an alright camera
Published 20 months ago by James Mccarty

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung does it again, February 28, 2013
I read all the early CES hands-on reviews and even though know one has reviewed this camera on Amazon I ordered the it. I needed a simple 'idiot-proof' camera when I am out on the town with my family and do not want to lug a full frame DSLR around. This is a review based on having played with the camera and all of it's settings for the last 4 hours. I shot about 100 pictures in various settings and even though I did not think the WiFi was something I cared about... it has been a real pleasure to use. I've owned a few Samsung 'Point and Shoots' (PNS) in the past and the image quality is excellent... this one is no exception. What I really wanted was a nice low-light camera and this model does it better than any I have tried in the last 2 years. I am an avid photographer and I shoot products images for a few companies and this camera could handle the task; which surprised me. First off it has many simple buttons that make it so easy to use that by image 50 I just turned on the AUTO button and it worked just as good as me manually setting the camera for the situation; that is what I wanted in a PNS. The WiFi was simple to use, just connect the cable to a PC and install the iLink software (built into the camera) and set it up for Auto-backup and it will download the software and connect to your router; meaning once you shoot it will Auto-Backup on the fly when you tell it to. No more pulling the SD card out and importing images. It also has a great on-board editing program along with a bunch of Instagram type filters if you want to look retro. I am very, very impressed by the low-light shooting and will update this review after a good week of use. But for now, this inexpensive Samsung is the one you want. I just put my Nikon Coolpix up for sale on Amazon and will fine tune this camera for my needs. In conclusion it is almost to idiot proof. The settings are so simple that anyone can take really nice photos. I have not tried the video yet, but when I do I will update the review.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an alright camera, April 23, 2013
James Mccarty "expose" (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung WB800F 16.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi Digital Camera with 21x Optical Zoom, 3.0" Touch Screen LCD and 1080p HD Video (White) (Electronics)
I purchased this camera (the white one) locally at a Sams Club because it came with a kit for the same price as Amazon. Not really a great deal, but did it anyway. It came with a small case (useless as its too small to really fit the camera) and an 8gb Samsung sd card. (Woopy do, I saved $6 there) The build quality seems good. With one exception, the popup flash. I can bet anything this will eventually break. If it doesn't break due to users accidentally snapping it off, it will wear out from popping up and pushing it down. It is a little tricky pushing it back in too. I base this opinion on other cameras I have used.

I found the cameras photo settings to be straight forward and easy to understand for most people. Full auto works ok, but P is the way to go for your best exposure. The flash worked reasonably well to about 12 feet or so. Any further in a less then normal to dimly lit room, and you will find your subject under exposed. On the other side, any closer then 4 feet and you will find your subject over exposed. The camera has a flash fill setting, but I found no difference between fill and auto.

The image quality is best at 16mp (the highest setting) I would have rather used 10 or 12mp but the drop off in clarity was too great. The color was accurate and images were sharp. As long as you held really, really still. I found the camera to use a much slower shutter speed then the average person can hand hold. I don't think the anti-shake works well at all. I have used better. Especially with any amount of zoom.

I was very disappointed with the response of the camera. It would often not take the picture when I pressed the shutter button. Example: I turn the camera on, point it at a person or object, press the button and get nothing. I had to resort to the slightly depressing the button to allow the camera to focus first, wait for the center green box or the face detecting boxes(depending on which setting I used) turn green, then press the button the rest of the way to take the picture. For a camera in 2013 I feel this is unexceptionable. Especially in this price range. It doesn't always do this, but it did most of the time.

The other thing that really disappointed me was the WiFi feature. First the good. It connected to my Samsung S3 phone perfect. My S3 could control the camera to take photos, off load images, and use the remote view finder. It was easy to connect to Picasa and SkyDrive to offload images to the cloud. I assume Facebook and emailing would be the same. You can connect to your phone while outside of a local area connection. In other words, driving down the road or in the middle of nowhere with no wifi router in sight, you can connect to your phone. Nice feature for offloading images and using your phones internet connection to upload. The Direct Link button on the back of the camera can be programmed to do any of the WiFi functions with just one press.
Now the bad. I was excited to program the Direct Link button to connect to Picasa and upload images. Well, when you press the button, it brings up 4 options. Facebook, Picasa, Email, and SkyDrive. I then have to press Picasa. It then opens up a gallery of images. I start selecting the ones I want to upload (there is no select all. That's stupid) and I get stopped at 12 selections with a message saying I have reached the limit. That makes this feature useless to me. To make matters worse, it doesn't even tell me where I left off so I don't select ones I already uploaded. The wifi is fast enough to upload the 12 images in about a minute or two (depending on your ISP's speeds) so I don't get the limit here.

Some other thoughts: Image quality at higher iso's is pretty good. I took several shots at 400 to 3200 iso and was ok with the noise in the 1600 and 3200 iso range. 400 iso is the sweet spot I think. The camera's auto iso wants to hang aroung 100 iso which is why several of my shots without flash were blurry. If I were to keep this camera, 400 or 800 iso is where I would leave it.
The menu system in general is very good. Its easy to find your setting and the option to use the touch screen or d-pad is nice. In fact, I think the UI is probably the best part of this camera. I found the settings I needed to change were quick to find and the flow of using the touch and the d-pad were perfect.

Here is a quick example of why I am not keeping this camera besides the (in my opinion) botched WiFi uploading. I wanted to photograph my daughter holding her 1 month old cousin. I pull out the WB800f, point and.....nothing. Press the button again and great. It took the shot. Its blurry because the camera was set to auto iso and it used too low of an iso. I try a few more setting the iso to 800. Well, its almost there, still a little blurry with the camera set on P. The shutter was just a but to slow. I pop the flash up. I press the button, nothing. Press again and it takes. Overexposed because I am about 4 feet away. I back up and try and pop off several shots. Its not real fast at this. I manage to get off 3 shots. Now, just for fun, I pull out my Samsung S3 phone. Hit the camera icon and pop off about 8 shots (no flash) in the time it took me to take 3 with the WB800f. "Ok" you say, "thats great". "But I bet the quality is better on the WB800f". And you would be correct. But is it enough for me to justify the purchase of this camera? Not for me. I could easily get a decent 8x10 print out of either the S3 or the WB800f of my daughter and her cousin. The WB800F needed a flash to get the decent shot though. Unless I spent a bit more time bumping up the iso and messing with shutter speed.
I was just a little taken back that my phone was able to pop off 8 decent shots better then this dedicated point and shoot camera. I think that says something.

I didn't expect this to be a Canon G12. But I did expect it to do better then my Canon A720IS. It is not faster, it is not better image quality, its marginally better in low light as long as YOU adjust the iso up to 1600 or 3200, and the added features just don't warrant the price.

If you can get this for $200 and you are ok with the limited WiFi uploading, then go for it.

One thing to note is that this camera is firmware upgradable. In fact, I received a firmware/software upgrade during my brief time with the camera. I don't know what it fixed. I found nothing that it added. But I bet things like added Cloud sync options could be easily added. Perhaps they will remove the limited uploading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera, April 18, 2013
We initially purchased a Nikon but returned it because of poor picture quality and difficulty in figuring out how to use it. We purchased this camera hoping for the best but expecting a similar experience. Boy were we wrong - this camera is extremely easy to use and the pictures are clear and exactly what we wanted. The price was a little more but well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera if you know how to use it!, December 13, 2013
Mike (Commerce Twp., MI) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera to take to sporting events and to use when at the bar drinking with buddies. I own a photography business, and lugging around a 5DmkII/Lenses got to be tiresome when just going for a night out. I love this camera. The zoom and image stabilization are great, and I love the full manual controls. A lot of the complaints from other reviewers could be corrected with just a little bit of basic photography knowledge, and I don't feel like going into depth about that right now. I'll just say that people blaming the camera for user error is frustrating to read.

That being said, I have 2 major suggestions for improvement: 1.raw files 2.function to disable digital zoom

I'll see if I can post some sample photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full featured convenience, November 27, 2013
Been using it for a couple of months. I am a serious photographer who hates not having a pretty capable camera with me, but doesn't want to lug around the SLR and extra lenses everywhere I go. This is an extremely versatile camera which takes high quality pictures and fits quite literally in my pocket. Problem solved. In addition to all the modern "pre-programmed" functions like HDR, panorama, Best Face, night shot, etc., it has complete control over shutter and aperture, which I use a lot. And it's easy to set because of the well designed touch screen interface. The pictures are sharp and vivid, given the size of the sensor and the overall cost. A ton of capability at this price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am surprisingly impressed!, March 18, 2013
Was a little concerned about the timing and tried to get it earlier but this seller did not offer overnight delivery for this item. However it arrived on time, according to the order, in perfect condition and I couldn't be happier. The picture quality is soo much better than I anticipated and it has a zoom image stabilization that really made all my shots over the water with a big wind turn out great. Oh..best best best feature..the wifi. I was on the ferry and got Google Android app downloaded and then it sent ALL my pictures so quickly to my phone and I posted them to facebook. I have an HTC Rezound so my picture quality is already better than most- but there is nothing like a real zoom and a real camera. I'm totally impressed and happy and it's a great price for a great phone loaded with features and WIFI!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love but there is a problem, May 10, 2013
I really love this camera. Very easy to use and I love all the features it has. My only problem with this camera is that it wont charge whenever I want it too. It has to be completely dead for it to charge. I sent it back and got my 2nd one and this one does the same thing. For example I cant charge it if it only has like 1/4 battery left...it has to completely die and I do not like that at all. I may get a totally different camera :(

5.0 out of 5 stars IF you want iPhone compatibility skip the Galaxy camera and get this one!, December 28, 2013
I had both cameras here physically, but only opened the Galaxy Camera, thinking I would prefer that one. Don't misunderstand, it is a great camera- but not iPhone compatible through Bluetooth or apps. THIS ONE IS iPHONE COMPATIBLE....through apps and Wi-Fi. The cameras are the same mega pixels, same optical zoom, the difference? - this one does not have Bluetooth or Android Jelly Bean...but I wanted a camera that would send pics wirelessly between my iPhone, my PC and the camera. This one does...The Galaxy would 'discover' the iPhone but not connect. It would not discover my home network, nor would any app let it work between the items listed. After a few days of trying everything and anything...I sat on the phone with Samsung tech. This camera has support for iPhones...the Galaxy camera does not and although it's not a new camera to the market, they are aware of 'issues' but have no date for any corrections. (I was advised by an IT person that it usually means a newer model is in the works) ...so IF you have an iPhone or iPad...THIS is the camera for you- unless you don't mind e-mailing photos between various devices. This camera will upload directly to FB, You Tube, etc... The picture quality is identical...but it is not a small tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding camera that far exceeds expectations, December 2, 2013
Kevin Willison (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This is an outstanding camera. I recently took this camera on a trip through South America and it worked great in all situations. The zoom, stabilization, and low light capabilities all exceeded expectations. The sunset and waterfall settings were an added bonus. There were no condensation problems going from an air conditioned room to a humid rain forest, or shooting in a misty waterfall environment. My friends with their SLR cameras were all envious of the point-and-shoot that worked as well or better than their large cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera rocks, March 2, 2014
Samsung has their stuff together. It amazes me each time I use it.My wife went to England and Ireland, and I got her and my daughter each one. One month later when they came back, I saw the pics, and they were so astounding, I ordered one for myself. get one, you'll thank me when you use it.!