Top positive review
17 people found this helpful
Nice Engineering, but Measure Three Times and Hang TV Once!
on August 4, 2012
I bought this mini mount to hang our new 2012 Samsung 46" slim LED TV (Model UN46ES6580F). The kit contains everything you need to wall mount a VESA compliant flat screen TV. There are two upper wall mounts which are hinged. This is very nice because it allows you to plug cables into the TV after you have hung it, without trying to take it off the wall. There are two lower support pegs which hold the TV away from the wall at the same distance as the upper mounts. The lower left support peg in the Amazon photo shows a metal brace which can be lowered to the horizontal, effectively holding the lower edge of TV away from the wall for you, while you push cables into the already-mounted TV. All normally required bolts and spacers are included. They even include wall anchors and screws, but more on that later.
When hanging any flat screen TV on the wall, it is essential to be aware of where the cables are going to go. In our case, the TV is hanging in front of a staircase which already had a closet under the stairs. The components (receiver, TiVo, Blu-Ray player etc) sit on a shelf in the wall which is open at the back into the closet. Very convenient, but the cable routing needs to be considered. To help with this, I made a full-size template of the TV using sheets of paper, and then marked all of the cable input/output locations, as well as the exact position of the mounting pegs. We taped it to the wall and moved the template around until we were happy with the TV position. I highly recommend this, it was worth all of the effort. There is obviously not much space behind a wall mounted TV and moving it after mounting is very hard, so careful planning is essential.
OK, now some specific Pros and Cons of this kit.
1. Very nicely made, and probably has everything you need for a VESA compliant TV. Certainly will work with most Samsung flat screen TVs made in the last 3 to 4 years.
2. Installation is relatively easy - it took me about an hour once we had decided the cable routing and TV position etc.
3. A spirit level and template are included in the kit to help position the mounts at the perfect separation and also absolutely level. The design of the mounts also allows a significant amount of leveling of the TV once it is on the wall - the pegs on the TV can "rock" through the fittings left and right in an arc to adjust the position.
1. The instructions are all cartoon images - nothing written and not much detail. It took me longer to work out what the images meant than it did to install the mount.
2. This is a one shot installation. I tried attaching one of the unmounted wall fixtures to the TV while the TV was still on its' floor stand. The wall fixture has a slot that the TV peg pushes into, but then a spring keeps it locked into that slot. The spring is extremely stiff. While this is a great safety feature, especially in earthquake zones, it does make it a real challenge to release the TV from the hinged mounts. It took me about 20 minutes to release it, and it wasn't even in a cramped space mounted on the wall. It requires a long screwdriver (to lever the flat spring) and if it was wall-mounted, you would appreciate 2 assistants to hold the TV and get it to the perfect position for release. Add to that you are working behind a very tight space, and you have quite a job to get it off the wall.
3. The wall mount anchors are not designed for drywall. They are great for brick, concrete and wood. But they totally destroyed my drywall. The issue is that they are far too long to be drywall anchors and as you advance the screw, the resistance increases to the point where the drywall can't hold them. If you buy this kit, get your own drywall anchors.
In summary, I am happy with this wall mount, but it has some flaws. It would be nice if the manufacturer designed a quick release mechanism to free a mounted TV from it, and it would be nice to have drywall anchors in the kit, or a warning that the provided anchors are not suitable for drywall. Overall, I think it is one of the best for our needs, and the price is very competitive.