Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on bgg

on February 5, 2014
I bought a supposedly brand new Samsung ATIV Tab 3 through Amazon from Adorama. Turns out that, although the packaging seemed to be intact, it was previously used. It was locked down with passwords, etc. When I tried to return the item within a two days of its delivery to Adorama, I was advised that if I had opened the package with the tablet in it, I could not longer return it to Adorama. It is their return policy --or non-return policy. How can you know that the item is defective if you can't open it? I am now stuck with a $500+ white elephant that I will have to pay to get fixed. Amazon, Adorama, and Samsung have all washed their hands of the problem. Lesson learned!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
I've been using this tablet for 3 purposes. Firstly as a mini travel laptop that weighs very little and takes up very little space, secondly as a sketchbook, and lastly just as a couch tablet like most people.

As a sketchbook, it's pretty solid. I've installed photoshop and while the computer isn't fast enough for giant files, it works perfectly well for light sketching and painting.

When it comes down to it, this is not the fastest machine on the market. What it is though, is the cheapest full windows 8 tablet with a pressure sensitive pen that is currently available. The Surface Pro is faster and overall better, however it's also heavier, costs more, and doesn't come with a keyboard/cover (which costs even more).

Weigh your options. There are android tablets that are pressure sensitive and faster for cheaper if that's what you want. The newest galaxy tablet is that. This particular tablet just suited my needs the best based on what was on the market.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2013
This is my first time playing with Windows 8. It took 2 days to decide not to return this product but now after a week or two I'm ok with the Ativ Tab 3.
Buy this tablet becayse of:
- Full Office 2013
- Metro UI
- S Pen
- Included bluetooth keyboard
- Touch and screen interface (picture is crisp and touch screen feels nice)
- Very thin and lite full windows 8 tablet/laptop

Don't buy this tablet because of:
- Rear facing camera
- Dual core 1.8ghz (don't try to use it like a standart win7 laptop because it slowwww)
- Don't even try to play games (unless they're 7 years old)
- 64gb internal storage (I think you start with 23gb of free space)
- Not enough power for 1080p

Overall it's great for people who are using it for work and casual browsing but I do not recomend for Power Users.
on December 27, 2013
What I love about this tablet:
* Integrated stylus that feels natural to write with
* My OneNote is now synched between all my computers plus this device
* I can easily manage all my to-do lists, calendar, email, from one slim device
* It has a sharp, clean, bright display
* It runs Windows, so the interface is familiar and any apps I'm used to from my desktop/laptop I can also have on my tablet
* It's comfortable to watch my streaming Netflix, Hulu, tennis matches, etc...

In short, I finally have a tablet that naturally and comfortably fills the role of the "organizer" I used to carry around. In addition to serving well for networking and entertainment.

Many reviews (professional and not) have complained about a deficiency of CPU power. I have yet to encounter this as a problem. I imagine I would if I tried to run high-performance apps or games on it. But as is clear from my list above, that's not why I wanted it.

In my first few days of adapting and configuring I had to overcome the following problems:
1) I did not like carrying it around or holding it with the keyboard that comes with it. Nor did I like holding the device all by itself. I bought a carrying case for it (Targus makes a nice one that specifically fits this device and the Galaxy Note 10) which it now lives in. I prop it on top of the Bluetooth keyboard when I want to use that. On rare occasions I put it back in the original keyboard carrier when I know I'll want to use it as a "laptop" for an extended period.
2) The text and icons on the Windows desktop were too small for me. I hunted around and found the Windows settings to increase the device font and icon sizes and now it feels like a tablet, rather than a microfiche viewer.
3) I had never used Windows 8. It took me a while to understand that the "metro" interface really is the "Start Menu". If you swipe up on the metro interface you get a listing of all the Windows apps -- including the basic accessories and utilities. Took me forever to find those.
4) The built in Mail app cannot connect to POP email services. I had to re-configure my email account to IMAP to get it to work.
5) You can't dynamically synch between a Google Calendar and Windows 8 (as of now, thought that may change). I had to start an account to synch my Windows Calendar app with my Android phone.

So, I experience a bit of frustration the first few days. But since working through the above issues I've had nothing but satisfaction from my Ativ Tab 3. I highly recommend it.
on February 18, 2014
I just bought the ativ tab 3 and I am loving it. its perfect to carry with me and is very useful for what I needed. I had a hard time deciding which to buy but finial decided on this product.

The only thing was when I upgraded to windows 8.1 the keyboard didn't work. but after I did some searching I discovered the SW update from Samsung (can be found on Samsung's web site under the ative tab 3 product info) it was installed on my ativ but not completely I had to go into the My pc folder, click on windows, then to program files, then click on Samsung then the sw update folder, after that I clicked on secSwmgrguide and installed the update. when it popped up I saw the updates that needed to be updated so I updated restarted my device.... but in order to get the key board to work I had to remove it from the device and re pair it with the device. Sounds like a lot I know but it wasn't to hard to do. and now I have windows 8.1 with a working keyboard.

I know I seen quite a few reviews that were having the same problem so I am willing to help if anyone needs the walk threw on the how to. just let me know
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
I wanted a Windows based tablet and this one came with office and Windows 8. It has been a great disappointment. After a purchase in late September, Windows 8.1 came out in November. I attempted the free upgrade. Following the upgrade the WiFi and bluetooth keyboard quit working. After several attempts to reset the computer guided by Samsung customer service. They brought it in for repair and reverted to Win 8.0. The repair lasted two month. At that time it locked up on a normal Windows update and nothing Samsung online service could do was able to get it to boot. Again, it went to the shop for repair (Samsung). I received it back in January and since the 20th of January to now (3/13) it has failed every auto update. There are over 1000 errors in the Windows log. Every time it went for service and every time Samsung customer support had me reset or refresh the tablet, I lost 4-6 days of productivity. Everything had to be re-installed (Office, Norton 360, all apps) and windows had to go through several normal updates. In total, I have lost use of the computer for 28 days in the 4 month I have owned it. I am now waiting for Samsung to take my call requesting a replacement or refund.
on September 28, 2013
Disregard the previous post that says x32 something. What he meant was that this tablet runs 32-bit version of windows 8, which most compact tablets or netbooks do. Most software these days including recent ones gives you the option to install either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version one so in most cases you won't have any problem. This tablet is so light and so easy to carry but at the same time fully functional with full windows 8. I use the s-pen with microsoft one note to take notes in lectures and I love it. I'm so happy that my backpack is much lighter now.
on January 4, 2014
I Love my Ativ Tab...The only thing that disappoints me is when you upgrade tablet to windows 8.1 your not able to use your keyboard...That's really a bummer...Other than that...It's Awesome!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2014
I was very hesitant on getting the ATIV because of some of the negative reviews, AND that Adorama had a "no return" policy on tablets. BUT, I wanted Windows Tablet that was 10.1 (tried 8" DELL, and it was too small) and the price was very good. So I took out insurance and jumped! I did have a major problem with Windows 8.1 install, with my "wireless" connection continually falling into a degraded state -- viz. it showed a connection but wouldn't transfer data. I'd continually start over at base Win 8 install, make restore points, and slowly add functionality up through installing Win 8.1 though the Store, then my wireless would go sideways. Even with updated wireless drivers from SamsungUpdate app. Then I ran across a comment on the internet where a guy, with the same problem, un-installed Norton antivirus (using the uninstall tool downloaded from Norton), and the problem went away. I tried it, downloading Norton uninstall from their site, and that fixed the wireless problem. Upgraded to Win 8.1 (from the Store) with no problems. OK, now for a list of tips:
1) As soon as you get through the initial startup setup of your ATIV, go through Charms-> Settings -> Change PC settings->Update and Recover-> windows update and put on Win 8 updates until you stop getting notices of updates when you return to this spot (as listed at the start). This should happen a couple of times. Don't use Samsung Update tool yet. Note: you'll need to restart repeatedly.
2) Remove Norton Antivirus as described above. You can use Windows defender for your virus protection -- and it's free. Restart if requested.
3) Run Samsung Update app. Some people have had with GPS, Bluetooth, and Digitizer.
a) Don't work about GPS -- uncheck it -- you don't have a GPS.
b) Update the bluetooth.
c) As for the digitizer you will HAVE TO go to the Wacom site and download the Win 8 driver as the Samsung Update app driver will fail it's install and tell you the same.
d) restart as needed....
4) Go to Store and upgrade to 8.1 -- Give yourself plenty of time!!!!
5) If you go to windows update, as described above, I have stayed away from any!! Win 8 updates to date -- cannot vouch for them in terms of their effect.
6) make restore points after new installs, so if they goof you up, you can roll back.

The ATIV is not a fast machine, but it's ok. You can install the free Home Office 2013 without issue. I picked up some utilities from Stardock that go a long ways in facilitating navigation between the traditional Windows desktop and Metro. With the 10.1 screen, the Windows desktop is very workable by touch! Suprisingly so -- and I don't have small fingers.

So far I pleased with the ATIV.
on March 8, 2014
As a student, I bought this tablet mainly for writing lecture notes and reading papers. After several weeks with it, to say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement.
I have read a lot of great reviews about OneNote, only to find out the mircrosoft has done nothing to make it tablet friendly. The usual display leaves very little space for writing, while for the full screen display, you need to add the "customize quick access bar" each time, just so you can have the minimal tools needed for work. Also, the program works only through the desktop which is just wrong for tablet users. Think of all the times you need to fix some bug in windows where you need to go through 10 different windows and menus, and now imagine this on a little screen and with a finger instead of a mouse (which already happened to me). Also, when you need to write something using the keyboard (for example, the name of a new notebook or section), the virtual keyboard doesn't come up automatically, and you need to manually open and close it. Another thing which is annoying is that the pages are not one below the other - you need to manually switch between them also.

Reading papers is also a bad experience. The "reader" program which comes with the tablet has the option of opening several files simultaneously. This is probably the only good thing about it. You can use the stylus to write on the pdf files, but you cannot erase - the most you can do is close the file without saving and then reopen it. The writing itself is very slow to begin with and becomes almost impossible after writing a lot of notes. If you increase the screen size a little bit (still smaller than the tablet screen), it doesn't keep the page centered. The program also tends to crash every once in a while.
The adobe reader app alternative, doesn't support stylus (yet) and opening multiple files.
Finally, you can send the pdf file to OneNote, which sounds good theoretically. It took me several minutes to send a 10 pages file, and even after it finished sending it took another two minutes to display them. After this, when I wanted to erase these 10 pages, I had to do it one by one.

It might be that some of the problems that I mentioned already have solutions, but I couldn't find any. And these are only few of the problems that I have encountered. In the end this is just a windows pc, shrank to the size of a tablet which accidentally have a stylus. While you can use it for work, it was not designed for it (or as it seemed, it was not designed at all).

So I have the tablet now for about half a year and looking back at my first review I can only recollect fondly the times I had so few problems with it. These days my tablet crashes almost on a daily basis. Either it crashes on its own, or get stuck and I need to manually restart it, or get stuck and doesn't let me to manually restart it and I need to wait until the battery dies so it closes itself.
My current problem is that it works slow even if there are no open apps. I though about doing a windows update, but it get stuck once I try. I tried to troubleshoot it, but after half of an hour of "running" without any progress I think that it also got stuck. So yes, basically I spend more time trying to fix this tablet than actually working with it.
Unfortunately, I cannot reduce the one star to zero stars in my ratings.