on September 5, 2013
Purchased a Surface Pro to do art with last month, and returned it due to uncomfortable edges, weight, small display, heat issues (felt like it was burning my hands) and quite poor keyboard dock accessories.

I had my eye on the ATIV 700T for a bit, so I finally jumped on the new K01 model, which I hoped had ironed out the keyboard dock connection problems. On that score, it looks good - I've had no connection issues or dropped key response.

PROS:
=====
Price: My brand new K01 last week was $1059 before tax. That's about the same you'll pay for a Surface Pro 128 with optional and IMO poor quality Touch Keyboard Dock. I don't even consider the Pad to be an option. The 700T (usually) comes with keyboard, and although it's top-heavy the quality of the actual unit is excellent. Key feel is great.

Speed: Runs L4D2 at mid settings very smoothly, at least until the CPU starts to heat up and throttle. I'm still trying to see if there's any workaround for that. Load times are blazing fast, from cold they're in the 8-9 second range. I can use a 400px soft brush on a 1500x1500 canvas in Photoshop CC and the thing keeps up just fine. There was talk in the early A01 days of a 'ringer' test unit with 1.8GHz CPU vs. the 1.7 that the production models got - I suspect the K01 and other 1.8GHz models are that 'ringer'.

Ergonomics, Heat and Feel: My 700T gets nowhere near as hot as my Surface Pro did. The ATIV fans are quieter (I attribute that to the more direct vent layout on the back, rather than the narrow edge vent of the Surface). The 700T weighs slightly less than the Microsoft, almost exactly what my iPad 3 WiFi did with folio leather case.

Battery: The runtime of the Samsung is also better than the Surface Pro. Mine seems to last roughly 1.5hrs longer than the SP, but I did not run any tests. I'm thinking 6-7hrs. The charging is your basic two piece adapter, a welcome alternative to Microsoft's magnetic charger that fell off when you picked up the tablet.

Build Quality: My 700T does not flex or creak if you press or twist moderately at corners or middle. I find the bad rap Samsung gets for use of plastics to be mostly undeserved and I don't see why a tablet like this should cough up weight and ergonomics to make grandiose claims over what basically amounts to the use of pot metal (magnesium alloy is not exactly fancy) like the SP. I have no problem with the USB covers and so forth. I like having the extra protection from dust and such. Overall, I think the thing looks really quite good and feels less top-heavy in my hands vs. the Surface.

Wacom Screen: Very good response. It may not be out-of-box perfect, but with Wacom's drivers and some tweaking, you get full touch and pen use in apps like Photoshop, Manga Studio and Sketchbook Pro.

Stylus: It's too small to be of much real use for drawing, but it has its own silo - unlike the useless, annoying magnetic stylus with the Surface that occupied the charging spot (when it wasn't falling off)

CONS:
=====
Settings & Management of Power: At first my 700T prevented bright screen mode, so I turned off all that, as well as ambient adjustment. There's some debate about whether there's any battery savings with auto-dim, anyway. Though, it'd be nice if it just worked right out of the box. Also, when coming out of suspend/sleep the unit wants a tap of the volume control to confirm it's 'you', citing dark ambient sensor input - ostensibly so it doesn't turn on in your bag or case. Not really a big deal, maybe a plus in a way.

Accessories: There are now more than four versions of this tablet in the USA: A01, A02, A03, A04, K01 and HA1. There are various small differences between with the slight size increase starting at the A04 and continuing with the K01 which has a slightly faster processor (1.8GHz vs 1.7). The HA1 is the AT&T 4G model, which the USA market lacked before. Thus, there's a total lack of accessories and reliable fitted cases. I had to go with a Slate 7 screen protector sold by my local ATT store so I'd have something on there - and shelled out $40, too. WE NEED A04/K01 SIZE CASES, PLEASE! AND A TPU/RUBBER SLEEVE OPTION AS WELL.

Available Space: Over half of the advertised 128GB is sapped by bloatware and a huge recovery partition. It's not easy to rectify, either, as the partition is a needful function if you want to do a factory re-image. I suggest nothing smaller than a 64GB Micro SDHC as a must-have for this. Or do some research on upgrading the SSD.

Balance: No battery in the keyboard dock makes the whole ensemble quite topple-prone unless you position the screen/tablet just right, straight up.

Software: Windows 8 non-Pro on a $1000+ device is a bit cheap. Has the same 30 Day Trial of Office 365 as the Surface Pro. Again, cheap-o for a premium priced device like this.

Cheaped Out Options: Some 700T models have GPS. This one does not, but it does utilize WiDi and TPM. No SIM slot, as expected. AT&T sells the HA1US with that. A slipcover of some kind would've been nice.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was looking for something I could use to write (novels and screenplays using the right software) and draw (using wacom technology, etc.), and that would work as a computer for everything else as well. This is it!

- The keyboard gives me no problems (another review said this is the model that Samsung fixed everything on - I believe them! But why isn't Samsung adertising this more?)

- The stylus/ drawing is awesome. I use Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop, and am loving it. That said, I haven't used the Wacom Cintiq stuff, so can't really compare to that. But compared to a regular drawing tablet and my pc, I love this. Another benefit is the tablet part is light enough you can hold it and draw, while long enough that you still feel there is enough space on the screen to draw. Awesome is all I can say. Worth the money!

- Oh, and lastly, the battery. I seem to be getting 6 or 7 hours out of it, I think. This was a worry of mine at first, but so far it has been fine, and I found out Amazon sells those battery packs (like this one: B0063KXZQ2 that can provide a full charge for this or many charges for your smatphones. I'm thinking I'll get one if I ever go on a roadtrip or 20 hour flight.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 3, 2013
I was looking for a tablet that would work just like a laptop and found it! I love the way you can hand take notes and have it save into a word document. I take it to all meetings and am able to conduct business everywhere I go. The only option that I believe is missing is the capability to connect to the internet if WiFi is not available. But thankfully most businesses have WiFi that you can connect to,
on August 22, 2013
For some context, I'm usually a Mac user, and the product similar to this that I've tried is the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13.

For anyone comparing this with a computer lacking a wacom digitizer, be aware that the digitizer/stylus works way better than touch input alone.

The multitouch and Wacom digitizer input are great to have, but incredibly frustrating in their shortcomings. Because literal touch events, mouse events (from the trackpad), and I think digitizer click events are all treated separately by Windows and by applications, there is much room for error. In general, I have found touch and digitizer events to result in poorer responsiveness than mouse clicks, and applications often respond inconsistently or incorrectly to touch gestures. For example, will a touch and drag result in scrolling or in highlighting a bunch of text? It's always a surprise...

My biggest problem is that the touch and digitizer sensors don't work consistently all the way to the edge of the screen, which makes using scroll bars a major headache. I've found it to be impossible with touch input and to require high precision with the stylus. Sometimes even with the stylus I'm unable to hit small buttons at the edge of the screen, which means I am totally stuck if I don't have the keyboard attached.

Finally, the trackpad is pretty lousy, although better than the IdeaPad 13's; I'm judging both against MacBook Pro trackpads.

My overall assessment is that multitouch and digitizer technology on PCs is still immature enough that productivity will be higher on a good regular laptop, unless you spend all your time drawing/annotating things. (Handwriting recognition is great but remember why we invented typewriters?) That said, this guy seems great among very similar options.
on October 8, 2013
Windows 8 tablets are really not in the same category as iPads and Android tabs, as they are able to run full versions of Windows 8 along with apps. This tablet is especially the case, partially because of the price (way more than an iPad or Android tab), but mainly because of its functionality. For me, this has become a total laptop replacement, which additionally incorporates a touchscreen and very accurate handwriting recognition. Highly recommended for business. Also, don't be daunted by the 128GB storage capacity- the hard drive is replaceable (if you know what you're doing and are very careful), and there are 512GB mSATA SSD's available right now. Just be sure to use Belarc Advisor (free download) to get your Windows 8 key, since there's no sticker on the unit.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 25, 2014
I got this tablet because I can take notes with a pen in MS OneNote. I am a business analyst and need to interview many people as part of my fact finding when coming into a new company. I can capture my data with microphone and pen easily with this device. It's heavier than an iPad and the battery does not last as long but I have found that I can plug it in and refresh it so the battery life is not a huge issue for me.

I give it four stars because, as far as tables go, the iPad and Android tablets have really set the bar and this tablet is simply more cumbersome to use. For example, Win 8.1 does not support zooming -- like when I use two fingers on the iPad to zoom in or out. I really miss that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
JohnSays "JohnSays":

Thank you for purchasing the Samsung ATIV Tab 7 XE700T1C-K01US.

You should be able to zoom in and out on your tablet without any problems. Please try performing an SW Update for all the drivers.

You can also contact Samsung Customer Support toll-free at 1-800-SAMSUNG and a representative will gladly assist you.

~ Samsung Printer_Monitor_PC
on December 28, 2013
I purchased this to replace my IPad original, which Apple does not update anymore, and my Atom based Asus EEE PC on which I used to run Ubuntu 12.04. Although I like Linux devices, I couldn't find any tablets that run Linux and I can't do without tablets anymore. Apple tablets and portables were not options after what I experienced with Apple not updating their products after a few years. So, my original plan was to replace those two devices with this one and it is not going bad so far.

I have been using this PC tablet for the last week. Mine is the version sold in Turkey, model number Samsung ATIV Tab 7 XE700T1C-K01TR, which should be very similar to K01US model. The tablet part is heavier than IPad but somehow I didn't feel uncomfortable holding it, I guess due to the larger size. It is very convenient to use it to read and annotate PDF documents in portrait mode. I tried several PDF readers, some of the are slow, some of them are too simple, I found Drawboard PDf to be the best option so far. It takes the advantage of the touch panel and pen input very intuitively.

I read a lot about the keyboard connection problems on this series, but I think Samsung has addressed that problem with the K01 version. For the last week I never had any keyboard disconnect problems. I already attached a wireless mouse plus a Ethernet-USB adapter to the keyboard USB ports, no problem so far. The screen is very bright, colors are wonderful.

I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 through the software update app of Samsung. It went smoothly after installing some extra drivers for the screen and other devices again through the software update app. As a nice surprise while downloading the drivers I realized a GPS device driver being installed. It looks like this PC has a built in GPS device and it really works! MS maps app immediately found my position within meters. I guess I will have to buy some maps application to use this PC as a navigator.

The pen input and Samsung S-Notes work very well but I couldn't find a way to use that app while decorating a PDF document. The windows pen text input and OCR device is not that good especially for Turkish. For English they are okay.

The pen is wonderful, the hovering and right clicking features are so good but most of the applications do not take advantage of this neat feature. For example, I like to scroll down and up without touching the screen or keyboard using the hovering mode but there is no easy way.

I am getting around 4 hours about battery life under some heavy use like installing lots of applications. The claimed 5.5 hours of battery life could be correct.

Of the 128GB of disk space, I ended up about 40 GB free space after installing my apps and moving in some data. So disk space is some concern.

The operation of the PC is very smooth, booting times, sleep and wake-up times are very short. I feel that it got better with Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 on this tablet feels okay but not perfect. While scrolling documents with my finger on the touch panel, it usually thinks I am selecting text, which is annoying. I think I will figure out some solution by adjusting some system params but still it is some annoyance.

The built quality of the device is not as solid as an Apple product but it is definitely not bad or average. The keyboard is large and easy to write, the tablet is convenient to hold. The CPU on this machine is fast and more than enough for my paper reading, document editing, browsing needs. The cooling fan is very silent but it is there as a mechanical component, which makes this device somewhat more fragile compared to other tablets.

I would have given this product a 5 star rating but I think is not perfect due to some windows related problems such as the finger scrolling problem I mentioned above. As a tablet, it is not as fast as IPad to start and check your email, and battery life is not 8 hours. As a notebook, it misses standard VGA and Ethernet ports,which can be solved by buying extra equipment. However, I think by changing a few personal usage patterns, I can still be productive with this device. I hope to see these types of hybrid devices get more popular so we have more options to choose.
on February 12, 2014
What I need is a tablet-laptop with digital pen, good hardware and reliable software.
I got this machine last fall, and using it for school since that.
The only problem I have is that once the windows system dead and I had to send it back to samsung for repair. From the internet they said it is a common problem among all brand of ATIV laptop and tablet. Just remember to back up your system every few month.
After this shock disaster my laptop working fine till now.
The battery would last about 4 hours, I can run c++, office, JMP and some other basic software in this laptop with no problem.
It is lightweight even with keyboard and charger. I also buy another "longer" digital pen(which have a higher accuracy) and cover for it to make it even work much better.
I update the system to windows 8.1, not a lot difference actually.
If the keyboard dock does not work well, you could buy any brand of Bluetooth key board for it.
Happy to see that the price is lower now, but it still is one of the best tablet in the market now.
The windows tablet still have a long way to go, probably it will be the final form of all the laptop for business and school work. But base on the hardware today, you could not expect the low voltage processor and graphic card to do too much things, which is already much better than those atom processor.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 31, 2013
I just received the unit a few hours ago. I have to give credit to Amazon Prime Saturday delivery -- awesome! Delivered to my door step less than 24 hours for a sawbuck.

The first thing that I noticed trying to setup the wifi, was that the 2 key does not work on the dock keyboard. Samsung's read-me-first documentation said to update the drivers for the dock before using it. So I ran the update process, downloading and updating many different software packages. The number 2 key still doesn't work.

I also noticed a horrible dark black shadow along one of the sides. It's so bad I was actually able to capture a picture of it.

The other weird thing that makes me suspect my unit is defective, is when I insert the unit in to the dock, there is an endless stream of funny characters. It keeps repeating until I hit another key on the keyboard. This is very repeatable and I was able to capture a video of it. Samsung documentation also suggests not to insert the unit with power on. So I'd like to know if this is a suggestion, or an absolute requirement?

Finally and I'm not sure if this is a problem with Windows 8 which I am really not very familiar with, but the trackpad on the keyboard dock does not work. The left click will work but dragging on the trackpad does not move the mouse. Actually there is no mouse pointer -- which makes me think this is operator error with Windows 8.

So overall I think this unit is going to have to go back. Whether or not I get a replacement or refund will depend on the answer to my question. Is this a defective unit or just really weird behaviors?
review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Barry Holsinger:

Thank you for purchasing the Samsung ATIV Tab 7.

The issues you are experiencing do not sound normal.

Please contact Samsung Customer Support at 1-800-SAMSUNG to speak with a representative about warranty service.

~ Samsung Printer_Monitor_PC
on February 28, 2014
Just got mine today in late morning. My earliest impressions.

So far I like it. Good quality, experience and most bang for the buck. But Samsung certainly follow apple in product design.

PROS:
LOVE the Samsung LED displays. Have two Samsung TV monitors for the desktop and this one is very high quality like the larger counterparts. Display alone is a big plus.

Machine is spiffy and responsive.

Full windows machine and tablet in a pretty neat package. (Samsung story video...marketing probably meant 'Innovative technology and not 'innovation technology')

I have read people raving about the stylus writing feature. and I agree, but will have to use and comment more.

Overall, a best in class polished effort..............

Cons:
Realtek sound and 2 watt speakers are very dull. Leave much to be desired compared to function and experience considered.

Samsung could learn from apple in avoiding cooling fans in tablets. tablets are supposed to be thin and light. Not clunky and old school hardware for new school computing.

Windows scoring gives high scores to all the hardware, and yet Intel HD4000 graphics are a big bottleneck scoring only 4.4. .Again I have to mention Apple. The engineers could have put high-end graphics like apple iPad. but most PC tablet manufacturers cut corners anyway.

Power button is in a strange place,...button placement could have been better but no biggie.

More later......