5.0 out of 5 stars So I needed to replace my CLP-315 Updates

-Its a cheap printer
-It prints good quality pictures

Con's

-Very slow printing
-It cannot print heavy paper (despite what the manufacture claims)
-Toner chips are designed to report out of toner and force you to replace them even when 2/3 full
-A set of toner Cartridges costs over $200 and lasts 350-400 pages...
Published 7 months ago by Dana Flick

5.0 out of 5 stars So I needed to replace my CLP-315 Updates, August 21, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
After about 4 years of service my CLP-315 finally quit. The drum unit needed replaced, and as anyone knows that is a hefty price tag. Initially I was excited about seeing what was new, especially "wireless". After reading reviews and reviews and reviews of printers....I decided not to get any samsung model that came before the SL-C410 and was finally leaning towards an HP. After waiting for months I picked up the quest again and saw that the SL-C410 had come out last month...but no reviews. My previous samsung was a work horse and thought its time to give the new one a shot, besides amazon sticks to its customers.

Pros:
-Read the directions...I know many previous "wireless" printers had issues with people not printing correctly....this one worked first time and seems great.
-Great color and FAS; it processes the full picture quality quickly, quietly and surprisingly without the smell that the previous model had been known to cause
-Space saving, one of the smaller printers
-prints quietly
-the wireless connection was surprisingly fast...I was not expecting to process faster than my previous USB

Cons: nothing of consequence, but will gladly update if something arises....

As of now it looks great, it seems to be ready and willing to take its place. It prints fast, almost out before I can reach down to get it. I will come back in a few months with an update...

Update...
The color is definitely an improvement over the older CLP-315, and comparable to any HP Color Laser I have at work. The reason for my update, is that I had to replace my router, and remembered I had to update the printer for it. I literally ran the software, pressed the wifi button, and it completed the task itself. You really can not ask for anything more simple. Great Job Samsung

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Compact, December 1, 2013
southshore74 (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
I am speaking being a Mac user, so windows may be different but this Printer worked right
out of the box. I don't even bother loading the Disk that comes with the unit.
Most of the time the Disk causes more problems then its worth. Prints are nice and bright.
With paper in the bottom tray, the tray does stick out another 5 inches, so don't let the
Factory pictures fool you. I will see how long these starter toner's last. Please shop around.
The price on this printer goes up and down weekly. Even the Samsung website has these for $129.
I am a bit confused on why the model of this Printer without the NFC cost $30 bucks more.
Refill Toners do seem a bit high @ $50 a pop, and there are 4 of them. Time will tell.
I will end up buying a whole new unit for what 4 toners cost. Toner $160, Printer cost $129
as of December 1st 2013.

UPDATE February 10, 2014:
Starter Toners lasted me 2 months. Yep already Shopping for toner...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good deal, March 14, 2014
Pro's

-Its a cheap printer
-It prints good quality pictures

Con's

-Very slow printing
-It cannot print heavy paper (despite what the manufacture claims)
-A set of toner Cartridges costs over $200 and lasts 350-400 pages before it "runs out"
-When you print a color picture it counts as 4 images of the 16000 the printer is rated for, once this number is reached you cannot print until you spend $100 on a new imager unit (unless you hack the printer with a imaging unit Rom rewriting chip from Amazon/Ebay. the imagers actually get about double or even triple the life of the factory rating)

If your not the kinda person that either
1)prints a couple pages a month
2) Like to tinker and are comfortable with reloading toner, resetting chips and skirting factory disablers.

this printer should be avioded. for the same price you can get a decent inkjet that will print as nice and cost far less on ink refills.
Personally I would not buy another one of these (or even the one I have now hind site being 20/20), It has failed to meet basic expectations and costs about .78 cents a page to print color with buying factory replacements. At that cost I can drive to Staples and pay for premium printing and save money.

4.0 out of 5 stars WiFi problems but Refreshing Tech Support That Didn't Quit, March 3, 2014
Max Rottersman (Cambridge, MA 02140) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
I am upgrading this review to 4 stars for two reasons. First, Samsung made a huge effort to get it working for me. A high level support person spent over an hour with me last night. He was able to get it working when connected through Ethernet to my router, a Cicso/Linksys WRT54GS2. I could also see it through my Chrome book wireless, when connected thus.

He speculated that the problem of making the printer completely wireless (that is to router) might be the router. I looked up the WRT54GS2 and it came out in mid 2010, almost 4 years old. I believe the printer would work completely wirelessly with a new router, but I will probably end up keeping it connected through Ethernet to the current router because it will be faster that way and I'm tired of networking ;) If I get a new router I will update this review.

Also, on the 8 character router password, he said he didn't have that problem with other setups and was probably a limitation of the router and the authentication I was using WPA Personal (and not version 2).

The second reason is that the print quality of the printer is very high and I love that, for a color laser printer, it is light. As a USB printer I would have given it 5 stars for value. I printed a couple of photos and was impressed by the quality (for a laser printer).

FROM BEGINNING

Spent oodles of hours trying to get printer to connect on WiFi. Samsung tech support ultimately came through for me.

My router is a late-model Cisco / Linksys. Turns out the Samsung wouldn't connect to the router with a password longer than 8 characters (mine was 13 characters). When I changed it to 8 characters it worked.

Also, Windows 8 (countless, the number of ways that software is abominable) does not let you change the password on a network by right clicking. You have to "forget the network" first. Yes, Microsoft, I would never want to change the password, I would want to forget the network!

Will post update when I start using the printer. I'm giving it 3 stars because this password issue is either a Samsung software bug, or should be listed as a potential problem in their FAQs.

UPDATE 3/3/2014

WARNING, There may be a factory Wi-Fi problem with this printer. I can't connect to it wirelessly through another PC without FIRST configuring it through USB. This means you would have to drag every computer over to it to get it to connect wirelessly. That is not my idea of wireless ;)

Their tech support sent me to the instructions and there is a link to set it up manually, wirelessly, but the content was changed for USB only. It seems the printer does not correctly broadcast itself properly for Windows to see it so Samsung is not longer supporting wifi setup of this printer.

I am downgrading this review to 1-star until Samsung corrects this, or what I have found.

UPDATE 3/4/2014

I sent an email to Samsung. They replied with one of those emails you can't reply to. They sent the same instructions that don't work. I am giving up on getting the printer to work wirelessly and will use it as a USB printer and throw it out when the cartridges give out.

[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst printer I have ever had the misfortune of purchasing, June 26, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
This is hands-down the worst printer I've ever bought. Not only has it broken 6 times in the past year, customer service each time was incompetent and completely unhelpful. I've gotten drum error more times than I can count. The last time, the wireless stopped working randomly. It's the worst printer I have ever experienced.

Each time I call customer service, the person spends about an hour to 2 hours trying the SAME troubleshoot over and over, then begins accusing me of having done something to cause the damage, before they finally tell me to send it in for repairs. And once you send it in for repair they don't give you any update for weeks unless you call them and ask what the hell is going on. At which point they'll tell you it'll be done in a week. When you call back a week later, they'll tell you another week.

Worst purchase I've ever made. I never feel the need to leave negative reviews on products no matter how bad the item is... after 6 or 7 times of having to send this hunk of garbage in for repairs, I had to make an exception.

If you value your sanity, avoid this printer. It has been the biggest headache I've ever had to deal with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable with frustrating customer service, March 15, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
After 200 pages, a black streak appeared at the right side of the page. I called customer service. Level 1 made me go through TWICE the cleaning instructions in the user manual, which I had already done. Time taken, 2 hours. Then Level 2 started all over again, and decided it might be the toner and sent me to Executive Service. I waited on hold for over an hour.

The representative started the same BS again, and I stopped him and demanded that he replace the black toner under warranty. He gave me an email address to send my Amazon invoice with a very imperious tone of dismissal. In three weeks time for shipping, I should know if the black toner is the problem or some other source of the streak must be sought.

I do not recommend in any way the company nor this printer.

Update:

It takes them two weeks to get you a label to ship the toner back, then two weeks to send you a replacement toner. Therefore, a month to even see if the streak is because of the toner.

Further Update:

They sent a label, but no box or other packaging. The printer comes with the toners already installed (with tape you take off). No one could figure out what to do. Two calls assured me they would speak to head supervisors and get back to me.

It is now April 13 and I have had several calls a week apart. A month to even get close to a path on my defect. They will refund the cost of the toner after it is returned, because THEY HAVE NO TONERS. No return box. They suggest I BUY a new toner from Amazon and see if it fixes the problem. Good luck with that one. DOWN with SAMSUNG.

This is junk, a horrible company. DO NOT PURCHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update May 1

The toner does not fix the problem and they want me to travel 30 miles in urban congestion to have it assessed.

This is a horrible company, overly managed (you might go through three people to set up a return label). I am throwing the thing out with celebration

Samsung is done for me and my consulting clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, October 2, 2013
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
This is our first laser printer. I suspect it must be the newer technology LED printer, but have seen no proof of that. We are a low volume print household. We got tired of ink jets and their inefficient use of ink. We have had the printer for over 2 weeks and only printed about a dozen pages. We had 2 day delivery and upon delivery I noticed one edge of the printer driver CD sleeve was bent pretty bad. The exterior of the shipping box showed no damage. The CD appeared ok, but I should have looked at it more carefully. When I put it in the CD drive to load the driver, the CD rattled bad and would not load. A closer inspection showed it was bent/warped. So, I went to the Samsung web site and downloaded the driver. That was the only glitch. I have the printer wired to the router and have printed from multiple computers with no problems. The printer driver has a nice interface and on-screen assistance for showing how to do the manual duplex printing. The black print is not quite as dark black as the ink jet print, but that is inconsequential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dishonest Marketing Photos -- Paper Tray Protrudes 3", January 2, 2014
nozama (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
I bought this because I wanted a compact printer for very occasional use without having to worry about ink drying out. The printer achieves that, but I was disappointed to find that the paper tray extends three inches when loaded with letter size paper. It's not a huge deal, but if you look at all of Samsung's marketing material it never shows the printer loaded with paper, even when they show the printer "in use" with printed pages in the output tray. Anyway, the printer's still pretty small, has decent print quality, easy WPS wireless setup, and was really cheap, so I only docked it one star for the weaselly marketing crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Tiny. Easy setup for Mac & Windows. Great print quality. Slightly bigger footprint than you'd expect., September 11, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
I use this for light printing at home, and it is fantastic. The smallest color laser I could find. Setup was a breeze for both me (Windows) and my fiance (Mac). And my Samsung tablet just knew the printer was there, magically--no setup required!

We've been using a typical inkjet for years, but it's been finicky with colors drying up, horizontal lines, etc. I got fed up and bought this guy. Great idea. We quickly abandoned the inkjet for everything except photos, because the quality of this C410W is so great.

ONE WARNING: the footprint is about 3 inches bigger than what you see in the photo. Once you load the paper tray, it does not go all the way back into the printer; it protrudes by 3" (sticks out like a tongue). That's with normal letter-size paper. It looks fine but takes up a bit more space than you'd expect from the pics. Still a TINY size for a color laser. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, January 16, 2014
This review is from: Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer (Office Product)
I am very impressed with the quality of this printer. I replaced an older HP1600 laser printer. I have been looking for a while for an affordable printer that would meet my needs without blowing my budget both in initial purchase, and supplies. Very easy to set up, and great software to work with.

Samsung Xpress SL-C410W/XAA Color Printer