on November 20, 2012
The Samsung Convoy 2 from Verizon meets military specs-which means it works great for those of us with arthritis in the hands. Other phones with a touch screen are too slippery for me to handle and the buttons on other phones are too small. This phone has large buttons and grips well when you are searching for it in your bag. You can't "butt dial" or take pictures of your steering wheel which happens with other phones, either. I like the voice call feature, too, as I don't text and drive. I have dropped it a few times with no harm done! The only thing that bugs me is the volume on the side which is too easy to accidentally turn up or down. If you don't have arthritis get the fancy phone-if you do, this phone is for you.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had the original Convoy for a little over two years. Battery life was always very good until the past few months. I figured it just needed a new battery so I ordered a very cheap battery online. That one also did not hold a charge very long so I bought yet another battery and still the battery life was short. So I figured the phone was causing the short battery life (about two days) and I needed to get a new phone.

I didn't buy the phone from Amazon but wanted to review it so came here to do so.

I've always been pleased with the old Convoy with a few quirks that I didn't like. First I've used it in dirty conditions, also on my boat where my hands were wet, and it has worked flawlessly with the exception of the shorter battery life the past several months. When new I would not have to charge the phone more often than about once a week.

The little quirks that I didn't like about the old Convoy were the outside buttons would be depressed in my pocket by something like my keys and it would begin to quietly beep every time I moved my leg. I would find it in some mode like playing music. I wish I could disable the external buttons on the face.

The old Convoy was also pretty thick. It was okay in my pocket but thinner would be much appreciated. Also the old Convoy had many raised buttons or button like bumps around the edge. Some were functional buttons like the speakerphone, but others were decorative and added confusion.

I didn't expect much because I was just looking to replace my old Convoy with a new one that worked like new. Then I found there was this new model. I read up on it a little bit then ordered it. I am pleased with several aspects of the new Convoy 2.

Here is what I like about the new Convoy 2.

Pros:
- The Convoy 2 is slightly thinner and perhaps slightly lighter than the Convoy 1
- I believe the volume is much louder on the Convoy 2 than the Convoy 1
- The Convoy 2 has a flash for the camera, but it is easily also used as a flashlight.
- The little false buttons on the Convoy 1 have been designed out of the Convoy 2
- The Convoy 2 uses a standard USB connector for charging

Cons:
- Both the Convoy 1 and Convoy 2 are quite thick given the wide variety of phones on the market that have similar features and are much thinner.
- Strangely the Convoy 2 does not have the two small slots next to the battery cover to help removing the cover.

Don't cares:
- The camera. I have used it occasionally but I always carry my iPod Touch 5th gen which I use when I want to take photos or videos.
- Push To Talk. It might be useful for those on construction sites but even if I had a PTT partner I find those phones annoying when I hear people using them.
- Music app. I use my iPod Touch for music.
- Internet features. We have the data plan completely disabled on Verizon so we don't occur any extra data charges.

I use the phone for a phone. That's all.

I was able to copy contacts from the old phone to the new Convoy 2. They supposedly supply a method to do that but it won't work for use because we have disabled internet access. The Contacts list on the old phone could easily be copied to the microSD card from the Contacts menu. However, strangely, the Contacts menu does not allow one to copy contacts from the microSD card back to the phone! But deep in the menu system I was able to find Settings & Tools -> Memory -> Card Memory -> Move All To Phone. I have the crippled Verizon of the phone with Verizon alterations. I don't know what the phone options are if you are on another system besides Verizon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2013
This is an awesome phone. I've had mine for two years and it's been through a lot. My son and I both have dropped this phone from high places and he even dropped it in lemonade and most recently the toilet. After a day in a bag of rice, it was good as new. It has very good reception; I've never had a dropped call. And some will tell you that it's the service and not the phone, but I've had other phones with the same service that dropped calls constantly. I thought it wouldn't recover from the last drop in water, so I got a new phone. Ended up getting a smartphone, but when my contract is up, or if my smart phone dies unexpectedly, I will get another convoy. That smart phone has big shoes to fill.
on January 17, 2012
My husband has this phone and recommends it highly. He liked the original Convoy a lot, but thought a better quality camera and one with flash would be nice since he takes a lot of pictures. It's perfect for someone who needs a solid phone with good battery life and a decent quality camera.
on January 18, 2013
When this phone was released I was hoping for an upgraded version of my beloved Convoy; but the so-called "improvements" are not worth the "flash" about it. I didn't realize a flash player and flashlight would tax the other features the Convoy1 had(such as the internal memory,music player and the sturdy flip hinge).
The more I used the Convoy2, the more I hated it.
1. The first thing I noticed was the weak flip hinge. If you pick up a Convoy2 carelessly the phone falls open.
The Convoy stays closed no matter how you pick it up.
2. The internal memory is pathetic. I kept getting memory alerts on accepting text or pic messages; "insufficient memory cannot load music"; "delete files"; etc. There was a 16GB micro card in it,too.
The Convoy has great memory without a micro card.
3. You would think that files and data on a micro sd card would transfer from phone A1 to phone A2, correct? NO THEY DON"T! The Convoy2 couldn't detect any photos, pics or ringtones on the card at all.
The Convoy read pics and music on a micro card from my LG Swift. Not even the same maker. How about that?
Overall, the Convoy U660 is a lousy phone without comparing it to the first version due to the flip hinge and memory. Needless to say, I switched back to and still use my Convoy U640!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2012
A good basic phone. I previously rated this phone poorly, but found that my usage of it needed education and improving. Now that I've learned to use it, I like it. Has a handy Micro SD card slot which holds a good deal of music and photos. The music can be downloaded from a PC, and the photos uploaded to it. The camera is not near-professional quality but is pretty good, expecially if the photos are touched up in a Photoshop type program. Shoots videos also. Drawback: the camera and video controls and responses are a little slow. Altogether, for those who want to avoid smartphones, this is a good basic phone with a few smartphone-type features.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 19, 2012
This phone is exactly what someone needs if they are hard on phones. This phone is shock resistant, dust and water resistant! The speaker phone is really loud and the numbers are large and view-able. One of the best things about this phone is that the battery will last a couple days without charging it! I love this phone!
on January 12, 2013
Verified Purchase
I lost my last phone by having it slip out of my pocket and into the 2" of water I was trying to pump out of my parents home after heavy rains. That was the last straw after dropping the phone many times before. This seems sturdy and it is simple. I am not a complicated gadget person. I like to make calls, have the ability to take a photo and have a variety of fun yet simple ring tones. This phone does that. There seems to be a little bit of a delay after I press buttons- I would like it to be a bit quicker, but a fair trade for something that will take my clumsiness.
on May 20, 2013
Verified Purchase
Great basic phone that can still be purchased w/o having to add a data conract. Tough phone as it's been dropped several times and shows no physical damage and phone still works. Nice size, fits easily in hand and pocket. On speaker and normal use when volume is turned up to max the sound may loose some clarity but I'm sure that one may be related to other background noise and user voice. I'd buy this phone again. Actually I did, this was a replacement for same phone that went thru the washing machine.
on August 2, 2012
Verified Purchase
Delivery was speedy. Phone was the same model I was replacing (due to my carelessness) and, while not as nice as my new one, is acceptable for the price. Just has some dings & scratches. Works fine so far.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations