5.0 out of 5 stars Values for today from a tale of 1627, June 1, 2000
This review is from: Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy (Paperback)
This is a wonderful, wonderful book. It will help you teach your children about hard work, perseverance, and family. My children want it read to them again and again.
Young Samuel Eaton (a historical character) is looking forward to his first chance to help his father bring in the crops. He finds the work incredibly hard, and the coarse grain raises bad blisters on his hands. But he perseveres, and at the end of the day when his father tells him "you did a man's work today, Samuel," we feel his pride.
Masterfully written, beautifully photographed, this is a gem in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for learning about life as a pilgrim boy!, November 12, 1999
By A Customer
This book took us back to 1627. We learned all about Samuel Eaton's first day as a man. He told us all about the hard work he had to do in the fields. It was so interesting to read a story that used different words from long ago. The pictures were awesome! They showed us the clothing the pilgrims wore, what their house looked like, and the hard work everybody did. We thought it would be difficult to be a pilgrim boy! We think everyone should read this book because you can learn a lot about how the pilgrims lived. Read this wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, June 12, 2003
I am continually amazed at how children's books offer detail and insight into daily life that no stout history book can provide.
Writing the same review for the other two in this trilogy. Excellent all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy, January 21, 2007
I used this book as part of the third grade curriculum. We are studying Massachusetts History. This book and its partner books about Sarah Morton, a Pilgrim Girl and Tapenum a Wampanoag Indian boy were excellent!!

The texts and pictures were well researched and presented. Plymouth Plantation and the reenactors there provide an authentic setting. Homes, clothing, work and play of children during this period are acurately shown. These books should be in every school library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good children's historical book, May 3, 2014
E. Pandosh "momofant" (Coatesville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
As a teacher I use this book every November. I like that it simply tells about a typical day for a pilgrim child. It has some historical references to things like clothing and what they were called. The kids like this book year after year.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Addition to the Thanksgiving Read-Aloud Basket, November 14, 2014
Samuel Eaton is a seven-year-old Pilgrim in 1627 Plymouth, a peer of Sarah Morton, and his story is another installment of Kate Waters' historical reenactment series. Similar in quality to the others in the series, this has a bit more of a story than Sarah Morton's Day. Young Samuel, seeking to earn his place in his community, entreats his father to let him work at the rye harvest, and though the work is difficult he pushes himself hard, earning the praise of the men with whom he works.

Samuel, like Sarah, has a step-parent -- both of them lost a parent in the difficult early times of the settlement. Unlike Sarah, however, who worries about her stepfather's acceptance, Samuel seems very secure in his new family's love. He contributes enthusiastically to his household, plays kindly with his young stepsister, and shares a sweet connection with his stepmother. This book, probably more than any of the others, gives the reader a sense of the difficult, often desperate work required for the Pilgrims to survive in their strange new home. He also greets two Native friends while out gathering food, reminding us how much the Pilgrims owed to the Native people who welcomed them. It's another great addition to a Thanksgiving read-aloud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, March 24, 2014
This was a wonderful booklet. I bought it for my grandchildren to read so they'll be come interested and knowledgeable about the Mayflower times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid Photographs, November 24, 2007
I teach Pre-K, and used this book along with other books by Kate Waters (The Mayflower,Sarah Morton's Day, and Tapenum's Day)to teach my November unit on the Pilgrims and the Native Americans. The photographs, which I primarily used, are an excellent source for my young students to visualize how things were. (I also left them in our library to look at at their leisure.) The text, which is understandable for this age, was a bit long for them to sit for during circle time. However, I wish I had these books when my own children were younger, because they would have had no trouble listening to them one on one. I remember how excited my children were when learning of this era. These books would have been some of their favorites, and I highly recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars This helped me connect with my past!, December 20, 2010
I am a direct descendant of Samuel Eaton. I teach fifth grade U.S. History. I discovered my family connection during my family tree research and discovered Samuel and his father Francis. When I found this book and that the person in the book is not only real but my ancestor I was overwhelmed with joy. My students now see how their own families can be a part of history. This made so many of my students begin a passion for family tree research. I took a trip to Plymouth in the summer of 2009 with a group of teachers and as we visited Plymouth Rock, the Marflower II and Plymouth Plantation, I began to feel my connection to Samuel and his Dad Francis. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, excellent photographs, May 5, 2009
This series is wonderful. The photographs depict everday life during the time period of the pilgrims, and period vocabulary is introduced, with a glossary in the back. Kate Waters (author) & Russ Kendall(photographer) follow a Samuel Eaten's activities for one day. The setting, clothing, etc. is authentic and helps students (and adults) visualize what life was like during that time. I have used this series many times with my students, and I think it is one of the best resources for teaching Elementary age students about this time period.

Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy by Kate Waters (Paperback - November 1, 1996)
$6.99