5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Stunning
First off, this OVA series is very different than the TV series. It's much more serious, bloody, poetic, and the art is very different. Don't expect to see any of Kenshin's silliness and "oro!" remarks here. Don't worry--you still have the voice actors from the TV series in Japanese.

Since there have already been plot reviews, I'm not going to go over that...
Published on August 22, 2005 by ElvenArcher

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible OVA!
If you're a fan of the original Rurouni Kenshin anime, or a fan of the Manga, do NOT watch this OVA. The animation style doesn't work well with what Rurouni Kenshin is about, the amount of blood is too over-the-top (I'm a huge Mortal Kombat fan, by the way, so I don't say that often), and the plot is twisted from the original to the point where it seemed like they were...
Published 8 months ago by Jake Volz

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Stunning, August 22, 2005
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)

Since there have already been plot reviews, I'm not going to go over that again. In my opinion, I found the plot for all 3 OVAs to be brilliant.

In Trust and Betrayal, you get to find out more about Kenshin's past as a Hitokiri and how he got his cross-chaped scar. These 2 OVAs were my favorite. The music was breathtaking and wonderful, as was the animation, although I preferred the TV series' style. There's also a lot of symbolism going on--the crosses in the graveyard and Kenshin's scar, the white plum, etc. The sheer beauty of these OVAs can also be seen in several scenes such as the part in Trust where Kenshin is attacked by an assassin as Tomoe is walking down the street. That whole sequence with the "bloody rain" is silently powerful and very memorable. The ending of Betrayal was very moving as well as Kenshin is out helping in battles while the wonderful music score is playing in the background.

Reflection takes the viewer 15 years after the TV series. All the characters have obviously aged, especially Kenshin. This OVA consists of many flashbacks to the events in the TV series. For those of you who haven't seen the TV series, some of these flashbacks may not make too much sense. If you're familiar with the happy, funny Kenshin from the manga or TV series, you'll be surprised at this. The characters, although they have matured, seem to have undergone extreme personality reconditioning. For some viewers, it might be horrible to see the characters like this. Kenshin is all depressed and guilty, and he's also rather selfish in a way. While doing the generous act of helping the world, Kenshin is simultaneously selfishly leaving Kaoru to wait for him to return home. Sanosuke, who is supposed to always be with Kenshin, lets Kenshin leave on the ship alone in his weak state. The real Sano wouldn't do that. With that aside, Reflection is a very moving conclusion to Samurai X that brought me to tears several times. The scene where Sano tosses the fish to Kenshin was an especially memorable scene that shows just how much Kenshin has aged from being a strong swordsman to his present state. The saddest part was the end, of course. The way that it was set up, plus the amazing music, help make it even more powerful.

Now that I'm done rambling about why I like the OVAs, I'll point out a couple of things I didn't like:

-The English dub wasn't too good. PLEASE watch it in Japanese with subtitles!

-There's a couple scenes where "real life" shots were put in. (Real water, real trees, real fire, etc) They were a little awkward and made me chuckle.

-Kenshin doesn't really use breathtaking sword techniques. You just see him slashing a lot.

-The extras and special features weren't all that special

And I'll sum up the good parts:

-One of the BEST musical scores I have heard in my life--ranging from exciting percussion rythmns to sad, moving, and beautiful pieces. (There are 2 scores to this--one for Trust and Betrayal, and another for Reflection)

-Action!

-Beautiful--art, story, the way it was told.

Yeah, that's about it. I think that any Kenshin fan should give these OVAs a try after watching the TV series. If you can't seem to keep your attention in movies or anime, you might want to skip this one. It's not one of those edge-of-your-seat presentations. This movie really makes you think. Oh, and younger people shouldn't see this. Trust is a little gory, the OVAs in general might be too hard to understand, and all the poetic beauty and symbolism might be overlooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious perspective for Rurouni Kenshin fans., February 20, 2005
In Search Of... (Somerset, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
This OVA set focuses on the serious and melancholic side to the Rurouni Kenshin universe. It's a wonderful compliment to the more light-hearted TV series. After seeing the TV series, I highly recommend watching this OVA.

The TV series masterfully balances humor and drama while leaving the fans with a feeling of happiness. The OVA on the other hand, focuses on the internal struggle of Kenshin Himura as he learns the way of the Hiten Mitsurugi style and becomes the feared Hitokiri Battousai. It certainly shows the viciousness of Kenshin in the graphic violence in the anime. It definitely has a mature theme. The action sequences were much more fierce and unforgiving as the acts of the manslayer were depicted. I was shocked at some of the gruesome deaths of the people.

There was also a constant atmosphere of sadness throughout the anime. The music was beautiful with a very sad overtone. I was surprised at how moving the story was as the history of his distinctive cross-shaped scar was revealed. His heart could not cope with the trials and tribulations as he continually tried to attone for his past actions.

This OVA is a masterpiece and I highly recommend it. However, I must admit that I was left with a very somber feeling after finishing it. I was very touched with the characters and storytelling, especially with the flashbacks. Even if you have not seen the TV series, I highly recommend this boxed set. However, I would not recommend this for younger kids as the nature of the violence and melancholic tone may not hold their attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good presentation for a good product., August 23, 2004
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
A lot of people have written reviews about this OVA series in general, but no one's really addressed this specific packaging of it: specifically, it's a three-disc set with the original four-episode series, "Trust" and "Betrayal" (Tsukioku hen, I think, was the Japanese title) on two discs, and the third disc with the new OVA episodes, "Reflection" ("Seisou Hen").

The discs themselves include a fair amount of extras: there could be more, but then again they could have opted for none.

Personally, I like having the discs arranged in this format. Back in 2000 I bought the original videotapes when they came out. I bought "Trust" at least two or three months (or more) before "Betrayal" and perhaps because of that I've felt that it's best to watch the two halves separately and give the contents some time to "digest" if you will. If you haven't seen it before, trust me, watch the first one one night and the next one the following night. Then watch them both back-to-back the third, and you'll see that these really feel better when they have some breathing space. Of course, that's my opinion.

"Reflection" is a difficult matter. The first series is a good stand-alone, even if you're not familiar with the Kenshin series or otherwise have no interest in it (I know a lot of people who can't *stand* the show because of the cuteness factor, but love the OVA). "Reflection" is kind of dependant on one's knowledge of not only the show, but the manga to some extent as well (at least, if you're not aware that the third story arc of the manga is the "Jinchuu" arc and that Enishii comes back, it might be a little mystifying). It's not an "independant" film, it's more of a completion to the Kenshin franchise. However, that's not to steer you away from it, actually, I think it's a fantastic story, and having been into Kenshin for about four years now, it brings it all full circle quite well. But if you have little or no familiarity with the Kenshin series in general, a little research into the characters and events of the series would probably help out a lot.

If you don't have ANY Samurai X stuff (and I'm ignoring "The Motion Picture") my advice is that this is an excellent way to start. Essentially, you get everything, and having read a little on the "Trust" and "Betrayal" Director's Cut, you're not missing out on anything versus other packages. For me, it was a good way to replace my old VHS tapes, but for new fans, it's a good way to get everything in one package without having to spend too much money.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite anime movie since Akira, August 29, 2004
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
This is one of the best anime films ever created. Before I move on, I just want to warn you, this movie is VERY violent and VERY graphic.

Part 1: Trust
This is realy the most violent of the three. It tells us how Kenshin became the assasin that slashed open the Meiji Era.

Part 2: Betrayal
This one is the least bloody. It shows how "Even the darkest heart is an easy victom for unexecpted emotions."

Part 3: Reflection
"The Final Atonement" This is the final OVA DVD and takes place after the TV series. I know I am not going to spoil it, but I think you should know, NOTHING can prepare you for its mind - blowing conculsion.

I hope my review helps and to all parents, I reccomend not leting children under the age of 14 watch this movie.

P.S. forgive me if I misspelled, it is 12:30 AM and i'm tired.

GOODBYE

5.0 out of 5 stars More Serious than the Series, January 20, 2005
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
Rurouni Kenshin, the TV series, is a somewhat light-hearted tale about an ex-assassin resigned to never kill again. I was honestly not a huge fan of the series, but i would rate this OVA as one of the great pieces of animation ever. It takes place during the Meiji revolution- the time when Kenshin was an assassin-a killer. Samurai X is significantly more somber than the television series. The animation is more detailed and realistic; the musical score is more refined; the story is more contemplative. This is a deep OVA that will leave you feeling for the characters. It mixes an outstanding plot with cool writing and poetic voilence. There is really no clear cut line of right and wrong, everyone has his/her own motivations. Resolve, regret, courage, love, doubt, determination, sacrafice, honor, purpose, anguish... this is a great story filled will all these, and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you can ask for in a compact package!, June 20, 2004
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
From the groundbreaking work of Nobuhiro Watsuki, Rurouni Kenshin, comes the prequel and the sequels to this paramount anime series. The Trust and Betrayal (prequel) OAVs are unparallel to anything you have ever seen before. The darkness that surrounds the story of kenshin's old man-slayer days reflets his feelings at the time and adds greatly to the story. For all you thrill-seekers, the action in this movie is unmatched by any other. Also, there's a very complex love story intertwined masterfully into the blood and gore that was the transition period between the Tokugawa Era to the Meiji Era. These turbulent times were the perfect setting for this story to take place. The battles fought in the movie were actual historical battles at those exact locations. The names of the clans were also real (The "Imperialists" [Choushu clan] Mibu's wolves [Shinsengumi], etc). The plot is wonderful, the story reels you in and the animation and music is simply superb! The animation is sleek and you feel as if you're witnessing all the action first hand! The music is also a vital part of this series. The composer of all the great instrumentals in this movie is Taku Iwasaki. The music sets the mood for the movie. For example in the battle scenes when "One more Red Nightmare" comes on, it sets that dark killing mood into place that just compliments those scenes perfectly. "Shades of Revolution" also gives the movie that mysterious touch, with the eerie wolf howls and violin pieces, it is again unparallel to any other music in any other anime series.

The same can be said of the Reflection OAV. This is the sad part of the story, how the whole story wraps up. Of course, not in the original plotline of what Nobuhiro Watsuki originally wrote, but it is indeed a good rendition. (Of course nothing compares to the original story in the Manga of Rurouni Kenshin, but that's another point.)

Not enough can be said about this, any anime fan HAS to experience the beautiful story of Rurouni Kenshin. There are not enough stars in this review to rate this, I would personally give it as many stars as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kenshin just got better, July 27, 2004
S. J Powell "Rurouni" (Tokyo, 1864 Bakumatsu era) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
Samurai X tells the tale of Kenshin Himura (the star of Rurouni Kenshin)during the days of the Bakumatsu when he was Battousai the manslayer. Kenshin is rescued by Seijuro Hiko and transformed into the ultimate assassin. During a rainy night he encounters a beautiful young woman named Tomoe. He rescues her and each eventually start to find out a little more about eachother. Because Kenshin is wanted for killing so many, including Tomoe's fiance, and Tomoe unsure of ever leading a happy life, they begin to find their answers in eachother, only to be torn apart by fate and the world around them.

This is a top-notch series. Instead of the bubbly pop music found i most recent anime, Samurai X contains beautiful violin pieces. The animation is great and the characters realistic. Buy it if you like samurai flicks, violent anime, or just Kenshin. Can't go wrong with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best anime's I've ever seen!, November 18, 2005
thechicagoway (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
I do not own this particular boxset, but I have seen all three dvd's and I'm planning on getting this soon.

I first saw Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal, (or Rurouni Kenshin as it's called in Japan), when I was 15. I was having a sleepover party and one of my friends had brought it over. I remember watching it and I swear I couldn't lift my jaw off the ground! I was shocked beyond belief! The animation, the music, the characters all were unbelievable! Even though it was a bit gory at times, it never drew me away from the story!

Kenshin's story previous to the series, is so tragic, you can't help but feel sorry for him by the end of this OVA collection. His love for Tomoe and what he ultimately did to her, are repeatedly shown throughout the series. !!SPOILERS!! Even though he ended up with Kaoru after Tomoe died, it still never lost it's true spirit. Probably one of the things I liked the most about this series was the music! There were times where I found myself watching scenes over and over again just to listen to the music! If there is only one reason for you to buy this series, let the music be it! So powerful and emotional!

I have to say, I haven't seen much of the Rurouni Kenshin TV series, but what I've seen I haven't liked. Kenshin is too happy and lighthearted and I found myself more drawn to this than the other series. Even though it is required to watch some of the TV series in order to understand the flashbacks in Reflection, it did not draw me away from it, and at the end I almost started crying!

5 stars definitely! And as the Japanese voice seiyuu (voice actor) for Kenshin says, "Let Kenshin live in our hearts forever!"

5.0 out of 5 stars one that is WORTH YOUR WHILE to get, June 19, 2005
Jaggie (Owensboro, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
Samurai X OVA is by far my favorite anime of all time. And that's saying a lot, cause I live and breathe anime. It keeps you holding your breath to the very last second. I have to admit, I bawled like a baby during each episode. Just seeing the true devotion, the true passion, the true LOVE... there's no other anime that can even compare...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, May 7, 2004
This review is from: Samurai X - OVA Collection (DVD)
I love the anime series of Rurouni Kenshin, but the OVA's, especially Trust and Betrayal, are simply amazing! I loved seeing Kenshin as a young and serious hitokiri and later, as a happily married man.
One of the box collection extras are brief character analysis, including Kenshin, Tomoe, Hiko Seijuro, and Enishi. Kenshin's superiors are also included, something I thought was extremly helpful, as I kept confusing some of the leaders of the clans. Also, some historical background information is provided which further helped me understand what things were like during that time period.
Again, I LOVE Kenshin and would highly recommend the OVA collection to anyone who doesn't already own the OVA's.

Samurai X - OVA Collection
Samurai X - OVA Collection by Kazuhiro Furuhashi (DVD - 2004)
Out of stock