5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting coffee
As many other reviews have mentioned, these are not the normal K-Cups, but they work much the same. I generally drink the stronger K-cups (Emeril's, Jet Fuel, Kona, etc), and I find that these Fog Chaser pods compare very favorably. There is no bitter aftertaste, just smooth flavor. I have not had any sediment at the bottom of my cup (I've had sediment from other K-Cups)...
Published on January 22, 2012 by Rhody Shopper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Really K-Cups But They Do Fit in Your Keurig
Don't be alarmed when you receive these and they don't look like a standard K-cup. These are not K-cups, but dowill fit in your machine. I thought I had ordered the wrong product at first. These simply have a plastic ring at the top so that they'll fit in your K-cup holder and the rest of it is like a standard coffee filter. I've only tried Fog Chaser (ordered all 3...
Published on January 9, 2012 by Stacy L

‹ Previous | 14 5 691 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value., March 4, 2012
S. Jacobson (Los Angeles, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: San Francisco Bay Coffee Fog Chaser, 36-Count OneCup Single Serve Cups (Grocery)
I believe this coffee tastes as good as any brand of K-Cup I've ever tried while currently costing about a third less (using subscribe and save on Amazon). It actually tastes fresher to me than other K-Cups, possibly because it arrives packed in a plastic bag which seems airtight until opened.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average K-cup, but worth a taste, March 2, 2012
I have my concerns about this coffee's packaging, but the important part first: It tastes good. Fog Chaser is a little more robust than I like for a morning blend (I tend toward a Dunkin Donuts style coffee first thing in the AM), but is perfect for afternoon or evening. The nonstandard pods fit into my B70 and while there has been occasional sediment, it's not been a problem with the majority of my 36-pod pack; at least, not as bad as (say) Grove Square. Yes, I'd buy these again.

Now the negatives. As has been stated, the pods aren't plastic cups with embedded filters, sealed by a foil cover, but rather filter pouches with a plastic ring and foil cover. There's no need to punch a drain hole in the plastic cup, since there isn't one. I've heard concerns about the Keurig success causing more spent K-cups to be dumped in trash tips and landfills; I'd also guess that the construction makes it a non-trivial recycling task. So a redesign with less plastic would seem like a good thing.

However, one of the charms of Keurig is that the cup is packed in a relatively inert gas: I've heard nitrogen, which would make sense. Oxygen is the enemy of coffee. Old coffee goes stale because it oxidizes. Keeping air away from coffee keeps it fresh... but the coffee in the San Francisco Bay Coffee company's packaging hasn't this feature. The bags (containing twelve pods each) are heavy-duty plastic with a metal button of unknown purpose, and perhaps those bags are filled with something other than oxygen... but as soon as you take them out, the coffee begins to deteriorate.

Not that this happens in a matter of seconds, or even days. After all, keeping the lid on a pound can of coffee (I can actually remember when a pound was sixteen ounces, not 13.5) kept the coffee fresh enough, assuming you were a regular drinker. If you use a ziploc bag to store the unused pods from an opened bag, I'm sure that they'll stay fresh enough in the week or two that the bag lasts.

My concern, though, is for occasional coffee drinkers, for whom the Keurig system is a godsend. For example, I dated a woman who hated coffee, but wanted me to have some when I visited. Having fresh coffee in an inert storage container would have been great. These, though, might go bad in between my visits to her house.

So in conclusion, go ahead and buy these if you're a frequent coffee drinker who will finish a whole 12-pod bag in less than a month. Keep a couple of ziploc bags (sandwich bags hold 6) for storage. Companies that go through a whole lot of K-cups ought really to like these, especially since they're about 10% under the cost of most K-cups.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee - Does not store well/Porous Bottom, February 27, 2012
The K-cups have a plastic ring around the top but the bottom part is porous - I could smell the coffee when I
opened the pack...cannot store in KCup rack and must keep them in a ziplock bag to keep coffee fresh..that is why I gave it only 4 stars Each order comes in three 12-pack bags...Oh...the taste is great...nice and strong, and dark as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY PARENTS LOVE IT!, November 26, 2011
mrs_belle "mrs_belle" (Texas and California) - See all my reviews
I purchased this 3 pack for my parents as a pre-Christmas gift. (I did not want to be late or it the shipping date to get away from me!)

They LOVE the taste and aroma, both are in sync.

It is worth it as a gift and for yourself if you are a true coffee lover and especially a "K-Cup" fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product and a BIG Surprise, July 11, 2012
SpringFever "Bud" (Penn Valley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I am very surprised that the biggest secret about San Francisco Bay single service coffee , which works perfectly in famous brand K-Cup makers, has not been revealed in any of the previous comments. Or at least I did not find the secret yet revealed. I love Amazon.com and am a high volume customer but folks, you can get this product at COSTCO at a significant savings. An 80 count box at COSTCO is just around $30; unit cost is about 34 cents. Do not hesitate because of the 80 count box. The contents are packed 8 units to a heavy duty sealed nitrogen filled bag that will hold for over a year. You will find the 'good until' date clearly printed on each bag. When you cut open the bag (you will need scissors) the phenomenal fragrance of freshly ground French Roast coffee comes right at you. If you like that rich smell of fresh ground, this will be almost as good as when you drink it after brewing.

So is this a good coffee? I am an old restaurant guy and I always prefer my coffee rich, dark and not bitter. I tried virtually all the K-cup samplers available so I could do a comparison of the DARKS, BOLDS and FRENCH ROASTS I could find. Other than a few Sumatra brews, this SF BAY product stood out at the top of the list. That even includes the really expensive stuff that is good but not good enough to be price competitive or flavor superior. If you do not at least try this coffee in your K-Cup brewer, you are missing a unique opportunity for quality and value. If you shop at COSTCO, you need to look for it and get the best competitive single serve French Roast around town. You will also find that San Francisco Bay bulk coffees have been sold at COSTCO for a very long time.

Now, about that little filter material container in place of the plastic cup you are used to seeing. Well, the Rodgers Family who produce all the San Francisco Bay Coffees (and other labels), are independent and want us all to get their premium coffees without having to pay the Royalties to use the "K-Cup" brand name...and they do not want to infringe on copyright designs, so they were inspired to have this design created. The entire container portion of the unit is indeed a filter and allows for the best extraction methodology.

You must be asking yourself if I am a "shill" for this company and the answer is an emphatic NO. I am just a life long student of consumer economics and I really like to give credit when and where it is earned. The Rodgers family business is located in Lincoln, California in the vicinity of where I live - and I also like to support my local business.

You may forget all about what I have said here, but you will always remember San Francisco Bay French Roast once you have tasted it.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars "Green" K-cup packaging sacrifices flavor, March 12, 2012
Overall its just OK when considering the price of other K-cups. The SF Coffee K-cups do not look like other K-cups in that they do not have the plastic base which contains and seals around the coffee filter. This exposes the coffee to air and faster oxidation. When drinking the coffee it lacks a fresh flavor and tastes a bit stale. The K-cups come in a sealed plastic bag, but once its opened, the k-cups are exposed to air and they quickly go stale.

The coffee flavor is a bit weak as well. The lack of the plastic housing around the coffee filter, in my opinion, causes the water to flow thru the coffee too quickly and contributes to a weak flavor.

I don't think I would buy these again.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jun 29, 2012 11:14:11 AM PDT
Dear "Breyton",

We appreciate your feedback, and sorry for the delay in responding.

We vacuum-pack all of our coffees including the OneCups as soon as it finishes the roast/grind process rather than wait for the coffee to cool down, "gas off", and thus oxidize with air. Each of our bags contains a 1-way valve to allow emitted gasses from the coffee to escape while preventing unwanted air from entering. This keeps the coffee fresh as possible before opening, and without having to worry about the bag accumulating too much air inside and exploding. Once the bag is opened, we recommend storing the coffee in a sealed, air-tight container, or simply re-seal the bag with a clip.

Taste is always subjective: the amount of time for OneCups to brew is the same as other brands. The brewing process is similar as the coffee grounds are in direct contact with the water, but with less plastic in between. If you prefer a strong, bolder coffee, we recommend our French Roast OneCups. Please feel free to contact us directly at 1-800-829-1300 or at service@rogersfamilyco.com if you have any questions or inquiries.

Sincerely,
Rogers Family Company
1-800-829-1300

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, But Not Acidic or Bitter, May 28, 2012
Julie (Los Olivos, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I like more full bodied, strong coffee, but usually find they are too bitter, acidic or taste like burnt grounds. The SF Bay Fogchaser was none of the above. I like the "cup" it's a lot less packaging than the normal k-cup (which isn't accepted in our recycling can). With these, I recycle the top and plastic ring and throw the rest into the compost pile. Yes, they look funny, and yes you need to put them into some sort of airtight container to keep them fresh, but a small change for a pretty good cup o' joe.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit in all Keurig makers, November 26, 2011
Beach Lady (Wilmington, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This is decent coffee at a good price, but the K-cup is made different and doesn't fit in all Keurig brewers. The instructions on the package actually tell you that but the description when you buy it does not. I have two brewers and it only fits in one of them

1.0 out of 5 stars Confused about mixed reviews--very weak coffee! :(, July 1, 2014
I am completely confused on how this coffee gets such rave reviews. This coffee is like colored water and has no taste. It seems that there is a problem with the quality control for this product. Some people claim it is too strong and others (like myself) can't believe how watery it is. I have tried their Rainforest Blend organic coffee and that is actually stronger (but not very flavorful) than this coffee. I am so disappointed because I would really like to support this family-owned company, but unless I could be sure that I just got a really bad batch, I cannot purchase this again. Still searching for a really good STRONG cup of coffee (preferably organic) for my k-cup brewer. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 18, 2014
I'm really picky, but this is by far my favorite K Cup and being a big recycler, this makes me feel better it's biodegradable. Remember; once you open the individual package and use a pod, put the rest of the pods in a Tupperware, they can't be out in the open air. This coffee is really smooth and delicious, I drink it down quickly!

‹ Previous | 14 5 691 | Next ›