5.0 out of 5 stars Washing Machine Surviver
I usually don't review stuff i got off here b/c that'd be too many.
BUT i believe this is an interesting thing right here.
I have no comments on how this USB works, because it works perfectly fine for me.
I like that this doesn't need a cap because it goes into itself like a turtle.
The thing i wanted to post was that it survived the washing...
Published on October 23, 2010 by Lauren ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent read speed, poor write speed - Below average overall
This is a review of the SanDisk Cruzer 8GB USB Flash Drive. I thought I was getting a bargain deal on this drive for $13 a piece. Now I wish I hadn't bought it. The price was right, but the performance was a let-down.

Published on January 13, 2011 by A Conrad

5.0 out of 5 stars Washing Machine Surviver, October 23, 2010
Lauren ;) (River Edge, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk Cruzer 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ36-008G-A11) (Personal Computers)
I usually don't review stuff i got off here b/c that'd be too many.
BUT i believe this is an interesting thing right here.
I like that this doesn't need a cap because it goes into itself like a turtle.
The thing i wanted to post was that it survived the washing machine.
No i didn't realize i had it in my pocket and until i took everything out of the washer, it was just right there.
I was like, crap, $15 down the wash and then i'd have to replace it.
Surprisingly it worked, every other electronic item just dies in there!
That is the total point to this review, so if you just happen to forget it in your pocket, it may work! *I don't advise you to actually purposefully put your USB in the wash now, but you forget its in your pocket.*

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent read speed, poor write speed - Below average overall, January 13, 2011

The USB connector slides in and out of the protective black casing, and this newer model is physically distinguishable from its predecessor by its red "tongue" (the older unit that contained the U3 Launchpad had a white tongue). The orange indicator light on the thumb-lock is lit when it is connected to the computer, and flashes when data is transferred to/from the unit. There is an area to attach a neck cord, but does not come with one anyway. The drive came preformatted FAT32 and empty, and no longer comes with the U3 software that previously came with the older versions of this same flash drive. It works as a portable flash drive to carry files, but is not spectacular in terms of data transfer speed.

Pros:
- At 8GB, it can hold a lot of files
- Highly portable.
- Price is very reasonable (CHEAP!)

Cons:
- Poor Read AND Write speeds. However, this may not matter if you do not transfer huge amounts of files. If you just put a few files on it, and then just carry it around, this is one of the best USB flash drives for the money. I transfer over 3 GB of files every day, so I need a speedy USB flash drive.

Warning: Geek alert below!

BENCHMARK:

Using Flash Memory Tookit v2.0, I got fairly linear read/write speeds using various file sizes (1MB to 15MB). The average write speed was 2.4 MB/s, and read speed was 21.1 MB/s. Though the benchmarked read speed was relatively fast, the write speed was poor. The slow write speed may suffice if you do not write many files often. If you transfer a large number and size of files onto this drive on a daily basis (or multiple times a day), it may be painfully slow (as it was for me). Using CrystalDiskMark, the average sequential read was slower (16.8MB/s) but almost twice faster to write (4.3MB/s). The drive suffered with random read/write speeds, going as low as 3.3 MB/s read and 0.5 MB/s write.

TRANSFER OF REAL FILES:

Next, I tested the speed of moving real files of varying sizes from 3MB (JPEG), 150MB (avi), 400MB (psd), and 1024MB (VOB). Average Read speed was 12 MB/s for large files and 7 MB/s for small files. Average write speed was 3.5 MB/s for large files, and 1.7 MB/s for small files. Compared to a Transcend 16GB USB Flash Drive, these numbers are unimpressive. For example, the 1GB file took almost 7 minutes to copy onto the Cruzer (vs two minutes onto a Transcend 16GB USB Flash drive), and about 1.25 minutes to copy from the Cruzer (vs one minute for the Transcend). An 800 MB folder containing many files took over 15 minutes to copy onto this drive... that's less than 1MB/s!!! In comparison, it took my Corsair Voyager (8GB version) a little over one minute to copy the same folder (9.4MB/s write speed)!

CONCLUSIONS:

Overall, the SanDisk Cruzer 8GB is a decent (if not below-average) USB flash drive, and certainly not the fastest. Depending on what you need it for: Reading from it is decent, but writing onto it is unacceptably slow. For transferring small batches of files, it will do it's job. It's low cost makes it an attractive portable USB flash drive, though there are certainly others that perform better and faster (if you transfer a lot of files) for just a few dollars more. For better speed/performance for the price (20 dollars or less), I can recommend the Transcend, the Patriot Xporter XT Boost, the Patriot Xporter XT Rage, and the Corsair Flash Voyager to start. For my purposes, I cannot use this drive because I need to transfer/carry several folders (each over 1GB) onto a portable flash drive every day. Though it is easy to use and may serve as an acceptable USB flash drive for others, I can only give it 1.5-star rating (rounded up to two-stars).

(Note: I gave away this SanDisk Cruzer.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously slow, July 8, 2010
I originally bought this to transfer data from an old Xbox 360 to the new "slim" type. It worked without a problem, but transfers were incredibly slow. I compared the speed of this unit on three difference PCs with other USB drives that I have.

My 5+ year old 2 GB Patriot transfers data at about 16 MB/sec. My 3+ year old 4 GB Kingston transfers data at around 26 MB/sec. This SanDisk Cruzer, however, transfers at an appalling 3 MB/sec! That's 1/5 the speed of a 5+ year old USB drive! And this is on a brand new 6-core, 3.2 GHZ system with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports!

"Slow" does not begin to describe this drive. When a five-year-old USB drive can run rings around a brand new USB drive when it comes to performance, something is desperately wrong. I'll just stick with Patriot or Kingston USB drives. I'll never by a SanDisk Cruzer again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feels Like a Step Back, July 30, 2009
I bought one of these because it was on sale. I would've preferred a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8 GB Flash Drive instead, but I didn't know how much I would've preferred it until I bought this.

This version doesn't seem to be a replacement of the Micro, so I imagine it's faster, but there probably isn't a noticeable difference. The differences I noticed were aesthetic. This drive is pretty small, but it's slightly bigger than the Micro. I don't get the weird contour thing either. It's like a skewed parallelogram. The "switch" is the same way and I really don't think it makes it look any better. A more functional difference is the switch itself. The Micro's switch needed a moderate amount of pressure to get the drive to extend and about the same amount to retract. The regular Cruzer opens much easier, which I can't say I appreciate, and it may be a little harder to close than the Micro.

I'm sure you've been wondering as well, does this thing have a lanyard loop? Yes, it does. It's on the back so most pictures won't show it. It's definitely tighter than the Micro's lanyard hole. About the only thing I could get to fit it was an actual lanyard (this drive doesn't come with a lanyard by the way). The Micro comes with a small key ring at least, which I doubt would fit the Cruzer.

The Cruzer series goes up to 32GB as of this review (the Micro goes up to 16GB). So if you need one that big I'd say this is a good drive. If you need a smaller one I'd go with the comparably cheaper Cruzer Micro series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware -- this USB drive is ridiculously slow!, July 8, 2010
I appreciate the SanDisk brand when it comes to storage and I have never had reason to mistrust it in terms of quality; however, the low price of this unit comes with a few penalties.

I actually bought this to transfer my account and save game information from my old (second generation) Xbox 360 to the new "slim" 360. It did that without a problem, and the 8 GB of storage was plenty for that purpose. The embedded LED that shines through the white slider is bright and very easy to see. Essentially, it does exactly what a USB stick is supposed to do in that respect.

The locking mechanism for the slide is a bit weak or perhaps "fussy" is the better word. There were a few times when I had to hold the slider in place in order to insert the drive into the USB port or else the plug would retract back into the case.

The most annoying thing about this drive is that it's ridiculously slow. I've tried using it in several different systems that I own, and none of them got more than 3 MB/sec out of this drive. A 2 GB Patriot USB drive of mine that's probably five years old transfers at roughly 16 MB/sec. A 4 GB PNY that's about three years old transfers at around 24 MB/sec. Yet this BRAND NEW SanDisk drive transfers at 3 MB/sec! That's completely unacceptable! (And I just verified all of these speeds as I was writing this review.)

At 3 MB/sec, it would take at least 90 minutes to transfer 8 GB worth of data to the USB drive then to the destination system. I could actually transfer that same amount of data with my 4 GB PNY - copy 4 GB to the drive, copy that to the other system, copy the remaining 4 GB, and copy that to the other system - in less time than it takes just to copy 8 GB to the SanDisk drive. That's absolutely appalling.

If you're looking for a decently priced USB drive and you don't care about speed, this will work just fine; however, if you're looking for a USB drive with any kind of respectable speed, stay far away from this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hangs on Windows XP Professional, September 19, 2010
Craig (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This thing has continuously caused my PC to hang when I plug it in. Because it auto-boots the security software, you can't stop it from happening. I am now looking for another USB stick to replace it that doesn't do this. Stay away from this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this new style..., October 7, 2010
The photo you see is not what you are going to get!!! Check the user photos for the newer, more angular style.

This morning, while attempting to insert a key ring at the back corner so I could place this on a lanyard, this product broke. This broke because of the absolutely terrible design. I have an older Cruzer, where the metal rod for slipping on a key ring is placed nicely in the corner of the device. It works flawlessly. Who could have possibly approved this new design? It is impossible to secure to a lanyard or key chain. Impossible. I broke the device even being as careful as possible and using the smallest key ring possible. You simply cannot twist a ring around the metal rod at the back corner. Why even bother including it if it is not going to work? I am very disappointed in this product. I cannot return this, as I feel the breaking was a result of me trying to use the product in a manner that has worked fine in the past. Also, this drive seems much cheaper and flimsier than the older style.... DO NOT BUY!! I emailed Sandisk my concerns and will update the review if I hear anything back. I am considering it $16 down the drain. Yes, the drive works for storing files, but it is not functional at all if you can't keep it on a key-chain or lanyard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy build, unformattable giant pain in the neck, July 29, 2010
Immediately upon opening this thumb-drive two things poked me in the eye: 1.) no ring or string to attach this thing to a key-chain in the package (what?) 2.) flimsy cheap-feeling shoddy design in comparison to my previous thumb-drive (a Kensington). THEN I spent 1 infuriating hour trying to format the thing to work cross-platform both on Mac and Windows which is what I use the drive for primarily. It comes with no instructions or software yet comes pre-installed with U3 "crapware" as someone else has called it here already and no way of knowing what it does how it works and how to remove it. Newsflash for Sandisk: mindless corporate folks and product managers, I expect this thing to work for me right out of the box. I had to hunt around for support pages on the Sandisk website (very poorly designed BTW) then I sort of found what I was looking for, then I had to download two pieces of software one for Windows one for Mac. Then I had to install the Mac software to remove this annoying U3 "Security Software" while I was working on stuff - and was forced to Restart the Mac(@!)

Then I tried the Windows side. Absolute nightmare! I tried removing this annoying U3 "Security Software" on both MAC OSX and Windows - which I didn't want in the 1st place. Did I ask for this? Did I buy this? I just want a frakking thumb-drive! That's what I bought! I then tried formatting 3 times on the Mac and Windows each time the format 1.) either didn't work on the Windows side if formatted on the Mac despite the fact I formatted it for FAT (windows) with DiskUtility, and which has worked on other thumb-drives countless times before - but NOt with this one(!) - or on the Windows side it would only recognize 200 MB out of the 8GB drive that I could format! After an hour of totally wasted time and heated frenzy and finally frothing at the mouth with rage and turning red in the face I wasted no time and slapped the whole thing back into the very box it arrived in and requested a return & refund here at Amazon. I guess I'm not buying Sandisk stock :-)! Avoid this thing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility Issues with Red Hat Linux Variants, August 17, 2010
Achal Kathuria (Mountain View, CA) - See all my reviews
This one is really slow and has compatibility issues with Linux OS. The other Sandisk Cruzer(4GB) I have(bought 2 and 1/2 years ago) is much faster than this one and works well with all variants of Linux I have tried.

1.0 out of 5 stars no U3 support, January 6, 2011
mit_banana (Fremont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Yes, I did want a CDROM emulator. In my work with PC maintenance, it would have been very useful.
It is a disgrace how Sandisk created the U3 technology and then abandoned it, making it now impossible to know what you are actually buying.

When you change a product and remove an important feature, you shouldn't keep using the same name.

Rate and Discover Movies