on October 20, 2009
Verified Purchase
I have always bought Sandisk Flash products but this one though have a good capacity, it is too slow. The website also does not advertise what the speed is and perhaps that is the reason. Anyhow, too disappointing.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I presume the same is also true for a PC, but this thing is slower than slow for writing a lot of (little) files. I'm copying just over 16 GB of files. There are likely half million total files in various folders. To copy that over to an external hard drive took some fraction under an hour. With this flash driver, it's been nine hours so far and it's only at 2.5 GB. Even burning the data as 3 DL DVDs was much quicker. This drive is a terrible way to share data -- although as a stealth attack on the sanity of you least favorite co-working, it might just do the trick...

Geek details: This is on a 1.83 ghz Mac mini under a stock install MacOSX 10.5.8 with the flash drive hooked directly into the back of the machine, with no other USB peripherals attached. The copy is via two terminal windows "cp -R" commands, which I used after seeing that a copy via drag and drop using the Finder was even slower. The cp jobs show 98% cpu usage via "top" and on the Activity monitor.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2010
This was purchased for me by our IT department at work. I'm pretty sure that it was the cheapest available 32 GB USB flash drive off the shelf at one of our local office supply stores.

That being said, even though I didn't have to actually buy this drive myself, it's still so bad that I'm morally compelled to write a review of it.

Pro's: The case design is simple and has a small footprint, so it can squeeze into tight USB connectors on your case, laptop or hub. "Built-in" capless retractable connector design. Very lightweight. This drive is priced very aggressively for the included capacity.

Con's: INCREDIBLY SLOW write speeds; fairly slow read speeds. Feels flimsy and cheap with regard to construction. No lanyard included; lanyard connection pivot/point is poorly-positioned if you have your own lanyard. Flashing orange indicator light does not shut off when unit is not reading/writing. No attachment accessories included (flexible USB extension cable, for example). Horrible Sandisk customer service (from previous experience with other USB flash drive products). Did I mention INCREDIBLY SLOW write speeds? Sandisk should be entirely ashamed of the performance of this product.

I have several USB flash drives from other manufacturers, and even though many of them are considerably older (and were still otherwise pretty cheap), they read and write WAY, WAY faster than this product. Sandisk makes plenty of good products, but this isn't one of them. I've had really great experiences with USB flash drives from Patriot and Corsair, and I will stick with them in the future. This product is just terrible.

Stay away from this product if you have a reasonably-fast computer that's less than 5 years old; it's a complete and utter waste of your time (literally). Please pass the chisel...Sandisk didn't include one in the packaging.
on January 16, 2011
Have a seat and let me explain the software found installed on this dongle. Introducing the software protection software called U3 Launchpad. The quickest way to get more information is at
[search engine "Wikipedia U3 LLC"] - but let me highlight the important information in this article.

Scandisk report the following on its website "The U3 technology has reached end of life. SanDisk began phasing out support for U3 Technology in late 2009."

Translation:
This is vintage (2004) OLD technology.

A U3 flash drive presents itself to the host system as a USB hub with a CD drive and standard USB mass storage device attached.

* This configuration causes Windows disk management to show two drives:
1. A read-only ISO 9660 volume on an emulated CD-ROM drive with an autorun configuration to execute the U3 LaunchPad, and;
2. A standard flash drive (FAT formatted) that includes a hidden "SYSTEM" folder with installed applications.
* U3 compliant applications can be (optionally) preloaded by manufacturers.

WHAT? You probably weren't expecting TWO drive letter when you inserted the dongle, did you?

The dongle autoruns if you leave Windows on it's default setting when inserting, installing the software on your computer - Did you expect that?

Autorun without implied consent.
Some of the dongle space used for the 'read-only ISO 9660 volume'
SanDisk shame on you.

- BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART -
Reformatting the drive will remove some of the software (the hidden "SYSTEM" folder), but not all of it. The virtual CD-ROM drive cannot be removed by reformatting because it is presented to the host system as a physical device attached to a USB hub; the official U3 Launchpad Removal Software was available on the U3 website and disabled the virtual CD drive device, leaving only the USB mass storage device active on the U3 USB hub controller, at which point the remaining software can be removed by a subsequent format, performed by the removal software itself. The U3 website is no longer accessible, but the removal tool is still available from other sources.

YUP - from SanDisk itself
[search engine "SanDisk U3 Launchpad Removal"]
If SanDisk decides to stop providing this file, use your favorite search engine to find it.

--- VERY IMPORTANT ---
Turn off the autoruns BEFORE inserting this dongle:
[search engine "microsoft kb 967715"]
THEN run launchpadremoval.exe to remove U3 protection
NOW you have a clean dongle.

Now for a startling conclusion that you probably won't expect:
A refurbished dongle is less that 1/2 the price of a new dongle - it's a steal. Compare SanDisk 16GB Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Drive SDCZ6-016G-A11 (Refurbished) and SanDisk Cruzer Micro 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive SDCZ6-016G-A11 OR [Search engine "refurbished SanDisk Cruzer"]
SanDisk made a good piece of hardware - they were just 'misguided' by installing such bad software WITHOUT INFORMED CONSENT.

Shame on the SanDisk software.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 3, 2011
I now own 4 of these, I use them for Operating System Installs for both Mac and PC. I have noticed that almost everyone that reviews these drives complains because their slow. Well no Duh! These are designed to be used for temporary storage, not a fricken file server. Another complaint I hear about all the time, is the infamous button
Yes if you happen to touch it while plugging it in it will retract, just be careful!!

What the heck is peoples problems.....

These drives run exactly as described, they do the job I buy them for, end of story~!!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2010
Years ago I looked for a 2GB USB flashdrive with a keychain attachment and no detachable cap, and settled on the Cruzer. It worked out well. Though the keychain attachment was tiny and the included keyring flimsy, I was able to find a tiny standard keyring that worked fine. Years later I upgraded to an 8GB, which also worked out well, using the same keyring I'd used found for the 2GB.

But recently I decided to upgrade to a 32GB, and that didn't work out so well. They've gone to a new style, with two problems:

First, the keychain attachment is extremely tiny. It won't accept any normal keyring, as the old one did. It will only accept a slender string, such as on some lanyards. That makes for a bulky, floppy keychain attachment. I figured they just didn't have room for it after cramming in all that capacity, but I was wrong; see below.

Second, the write times are glacial. It isn't just the large capacity, as is often suggested. Sandisk made 16GB versions in both the old style and in the new style. See the reviews of those who tried both -- the new-style 16GB has much slower write times than the old-style 16GB write times.

So how I did I learn that I had been wrong that they didn't have room for a bigger keychain attachment? Here's how:

One day I got distracted and left it in the computer. My wife sat down to use the computer, and my 4yo walked up to her to ask for something. Next, he noticed the Cruzer sticking out of the computer and, having no idea what it was, his creative 4yo mind decided it might make a good seat. That was the end of my Cruzer. In an effort to salvage the data, the most recent of which I had not backed up, I took the Cruzer apart. On doing so, I was irritated to find that:

There is LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of room for a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH bigger keychain attachment. Enough room for one of the biggest keychain attachments in the industry, without making the overall dimensions any larger. It's idiotic and unacceptable that they have gone to such a tiny keychain attachment.

When I saw that, I decided that my replacement would not be another Sandisk, even after briefly condidering an old-style 16GB. I've gone with a 32GB Lexar "JumpDrive TwistTurn". It has a very large keychain attachment, and no detachable cap. And the reviews seem to indicate faster write times than the Cruzer. I'm not excited about it's "jackknife" layout, compared to the Cruzer's retracting layout, but beggars can't be choosers. If you search for a USB drive with (1) a large keychain attachment, (2) no detachable cap, (3) many user reviews that indicate good reliability, and (4) many user reviews that indicate good performance, the field is VERY narrow.

Goodbye, Cruzer. We knew ye well. And you have failed us.

====================

Update:

I've now been using the Lexar JumpDrive TwistTurn for several months, and it's working out fine. The performance is fast, and it's great to have the big keyring attachment.

I would still prefer the Cruzer's retracting layout to the TwistTurn's jackknife layout -- I feel like I have to be more careful not to bump it when it's sticking out of the back of the laptop -- but it's okay. Also, I had to wrap some electrical tape around the inner part to make it stay in the closed position intead of flapping open every time I pulled my keys out of my pocket, but that was a quick and cheap fix.

I would highly recommend the Lexar JumpDrive TwistTurn as a much better alternative to the new-style Cruzer if you're looking for a big keyring attachment, no detachable cap, fast performance, and reliability.

2nd Update:

The hinge seems to be a weak spot. When I bought it used almost 8 months ago and opened the package, one of the hinges was loose and I saw that it was broken. But I pushed it back in and it seemed to be fine, so I didn't worry about it. But yesterday one of the hinges fell out and was lost, and the other one is broken, and it barely stayed together. Then, less than a day later, the 2nd hinge fell out and it too was lost, and without the hinges it comes apart easily.

I've emailed Lexar to see if they'll send me replacement hinges, but I'm not holding my breath. I'll probably have to look for a cheap, used low-capacity TwistTurn and cannibalize its hinges.

For now, I removed the paper from two old wire twist-ties, wound them together to make a longer one, routed it through the hinge holes (you have to bend the wire to get around the circuit board), then routed it through the keyring hole, and twisted it fairly tight, making a tight wire ring wrapped through the two holes, holding the two parts together. It stays together well enough and pivots easily enough, but obviously it's very crude.

I keep the Lexar on my keyring, so it does get rough treatment. I'd still recommend it but with some caution due to the hinges. I don't know whether mine was abused by the original owner; if it was, then maybe a pair of unbroken hinges would work fine for me.

If anyone at Lexar is reading this -- this could all have been avoided by either of two ways:
-- Spending another penny to make the hinges from a slightly more flexible, less brittle plastic, or:
-- Making the TwistTurn 3/8" longer, so that the hinges could go all the way through and connect to each other, and so be much stronger; instead of being blocked by the circuit board.
on December 30, 2010
I bought this about two months ago from Office Max or Office Depot or some office supply store.

Ease of installation: 1/5

Why? Every few days it won't let me look at the files on the drive without formatting the disk itself. It happens on every computer I've tried it on. I've lost a ton of data on what is supposed to be a backup drive.

Ease of use: 1/5

I have to reinstall the driver every few days in addition to losing the data on the disk. Talk about a pain in the butt.

Write Speed: 1/5

Horribly slow even when empty after formatting. My Lexar 32GB drive writes 3x faster.

These problems started occurring after two weeks which was a day past the store's return policy. After my experience with this flash drive, I am never buying a SanDisk product again. Absolutely terrible.
on November 5, 2010
In a large batch bought by my boss (through a normal, reputible retailer), many died after an hour or so of use. As in, DIED. Absolutely no computer (windows or mac) can recognize that there's anything in the USB port at all. I don't know what they did in manufacture, but these are totally unreliable.

On the other hand, all my other cruzers (2 - 8GB) have been great (except that they snap and break easily). They've never died in a computer and none have ever been problematic to read.
on August 17, 2011
Verified Purchase
having problems transferring more than 4 gigs onto your flash drive?

plug it in right click on the drive... format in NTFS boom... transfer large files.

FAT32 doesn't do big file transfer and it's old filing system anyways... it's pre windows 2000 file system... post windows 2000 is NTFS.

GREAT PRODUCT.
on May 24, 2011
Verified Purchase
I was looking forward to moving up to a 32GB USB flash drive from the 4GB Cruzer Titaniam version. Sadly, the write speed is slow and I have yet to find a decent security tool to encrypt the contents of the device and open via password. The Titanium had the U3 software from SanDisk, but it isn't compatible with this flash drive.

If you just need a large capacity USB flash drive, this is a good drive. If you want security and fast date transfer, keep looking.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations