5,258 Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars SanDisk Cruzer 64GB VS Transcend 64 GB
Published on June 15, 2012 by Douglas Doon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive for the money, December 4, 2011
Derek Kingston (Provo, UT United States) - See all my reviews
When purchasing flash drives I try to read the reviews and understand what I'm getting into. Unfortunately, this one had no reviews, but was such a good deal, I decided to purchase it anyway. I have read about fake usb flash devices being sold (mainly on ebay but also on amazon), so I was a bit wary. Happily, this device is as advertised: I ran a full f3 test (this is the linux equivalent to h2testw) to determine the true capacity - it really is 64 GB and operates at USB 2.0 speeds (ubuntu disk utility benchmark reports average read rate of 35.8 MB/s and write rate of 3.0 MB/s).

Pros:
- good price (approx $1 per GB)
- full 64 GB of storage in very small package
- trusted SanDisk name
- validates as true 64GB USB 2.0 device
- small metal rod on back for connecting to key chain
- BoBoTech shipped quickly

Cons:
- USB 2 is a bit slow (but USB3 devices are WAY more expensive)
- plastic shell seems a bit flimsy (this hasn't been a problem on my smaller 16GB Cruzer)
- 1/8" wider on each side from the connector - very tight fit next to power connector on my laptop

Overall, I would recommend this drive if you are looking for a large capacity thumb drive and can live with USB 2 transfer speeds.

2.0 out of 5 stars SanDisk Cruzer 64GB VS Transcend 64 GB, June 15, 2012
I am a SanDisk fan. I have always used there products and have been happy with the speed and reliability that they offered. Recently I upgraded from the SanDisk Cruzer 16GB to the 32GB. Right away I noticed it was taking longer to move files. Also from time to time it would just stop during transfer. I left it on all night thinking it would finish and it never did. I Decommissioned that one and bought another a few months later locally this time. I figured I must have gotten a hold of a bad one. The new 32GB Cruzer did the same thing. I just worked around the issues and continued using it. I figured the 32gb model must be flawed in some way. Still being a fan of SanDisk Cruzers I just recently upgraded to the 64GB model. So far it hasn't stopped during transfer but it still seemed to be taking to long. I decided to try a little test. I Purchased a Transcend 64GB thumb drive. I made a folder on my desktop and put 70 files of varying sizes equaling 4.03GB. I copied the folder to my SanDisk and timed it then I did the same with the Transcend. Here are the results:

SanDisk Cruzer 64GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-064G-B35 transferring 70 files equaling 4.03GB it took 18.34 minutes
Transcend 64 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive - TS64GJF500E transferring the same took 13.43 minutes

I can't speak for the long term reliability of the Transcend thumb because this is the first I've owned. What I do know is that it has a good solid feel, it's cheaper then the SanDisk of the same size, and it's considerably faster. I'm going to continue testing this drive and if it works out and I grow to trust it I will post again and let everyone know. For now I'm going to lean toward Transcend.

** Update as of 01/30/2013 **
I continued using both the Sandisk 64 and the Transcend 64 daily at work. The Sandisk is still significantly slower and occasionally stops responding during transfer. Unfortunately there is no safe way to remove it because technically it's still in use and will not respond to safe ejection procedures both in Windows and Linux. I just do a system shutdown hopping the OS will safely close the open files. I then remove it, restart the machine and try again. This may sound a bit extreme but I do it for a reason. One time it stopped responding on a 3 gig transfer so I let it sit for an hour. When I came back it was still unresponsive so I removed it and took it to another machine I was updating. When I inserted it the new machine I was asked if I wanted to format the Sandisk. I lost everything. Fortunately I had the same data on the transcend so it was just an inconvenience. If however I had been relying solely on the SanDisk it would have been a very long night. The Transcend 64 still continues to surprise me with it's reliability and speed. It is used at work in the daily grind and shows no signs of instability or speed loss.

Seven month tested daily, head to head- Transcend 64 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive TS64GJF500E VS SanDisk Cruzer 64GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-064G-B35. And!... It's Transcend for the Win! Sorry SanDisk, this was a complete miss match. With all your resources, funding, and experience You should have stomped transcend into the ground. You need to get your staff into one room and discuss who dropped the ball and what your going to do about it. Your pro's, this should never have happened and because it did you've introduced doubt into the minds of consumers you had won over years ago. This leaves me wondering was it a shameful loss for SanDisk or is there a new player in the game. In my opinion Transcend just stepped out of the background and into the foreground. They will be given serious consideration during my purchases in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big but Slow, August 26, 2011
This review is from: SanDisk Cruzer 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ36-032G-B35 (Personal Computers)
I love having this flash drive with me everywhere I go. I can haul around massive amounts of data in my pocket for use or viewing/listening anywhere. HOWEVER, it's the slowest flash drive I've ever used. My most recent previous one was a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4 GB and it was fast. This flash drive, however, is slower than all other flash drives and external drives I've used. Soooo.... I'd recommend it to anyone who needs to carry around a lot of data but isn't worried about lightning-speed data transfers.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what you expect-though be aware of the speed., May 24, 2012
This is memory from Sandisk, so it is quality as usual. However, there is one thing that you should keep in mind- these high capacity USB flash drives are very, very slow to write to. I would not use this as a day to day drive, since although it holds a ton, it takes ages to move content onto it. I use these as archival drives for video content, and the read speed to plenty fast enough to playback video without stutters, which was my priority and main consideration.
If you get this expecting it to be as fast as smaller drives, you will be disappointed, so be aware before buying. That said, it works perfectly, and most content can be streamed from it just fine.

If you want a fast, high capacity portable device, I would recommend a usb powered portable hard drive, as even a USB 2.0 HD is much faster to write to than these.

Formatted size is 59.6 GB

Note: If you are using Windows 7, and reformat a drive using the built in format utility, you will only have the option of NTFS or exFAT. These drives come formatted as FAT32, which is universally recognized, whereas exFAT will not be recognized by some devices, such as the XBOX 360. If you need to reformat to FAT32, you will need to use a third party formatting software... just something to keep in mind!

3.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity, slow write speeds, October 29, 2011
P. Lee (CA United States) - See all my reviews
So along the lines with all the other reviewers, this is a great accessory if you need to carry around with you or easily transport larger files/documents/etc but know that it's very slow in transferring data. I had to move about 25GB worth of images onto this device for a client and it took about an hr and half to transfer it all.

Also, the way this thumb drive is designed (and there are many others in the same design) it can become quite difficult to plug this USB thumb drive into the slot. Especially if you don't have a lot of finger space behind your computer desktop, iMac monitor, etc. With little room, you won't be able to hold down the red slider to keep it in place while you push the thumb drive in. I wish one you slid the USB connector out, it either clicked and stayed there until you release it, or somehow it locked into place instead of being a free sliding connector.

3/5 stars because of the slow speeds and design.

1.0 out of 5 stars UNHAPPY!!! TOO SLOW, February 15, 2012
I really can't believe this sandisk cruzer offering. I've had several other sandisk cruzers and have always been happy with them, but this 32 gig sandisk cruiser is THE WORST flash drive I've owned and I have several of them of various brands. I can't believe the difference in speed between the 32 gig sandisk cruzer and the other cruzers that I've owned. I've been using flashdrives for system backup and recovery with happy results for years. When I saw the 32 gig cruizer offered for 30 bucks, I bought two of them. When I did a copy all files from my c: drive to the cruizer 32 gig flash it took over 7 HOURS TO COPY 15 GIGS!!!! That's just barely half of the capacity of the drive and the computer wasn't doing anything else. With other flash drives that I own the process usually completes in about 30 minutes. I can't see ANYONE being happy with taking 14 hours to fill the drive, even if they only intend to write to it once. Unfortunately the way these are packaged you pretty much have to destroy the package to get the flashdrive out, so I won't be returning them, but for 30 bucks a piece I think they will both be headed to the trash can. BOTH of the 32 gig cruizers were incredibly slow, when writing, on two different computers both known for writing the same data to a flash drive in 30 minutes. No excuse for it to take more than 7 hours!!! I'm very sad to have to write a bad review about sandisk, as I've always been happy with them in the past. I can only hope that these turn out to be blackmarket drives and not a trend for sandisk. With the lack of speed I can't see any use for this flash drive. My commodore 64 with a cassette tape drive was faster.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pathetically slow transfer speeds, May 31, 2012
Jason L (Cleveland, OH) - See all my reviews
Sandisk USB ownership history:
I own two 4GB Cruzer, an 8G Cruzer Micro, and two 16G Sandisk Cruzer Fit.

Pros:
+ Sandisk quality
+ Compact size

Cons:
- Extremely slow transfer speeds (almost unusable in my opinion)

Summary;
I bought this to replace a budget-priced 8GB Sandisk Micro I've had for over 6 years. It has been extremely reliable and had quite decent transfer speeds. I bought this usb to finally replace that old one and boy was I disappointed. I did a few tests and found that the new drive has only half the write speed and two thirds the read speed of my old drive. At first I thought that the USB must be a fake since the performance was so much slower than any other Sandisk USB I'd ever used but a call to Sandisk customer service resolved that notion. The Sandisk CS person told me that the larger drives are slower because they use a different kind of flash memory. That might have been fine if they had made that clear beforehand. Personally, I didn't buy a brand new USB drive in order to take a step backwards to the speeds I had to put up with 6 years ago, I bought what I thought was a similar product that should have a similar performance. I am very disappointed in Sandisk for not making this clear in the product descriptions. I have actually lost a bit of faith in Sandisk after this incident. If this drive can't deliver the performance of a Sandisk Cruzer, it shouldn't be called a Cruzer. This is going back ASAP.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too slow of write speeds, April 1, 2012
32GB for the money may seem nice, but if you intend to do a lot of writes to the drive it's not a great experience.

I use it to transfer video onto, watch on Xbox 360 or on the go, delete. Getting 3MB - 4MB per second write is painfully slow for multi GB transfers you want to use right away or didn't plan to wait for for a half hour to an hour. Maybe for some folks who will write a lot to this thing once and seldom do large writes subsequently it's a great deal. But considering the size the write speed is just a joke.

In hindsight I'd rather have a 8GB or 16GB that had twice the write speed or more, or put down a few more bucks for some higher performance options from Patriot etc. This was a gold box deal when I got it so I skipped some of the research; not sure why the overall score is so good considering anyone who opened this and tried to fill it up with data would have waited well over 2 hours for it to finish...

1.0 out of 5 stars This dog is s--l--o--o--o--w., January 17, 2012
Couldn't give this '0' stars (sigh).

I bought 2 of these 16gb drives based on previous good experience with Sandisk. I have lots of flash drives. And a few are slow but designed for a special purpose (write protected).

But this dog is s--l--o--o--o--w. I have not seen a flash drive yet anywhere near as slow as these. I'm ready to give them away (to someone who isn't high value).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great size and fast read, August 2, 2011
As with any good thumb drive, it takes a little while to write; that's just a fact of life with this type of memory. Because this one is so big, it takes about 40 minutes to write 16 GB of data to it from my new iMac. But the read speed is much faster at about 7 minutes for that much data. Smaller files transfer in a snap.

The price is phenomenal at $23. I can't get that kind of price anywhere locally, including Sam's and Costco. That price point is more typical of the 8GB size at this time.

It comes with security software that will work on a Mac or PC. I have a Mac so I can only speak about that. The software leaves a lot to be desired, but it works. I'm not a professional hacker, but I didn't see any easy way to view any files unless the software decrypts it first. It just operates a bit quirky in that I can put files in the drive with drag and drop, but cannot remove files in the same way. There are four ways to add files, but not to remove. NOTE: use of the security software is optional, and you can store normal and secure files on the same drive, which is great.

So if you're looking for a jumbo thumb drive to hold, say, all of your MP3 files, this is a great item.

Rate and Discover Movies