Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

4.6 out of 5 stars12,490
Size: 32 GB|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on December 4, 2011
When purchasing flash drives I try to read the reviews and understand what I'm getting into. Unfortunately, this one had no reviews, but was such a good deal, I decided to purchase it anyway. I have read about fake usb flash devices being sold (mainly on ebay but also on amazon), so I was a bit wary. Happily, this device is as advertised: I ran a full f3 test (this is the linux equivalent to h2testw) to determine the true capacity - it really is 64 GB and operates at USB 2.0 speeds (ubuntu disk utility benchmark reports average read rate of 35.8 MB/s and write rate of 3.0 MB/s).

Pros:
- good price (approx $1 per GB)
- full 64 GB of storage in very small package
- trusted SanDisk name
- validates as true 64GB USB 2.0 device
- small metal rod on back for connecting to key chain
- BoBoTech shipped quickly

Cons:
- USB 2 is a bit slow (but USB3 devices are WAY more expensive)
- plastic shell seems a bit flimsy (this hasn't been a problem on my smaller 16GB Cruzer)
- 1/8" wider on each side from the connector - very tight fit next to power connector on my laptop

Overall, I would recommend this drive if you are looking for a large capacity thumb drive and can live with USB 2 transfer speeds.
1818 comments|929 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2012
I am a SanDisk fan. I have always used there products and have been happy with the speed and reliability that they offered. Recently I upgraded from the SanDisk Cruzer 16GB to the 32GB. Right away I noticed it was taking longer to move files. Also from time to time it would just stop during transfer. I left it on all night thinking it would finish and it never did. I Decommissioned that one and bought another a few months later locally this time. I figured I must have gotten a hold of a bad one. The new 32GB Cruzer did the same thing. I just worked around the issues and continued using it. I figured the 32gb model must be flawed in some way. Still being a fan of SanDisk Cruzers I just recently upgraded to the 64GB model. So far it hasn't stopped during transfer but it still seemed to be taking to long. I decided to try a little test. I Purchased a Transcend 64GB thumb drive. I made a folder on my desktop and put 70 files of varying sizes equaling 4.03GB. I copied the folder to my SanDisk and timed it then I did the same with the Transcend. Here are the results:

SanDisk Cruzer 64GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-064G-B35 transferring 70 files equaling 4.03GB it took 18.34 minutes
Transcend 64 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive - TS64GJF500E transferring the same took 13.43 minutes

I can't speak for the long term reliability of the Transcend thumb because this is the first I've owned. What I do know is that it has a good solid feel, it's cheaper then the SanDisk of the same size, and it's considerably faster. I'm going to continue testing this drive and if it works out and I grow to trust it I will post again and let everyone know. For now I'm going to lean toward Transcend.

** Update as of 01/30/2013 **
I continued using both the Sandisk 64 and the Transcend 64 daily at work. The Sandisk is still significantly slower and occasionally stops responding during transfer. Unfortunately there is no safe way to remove it because technically it's still in use and will not respond to safe ejection procedures both in Windows and Linux. I just do a system shutdown hopping the OS will safely close the open files. I then remove it, restart the machine and try again. This may sound a bit extreme but I do it for a reason. One time it stopped responding on a 3 gig transfer so I let it sit for an hour. When I came back it was still unresponsive so I removed it and took it to another machine I was updating. When I inserted it the new machine I was asked if I wanted to format the Sandisk. I lost everything. Fortunately I had the same data on the transcend so it was just an inconvenience. If however I had been relying solely on the SanDisk it would have been a very long night. The Transcend 64 still continues to surprise me with it's reliability and speed. It is used at work in the daily grind and shows no signs of instability or speed loss.

Seven month tested daily, head to head- Transcend 64 GB JetFlash 500 Retractable USB Flash Drive TS64GJF500E VS SanDisk Cruzer 64GB USB Flash Drive SDCZ36-064G-B35. And!... It's Transcend for the Win! Sorry SanDisk, this was a complete miss match. With all your resources, funding, and experience You should have stomped transcend into the ground. You need to get your staff into one room and discuss who dropped the ball and what your going to do about it. Your pro's, this should never have happened and because it did you've introduced doubt into the minds of consumers you had won over years ago. This leaves me wondering was it a shameful loss for SanDisk or is there a new player in the game. In my opinion Transcend just stepped out of the background and into the foreground. They will be given serious consideration during my purchases in the future.
6262 comments|1,241 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2012
This is memory from Sandisk, so it is quality as usual. However, there is one thing that you should keep in mind- these high capacity USB flash drives are very, very slow to write to. I would not use this as a day to day drive, since although it holds a ton, it takes ages to move content onto it. I use these as archival drives for video content, and the read speed to plenty fast enough to playback video without stutters, which was my priority and main consideration.
If you get this expecting it to be as fast as smaller drives, you will be disappointed, so be aware before buying. That said, it works perfectly, and most content can be streamed from it just fine.

If you want a fast, high capacity portable device, I would recommend a usb powered portable hard drive, as even a USB 2.0 HD is much faster to write to than these.

Formatted size is 59.6 GB

Note: If you are using Windows 7, and reformat a drive using the built in format utility, you will only have the option of NTFS or exFAT. These drives come formatted as FAT32, which is universally recognized, whereas exFAT will not be recognized by some devices, such as the XBOX 360. If you need to reformat to FAT32, you will need to use a third party formatting software... just something to keep in mind!
44 comments|254 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2011
I love having this flash drive with me everywhere I go. I can haul around massive amounts of data in my pocket for use or viewing/listening anywhere. HOWEVER, it's the slowest flash drive I've ever used. My most recent previous one was a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4 GB and it was fast. This flash drive, however, is slower than all other flash drives and external drives I've used. Soooo.... I'd recommend it to anyone who needs to carry around a lot of data but isn't worried about lightning-speed data transfers.
1515 comments|409 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2014
Bought a bunch of these to use for imaging/booting on company computers. Found out after getting them that they show up as "Local Drive" instead of "Removable Drive." Thus certain programs we use cannot image to them and our computers cannot boot from them because they do not recognize them as removable drives. Apparently Sandisk changed the chipset in these models to work better in Windows 8, but this non-standard format causes other problems with imaging and booting to them. The drives work fine for storing files, but are useless for what we bought them for.

Here is the response from SanDisk support...
In mid-2013 SanDisk changed production of its USB Drives configured as fixed disk to meet a perceived certification requirement. SanDisk USB Drives with either removable or fixed disk configuration will work the same when used for data storage on Windows PC and Mac computers. SanDisk is in the process of reverting back to producing USB Drives configured as removable disk.
NOTE: There is no tool available to change SanDisk USB Drives between fixed and removable disk configuration.
66 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2011
So along the lines with all the other reviewers, this is a great accessory if you need to carry around with you or easily transport larger files/documents/etc but know that it's very slow in transferring data. I had to move about 25GB worth of images onto this device for a client and it took about an hr and half to transfer it all.

Also, the way this thumb drive is designed (and there are many others in the same design) it can become quite difficult to plug this USB thumb drive into the slot. Especially if you don't have a lot of finger space behind your computer desktop, iMac monitor, etc. With little room, you won't be able to hold down the red slider to keep it in place while you push the thumb drive in. I wish one you slid the USB connector out, it either clicked and stayed there until you release it, or somehow it locked into place instead of being a free sliding connector.

3/5 stars because of the slow speeds and design.
1010 comments|212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 7, 2012
I bought this knowing the write speeds were very slow. Read speed is good @ 20MB/sec

I use it for carrying my music to play in my car and home stereo. So write speed it not an important factor for me.

I also have used it for a daily backup of data files on my laptop. It is slow, but I don't notice it as I run on auto back-up.

If you need to wait while copying files often, get a faster one.

Summary: good price for a SLOW 32gb usb drive. Not for everyone though.

SEE USB FLASH BENCHMARK test result in picture section.

Update: Bench mark test results:
The write speed is less than 1MB/sec depending on file size. Read speed is 20MB/sec. Very good read speed. I will post these results in the photo section later.

Paid 19.99
review image
on July 12, 2015
I bought the 32 GB Scandisk in order to back up my 5 GB audio file and was surprised when a pop-up exclaimed that my file was too large. What?????? I've never been good at math but I was pretty sure that 5 was smaller than 32. After a little research I found that you have to format the Scandisk. First you open "This PC" or "My Computer" whatever it's called, and among the listings for the D drive or C drive there should be a listing for Scandisk under E drive. If it's not there simply unplug your Scandisk and plug it back in until your computer recognizes it. Then Right Click on E drive and Left Click on Format. It will automatically format under the name 32 GB but instead click on the dropdown for other options and set the format for NTFS, this will allow you to use the entire Scandisk as a whole unit and not just in divided parts.
I hope this helps!
on May 31, 2012
Sandisk USB ownership history:
I own two 4GB Cruzer, an 8G Cruzer Micro, and two 16G Sandisk Cruzer Fit.

Pros:
+ Sandisk quality
+ Compact size

Cons:
- Extremely slow transfer speeds (almost unusable in my opinion)

Summary;
I bought this to replace a budget-priced 8GB Sandisk Micro I've had for over 6 years. It has been extremely reliable and had quite decent transfer speeds. I bought this usb to finally replace that old one and boy was I disappointed. I did a few tests and found that the new drive has only half the write speed and two thirds the read speed of my old drive. At first I thought that the USB must be a fake since the performance was so much slower than any other Sandisk USB I'd ever used but a call to Sandisk customer service resolved that notion. The Sandisk CS person told me that the larger drives are slower because they use a different kind of flash memory. That might have been fine if they had made that clear beforehand. Personally, I didn't buy a brand new USB drive in order to take a step backwards to the speeds I had to put up with 6 years ago, I bought what I thought was a similar product that should have a similar performance. I am very disappointed in Sandisk for not making this clear in the product descriptions. I have actually lost a bit of faith in Sandisk after this incident. If this drive can't deliver the performance of a Sandisk Cruzer, it shouldn't be called a Cruzer. This is going back ASAP.
on March 25, 2013
I purchased the 64gb Cruzer because the price was great and SanDisk make excellent SD cards for my camera. I've never had any problems with SanDisk products, and felt this was a good purchase.

Anyway I loaded some pics and vid clips on it with no problems, and had about 35 or so gigs left when the problems started. I could not load or delete any more stuff because I kept getting an error that the "disk is write protected". There are no switches on the product that can turn on or off the write protection. (Most USB sticks don't have them either) I could read the stuff on it, but could not add or remove stuff from it. I then researched what the problem could possibly be. Maybe pulling out the stick too fast or something like that. I have a handy program installed on my computer which when you use a USB port of any sort, it safely removes the object to avoid the problem with any removable device. (You can Google for the name of this program) I've tried registry hacks and other stuff and went to the SanDisk forums for help. There is no solutions for this problem except returning the product to SanDisk for a refund. That is the only solution that the SanDisk people have to offer you. I haven't done this, so I don't know if they are good about the process, but I know that SanDisk is a reputable company, and I'm sure that they will honor your refund. But back up your stuff first.

Bottom line is if you buy the larger GB USB stick, fill it up fast and don't think about adding or deleting from it. You will have a working permanent USB stick with your stuff on it.
88 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse