5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this drive. Cool. Fast, fast, fast.
Published on April 11, 2012 by Sam, the original Sam

Dear Amazon,

This review was written for Sandisk Extreme, not Sandisk Extreme II. It has nothing to say about the newer model. Your editors have erred in conflating the reviews for these two different products.

Published on July 18, 2012 by D. McLean

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this drive. Cool. Fast, fast, fast., April 11, 2012
This review is from: SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDX-120G-G25 (Personal Computers)
Feb 28, 13 update: I'll be receiving my 3rd Sandisk SSD today for my new Asus notebook which didn't come with a SSD. The hard disk is noticeably sluggish, generates heat and noise and drains the battery. After using Sandisk SSDs on my other computers, I'm spoiled. A Sandisk SSD is probably the best component (highest ROI) one can add to a computer to dramatically improve performance.

Quick review:

* Really runs much faster than any hard disk (and I've got a bunch of new WD hard disks). Ignore what other people have written -- everything runs MUCH faster on this SSD. Web applications, giant files. This sucker is FAST!
* Runs very cool. I measured the temperature and it's only a few degrees warmer than the temperature of the room
* Very easy to transfer the contents of whatever sized hard disk you have use free easy-to-use software
* Works in both desktop and laptop computers (I installed one in each of my computers).
* You don't have to be a geek to install the SSD. This is the first time I ever installed an SSD.

You can read more if you want, but it's not necessary. The solid state disk is fast, quiet and runs cool. You'll love it.

I saw this on Amazon's "Today's Deals" and at $119 for a 120GB SSD, I said, "Why not give it a try?"

I installed this SSD on a laptop with Windows 7.

Wow! this laptop is now really fast. Everything runs so much quicker. Windows Experience for the hard disk went from 5.9 to 7.7

I've never seen Windows load so fast before. Applications and data load significantly faster.

I was so impressed with the speed improvement, I then bought another SSD and installed it on my desktop computer using Windows XP3.

[July 25, 12 UPDATE: I just received this Raytek MT6 Non-contact MiniTemp Infrared Thermometer. The ambient temperature next to the case computer running XP3 was 77 degrees. The Sandisk SSD is only 82 degrees (no cooling fan). On a laptop, the coolest temperature I could measure on the back of the laptop running Windows 7 was 86 degrees - the laptop was on my wife's lap for hours so a lot of the heat came from her. Opening the back cover of the laptop, the Sandisk SSD was only 93 degrees. This is in a room that's 77 degrees.]

Using HD Tach,

The burst speed for the SSD: 4027MB/s.
Random access: 0.2ms
CPU Utilization: 2%
Average speed: 270MB/s

The burst speed for a WD drive (WD1002FAEX) with 64MB of cache: 245MB/s
Random access: 12ms
CPU utilization: 1%
Average speed: 113MB/s

Numbers and benchmarks aside, the overall computer responsiveness is dramatically better. Suspending the computer now takes just a few seconds and waking it up is also extremely fast.

[June 10, 2012 update: I'm now using Lightroom, Nik Dfine and Nik Sharpen which involves transferring >100MB files back and forth. There's only a brief hesitation in-between each step.]

Cloning from a hard disk to the SSD using Macrium Reflect v5.0 Free Edition worked perfectly.

Out of simple curiosity, I installed XP3. XP3 installation took just 7 minutes. The 100+ Windows updates took only a few minutes.

After running the SSD for a few hours, the SSD is barely warm. I can remove the hard disk fan and make the computer even quieter.

My wife is a user. She doesn't know or care about hardware or benchmarks. She does, however, makes unsolicited remarks from time to time how much better the laptop runs. The laptop used to drive her nuts since it was so slow. Now she's happy.

We're absolutely delighted with the SSDs. Buy it. You'll love it.

These are the step-by-step instructions to clone your Windows 7 disk to the SSD:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect v5.0 Free Edition.
2. Shut-down Windows
3. Unplug laptop (if plugged into electrical outlet)
4. Remove laptop battery
5. Install SSD (in my laptop, I just had to remove a panel in the back and plug in the SSD). Note: You'll have both the original hard disk and the new blank SSD installed.
6. Put battery back into computer and plug laptop into an electrical outlet
7. Start Windows
8. Launch Macrium Reflect v5.0 Free Edition
9. Clone partitions from hard disk to the SSD (this works even if the SSD is smaller than the original hard disk). In my case, this took about an hour. Note: Cloning the hard disk to the SSD with Macrium is simply dragging the Windows partitions to the SSD. Partitions are automatically resized if necessary.
10. Shut-down Windows
11. Unplug laptop from electrical outlet
12. Remove hard disk from laptop and save it somewhere safe just in case you ever need a backup. Make sure you label the old hard disk.
13. Put SSD into original laptop hard disk bay
14. Plug battery in
15. Turn computer on
16. Computer will restart to complete software installation
17. You're done.

I should point out that this is the first time I ever touched hardware in a laptop (complete newbie with laptops). The above may sound like a lot of work or complicated but I broke down the instructions step-by-step.

Important update: Windows 7 does not automatically recognize the drive as a SSD and you should disable the Prefetch feature. Update: Someone in the comments section wrote that running Windows Experience in Windows 7 will automatically disable prefetch.

I used the free TweakPrefetch utility for Windows to disable Prefetch. Google "TweakPrefetch Utility download" to find the URL (Amazon doesn't allow URLs so I can't give you the exact address but you'll find it at Softpedia) and follow the instructions which involves clicking the SSD checkbox and rebooting.

[Update] My wife and I have been using these SSDs daily on our separate computers for the past two months and we're still extremely happy with the greatly improved performance. My wife's laptop (not a top of the line model) takes 15 seconds from a cold start to Windows 7 up and running.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: poor performance with some Macs, and defective TRIM., July 18, 2012
Dear Amazon,

Readers please note that Sandisk has, after many months, corrected the problems cited in this review, so those complaints are now irrelevant. However, my comments on the corporation's lack of integrity and honesty still stand.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is probably the fastest and most reliable SSD in its price class...except for it failing to deliver its rated speed due to defective firmware.

The problem occurs with MacBooks and desktop models that use the NVidia SATA controller. (You can see the controller under System Profiler->Serial-ATA.) The Sandisk Extreme will connect at a negotiated link speed half that of the controller. That means for a SATA 2 (3 Gbps) controller, transfer speeds will be limited to about 120 MB/s, a quarter of the SSD's rated speed. SATA 3 (6 Gbps) will be limited to about 250 MB/s in practice.

This problem of reduced link speed has appeared extensively with various combinations of SSD brands and Mac models. Both OWC and OCZ have already issued firmware updates that correct the problem, giving their customers the full speed capacity of their SSDs. As of the writing, Sandisk has not corrected the problem, nor committed to doing so.

If you are thinking of installing any SSD in a Mac, I suggest you first search for "negotiated link speed" <your mac model> <ssd model> to find out whether your particular combination will suffer this defect.

As for myself, after days of research, waiting for a good price, and great anticipation, I will be returning my Sandisk Extreme tomorrow. So disappointed.

(MacBook late 2009; SATA 2 NVidia controller; Sandisk Extreme 240GB)

Update 19-July-2012:
I spoke with Sandisk technical support (in India). They acknowledge a problem with slow link speeds with the NVidia MCP79 controller. Here is their email response:
We really apologize for the inconvienience caused to you, however we would like to inform you that this is a known issue wih Sandisk and this issue has already been escalated to the R&D team for research and we are expecting a fix on this issue pretty soon regarding the compatibility of Nvidia MCP79 graphics card and Macbook pro and the Sandisk SSD getting the appropriate speed as per design.

Update 3-August-2012:
My attempts to get useful information from SanDisk have turned into a series of Kafkaesque bureaucratic runarounds. After hours on the phone and countless emails with clueless and evasive support technicians, I have learned only the following:

1) The problem of connecting at half the SATA controller speed occurs with several different nVidia controllers.

2) The issue has been "escalated to the R&D department". R&D has known of the defect since March.

3) Since March, SanDisk has failed to either issue a fix or to inform potential buyers that this SSD may not work at full speed in their computer.

4) The Corporation will not state "if and when SanDisk will make firmware updates for specific chipset versions or OS."

So I suggest again that before buying this SSD you thoroughly research whether the link speed defect occurs with your particular SATA controller. At this point I have no confidence that SanDisk will issue a fix, nor in the integrity of the company to respond to the needs of (actual and potential) customers honestly and effectively.

I will monitor the situation until August 20, 2012 (the return date), and will update here if a fix is issued by then.

Update 21-August-2012
Thanks for the feedback. I feel happy to have saved some people from the hassle I have experienced with this product.

Today's call to SanDisk confirms that they know of the issue, have no fix, and no date for a fix. The support agent even suggested it was best to RMA the device at this point.

And, gentle readers, it gets worse. Some of you may understand what the TRIM command is. TRIM is sent by the OS to inform the SSD which blocks are no longer in use. This information in turn allows the SSD to garbage collect those blocks, which keeps the SSD's write speed up to spec. It turns out that both TRIM and garbage collection are poorly implemented in this SSD. After use (2x filled), its write speed falls to 15-30% of its initial speed. Issuing TRIM restores write speed to about 60% of rated speed, but apparently after use the SSD can never regain its fresh-out-of-box rated write speeds. You can view the actual measurements here:
[...]

This problem with GC and TRIM seems to affect *all* SSDs based on the newest SandForce 2281 controller, not just SanDisk's. The manufacturers have known about this defect for five months. Apparently, all the various Corporations though it was unimportant to let their customers know we are buying defective products that will irrecoverably lose their rated write speed after use. You can read the sordid details here:
[...]

Rumor is that SandForce has already issued a firmware update that fixes TRIM/GC. We are waiting for the various manufacturers to customize it and issue their own updates. Any day now.

In case you have not caught it, I am angry and fed up. Angry at SanDisk for wasting my time and money by failing to disclose two major defects. That's called lying everywhere outside of corporate culture and politics. Fed up with most of the SSD manufacturers for burdening the customer with onerous firmware updates and known firmware defects. For turning us into their quality control engineers by shipping DOA and soon-to-fail hardware - just look at the customer feedback on Amazon. Surely the bean counters have figured out it's cheaper to ship defective product and force the customer to sort it out than to test the units themselves.

Someone asked what SSD I would recommend. Take a look at the first link above and note the models that do not degrade with use and that respond properly to TRIM. Those happen to be the ones without the SandForce controller. Next look at the percentage of 1 and 2 star reviews. (Yes, I understand that reviews are biased toward the negative, but they still indicate your relative odds of getting a lemon.) Next search for others' experiences with that SSD and your computer/SATA controller, to make sure it is compatible. Lotta work... to buy a device that is marketed as working out of the box.

For my MacBook, late 2009, the only one I see that makes the cut is Samsung 830, with few reported defects and decent sustained performance. But speaking strictly for me, I am out of the SSD market. I'm going to reinstall my trusty, slow mechanical hard drive, and wait six months. Maybe by then the manufacturers will have received enough blowback to be selling products that actually work well and reliably. Maybe.
------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like Amazon does not allow links in these reviews. To find the performance measurements cited above, search for "SanDisk Extreme SSD 240 GB Review" at XBit Labs. Page 4.

The TRIM problem is documented in the article "LSI SandForce 5 Series SSD Firmware" at TweakTown.

Good luck, and do your research before rolling the dice.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 9-October-2012.
Still no fix for these two issues. Still no word from SanDisk stating when, or if ever, they will be fixed.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 22-October-2012
SanDisk has at last released firmware update R211 that is supposed to fix the TRIM command. R211m claims to fix the negotiated link speed issue with nVidia SATA controllers.

Cautious buyers may want to wait until reliable independent testing labs verify that the issues are truly fixed and that no new bugs were introduced. After all, SanDisk and others have released buggy firmware before, and concealed that fact even after knowing about it.

Good luck to you!

5.0 out of 5 stars This drive can FLY, April 16, 2012
Kent (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
My system basics:
Windows 7, 64bit
Dell Vostro 3550 about 6 months old.
Intel Core I5 (quad) 2.3ghz with turbo.
8GB dram
Sata 3 drive controller
Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Read 500MB/sec, write speed 200MB/sec (was originally WD 7200rpm 320GB)
My qualifications: Electronic Engineer/Project manager. PC owner for 25+ years.

Opening comments: I have owned pc's for 25years. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK UPGRADE YOU COULD EVER HOPE TO BUY!!!! IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN REPLACING A 2YR OLD COMPUTER OR LAPTOP AND OF COURSE CHEAPER!! Other benefits: windows is more stable. If you have a lot of programs open at the same time, the computer remains stable all day. Now, I rarely need to reboot.

I bought a Crucial M4 SSD (solid state drive) about a 2 month's ago and was amazed at the speed. Can't go back to mechanical hard-drives. I bought this one because it was spec'd faster than the M4 and I needed a back-up drive. This technology does not have a reliability track record for long term use as a computer drive. Once a week, I create clone drive copy as a back up. If the drive fails this clone can be popped in my laptop and I'm ready to go in 10 minutes. No restore needed except the few files I have added or changed.

Summary 1st: Both drives are excellent choices. (Sandisk Extreme and Crucial M4)
On my laptop, in every day use Sandisk extreme is slightly faster.

See posted photo's for actual data.
a)According to "ASS SD" benchmark test. Crucial is much faster than this drive (Sandisk Extreme.)
b)According to "Benchmark" speed test: Sandisk Extreme is faster. SanDisk write speed blows away the Crucial M4.

Note: Electrical specs like statistics can be presented in a way that is deceptive.

Spec from SanDisk website for the Extreme (not in Amazon's description)
Performance 120GB
Sequential Read (up to) 550 MB/s 550 MB/s 540 MB/s
Sequential Write (up to) 510 MB/s 520 MB/s 460 MB/s

I like this drive a lot. Great performance!! Definitely would recommend it to a friend.

I will update this review if there are any reliability problems.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision on what to buy.

Thanks to all those who have posted reviews on Amazon. They have been extremely helpful in making good purchase decisions on Amazon.

7-22-12 3month update: Drive has been performing flawlessly. No problems or issues. Love it's speed and it's quiet.

1-6-13 Update (8 months) Drive has been trouble free. There are a few drive out there now that write at or near 500Mbs. My computer continues to be very stable all day (windows 7)

5.0 out of 5 stars HOLY COW - don't overlook this SSD!, April 4, 2012
I'll start by saying I'm not a techie, but I do my research and I understand computers fairly well, so understand that this review is coming from the perspective of an educated layman with just his personal experience (and what he's read elsewhere) to go off.

And, before I start, let me give you my hardware specs first, just so you know: HP HDX18T laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.66 GHz, 1080p HD res, 4gb ram (2 x 2DIMM), nvidia 130M card (does the job, but it's my weakest link now, for sure!). Used to be a top-of-the-line system, but it's about 3.5 yrs old now, and I haven't really babied it at all, so the parts definitely have normal wear and tear.

Now, onto the review --

Performance: This SSD simply FLIES. My "disk data transfer" Windows Experience Score was 5.5 out of 7.9 before the upgrade (with a WD2500BEKT 250 gb hdd @ 7200 rpm). After installing the Sandisk Extreme 120 gb SSD, my score shot up to 7.7 out of 7.9!! That is a ridiculous improvement, and the real-life difference, it turns out, is EXTREMEly noticeable (see what I did there?). I didn't precisely time the boot, shutdown, and application launch times before the upgrade, but with this drive, the boot and shutdown times are about halved, and the application launch time is basically instantaneous. Also, my computer is super quiet now very low fan speed, and almost no heat is being generated.

Price: I scooped this up for a mere $129.99 on one of amazon's one-day price drops (for the past few weeks, it's varied between $139-$149, so this was a nice deal). In fact, if you compare the cost of this SSD ($/Gb) to others, you'll see this drive is far and away the best deal out there. Plus, this drive is Sata III (Sata 600) compatible, which is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than Sata II (Sata 300), assuming your computer can make use of Sata III, and it's even cheaper than the same-sized Sata II drives! (Don't worry: if your CPU can only handle Sata II, this SSD will still work, but just at the slower, Sata II speeds.)

Ease of installation: this is what put this drive over the edge for me in terms of customer satisfaction. Like I said above, I do my research, and from everything I read, I was a little concerned that this installation wouldn't be super easy (cloning hard drives, moving the OS and programs and user files, transferring boot images, etc). Let me just tell you, this installation is EASY. Here's what you do: transfer to another drive all of your data (pictures, music, videos, documents, and maybe any very large programs, especially if you use them infrequently). Now you should have just the OS and programs left on the main drive. If you have a 2 hard drive system (like I do), you disconnect the drive with all your data and, in its place, connect the Sandisk Extreme. Turn on the laptop and clone the main drive onto the Sandisk Extreme (I used the freeware Macrium Reflect to clone the drive). Turn off the laptop and disconnect the main drive, plug in the Sandisk Extreme where the main drive was just connected, and reconnect the other drive that has the data on it where the Sandisk Extreme was before. Assuming you cloned the drive correctly, your computer should boot right up without a problem. Windows 7 also recognizes this drive as a SSD, so it does all the tweaks you'd want it to do automatically.

Honestly, after using this drive, I won't ever use a laptop without a SSD again. It's that much of an improvement for that little of a cost.

I'll update this review in a couple months to say how the SSD has held up, but my immediate reaction is that it's the best upgrade I could have given my computer, and I'm completely satisfied with my choice.

Update (next day): just to be clear, a lot of the things I'm raving about for this SSD are also going to be true for other SSDs. The real take-away point is that this drive gives you all of the benefits of the top-of-the-line drives (like Intel) at a fraction of the price. Plus, Sandisk is no small fry in the flash memory game! So, realize that this drive is among the best available today, and it's definitely the cheapest (at the time of writing this).

Update (4/11/12): just a hdd and ssd benchmark comparison I ran - PCMark7 with my 7200rpm hdd: Score = 1,948. With my ssd: Score = 3,017. Continue to love the drive's performance, and heat generation has definitely gone down. My core temp doesn't go above 45C now, and the ssd reads 43C -- that's a drastic improvement from my temps before which would be 65-70C (hot, I know!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice upgrade for a fast primary drive!, November 29, 2012
Length:: 3:02 Mins

I build computers for myself and friends they are usually very high end machines or servers. I use SSD drives in the high end ones and I own about 9 different SSD drives. My monster machine that I use all the time had a 240 GIG drive in it and I wanted more space so I picked up a 480 GIG Extreme SSD by SanDisk. This drive does not come with any mounting hardware meaning screws, brackets for a 2.5 inch drive, SATA cable or a power cable but since I was replacing an existing SSD I had everything I needed.

The first thing I did before I installed it is that I installed the SanDisk SSD Toolkit and I checked the drive to see if it was current with the firmware and it was not. The current firmware is R211 and its improvements are in not my version which was R201. Here are the R211 improvements:

- Improved TRIM Latency, TRIM Performance, Background Garbage Collection, Error Handling and Power Management
- Fixed the normalized value calculation for SMART Attribute "Power-On Hours".
- Fixed an issue where temperature reading was not reporting correctly.

These are important updates so I wanted to make sure that I was running the latest version. I would rather change the firmware now before I clone my boot drive to the new one as you always take the risk of losing some data with a firmware change. I used an external docking station using an eSATA cable. I created a bootable USB thumb drive with the new firmware on it and booted the computer from that drive per the instructions from of the SanDisk SSD Toolkit. After the firmware update to R211, I cloned my primary drive to the new drive.

Cloning 180+ GIG of data took less than 28 minutes using a tool called Apricorn EZ GIG III. The write speed was 117 MB/s. I then swapped the drives and installed the new one in my slot for the primary drive. When I booted my computer it immediately recognized the new drive as the C Drive and it told me that I had to restart Windows 7 for the changes to take effect. You should note that Windows changed the drive letter to C.

Unless you need the old drive you took out right away I always keep it as long as possible as a backup of my working operating system. If something should happen you now have a recovery disk to get back into operation and you may have to install a few updates by you don't lose everything including possibly the OEM license to your operating system. If you don't need the drive and have room in your tower computer (If that is where you installed this new one) I sometimes leave the old drive in place and make sure that the wires are run to it but not connected so it does not wear out. (Especially if it is a standard mechanical drive) Now you know where it is and if the primary drive fails then remove the PC computer's power and unplug the failed drive and plug in the archived one and you are back in business.

So far I am happy with the new drive as it is as fast as my old SSD and I didn't lose any performance but I picked up an additional 240 GIG of storage space and a little more breathing room on the boot drive. After you do this you should check to make sure that the Trim in Windows 7 is turned on and that Superfetch, Prefetch and Disk Defragmenter are turned off. (SSD drives do not need these tools and they should not be operating on your SSD) Here are some basic instructions on how to check those applications. If you do go to the computer registry be very careful and do not make any changes to any other areas as this will affect the performance of your computer.

This example shown is for Windows 7!
Navigate to the following registry:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters
* If the superfetch and prefetch features are disabled, their registry value should be 0, please check if EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch are both set to 0.

Check your defrag scheduler and it should say that the SSD drive is to never run.
* Open Disk Defragmenter
* It should show you all of your installed drives

* Your SSD drive should say never run

On Windows 7 to check if Trim is set to on:
Open the Start Menu, type CMD
Right click the icon and Run as Administrator

* Type: fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
* DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)
To enable TRIM:
* Open the Start Menu, type CMD
Right click the icon and Run as Administrator
* Type: fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

I hope this has been helpful to you and enjoy your new SSD Drive. I like this product and I give it 5 stars and I recommend it to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! What a difference, June 12, 2012
Bocaboy "BocaBoy" (Boca Raton, FL USA) - See all my reviews
I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (MBP) that had a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive installed. I've really wanted an SSD, but the price has been too steep. The other day, the SanDisk 480 GB drive was on sale for $379, and my daughters gave me a $100 Amazon gift certificate for my birthday, so I decided to go for it. I am VERY glad I did.

The boot-up time, once the Apple and gear show up, is a matter of seconds. Once I enter my username and password, the screen springs into action. This drive really screams with a 6GBs transfer rate. It's too early to tell if it will increase battery life, but I suspect it will since it draws less power. I'll report back in several weeks and let everyone know what I find. From what I read, there are faster SSD drives out there, but honestly, the performance on my MBP is so improved that I'm not sure I'd notice the difference unless I saw them back to back. Folks, Photoshop 5 boots in under 4 seconds. I normally run my Mac with about 18 open applications, and the boot time has gone from minutes down to 45 seconds.

For those Mac users that are setting the drive up from scratch, just physically install it and install your OS. To clone your existing drive, which is what I did, here's how I was able to transfer the original drive contents and install TRIM, which is not natively supported by Apple for any SSDs that are not Apple branded.

You'll need a USB SATA drive enclosure for 2.5" drives, which I already owned. I installed the SSD in the enclosure (1 minute) and then plugged the enclosure into my Mac. You should check macsales dot com for inexpensive ones.

Once you plug the drive enclosure into your Mac, you'll need to format it with Disk Utility, which is in Applications/Utilities. The good news is that a dialog box should come up and offer to do it for you as soon as the drive is recognized.

I then ran Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), a free piece of software from Bombich, that cloned my original hard drive to my new SSD. I have a lot of material, so it took about 7.5 hours, but in the end everything showed up perfectly! Be sure and boot from the cloned drive to assure yourself that it will boot and that all of your data was cloned. You do this by restarting and holding the OPTION key down and you'll be presented with the available drives to boot from. Choose your new SSD. Another advantage of CCC is that it can create the hidden partition that Lion uses for emergencies.

Physically swapping a drive out of a MBP is dead simple, but requires a small Phillips screwdriver for the screws on the back cover and drive holder, and a Torx 6 to remove the spacers off the original drive. Both of these tools are available for $1 at Sears or Walmart. For a video on how to do this, go to macsales dot com, click on Tech Support, then Videos, and choose the Mac you'll be upgrading. I admit that this isn't my first time swapping out drives, but honestly, this is a 15-20 process, and is really just a matter or removing some screws, pulling the connector off one drive and putting it on another, then reattaching the screws.

Last, you'll need to enable TRIM, which allows the drive to clean up deleted files. TRIM is only supported by Apple on their own SSDs, so you'll need to run a patch to fix it. You can find all the info you need at Lifehacker. Amazon doesn't let me insert links in reviews, so you'll need to Google How To Enable Trim to find the patch. It's free, and it's brain-dead simple to do. Reboot and you're all done!!

I love this new drive. I feel like I have a new machine that is faster than even the new Macs that were just announced at WWDC!! This drive is great. I'll report back over time to let you know how it holds up in daily use.

August 15, 2012 update: the drive continues to perform to my expectations. Every other computer I work on now seems slow compared to my MBP! As for battery life, I really don't notice a difference. I haven't conducted any tests that would yield empirical evidence about this, but I still get only 3-4 hours max out of my laptop, about the same I did with the OEM drive. Nonetheless, I am delighted with this device. It really is like having a new computer! Once again, I would caution that on a Mac, if you're upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion, or upgrading to the latest version of Lion, be careful that you re-enable TRIM support. I'm currently using TRIM Enabler to patch the OS, and while it will survive a reboot or restart just fine, it does not stay in place when you initiate a system update. Be sure to run the software to re-enable the patch, then restart your computer. (The restart will be lightening fast with your new drive, not like the PITA it was in the past!) Then run TRIM Enabler (or System Information) to confirm that TRIM is in place. I see this as a small price to pay for the dazzling performance I now get from my new hard drive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Firmware R211m makes it great, October 22, 2012
I installed this drive in a mid-2009 Macbook Pro and experienced the same issues that everyone else with older unibody MBPs with NVidia Sata controllers has. Sata 1 (1.5Mbps) speed and no TRIM.

Today I've installed the R211m update and those problems are gone!

With this fix, I am thoroughly happy with this drive. My old MBP boots in 12 seconds. Word starts in 3 seconds. I haven't seen any spinning beachballs in the past few weeks (and that was before the firmware update.)

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing perforance boost for a 6-yr old MacBook!, June 10, 2012
I've owned one of the discontinued black MacBook since 2006 and recently, I've noticed a drastic decrease in performance. The time to boot up and start applications took so much longer than it used to. I've timed it taking 8-10 minutes to boot up.

So when I saw the Deal of the Day on Sandisk, I picked up the 240 GB SSD since the price was within my range. I read up on how to change out the HDD and bought a Torx screwdriver. I don't have much of a background in computers or anything. I've only upgraded the RAM on laptop, so I was a little nervous doing this.

Here were my steps:
1. Used SuperDuper to clone my HDD to an external hard drive. (longest step - I took a nap) The enclosure I bought for my HDD hadn't arrived yet.
2. Made a bootable Lion DVD.
3. Opened up the MacBook and replaced the HDD with the SSD. (shortest step)
4. Booted up using the external HD (holding down the Alt key) and used Disk Utility to Partition the SSD.
5. Shut down then booted up using the Lion DVD (holding down the C key) and installed Lion. (I wanted a clean install)
6. Used Migration Assistant to move things from the external HD over to the new SSD.

When I booted up for the first time using the SSD, I was floored by the speed. It was under 20 seconds to boot. Now my applications open almost instantaneously. The fan no longer run constantly, it's so cool and quiet ... I'm so glad I decided to do it. It's working great with no errors or anything. I'm just so happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away..., August 17, 2012
I didn't move to an SSD for a long time. Too expensive.

Well, a gold box deal got the drive down to 75 cents a gig, and I broke down and got one. We all have our price points.

I got a very recent Dell Inspiron N7110 (aka Inspiron 17R, 6GB DDR3, i5-2450M, 1600x900 HD display, yadda, yadda, yadda) for an incredibly low price, when Dell mistakenly let two coupons overlap. Heh. Anyway, I was holding out for a full HD display with Blu-Ray, but I couldn't pass up about a 45% discount. The thing is bigger than home plate, but I need the screen real estate. (My laptop is my primary communications and picture backup device, and use 64-bit Photoshop and Premier CS5 on it on the road.)

The problem was, the thing had a 1TB, 5400rpm disk. It was killing me. All the other components (except maybe for the graphics, but I don't game) are pretty speedy, but I/O to that disk was painful.

After finding "Inspiron" and "User serviceable components" are mutually exclusive in Dell's world, I unscrewed the 28 screws of three different types (don't mix 'em up) and removed the four ribbon cables, and took half the machine apart to get to the hard disk. There's a video on how to do it out there. Go find it first before doing this.

Hooked up and booted off the old hard disk via e-sata and used True Image to clone, and when the True Image process finished it rebooted into the SSD. Simple as that. Good effing grief, I would have upgraded my last laptop to an SSD at twice the price had I known. I now have another SSD and will be upgrading my production core-i7 web/photo/video machine soon. [See update below.]

Others can give you the numbers, my Windows Experience disk score did go from a 5.9 to 7.8, but seat of pants says it's much faster. Boot/hibernate/wake/shutdown times are in terms of seconds, rather than if you can get a cup of coffee *and* go to the bathroom before it finishes...

Any five stars, and highly recommended. I had no problems except maybe my hand starting to cramp before I got the last screw back in...

Edit update: So long as I was fixing a mistake in the review (see comments), I should add I have one of these in each of my production machines (three of them, 1-120GB and 2-240GB), and have been running fast and flawlessly for 7-8 months now. I still highly recommend these disks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product but beware of faulty drive., August 23, 2012
I just ordered this SSD to replace a smaller drive as my primary hard drive in a new computer build. After installing Windows on it, I pulled up a temperature diagnostic tool, and the drive reported 128 degrees Celsius. This reading is probably an error, but to be sure I contacted SanDisk. They immediately said it is due to a manufacturing error and the drive should be RMA'd with a possible down time of over 3 weeks. This is ridiculous for a brand new SSD, so I have ordered a replacement through Amazon. The performance is great, but make sure to check that your drive is not similarly defective.

UPDATE:
I received a replacement drive from Amazon, and it reads 128 degrees C as well. Once again, SanDisk refused to say if this would actually affect the useful life or performance of the drive; they instantly wanted to RMA the drive. Both drives happened to come from the Las Vegas fulfillment center, so be warned about having received a bad drive if you ordered recently.