Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on August 9, 2009
UPDATE: May 13, 2010
I was contacted by an Amazon shopper named Rolla Gravett. He purchased a Transcend class 6 card that could maintain the 4.5fps to 100 shots. It could be a fluke but in the interest of relaying the facts, I'm letting you know that he offered video as evidence of this feat. Neither my Transcend class 6 card or class 10 card will do this.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this observation.

Repost 10-28-09

To respond to a request, I've changed the video today and included the test shooting in Raw mode. As you can see I'm not getting the 4.5FPS that I got in fine mode. This was about the same time that I shot 100 images in fine mode. Thank you for your suggestion. I got 56 images in just under 24 seconds. On my Transcendclass 6 card I got 25 shots in the same mode/time. My Transcend Class 10 card captured 37 images. In my opinion this is a much better demonstration of the card's write speed.

I have an Nikon D90. I purchased the 8G San Disc Extreme III card 30MB/S and a Transcend 16G class 6 card at the same time. The San Disc Extreme 3 card is incredibly fast. I get 100 pictures (4.5 frames per second) at fine resolution before the camera slows to buffer in 24 seconds. The Transcend card gets 17 photos on the same settings then pauses to buffer and only delivers 25 shots in 24 seconds. The Transcend Class 10 card delivers 66 shots in 24 seconds.

If you have the camera that can take full advantage of this write speed, this fast card is worth the investment. No more cringing while I wait for my camera to clear its buffer so I can take more pictures.

I like to shoot at 4.5 frames. It gives me a lot to pick through when I edit, but a lot can happen in a fraction of a second that can make a photo good or bad. Having the capability to hold down the shutter release and rattle off large bursts of photos is important to me.

I know this test is boring but it is a real world use test. I don't work for San Disc and would consider any other card with this write speed. A word of caution, all class 10 cards are not rated at 30MB/s, they only need to read and write at 10MB/s to be called class 10.

I have found that 8G is a good size for SLR Photography. In my opinion bigger cards are putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

If you have any questions or criticism please comment. I'll redo/repost the test if you can think of a way to make it better.

JPG fine Res Test at this link

Sandisk SDSDX3-008G-E31 8GB Extreme III SD Card 30MB/s (RETAIL PACKAGE)
4040 comments310 of 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2010
Some time ago I purchased a Transcend 16 GB Class 10 card and reviewed it as "Fast, Fast, Fast". Later reviewers pointed to the printed speed on the actual cards (and on the corporate web pages) (Transcend - 20 MB/sec, Sandisk Extreme - 30 MB/sec) as an indication that the Transcend card was not particularly fast. Since the term "speed" itself is pretty much a subjective description, and since the speed of the card also depends upon the speed of the camera hardware and software, I thought it might be worth speed timing the different cards in my camera (a Canon T1i).

My original card, before I bought the Transcend 16 GB Class 10, was a Transcend 8 GB Class 6 (actually a micro-sdhc card) and my review of the Transcend Class 10 card was based on comparison with that card. I bought the Sandisk Extreme card (8 GB since it was pretty expensive) and tested each.

The actual timing tests were simple enough. I formatted each card before each test. I then took 20 continuous photos at 8 MP, at 15 MP and at RAW, and recorded the time from the start of taking pictures to the time when the recording light turned off.

Timing:

1) Transcend 8 GB, class 6

Format - 51.5 seconds,

20 continuous photos, 8 MP, least compression - 8.6 seconds,
20 continuous photos, 15 MP, least compression - 13.4 seconds,
20 continuous RAW photos - 44.3 seconds

2) Transcend 16 GB, class 10

Format - 46.2 seconds (the other cards are 8 GB so this time is not relevant. I included it for the sake of completeness),

20 continuous photos, 8 MP, least compression - 8.4 seconds,

20 continuous photos, 8 MP, least compression - 8.0 seconds,
20 continuous photos, 15 MP, least compression - 9.7 seconds,
20 continuous RAW photos - 27.4 seconds

Results:

1) Clearly the Sandisk Extreme formats much faster than the Transcend Class 6. A comparison with the 16 GB Transcend Class 10 card would be invalid since the sizes are not the same and there is no evidence that timing for formatting is linear. That is, there is no reason to believe that it would take twice as long to format a 16 GB card as an 8 GB card. It might take more, it might take less,

2) Taking photos at 8 MP, least compression, is nearly the same for all cards. Canon recommends a Class 6 card for the T1i and it appears that that is sufficient for photos taken at 8 MP,

3) Taking photos at 15 MP, least compression, showed a significant difference depending on the card. The Transcend Class 10 card took almost 20% less time than the Transcend Class 6 card and the Sandisk Class 10 card took about 10% less time than the Transcend Class 10 card,

4) Taking RAW photos also showed a significant difference depending on the card. The Transcend Class 10 card took about 29% less time than the Transcend Class 6 card and the Sandisk Class 10 card took almost 13% less time than the Transcend Class 10 card.

Conclusions:

Some things seem clear to me.

1) The Transcend Class 10 card was clearly faster in all categories (except 8 MP) than the Transcend Class 6 and that was the basis for my review of the card. In my opinion the upgrade from the Transcend Class 6 to the Transcend Class 10 was worth doing given the way I take photos (15 MP, ocassionally RAW).

2) The Sandisk Extreme Class 10 card is faster than the Transcend Class 10 card when used in the camera to take pictures larger than 8 MP (the difference at 8 MP is 5% which is not, in my opinion, significant). Clearly the difference between the Transcend Class 10 and the Sandisk Class 10 is significant although the user would have to determine if the 10% and 13% differences were worth the difference in price (the Sandisk 8 GB Class 10 is more expensive than the Transcend 16 GB Class 10). Given the way I use my camera I feel it is not worth the difference in price, but others may feel differently.

3) The difference in speeds between the Transcend Class 10 and the Sandisk Extreme Class 10, when used in the camera, are very different than the theoretical differences given the posted speeds. Given those posted speeds, a user might well expect that the Sandisk Extreme would be about 30-35% faster, but it is not and one has to assume that the difference is caused by the speed of the camera hardware and software.

I rated this card as 5 stars although the extra speed was not significant enough for me to justify the extra cost. Still, the card is faster than my Transcend Class 10.
0Comment67 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2009
Works very well with my Canon Rebel T1i. Very fast and I don't get buffer bars when recording HD videos. This is a Class 10 SDHC and it really is worth every penny you pay for it. Frustration-free packaging is a BIG plus!
0Comment36 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 12, 2010
I will be writing this review for both SanDisk Extreme SDHC class 10 8gb and Transcend SDHC class 10 16gb.

I bought SanDisk class 10 and Transcend class 10 for my new Panasonic LX5. I got both card because no one really did a comparison with a compact camera and I was just going crazy trying to see if there is any big difference between the 2 cards.

SanDisk Extreme package box indicated it's water proof, x-ray proof, shock proof, temperature proof. I am not ready to spend $50 to see if it really stand up to it's words. And I don't think normal people would go through the extreme condition in taking pictures or videos.

Cut the story short, I really want to see if there is any difference in writing performance between the 2 cards in a compact camera. There is a continuous burst mode in LX5 and the manual indicated it is only limited by the condition of picture environment and performance of the SD card. Within the mode there are 2 different settings:1) speed priority or 2) picture/quality priority. The shutter speed is much faster with speed priority compare to picture priority.

I first formatted both cards out of box then put each card in series of test(3 rounds each setting for each card) shooting at the same object under same lighting condition. The results:
Speed Priority:
SanDisk Class 10 8gb
22-33 shots before camera stopped to allow the card to catch up with writing.

Transcend Class 10 16gb
22-24 shots before camera stopped to allow the card to catch up with writing.

Picture priority
SanDisk Class 10 8gb
34-46 shots before camera stooped

Transcend Class 10 16gb
27-33 shots before camera stopped

It seems that at a higher shutter speed, both cards performed very similar under the same shooting condition. But at a slower shutter speed the SanDisk definitely out perform Transcend. I hope this little experiment satisfied anyone with curiosity like me. Transcend definitely is a bargain with 16gb and almost half of the price compare to SanDisk. But I am going to use SanDisk Extreme as my primary card and Transcend as backup or on a second camera to ensure i would not miss any shots.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2010
I own a Canon T1i. I bought this card for 2 reasons I wanted to to decrease my instances of rolling choppy video on my class 4 cards ( I have only one class ) 6 at the moment and I was hoping to get increase my still frame rate before I buffered out. My video quality increased compared to a class 6 card but I still only get 8 frames raw in 3 seconds before my buffer maxes out. The time saved downloading from a card reader is negligible compared to a class 6. If you are solely looking at class 10 cards to increase your still work flow I would not recommend them for entry level dslrs regardless of brand. Save some cash and get the class 6.
1616 comments54 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2009
As an ex-Leica and former Nikon SLR user this is my first venture into the world of DSLR. For me, conventional film cameras are over.

I used this SanDisk card with a new NIkon D90 and 24mm-70mm lens. All of my photos are shot in RAW that generates large files. Simply put, it worked flawlessly. I shot multiple images at the frames per second capacity of the camera without a hitch or delay. As fast as I shot, the card handled it and never experienced a delay. Thus far, I have taken approximately 300 pictures.

Once I loaded the card into the Lexar reader ( USB 2.0 MULTI CARD) it downloaded very quickly on to my iMac (4 gigs of ram). My chosen software is Aperture from Apple. Aperture amazes me. Everything worked seamlessly and hassle free. Unless my files (newer camera in the future?) become significantly larger this card gets fives stars from me.
33 comments38 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2010
This card is the perfect fit for my Canon Rebel T2i. It holds 900+ high-quality jpegs, and it's perfect for a camera that needs extremely fast storage. Its Class 10 rating means that it never stutters when taking video, and it never slows down the camera when taking rapid-fire shots. I've had nothing but exemplary reliability from SanDisk SD and SDHC cards, and I'll continue to use them. I've seen the price in retail stores and from some online retailers to be twice what it is here or more, so buying from Amazon is an excellent bargain.
on August 15, 2010
If your camera is over 10 megapixels and takes 3+ shots per second... You need a fast memory card. This is one. This is a GREAT one. The canon rebel is 18MP and the file sizes get up towards 30MB when shooting in RAW. Video also eats up memory quickly.

Cameras like the D90 that shoot at 4.5FPS and don't have a huge buffer like pro bodies really benefit from this Class 10 Card. I use one (as well as a T2i) and the memory write speed can make the difference when shooting action.

Sandisk is the best in the business, in my humble opinion. Even their USB thumb drives are legendary for quality and reliability. I have several of those, along with other SD cards from Class 10 to ...before they labeled them with speeds.

Will a cheap memory card work? Yes!

It will. Then one day (maybe one like this) you're going to realize that the performance of your camera is directly related to the cheap card you threw in there. If you take one picture at a time, and don't care if you lose all your images, etc - the cheap cards can do that.

Got a new T2i or 60D? Don't consider a slow card if you're thinking about trying the HD movie mode! The video will look great until the camera chokes and basically spits out all the data. Hopefully it wasn't something you were planning on looking at again. Slow cards and massive data transfers do not mix.

When you discover the benefits of shooting in RAW and Continuous (good reasons for using a DSLR?), that's where this card comes in to play.

If you already realize that you need a fast memory card, you're on the right page. Scroll up and find the "Add to Cart" button. Order this and be done with it.

Snazzy looking card, by the way. It deserves some customer images. Even the box it comes in is nice.

5/5 - Worth Every Cent.

-Mike.
on July 3, 2010
I refuse to take chances with "bargain" brand media or with ordering from an environment where counterfeit media abounds. So I go for SanDisk and order mainly from amazon and amazon associated sellers.

So far these SanDisk Extreme Class (10) 8GB SDHC cards perform in my Canon T2i without a hitch. A few tips:

1. format in the camera!!!!

2. Don't fill the card up, stop at about 80% capacity and put a fresh one in.

3. Don't let "stuff" accumulate on the card. Transfer to your computer after each session/shoot, then format in the camera.

4. Store extra SDHC media in a good protective case. The little Pelican case that holds 8 SD/SDHC cards is perfect and waterproof too.
on March 7, 2011
I purchased a SanDisk Extreme III 8gb card. I installed it in my Sony DSC-TX7 camera and went on vacation. When I returned, I removed the card to install on my laptop. When I opened the battery/SD door and ejected the card, the card came out along with black pieces of plastic. When I closely inspected the pieces of plastic they came from the front edge of the memory card. The card was actually coming apart.

I contacted SanDisk and told them of the problem. This is where the real problem started. SanDisk asked me to send them pictures of the defective card. The card is so small that I could not get good pictures without Macro capability. I do not have that on my Sony camera. I took the best pictures I could and sent them in. I got an email back that my case had been escalated to a higher level and the response was that SanDisk is not responsible for mis-use of memory cards. I had only inserted and removed the card once from my camera. I hardly consider that mis-use.

I find that SanDisk is not customer oriented! They would rather contest a minor product complaint than satisfy a customer complaint. Their warranty is worthless. I will never purchase another SanDisk product again. It is not so much the problem with their product as their attitude towards their customers. If you buy a product from this company, don't expect them to honor their warranty or try to satisfy you as a consumer.
33 comments20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse