5.0 out of 5 stars Measured Read/Write speed EXACTLY as advertised
I have tested dozens of flash memory cards in the past few years. Being a cheapskate, I usually stay with mid-price products, such as the SanDisk Ultra series. When Amazon held a lightning deal on this SanDisk Extreme 16 GB microSDHC Card, I jumped on the opportunity to try the faster series, just to see what I've been missing.

I used a benchmark program called...
Published 10 months ago by NLee the Engineer

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great....for a month.
This card was exactly what it was advertised to be.
About a month in the card locked up and became unusable.
I can take copy files off the device, but I cannot format the card without getting errors. Nothing will read or write to the device either.
Must be a bad card?
Published 7 months ago by Toresen

5.0 out of 5 stars Measured Read/Write speed EXACTLY as advertised, February 8, 2014
This review is from: SanDisk Extreme 16GB MicroSDHC UHS-1 Flash Memory Card Speed Up To 45MB/s With Adapter, Frustration-Free Packaging- SDSDQXL-016G-AFFPA [Old Version] (Personal Computers)

I used a benchmark program called "CrystalDiskMark v3.01 x64" to measure, among other parameters, the Sequential Read and Write speed of this card. The card reader I used is the Transcend USB 3.0 Card Reader (TS-RDF5K), plugged into an USB 3.0 port. This is important because if you use an USB 2.0 card reader or USB 2.0 port, the maximum speed will be severally handicapped.

My benchmark shows Sequential Read speed of 47MB/s and Write speed of 32MB/s. See the image I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section for details. The result is consistent with the manufacturer's spec of 45MB/s in Read and 30MB/s in Write. The Write speed, in particular, is about 2.5x faster than the Sandisk Ultra card (which can only deliver 13MB/s).

Of course, the real benchmark has to be done in a real life application. For that, I inserted the Sandisk Extreme microSDHC card (with SD adapter) into my Canon Rebel T1i DSLR, set it to save both RAW and JPEG formats, then took 10 consecutive shots in burst mode. This Sandisk Extreme card took just 14.1 sec to save all 250MB of data in my camera. In contrast, the Sandisk Ultra card took much longer at 23.8s, even though it also qualifies as a 'class-10'.

This is the fastest card I have tested to date. But as it turns out, the card I bought is actually the SLOWEST among the Sandisk 'Extreme' family. According to the manufacturer's spec:
- 'Extreme': Up to 45 MB/s read; 30 MB/s write
- 'Extreme PLUS': Up to 80 MB/s read; 50 MB/s write
- 'Extreme Pro': Up to 95 MB/s read; 90MB/s write

On the other hand, this Sandisk Extreme card performed exactly as advertised, so I cannot complain. Maybe one day I'll break down and try the 'PLUS' or 'Pro' next. For now I'm happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for GoPros, January 24, 2014
High speed, high quality recording for the new GoPro 3+ camera in any of the recording formats! 4k, 2.7, 1080 super wide!

5.0 out of 5 stars Using it with GoPro Hero 3+ black ed, January 3, 2014
Usually I film on 1080p 48fps superview without protune and it works great. I tried 4k with protune and it also works without any lag. Maximum video bit rate was 46 MB/s. Sd adapter is included.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great....for a month., May 24, 2014
This card was exactly what it was advertised to be.
About a month in the card locked up and became unusable.
Must be a bad card?

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on May 27, 2014 1:34:43 PM PDT
Hi Toresen,

My name is Allen from SanDisk support. I am sorry to hear that your memory card has stopped functioning. SanDisk stands behind the warranty on its products. We recommend you to please contact SanDisk support at 1-866-SANDISK or submit a support request at www.sandisk.com/support. The manufacturer warranty on brand new products extends beyond the Amazon.com 30 day return period. We will assist you towards a resolution including a possible warranty replacement.

SanDisk Support

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for 108 days - Lost Yellowstone Experience, July 13, 2014
15-Aug-14 Update: Sandisk replaced my card after a several day delay and paperwork. What, you can't take customer support outside work days 9-4 Pacific time? Come on, toothpaste makers take responses 24/7/365! Yes, they replaced my card, and it appears to work. I'm taking it our for a 80 mile bike ride tomorrow. I'll let you know.

[Original Review below]

SUDDEN DEATH: 1) Pro: Worked for 108 days. 2) Con: Died on day 109 while on the trip of a lifetime to Yellowstone. Result: Frustration. Disappointment. Hate (at SanDisk).

I tried to reformat it in my Go-Pro Hero 3 as well as using Windows, 3rd Party software and even SanDisk's reco posted in response to several similar negative reviews. See: [...]
I tried to call SanDisk, but for some reason, they don't think people have problems outside of business hours. 8am-7pm Pacific time Mondays through Friday. REALLY? At this point, I would have been thrilled at even getting a crappy offshore tech support experience.

The card appears to be locked in "write only". (See other similar reviews.) No-It is NOT AN ADAPTER's write protect switch. Even after an attempted format, the old videos are there. The card cannot be written to or formatted despite multiple computers and platforms.

THANKS SANDISK, I JUST LOST THE MEMORIES OF A LIFETIME!

P.S. I do not hold Amazon in any way responsible for this. I buy more from them then any sane (Prime) member should. This is a SanDisk FAIL.

Scott Goodfellow, Cincinnati, Ohio

10Aug2014 Update: SanDisk Replaced my card with no questions. There were a few procedural questions / issues, but they honored their warranty. Be prepared for an email exchange. A small consolation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price!, January 14, 2014
I was a little hesitant on buying this card since the price was so low compared to other vendors. But I decided to take a chance. Do Not Regret it. The card is as described, works fine and I received the package on time. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAST!, March 1, 2014
This memory is very fast, it added to my Samsung Galaxy S4 overall memory storage. I would recommend this as a very valued purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 7, 2014
What is there to say other than it's a memory card and devices write to it. Works well with GoPro Hero 3 + Black when recording 1080p/60fps/ProTune/RAW.

If you have giant hands like me, it may be hard to handle because it is tiny. It's nice that it has SD adapter as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars GoPro Approved, March 27, 2014
Worked fine first time in GoPro Hero 3+ Black. 7 hours of flawless video. You pay well for this but it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used in my GoPro, February 13, 2014
For the price, it's well worth it. I use it in my GoPro and works great. But then again ScanDisk makes a great product.