I was looking for micro SDHC cards for use in my VIZIO 8-Inch Tablet. Naturally, I assumed that a card with higher speed class rating should run faster in my application. After much experimentation, however, I found that this class-4 SanDisk 32 GB microSDHC card actually performs much better than a so-called class-10 PNY 32 GB microSDHC Card (P-SDU32G10-EFS2)...
Published on February 7, 2012 by NLee the Engineer

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising
Published on June 3, 2011 by Eric

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising, June 3, 2011
Honestly, I could probably rate this at three stars since I actually got an authentic SanDisk card in retail packaging. But the ad is clearly advertising a class 4 card through the use of the giant class 4 display picture. This result also came up when specifically looking for a class 4. The details don't mention that "this is for a class 2 card even though the picture shows a class 4". Guess what class I received? To me, that kind of false advertising (which I have no doubt is completely intentional to drive sales but then pull the blame by saying "well, the ad doesn't specifically SAY class 4 in the text) is more than enough for me to give this item the lowest rating possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest 'class 4' card is better than an over-rated 'class 10' card, February 7, 2012

The speed class rating for SD card is defined as the minimum write speed during sequential writing of a HUGE file. For examples: A 'class-4' means the card must be able to sustain at least 4MB/s in write. A 'class-6' means 6MB/s, and so on. So if you need to use your digital camera to record HD video, then definitely you need at least a 'class 6', preferably a 'class 10' card.

The problem is: speed class rating does not tell you anything about write speed during random writing of smaller files. But this is a more important performance indicator for the card when used in a tablet or a cell phone. As it turns out, a card advertised as 'class 10' could be much slower than another 'class 4' card in this aspect.

I used several different benchmark programs, to measure the data write speed for small, medium and large files. Here is what I have found: (see my uploaded charts in 'Customer Images' section for details)

- For sequential writing of huge files (500MB), the Sandisk card reached 6MB/s, which is 50% faster than the 'class-4' requirement. The PNY card did better at 8MB/s, but note that this number is still below its 'class-10' rating.

- For random writing of smaller files (1-5MB), the Sandisk reached amazing speed of 14-17MB/S, while the PNY card only achieved 1-6MB/s.

- For random writing of tiny files (4KB), both cards became much slower. But the Sankdisk is still about 5 times faster than the PNY card.

Conclusion:
When the memory card is used in a tablet or a cell phone, its speed class rating is basically meaningless. It is the random read/write speed of small files that limits the system performance. That is why this Sandisk class-4 card actually performs much better than the over-rated PNY 'class 10' card. The best thing is, the Sandisk card even costs less.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandisk 32 GB Memory Upgrade for HTC EVO 8 GB Android Phone, October 19, 2010
Jared (Milwaukee, WI, US) - See all my reviews
I ordered this product to increase the storage capacity of my new phone from its 8gb original capacity. Sprint wanted an additional ~$100.00 to upgrade me to 16gb or and additional $179.00 to get the EPIC with 16gb standard. I looked this up on Amazon and thought that I would try it to see if it (32gb) would work for much less than the cost Sprint was charging for 16gb.
I made the right choice and the 32gb has worked perfectly and smoothly. Now I have a 32 GB HTC EVO with as much storage and music capacity as I want.

Great and impressive memory card!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest 32G Class 4 card around, May 21, 2011
I was somewhat confused in ordering this, as the photo shows a Class 4 card but the product number refers to a Class 2 (per Sandisk's site). But, when I received it today (Blue Proton, fulfilled by Amazon), I verified that it's definitely a C4 card. Also, it comes with an SD adapter, so no need to worry about that.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a joke., May 21, 2011
Bought this thinking it was a great deal on a 32gb card. What a worthless crock that turned out to be.

Came in some little ziplock bag like it was a couple ounces of crack or something, definitely not a retail package. Stuck it in my Cowon J3 media player, tried to transfer 6gb of files to it. Got 1/3 done then it told me the card had been removed. Really? Some of the files that actually made the transfer are unreadable, and some of the other file names are garbled. Now I can't erase anything I've transfered.

So I tried again with the card in a usb card reader. Same results. Tried to format it with the panasonic SD utility, which told me the card was write protected. No it wasn't, like all microSD cards, the damn thing doesn't even have a mechanical write-protect tab on it. And no, there was no write-protect on my card reader either, all my other cards work fine in it.

I only blame myself though. When something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

In the end, I ended up driving to a local computer store to pick up a card. A lexar branded card that is, and yes, THAT one came in a retail package but the price was a bit steeper. Worth it though, knowing you're not buying some stupid chinese knockoff.

Never again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Counterfeit? Definitely not new..., April 22, 2011
when I first received my 32GB card I was upset to see that it did not come in factory packaging. instead it came inside a plastic carrying case with an "SD" card adapter. The adapter has both "Trademark" and "Registered" Logo's following the brand and product names. However the card itself has neither. I was very worried at this point because there is no serial on the card. Therefore no way to verify it's authenticity. So I decided to test the card in my Motorola Droid. I have successfully filled the card with Music, Movies, and Books and have had no problems so far accessing the information saved on the card. I am still convinced however that this card is in fact counterfeit. albeit a very good one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake SD Cards, May 25, 2011
Received this SD card today. Put in cell phone and it read as 32GB but only saved 10GB. Returning to get a real ScanDisk card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Space, August 10, 2010
I read several articles on the Droid incredible and found out that this phone could have 32gb microsd card. So I jumped on that fast just to the extra space on my phone. This was well worth buying

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with my Samsung phone, July 9, 2012
I'm using this only to store music on my Samsung S390G phone, I have 120 songs stored so far, and they don't make a dent in the 4 GB microSD card. This is a Class 4 card, the songs are playing/sounding fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, but i don't notice the difference between class 2 or 4., November 25, 2011
A lot of reviews keep saying this SD card is fake. Shoppers need to realize when they shop for these micro SD cards that there are tons of other sellers. For some reason, Amazon.com is not usually the ones that advertised when browsing. You actually have to look at the right side of the screen, and click 'add to cart' to get the one that Amazon is specifically selling. Once you look at the right side of the screen, you'll see all the other sellers as well. The one that is always advertisied on the main page is from the seller 'Blue Proton'. Not sure why.

Anyways, sandisk usually makes good products. I got this specifically because it was a class 4, but to be honest, i can hardly notice the difference between the 4 and the 2. It doesn't copy files any faster. In fact, it looks about the same. Anyways, this is an official release and you can tell because it comes in the red sandisk packaging. It is probably a bootleg if it doesnt come in the red package. This is just a great option for people who want to store huge music and movies on their phones.