4.0 out of 5 stars Large, Fast, Relatively Inexpensive
Published on April 29, 2006 by Brian Koch

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine died too....
Published on July 18, 2006 by NativeTxn

4.0 out of 5 stars Large, Fast, Relatively Inexpensive, April 29, 2006
This review is from: SanDisk SDCFH-004G-A11 4GB 30MB/s ULTRA CF Card (US Retail Package) (Personal Computers)
This card can hold up to about 1500 8 megapixel jpgs (give or take) which is usually more than I need in a single day. I also have three 1 gig Ultra II's and have noticed that they seem to be faster than the 4 gig version...but I usually don't need more than 9 pictures of an event in less than 5 seconds anyway, so this has not caused too much trouble. I have taken about 5,000-6,000 pictures on this card so far without any problems, other than running low on hard drive space because I end up taking more pictures due to this cards large size. So if speed is your main concern I recommend buying a few 1 gig cards or even moving up to an Extreme III, but other than that this card is a very good size for the cost and gets the job done.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine died too...., July 18, 2006
I bought this in April for my new Canon 30D and it worked great until several months ago. When I would go back to scroll through the recently taken pictures on my camera it would start saying "Data Corrupted". It started out slowly then it would lose every third picture. I tried to reformat the card and got an error message. Now my camera does not recognize it nor does the camera software on my computer. It was a wonderful card while it lasted but I too am hesitate to get another one. Hopefully mine was a lemon too.....but then again.

3.0 out of 5 stars batch problem..., November 26, 2006
Normally I really like Sandisk CF cards. I have an Ultra II 1 gig that has performed flawlessly for over a year. I just recently purchased 2 of the 4 gig cards for an upcoming trip.

To preface I've had digital cameras for years. As far as digital SLR's I've had the orginal DRebel, 2 20D's and 2 30D's.. as well as a Nikon D50. I'm not a novice when it comes to these and to the cards they take.

Upon arrival of the 4 gig cards I put them in to check them. Both produced Err 99 on the Canon 30D's... as well as the Canon 20 D's. The only way around that Err 99 was to format BOTH CF cards on my computer .. and only then did they work in the cameras.

I have NEVER had to format an card before first time use in any of my cameras (including the other 2 4 gig cards that I own).

The cards are being sent back to where I got them, and I'm purchasing cards from a different vendor (and the Ultra III). It's my belief that it could be a batch problem .. as I am hearing others complain of this issue over the last month.

If you experience this problem, return them IMMEDIATELY to the vendor that you purchased it from. While reformatting them on your computer will work, there's a fairly good chance that the card could fail down the road.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but..., January 3, 2007
I love the quality and speed of SanDisk cards. Nevertheless I must confess, after having an Extreme card, you do feel the difference, while browsing through the pics in the camera... I believe it's worth to pay the difference for an Extreme one. In all other matters, great product, reasonable speed (while taking / processing pictures) and good speed for transfering photos to the computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 4 months, July 11, 2006
K. Bauman (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This seemed like a great card at a great price. Unfortunately after 4 months, during the middle of a paid shoot, all of the images instantly dissappeared. I stopped using the card, put it aside until I got home. I tried to use software to recover the images. Only a few could be recovered, the rest were gone. I've not been able to re-format the card in either a canon eos 5d, digital rebel, or using software on my computer. The card is now completely un-usable.

All of my older cards continue to work just fine. Hopefully this is just a lemon, although I need to replace it, and am obviously apprehensive about purchasing another one from Sandisk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good storage card, May 7, 2007
This card works well with my Canon Rebel XTI. It is the fatest recommended card and on the best jpg setting stores about 900 pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Own 5, September 15, 2006
I own five of these. The first one I bought at least a year and a half ago, maybe two. Not a problem with any of them, ever. They're fast and at a good price point. If you do any kind of action photography where your camera's buffer comes into play it's worth the extra money to buy a card that will read and write faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars SanDisk Ultra Hight Performance 4GB CF card, July 30, 2006
Jimzeee (Safety Harbor, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This card worked flawlessly - with great capture speed. I recently went on vacation and took in excess of 400 fine Jpeg shots. No need to bring a computer to download to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Card - with a warning, July 18, 2007
I used this card for over a year with no problem, deleting all the images on it with my computer numerous times without a problem. Until recently. I deleted the images from my computer, was able to take two photos, then got the change notice on my Nikon D70. I reformatted the card on the camera, but it's still unusable.

It's a great card, delete on your computer at your own risk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Write speeds are important., June 1, 2010
J. Warner (Billings MT USA) - See all my reviews
Write speeds for cards become the most import aspect in Compact Flash cards when laying on the motor drive. At 30 megs per second, this card bogs down when shooting sports at 9 frames per second on my 12 meg Nikon D700 or D300. The buffer in the card will cover the initial bursts, but then lags and stalls as the card processes and stores the data that becomes bottlenecked between the camera and the card. What happens is suddenly, while laying on the motor, the camera stops firing. Then a few frames at a time will fire as space opens up during downloads. All images taken before the clog hits will make it into the card, soon enough (just don't turn the camera OFF while they're inputing). This card is as advertised. It holds 4 gigs. The reason it costs less than other 4 gig cards is the Slower Write (or processing) Speed. Just take note that there are much more expensive cards with the same 4-gig capacity. They are more expensive because their Write Speeds are much quicker, from 133 megs per second, over 300 megs per second, and so forth. Professionals need these speeds primarily when shooting sports and often enough they're on the motor for several seconds. The images get from the camera into the card almost instantaneously, say, 40 at a time, without needing a breather. THAT's what you pay the extra money for. Just an FYI...

Rate and Discover Movies