Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now DOTD

SanDisk 8 GB Ultra II SDHC Card with MicroMate USB 2.0 Reader

As long as your devices are compatible with the SDHC format, this is a great card. The 8 GB capacity on this guy makes it perfect for high capacity storage. The Ultra II speed is definitely fast enough for most users at just under 10 MBs. But professional photographers storing pictures in RAW image formats will want to step up to the Extreme III cards that are about twice as fast as these Sandisk SDSDRX38192 Extreme III SDHC 8GB Card with MicroMate Reader. Overall this is a solid product perfect for users that store images in JPEG formats or are recording videos in standard definition.

There are a few tips that I've learned the hard way through buying many different SDHC memory cards.

1. If you are buying this for a camera or other device, make sure your device is SDHC compatible. SDHC is different from regular SD and only newer devices tend to have built-in compatibility
2. Once you install this in your camera or device, you will generally want to format the card with your compatible device's interface. That is because the standard formats for certain devices, particularly Canon, are different from the factory installed format
3. Just like your devices, most computer SD card readers are not compatible with the SDHC format. So use the microMate reader, like the one included here, or download the pictures via USB connection to the camera with the card still installed.
4. For some reason, placing the card in the locked position allows some older laptops to still read it. This is just to be used in a pinch however, and it won't apply to all systems
5. If you did not properly format your card, you may be able to save things to it and then have them "disappear." If this happens to you, make sure you use the software recovery tools BEFORE you try to save anything else to your card. That way, you can retrieve your images without over-writing them.
6. Make sure you know what you are going to use this card for. Once you have set up everything and ensured it's all compatible, you still have to decide on speed. If you are using this for storing RAW images instead of JPEGs or HD video, step up to the faster Extreme III format that is about twice as fast as this one.

This is an awesome card as long as you have done your homework. The included reader can also be bought separately. Buying one of these sets to have the extra reader and then you can buy more stand alone cards and save the cash. This guy is about $65, $10 less than the Extreme III. Make sure you review your needs because if you have a high capacity camera (10 Megapixels or more) and are storing videos or RAW images, the extra $10 is worth it. For everybody else, this will more than meet your needs.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2008
You can get up to 64min of video on a Canon G9 using the highest quality setting (1024 x 768 @ 15FPS) which would equal 8 GB.

If long video is important to you G9'ers, this is the biggest one they got.

This 8 GB capacity card does not come in Ultra III speed, Ultra II is the fastest you're going to get right now for this capacity, and it is a negligible difference vs. my Ultra III 4GB card.

The included free USB card Reader is *clutch* to have with you in your camera case, unless you like carrying an extra camera wire around with you to transfer images... It also saves the batteries while transferring images. This device worked with Win XP, without having to install any drivers as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2008
Excellent product. The 8GB card works great in my Canon S5 IS. I get just over an hour of the best quality video or over 2,200 best quality photos! It formats (normal & low level) everytime. Best quality video records and plays back perfectly smooth. The card is plenty fast.

The Micromate reader is great. It has a flashing green LED during file transfer and the protective cap fits over either the USB toungue or the card when in use. It's small and lightweight yet feels durable. True SanDisk quality.

Highly recommended unless the 16GB version becomes affordable. I may buy one just for a backupdrive on my laptop.
on September 26, 2009
Just a heads up that this card (SDSDRH-008G-A11) no longer says Ultra II, just Ultra. The photo should be changed on the page. Apparently SanDisk no longer uses the II on their SDHC cards.
on January 23, 2008
A fast card that's able to hold about 470 raw images taken by my 10 megapixel Pentax K10D. Enough room for more than 1600 high quality JPEGs. It's nice not having to worry about carrying an extra memory card or deleting pictures during a trip just too free space to take another. Only had it the card for one month so I can't comment on reliability.
on April 13, 2009
I am using this card for RAW+JPEG shooting and HD video with the Nikon D90. Plenty of capacity and plenty fast. I have always used genuine SanDisk products (CF, SD and MicroSD) and have never had a single issue with any one of them. Great card at a great price, I'm happy.
on December 24, 2007
works just fine. allows to shoot about 65 minutes of video or about 2300 pictires in Superfine mode.
usb reader thing (included) is handy too.
on September 5, 2008
A thing like a memory card should work so well it's invisible. It's a little like a support person at a corporation who maintains things so well she or he never gets a raise because management doesn't see what good they do since everything works so well.

Well, that's the case with the 8 Gig card. It just works and works fast in my Ricoh GX100.

When the request from Amazon for a review of this product appeared in email I had to check the camera to see which card I was using. Sure enough, it is the new 8 Gig card. Works great.

The card reader works perfectly as well which is important since the card is a SDHC card and cannot be read by a standard SD reader.

I actually upload photos in the camera using the camera and a cable, so I don't use the reader very much, but the card in the camera gives me no problems.
on April 4, 2011
Going on vacation to Disney last summer, I used one of these and a few smaller ones. Since the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami hit, and they predicted that Flash memory prices will rise, I snapped up two of these at $11.99 each. They perform well in my canon 500d (T1i) despite canon saying you should use class 6 and above. With these two and my other sandisk 8gb, plus my SanDisk 2 and 4gb...I have 36gb of storage. No need to drag along a laptop so I can clean off the cards, next time I go somewhere.
Having had other cards fail, I trust SanDisk exclusively. They hold up and seem to have excellent throughput.
on February 9, 2011
With some skepticism, I bought this for my Canon EOS Rebel T1i. The dealer I chose had a good rating and I received it in about 3 days, which I consider very fast. It is a very fast card. Noticeably faster than a standard 8GB at about half the retail price in a drug store. I'd recommend anyone with a digital camera to use this speed whether shooting video or not. I just take single frames of wildlife but usually 2-3 in a burst. This card keeps up with me very well.