1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Three years without any failure.
This is by far, the most cost-effective, reliable and strong performing CF card on the market. I am a professional photographer, but until I switched to the Extreme Pro line of CF cards, the Sandisk Ultra cards were my staple. While I would suggest all pro/sports photogs switch to the faster cards, these will be all many people need!

PROS
- Excellent price...
Published on May 16, 2012 by Ciaran

3.0 out of 5 stars The difference is obvious
Published on March 24, 2011 by crferguson

5.0 out of 5 stars Three years without any failure., May 16, 2012
This review is from: SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash 8 GB Memory Card 30MB/s SDCFH-008G-U46 (Personal Computers)

PROS
- Excellent price for an 8GB card
- Reasonably speedy, rarely do you play "cache catch-up" as we like to call it
- Insanely reliable*
- Superficially, I like the aesthetics

NEUTRAL/CONS
- NONE.

*On reliability: I own 12 Sandisk Ultra CF cards, and I have had NO problems in 3 years of near daily use. I have them in 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB varieties, and it doesn't matter how fast I fill them up with the 1DS MkII, they never miss an image. I came over to SanDisk from Kingston, and have yet to look back.

WHO ARE THESE FOR?
As I mentioned before, I would suggest pro or sports photogs go for a faster card - if you are getting paid for your photography you need a guarantee that you will get THE shot. That said, if you are into portrait, architectural, nature or any other lower-speed photography, these will perform excellently! I have yet to encounter someone who had a terrible experience with these cards - except for the usual DOA complaints (which are quickly fixed by Amazon or SanDisk) - these cards rarely if ever fail within a few years of strenuous use!

OVERALL
Highly recommended - they remain in my camera bag for those times when insane speeds aren't needed. If you have the cash however, these are good choices:
Sandisk 8GB Extreme CF memory card - UDMA 60MB/s 400x (SDCFX-008G-A61, Retail Package)
SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro CF memory card - UDMA 90MB/s 600x (SDCFXP-016G-A91, US Retail Package)

3.0 out of 5 stars The difference is obvious, March 24, 2011
I was hoping this would be a much more affordable alternative to the Extreme III cards by SanDisk. And, by all of the specs and reviews I could find it sounded like it was a less expensive equivalent. It works fine, but I've noticed that it lags on faster shooting in my Canon 5D Mark II whereas the same 8GB Extreme III cards do not lag at all. I suppose you get what you pay for :) This would be fine for shooting portraits where you can take your time, but not so much for weddings where you cannot afford to miss the shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great card for the money, May 4, 2012
I bought this for my 7D and have no problems with it at all. For the record, the 7D has a 15 shot buffer in RAW mode. (or 94 large fine jpegs) The buffer writes to the card as you are shooting so unless you are the type to lay on the shutter at 8fps for 4-5 seconds straight this card will work fine. When shooting sports and marching band I usually shoot in bursts of no more than 6-8 shots with a couple seconds in between and this card never misses a beat. I use it for full 1080p video on occasion with no trouble as well. Altogether, unless you have a real need for clearing the buffer faster there is no reason to waste the money on a faster card. If you're the type to hold the shutter down shooting 8fps continually then go for a faster card.

4.0 out of 5 stars If memory serves..., February 27, 2012
I am a professional photographer based in St. Augustine, Florida. Our weather is hot and sticky and so our the tourists. When I head on a shoot there is no doubt that the memory card in my camera is my #1 concern. Weeks of prep and hours of shooting can be wiped out by a defective memory card (read my review on the Transcend card). I only purchase SanDisk (the people who created the format) and Lexar(the people who perfected it).

It will cost you a few more dollars to buy SanDisk, but if it saves you even half of a shoot, it will have already paid for itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works just like I wanted!, September 28, 2013
This is the second time I've purchased this card. I shoot with a Canon 50d on all my photo session, and have had great luck. I haven't had any problems with it not shooting fast enough, but I don't often use rapid fire shooting.

Only negative is that it doesn't come with a plastic case. I bought them separately in bulk for a few bucks, but I like to keep them in the cases. Did come in original, factory sealed packaging though.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what it says on the cover, July 12, 2010
A very good card I glad I got it. I bought for when I went to the Isle of Scilly so I didn't have to bring my lap top to down load all the time. I got well over 400 Raw photo's on it (I did lose count after a while). But simple as it had more than enough space on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Customer, January 29, 2014
Since I could not find a 4GB in local stores, I decided to search online ... Happy to report that I found just what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, effective and well made., November 16, 2013
The gold standard for flash memory. Inexpensive, effective and long lasting. What more could you ask for. SanDisk never fails.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for most, so so for me, August 27, 2013
If you are using these to just store files or in a camera, these are a 4. They'd be a 5 for this application except that there are now much faster cards available. For my purposes, 30MB/second is fine.

I've used compact flash memory, and specifically SanDisk, as boot media for embedded systems for more than a decade. All but a couple of SanDisk cards are 5 stars my application as they make the best flash memory. Some years ago, their 256MB cards wouldn't boot and were a zero. These work but the 30MB/second 4GB cards, and only the 4GB cards, report a different raw drive size then they actually have. The embedded systems work just fine except that the logs have A LOT more writes. For the first time, I've had cards fail because of excessive writes to partitions that aren't read only. This isn't true with the earlier 15MB/second 4GB cards, nor with smaller or larger cards at 30MB/second.

5.0 out of 5 stars Met expectations. Highly recommend for Canon EOS Rebel XT camera., July 25, 2013
Bought this SanDisk Compact Flash card for my Canon EOS Rebel XT Digital Camera for use on trip to Africa (Photo Safari). The card performed flawlessly; provided plenty of storage for all the photos I took, and write speed is plenty fast.