5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, Fast and Reliable
I am very fond of my Sandisk cards.

Published on April 28, 2007 by David P. Shaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Big problems with San Disk 8 GB Compact Flash and Canon DSLR
Published on November 30, 2011 by John Kieffer

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, Fast and Reliable, April 28, 2007
David P. Shaw (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB/30MB Ultra CF Card ( SDCFH-008G-A11, US Retail Package ) (Personal Computers)
I am very fond of my Sandisk cards.

I also have a Sandisk 4.0 GB Extreme card, and did an interesting comparison. I held a recording time race between Ultra and Extreme, here in my livingroom. Recording a big buffer full of photos in multiple trials, the recording times were identical. The more expensive Extreme was no faster than this card. In my case, the recording rate has to be limited by my camera, a Nikon 8800.

Having a reliable card as large as 8.0 GB is very helpful.

My cards have traveled to Alaska, Mexico, and Ecuador, and have had to function in all sorts of conditions. They have recorded 100,000+ photos, each of which I desperately did not want to loose. I back them up as often as I can, but I still worry, and I have lost photos when other cards failed.

I am pleased to say I have never lost a photo from a Sandisk card - in spite of the abuse I put them through.

Last week I filled up my Sandisk Ultra II 8.0 GB with important photos - carefully staged photos of butterfly specimens at the California Academy of Sciences. I worked 12 hours a day for 8 days on this project. The card behaved as it always has, and every single one of the 2400 photos I took, made it home safely.

Do back your cards up often, but from experience I can say that I have a very, very favorable impression of this card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Card for the money, February 23, 2007
BillB (Portage, WI) - See all my reviews
This is the best value in an 8 gig card. I've bought a couple super fast generic cards and they are slooooow. False advertizing. I will stick to name brands. I'm using this in a Nikon D2X and D200 and the card is plenty fast. It will empty a full buffer of 25 raw images in one minute, plenty fast for me. Faster brand name cards might be faster but more money. For me this is the right balance of speed and cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars High capacity, high speed, maximum flexibility..., September 3, 2007
Sprout (Port Townsend, WA) - See all my reviews
I've been using this card on my camera since early May, and I am completely enthralled by the flexibility that its speed and capacity give me. Try as I might, the closest I've come to filling this card up on my Canon XTi was on a 5 day long trip where I shot over 3,000 pictures on Medium/Fine quality (2816x1880). I didn't have my computer or any other storage with me on the trip, so I was anticipating having to go through and start deleting pictures at some point to be able to keep everything I wanted and still be able to shoot more. On the third day though, I realized that I had only half-filled the card with about 2,000 shots. I was also able to get a 90-shot burst at 3fps on medium. For the most part, Medium/Fine resolution on the XTi will be good enough for most prints. I've printed up to 11x14 with a bit of post-processing with great success.

So the card by itself will handle a very photo-happy trip with the right quality settings. But when I'm going out for something a bit more deliberate, say some portraits for a friend, I can shoot about 800 photos in RAW, and almost 450 in RAW+JPEG-large! (though if I need JPEGs I usually just do a quick batch conversion when I import everything onto my PC into Adobe Lightroom)

However my favorite thing about this card is that I can use it to shoot timelapse without having to tote my laptop around. If I can get access to an AC outlet, or use the inverter in my car for field-work, I can set up my camera with just my locked shutter release cable or the converted intervalometer I sometimes snag from my friend. This means I don't have to bring my laptop, I don't have to set up the software with the cabling, I don't have to worry about powering my laptop, I don't need to quickly respond to any computer-to-camera communication issues, I can set up and move much more quickly...there's just a boatload of advantages!

If I shoot in medium/fine resolution, this card will give me enough frames for a 2-minute, 24fps high-definition time lapse video. If I shoot in small/fine resolution (1936x1280 is still higher resolution than 1080P video's 1920x1080) I can do nearly 4-minutes. And if I want to sacrifice a small amount of quality for length, shooting at small/regular I can get nearly 10-minutes of timelapse video.

On the speed side of things, this card is plenty quick. Surprisingly I get a fast transfer straight from the camera over a USB cable than with my card reader, but it might just be a bad card reader. But I can transfer a nearly-full card in just a few minutes. Camera to card transfer is pretty fast, and it only takes a few seconds for the buffer to clear after single a RAW+JPEG-L shot, and about 20 seconds to clear the full buffer (good for 9 RAW+JPEG-L, 12 RAW, or 90+ Medium/Fine pictures)...

I also have not had a single instance of data corruption or any other problems with this CF card. It's solid as a rock and I'm extremely glad that I didn't go for something smaller or cheaper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big problems with San Disk 8 GB Compact Flash and Canon DSLR, November 30, 2011
John Kieffer (BOULDER, CO, US) - See all my reviews
As a professional photographer, I've used San Disk Compact Flash exclusively years. The 1, 2 and 4 GB San Disk have worked flawlessly for about 5 years with my Canon DSLRs. However, I am NOT pleased with the 8 GB (30MB/s) model. I purchased five for a recent European photo shoot. The 8 GB model consistently fail to record photos on my Canon 7D camera. Particularly when I shoot a burst of 5 to 6 images. None of the images are recorded and I have to remove and reinsert the card to start shooting again. I've corresponded with San Disk and Canon and no one admits to a problem. But there IS A BIG PROBLEM and the 8 MB model is not suitable for professional use, if you can't reshoot.

1.0 out of 5 stars ehhhhh, February 25, 2012
Sullivan06 (West Point, New York) - See all my reviews
As a photographer, I expect my gear to be reliable 100% of the time. 99% reliable is not acceptable. This card is not reliable 100% of the time.

Every so often, around every 1000 shots, the card gets an error and deletes the most recent photos taken (anywhere from 1-5 shots). I find this problem happens the most when using burst and then chimping right away (viewing the images). Not acceptable. I've lost, not many, but several good shots from this happening. In case anyone was wondering, my camera is a Canon 7D.

Dont buy this card.

5.0 out of 5 stars great chip, May 8, 2007
i shoot water pics in raw with a nikon d200. i have used this card over 25 times, about 200 gb added and deleted with no prblems. i am very happy with it. i might get a extreme 3 or 4 for quicker speed but this extreme 2 is excellent for quality and durability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Disk, August 30, 2008
Excellent memory card especially for the price. Have used this card numerous times in a Nikon D300. Almost purchased the Ultra III/IV but after reading reviews regarding the quality and speed non-issues, I purchased this one. With a camera such as the D200/D300 I see no need for a faster card. Have used SanDisk cards for years with never a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super fast Sandisk 8.0GB Card, August 22, 2007
Alan Watson "fitbrit" (Shenandoah Valley, VA) - See all my reviews
Purchased this to go with my new Sony A100 DSLR. Will hold 1950 (app) pictures at max JPEG size, only 280 (app) for RAW!! Card works real well and stores images just as fast as the camera will take them, almost no delay. No issues with the card reader or downloading to the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, May 12, 2007
I checked around for prices on this 8.0 card, it was twice as much at other stores.............. it was a great buy twa

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with Canon Rebel XTi, May 12, 2008
Very satisfied with the performance and reliability of the card. I get over 1700 pictures at high resolution jpg in my Canon Rebel XTi (10 MB). Going raw will fit about 800.

Highly recommended.