Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Sanderson being attacked by Trolls!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2011 8:03:37 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2011 6:56:45 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 11:20:30 PM PST
I just posted a review. My first on Amazon in fact. This book stinks! I wish I was trolling, but I'm actually a fan.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 11:55:00 PM PST
Dennis Torio says:
Mike, I don't see what you're talking about. None of the negative reviews I just read also had Goodkind reviews. In fact, I checked a couple of the 5 stars and they gave Goodkind 1 star rates for his books. If anything, the opposite is true. There's definitely something up with Sanderson fans and it's not looking good.

I just finished Alloy of Law tonight and it's a huge mixed bag. I'm really not thrilled with it. I get it's a side story with a more light approach, but that's just not what I've come to expect from a Mistborn book. I hope Memory of Light is a return to the expected style.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 8:51:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 9:56:45 AM PST
There are some other places to look:

http://www.amazon.com/Sanderson-obsessed-with-Terry-Goodkind/forum/Fx3X7P5LAHS7Z2/TxNRJ62L0WOZHQ
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2UOLKCLW8G9KV/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_1?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R2G6868BLCTEPE

Anyway. I haven't finished it yet (no time!), but it feels like a mix between the Alcatraz feel and the Mistborn world so far. Lighter and less... driven. I'll evaluate fully later, but I am already not expecting it to be Way of Kings.

:: Edit ::
Just finished. Fun book, and the Ars Arcanum was quite worth reading, for those who are already familiar with the other Cosmere books he has written. There are some... lazy?... characterizations (Wax's hangups, buddy-cop routines, lawman philosophy, etc). Not badly done, mind you, and would not be out of place in any procedural, but not what I expect from Sanderson. It's odd to see such mundane motivations in a Sanderson setting. I hope that this is a setup, was Mistborn, for standing those expectations on their heads in the next couple of books.

The rest was great fun. This is not Alcatraz at all, excepting a couple of puns. Not what I'd hand someone to start them out on Sanderson, but quite enjoyable nonetheless.
:: Edit ::

That's OK. Sanderson has said many times that he writes this kind of book (and indeed, this book!) as a change of pace to keep from getting worn out on any one style or world. He was writing Alcatraz books alongside the great WoT releases. Worlds apart. I wouldn't worry. He's hit the last two out of the park.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel
The Alloy of Law: A Mistborn Novel by Brandon Sanderson (Hardcover - November 8, 2011)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,109)