5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my MacBook Pro
Before buying this, I found that some of the other options (34-in-1 cards and so on) did have some issues with Mac OS X, people had to remove the card and reboot after being in sleep mode and boot without the card reader inserted in the expresscard slot. I didn't find any reviews on this card, but I took a chance and bought it anyway.

And it works nicely. I...
Published on January 14, 2008 by F. Stokkeland

3.0 out of 5 stars Not truthful enough
Amazon shipped the product rather fast. I popped it in my Dell Latitude E4300 and it works. Smooth sail so far.

But when I inserted the SD card, I realize what I didn't pay enough attention to the other reviews (and a small photo on Amazon's product page) about the SD card protruding out from the adapter. Whoever designed this adapter should do some serious...
Published on June 13, 2012 by Wei

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with my MacBook Pro, January 14, 2008
This review is from: Sandisk SDAD109A11 Digital Media Memory Card to Express Slot Adapter (Personal Computers)

And it works nicely. I have tried rebooting, putting the computer to sleep and waking it again all with the expresscard inserted. And it worked, had no trouble. And I did not have to install any driver or anything.
(My computer is a 1st generation Intel MacBook Pro with OSX 10.5. I have only tried it with SD and SDHC cards, but they worked well.)

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, July 9, 2008
n8gray (Pasadena, CA) - See all my reviews
Like the previous reviewer I have a MacBook Pro, though mine is one of the more recent LED-backlit models. I've only had the card reader for a day so far but it works well for reading my cards and my machine hasn't had any problems sleeping. It used to be that these expresscard readers were either expensive, didn't support SDHC, or had annoying quirks like preventing your Mac from sleeping. Thankfully we've now got a cheap reader that works perfectly!

I can think of one thing some folks might want to be aware of. The adapter itself fits flush into the expresscard slot with maybe 1mm sticking out, but when you insert an SD card it sticks out about a centimeter or more. This is just fine if you're using it to transfer files to/from a camera or other device, but you probably wouldn't want to use it as an always-attached storage device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best solution for MBP, October 8, 2008
Ive returned three other Express card readers and this is the only one ive found that reads SDHC and doesnt cause narcolepsy on MacBook Pros. I can put it in my MBP and just leave it there forever.

Falls just short of being perfect by not blending in with the aluminum design on the outward surface, but hey, nothing is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reads/writes SDXC cards, too!, July 26, 2013
K. P. Keber (America's Heartland) - See all my reviews
2010 Unibody MacBook Pro, 8 gigs RAM, 256 GB platter HD, OS X 10.6.x (Snow Leopard). Been using this adapter for a month or so.

The few specification links I could find on this product all mention cards up to only 32GB (SDHC). But I inserted a high-end Sony SDXC 64GB card (rated at 40MB/s transfer rate) and this Express Slot Adapter totally exceeded my expectations. I haven't tried one (LOL, I don't OWN one to be honest), but I see no reason why the 128 GB and 256 GB cards wouldn't work, too.

Seriously blazing data transfer speeds in and out of the Sony card. _Seriously_ fast.

Seated into the slot, the adapter fits flush with the computer's case, but the memory card itself sticks out ~1/2 inch when inserted. Could be a problem for some. If you can live with that, though: this thing rocks.

Next up, I have to get a USB 3.0 Express Card. I wish I had known about Express Card adapters a long time ago.

[UPDATE 08/22/2013]:

I just bought OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion from Apple's App Store. After reading the reviews online, I did not want to install it on my MBP's internal drive. So I decided to install it on a Class 10 16GB SDHC card inserted in the Express Card adapter. I used Disk Utility to format the SDHC card properly, then directed the OS X installer to use that card as a boot disk. Installation went smoothly. Took all of about 20 minutes. Restarted my Mac, booting into Mountain Lion off the 16GB card! This card in this adapter is *easily* fast enough to serve as a boot disk. And I see no reason that it couldn't serve as a boot disk for Ubuntu, Red Hat, any flavor of Windows or any other Mac OS. Quite frankly, it's like having a little SSD in my laptop. In fact, I think I'll buy a couple of other SDHC cards and install the other operating systems on them and I can take ALL of them with me on the go. Hope you all find this useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works out of the box., July 18, 2008
This product is great, and the shipping is very fast. I ordered it late at night on a Tuesday and received it the following Friday. My main concern was whether or not this would work with linux. I tested it with the memory card I use for the phone, and it works out of the box with Ubuntu 8.04.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one item I missed most on my MacBoob Pro, April 4, 2009
Apple chose to supply an Express Card slot instead of an SD reader in the MacBook Pro. Hard to fault them because the slot is much more useful than a card reader, but this is the one feature that I need on a daily basis. This solved that issue for me. Easy to use & no configuration. The only suggestion that I would have is that the card be redesigned so that the SD card fits entirely inside. Other vendors have done this and it allows you to leave the card in place when you put your laptop away. Not a big issue, because I store my SD cards securely after each use, but it would be handy. When inserted, the SD card sticks out about 1/2".

5.0 out of 5 stars Using with MacBook Pro 17" 2009 Model, July 20, 2009
Andrew Mitchell (Mannheim, Germany) - See all my reviews
I use this with my MacBook Pro 17" Unibody (2009 model) and it works seamlessly. It fits into the express slot as if the MacBook Pro was supposed to have it there (which it should have in the first place). I have had no problems with cards not being able to be read in it, so I rate this item top stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good device / Great alternative, September 10, 2011
This little San Disk adapter gives me the versatility I was missing by getting a MacBook Pro with an Express 34 slot. The price was insignificant compared the added flexibility of being able to use SD/XD cards and an Express 34 card for ESATA backups! Looks good / works good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, April 29, 2009
Wonderful addition to my MacBook pro, sits practically flush and remedies the need to dig around for my USB adapter when wanting to import photos and video. Transfer speeds are
Great as well. (sd/sdhc/Sony duo tested)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful convenience!, December 26, 2008
C. Welte ""CareForAPint"" (Charlottesville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great convenience! No more cables or adapters to carry around. I'm an amateur photographer and I used to have to carry extra equipment around in order to get my photos on my laptop. With this reader plugged into my MacBook Pro, I just pop out my SD card from my camera and plop in right into my Mac. Seconds later I'm back shooting with a clean card. I love not having to be concerned if I remembered to bring my card reader on site or if I left my card reader or cables somewhere.

Perfect and highly recommended!