Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 13, 1998
It's only a collection of short stories, and an overlooked one at that. You have to scrounge around used book stores to find a copy, but it is worth the trouble. The rest of the stories are okay, but the kicker is the title story. With a moving plot, plenty of action, and irony that has made me read it again and again, it's the best 60 page story I've read. Sandkings tells of one man whose intrest in savage and ruthless pets goes too far when he purchases the quasi-psionic haveminds that are sandkings. Sandkings are insect like creatures with a combined mind nearly as intelligent as a human's. They war, make alliances, call truces, and worship their owner. Despite the warnings to the contrary from the merchant, the main character artificially sets up war by starving the sandkings, and in doing so twists them to hatred against him.
on November 29, 2001
This book is probably one of my favorites of all time. Although dark it is not without heart and is full of what i found to be absolutely wonderous places and filled with interesting people. These are stories about people who, for the most part, are not heroes but simply people who are trying to make it in a world filled with wonder and darkness. Mr. Martins imagination is wonderful to me and his stories fill me with an intense appreciation for his ancient wonders and future visions of incredible color. It is a bit of a minefield though and people who are not quite careful may fall into the philosophical traps present in it and become just as troubled as many of the characters are. I hope that it is reprinted in the wake of his recent success and if you are reading this Mr. Martin, as I have told you before, you have brought great love to my life and I thank you deeply for it!
on November 29, 2001
on May 29, 2015
Love it. I read this story in Omni magazine sometime around 1980 and it stayed with me ever since. I was intrigued to find that it was now a graphic novel so bought it, sight unseen and I must say that it does not disappoint.
on October 26, 2007
Fans of George R. R. Martin's current fantasy bestsellers almost universally say that the highlight in his writing is the characters. Martin does craft some of the most captivating and complex characters in genre fiction, but equally important is his skill for gripping plots. He constantly raises the tension and stakes for his protagonists with shocking but completely plausible escalations on nearly every page. This breakneck plotting was just as finely honed almost thirty years ago in the Hugo and Nebula award-winning the novella Sandkings. Along with fascinating science-fictional zoology and a captivating unsympathetic protagonist who keeps digging himself deeper into jeopardy, the tense plot makes Sandkings still as gripping a read today as it was thirty years ago.
on January 27, 1999
While this book is often recommended for the excellent and entertaining title story its other stories are largely overlooked. "In the House of the Worm" is a spooky, spine tingling portrait of a world in decay. Its this story that I re-read whenever I think of the book.
on August 19, 2002
Probly George's best collection of short stories. 4 stories here are flat-out brilliant: the award-winning "Sandkings" & "Way of Cross and Dragon," the gorgeous "The Stone City" (which has everything U could ever want from a Martin story Xcept 4 a real Nding), & the overlooked "In the House of the Worm" (a sequel of sorts to George's earlier "Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels") which is well worth its 60+ pages. The other 3 stories R merely average. But the 4 great 1s R some of George's best work ever.
on July 8, 2001
I have just finished the story Sandkings in an electronic format on my PDA and let me tell you this: the story is awesome!
Try it and I am sure you will not regret the 60 minutes spent.
on October 26, 2006
This story is too simple. I didn't see that I want to see.

In a word, a man grows sandkings but maltreat them. And the end he came home to roost.

Disappointingly!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2010
Martin needs to get back to what he's good at and finish the series that made him famous (at least the first two books were terrific).

Sure feels like he's losing touch with his fan-base. We really don't need comics, calendars, and figurines!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse