5.0 out of 5 stars Tamora Pierce will not let you down
Published on October 15, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly what I expected...
I have read all of Ms. Pierce's books, including the Circle of Magic and the Cirle opens. I read these after Alanna and the Immortals and they were kind of disapointing. These books are very well written and the writing isn't complicated, but I don't think they were quite up to Alanna and The Immortals' standards.
Published on August 21, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamora Pierce will not let you down, October 15, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, Book 1) (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, I have to admit it. At first I was reluctant to read this book. Actually that's putting it mildly. I did NOT want to read this book what so ever. And that's not because Tamora Pierce is a bad author. (Oh my gosh, NO! She is my favorite.) But her Tortall books had been so good I was afraid I would miss the other characters. (I obviously have some unresolved emotional problems somewhere) Anyway I decided to wait for "First Test" to come out. Then I realized I was too broke(or cheap) to buy it in hardcover and to make a long story short I broke down and bought the first two "Circle of Magic" books in the series. And I loved them. I especially love the characters. The whole story is about these four kids, who are very diverse and unique. They are found by this mage named Niko who brings them together at this really cool place called Winding Circle Temple The four kids don't fit in with the other children so they have to live in a cottage called Discipline which is how they are all brought together to form the "magic circle". Each kid has a special magical talent, (metalcraft, weaving, plants, and weather) and in the end they have to combined their powers to save their lives. Maybe the thing that appealed to me the most was how they all had to live together, (I'm a Real World fanatic, heh heh heh.) but the story is just very very interesting and moving and I really really love it. It's right up there with the Alanna and Daine Quartets, so RELUCTANT TORTALL LOVERS LISTEN TO ME: PLEASE GIVE THIS BOOK A CHANCE-READ A SENTENCE OR TWO JUST FOR ME, YOU'LL LOVE IT

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandry's Book, September 13, 2003
Amanda (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
The Circle Opens Quartet is yet another successful series written by Tamora Pierce. However, this is not the normal heroine Tortall-set story that fans have learned to love. In this book, Tamora Pierce changes the setting of her story and instead of writing about one main character, there are four, one of them being a boy. This story was written for a younger audience, however this does not lessen Pierce's imaginative and colourful stories. The presence of a masculine character, Briar, as one of the most important ones in the story, is quite different compared to Tamora's previous series, and I welcomed this change.
Sandry's Book, being the first book in the Circle Opens, is basically an introduction to all four of the characters: Sandry, Tris, Daja and Briar. All of these children are either orphaned or have relatives that do not wish to have them. Since they all come from different social classes and they all have different beliefs, their meeting is an awkward one, but since they were chosen to live in the same house, they must learn to at least respect each other. While they are staying at the Winding Circle Temple, they each discover that they have their own magical gifts: Sandry is gifted in working thread, Tris in changing the weather, Daja in working different types of metal, and Briar in taking care of plants. Since they were not born in an environment that was able to favour these magical gifts, they must now learn how to understand and control them.
I recommend this story to any Tamora Pierce fan, however those who are older than twelve-years-old might not enjoy this series as much as her previous ones, especially if they are avid readers. However, even though this book is destined to pre-teenagers, what the book lacks of in maturity and complexity is gained in the discovery of a whole new world. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars If only I had picked this up a few years ago, February 18, 2002
For some strange reason, in all the years I've been reading fantasy, I haven't picked up many Tamora Pierce books. Now it's not that I dislike them, I find them to be quite interesting, but I never really got into them. Now I'm 16 and probably a bit too old to be getting into these books but I still love them. Sandry's book is the first book in a fantasy quartet about four young adults with special gifts. The first book introduces us to the four main charecters: Sandry, the bright and friendly noble girl who has a strange gift for weaveing, Daja, a headstrong Trader who is considered cursed by her people, Triss, a stubborn young girl who's power over the weather mystifies even herself, and Briar, a street smart theif who has a strange gift with plant life. These four children live dark lives until they are brought to a temple by Master Niko. Here they learn about magic hidden deep inside of them and begin to learn how to control it. But if the four strong-willed young people cannot bind together they may find themselves in terrible peril.
I found this book to be magical, entertaining, and exciting. THe only complaint I had with it is how the charecters were first found by Niko and that's more something that irks me than anything. I wish I could have picked this up a few years ago, I may have enjoyed it even more. I will definatly pick up the final three books in this series. I can't wait to see what happens to these four appealing charecters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Circle of Magic Sandry's Book, February 14, 2005
Circle of Magic Sandry's Book

By: Tamora Pierce

Four friends with magical powers over weather and water, wind, earth, and fire are brought to Winding Tower's school. Tremors have been happening all summer. Then an earthquake was to hit Water Tower's school, sister school of Winding Tower. When the earthquake hit Water Tower's school the mages, people with the power of an element, tried to stop it but just made it stronger. Now the earthquake is heading straight for Winding Tower. When the quake hits most of the school's children are trapped including the four friends. Will they live? Will someone find them?

I liked the amount of description the author put into this book. I like the intensity of this book. I love the conflict that the author uses in this book. I love how the author keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next.

This book made me realize that you can find friends in different places. This book made me think that you should not judge people before you know them.

I would recommend this book to anyone that needs to read a great adventure story. I would recommend this to children in the 4th grade to children in the 9th grade. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to read a series of books.

Sincerely,

Kid Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, not half bad! Colorful and creative, January 8, 2005
A Kid's Review
If you like Tamora Pierce, you'll LOVE this new Circle of Magic series!!! I was pleasently surprised. I'd only read one Tamora Pierce book before and thought it was a very good book, but not the best of them all. I thought that this one would be the same way. Well, I was wrong. This book is creative and original, with characters you can't help but fall in love with (the brave and generous Sandry, my favorite character; the bold and quiet Daja; the rebellios and sharp-tounged Triss; the troublesome and pleasently roudy Briar Moss, the street-boy who's probably my second-favorite character). These four, under strange circumstances, meet up and discover that they have strange magical powers. And what are they to do with them now that they know they're there? A question they have to answer.

This book at a great ending and flowed beautifully. If you're into magic, adventure, and a wild assortment of characters with well-defined personalities, pick up a copy today!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandry's Book, October 2, 2003
Sandry's Book is the first book in Tamora Pierce's The Circle of Magic series. This book introduces the four main characters of the series: Sandry, who has thread magic, Tris, who has weather magic, Daja, who has metal magic, and Briar, who has plant magic. These four young mages are new to their powers and never knew they existed. When they first meet, they don't get along. But after a while they learn to live with each other. As they learn the basic skills of magic, they also learn more about how to use and controll their powers. Their particularly rare knids of magic are strong, but it is stronger when they are together. When an earthquake threatens their lives, they bind thier magics and learn to work together.

5.0 out of 5 stars READ ME!!!!!!!!!!!! a wonderful book that really snatches you, February 19, 2006
A Kid's Review
My mom and dad got me this book for Christmas and I had to put on that phony smile and say "Thanks, I cant wait to read it" when my mind was sayin "great! another lame book for me to pretend to read!" but was i wrong about that........

If you like

.suspensful stories

.magic

.adventorous (please excuse me spelling) times

.betrayal

.and pure fun

then this would be a good book for you

as you can probably tell this is a fiction book soooo fiction luvers out there.....i recomend this!!!!

=) not =P

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Listen To Them, It Was Great!, August 27, 2006
I don't think anyone is complaining about the beginning, where the mage Niko finds the four children and brings them to Winding Circle. And I don't think anyone has a problem with the ending, where the four come together and the action is as hard and fast as it gets.

The only problem people seem to have is in the middle. Personally, I had absolutely no problem with it. It was slower, but it was more like an introduction to a new world, rather than filler. Winding Circle is a facinating place. Just what happens in and around it is interesting. But Pierce didn't just rely on that, the characters themselves helped. And there were definitely personalities. With four main characters, there needs to be some distinction between them and aside from the convenient color coding of their powers, they all are very different people.

Sandry is the proud and confident upperclass girl who is still obviously touched by the loss of her parents. At the same time, it's made her try that much harder to be as kind and friendly and keep those relationships close.

Tris is the short-tempered book worm who's desperate to be liked, but terrified of rejection. Despite her harsh words, she's got a good heart and looks for subtle ways to make it up to those she hurts.

Daja is strong and independent, but deeply hurt by her outcast status. Superstitious and semi-religious, her belief in her gods sharply contrast her otherwise grounded nature.

Briar is my personal favorite, a former thief, proud and untrusting, who is forced into a crazy world where he's expected to do chores, bathe regularly, and room with three girls and two women. But through it all, the lure of food and plants gets him to stay, then accept, then love his new home and the people he lives with.

It's a delightful story where you get to watch four people become as close as four people can be. Even if the books are separated by the names of the characters, it's about all of them and their lives intertwined. Romance between two people is all very good, but there's something to be said about the beauty of friendship and it really doesn't get any better than this book.

More than any of the others in this quartet, Sandry's book is about the developing relationships between the four housemates and, ok, their developing magic.

Read this book, it'll take you at most two hours and when you're done, you have three more from this series, and five more after, all about the Circle of Magic. You won't be sorry.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great way to pass the time on a long car ride!, May 3, 2004
Forgive me if I spell names incorrectly. I listened to the unabridged audio version of this story.
The book centers around four young outcasts named Daja (a Trader), Briar (a street thief), Sandry (a noble) & Tris (a commoner). All, for one reason or another, are basically on their own and have experienced far too much pain and disappointment in their young lives. They're unwanted, unloved, and unable to fit in. A mysterious man named "Niko" discovers and delivers each of them to a place called "Winding Circle Temple" where, once again, none of them are quite able to fit in with the other residents. They are eventually separated from the other (bratty and snooty, if you ask me) kids living at Winding Circle and are sent off to "Discipline", a cabin where they're pretty much isolated from the other residents at Winding Circle.
While at "Discipline" each discovers a previously untapped talent for magic. They spend their days learning to develop their own particular talents and becoming an unlikely group of close-knit friends. Eventually their bond and talents are put to the test as they must use their newly developed powers of meditation and concentration to face a natural disaster.
Pierce brings her world alive with vivid imagery and well described settings and the story moves along at brisk clip but I would have enjoyed it more had it been just a mite longer. Though the book is titled "Sandry's Book" it was as much about Briar, Tris and Daja as it was about Sandry. Though all of these characters come to life in this production the focus switches all too often between them (and not always smoothly) and their individual stories are spread a bit too thin for my liking (I was also confused at times as to which child was currently speaking which didn't help matters). Tamora Pierce serves as the narrator for the piece along with a full cast of actors supporting her. Pierce's narration comes across as a bit bland and monotonous when compared with the vivacious children but despite it all I found myself anxious to hear how it all turned out.
The story has humor, the kids are survivors both wise and emotional and I'm anxious to check out the other books in the series to learn more about prickly, guarded Tris, kind-hearted Sandry, plucky Briar and Daja (I can't wait to see where her interesting version of magic leads).

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! Fantasy Lover's Must-read!, April 26, 2003
A Kid's Review
I've read almost all of Tamora Pierce's books, including the series after this one (The Circle Opens), and I think they're all great. I've read other reviews for this book and couldn't see how people could be disappointed in it."Sandry's Book" has fairly well-developed characters, a great plot (granted, it is somewhat predictable), and I enjoyed watching how it all came together. It is a little hard to follow at first, but once you start reading, you won't be able to put it down. My only complaint is about the title. It is the beginning of a series, and all the characters play major roles. The thing that definetly interests me most about this book is that it has different concepts of magic than I've mostly ever read in fantasy books. In these books, magic is not only accepted but prized as a talent of great importance. Magic is wide-spread and in demand. In books like Harry Potter(J. K. Rowling) or books by Donna Jo Napoli(Sirena, etc.), the magic-doers have to hide from the rest of the world for fear of being hated, hunted, or killed. Our library had a book discussion about this book and it was the only unanimous vote we've ever had. People loved this book, although maybe not the guys as much. But I definetly reccomend this book to anyone looking for a good read!

Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, Book 1)
Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic, Book 1) by Tamora Pierce (Mass Market Paperback - September 1, 1999)
$7.99