4.0 out of 5 stars Purchase this for the weather radio
If you purchase the Sangean Weather radio, go ahead and purchase this external antenna as it does boost the FM and Weather reception. The magnet is powerful, but I would have liked some mounting supplies for non-vehicle mounting.
Published on July 4, 2012 by Van OR

Published on November 8, 2011 by A. M. White

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Sangean ANT-100: a must have for fringe reception of NOAA WX radio, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
I've been a ham radio op for over 20 years, so I take my radio seriously. We live in a ravine in rural Western New England, and have always had trouble picking up NOAA weather radio. After dealing with the March 8, 2011 hyper-rain event in which we almost lost our house to a brook flooding event, I picked up the Sangean CL-100 radio with NOAA SAME. The CL-100 has great sensitivity and pulled in the signal, but it was full of band noise. So I ordered the matching ANT-100 external antenna, hooked it up, and it was a home run.

Update, May 18, 2012:
The antenna has been in use since last year - merely sitting on the cabinet next to the CL-100 radio, inside of the house. I picked it up to dust yesterday and the co-ax cable fell out of the base! No way to fix it as the base is sealed. I'm past my Amazon return period, and cannot find a contact at Sangean, yet, to get a warranty replacement on it. Very disappointing, as the radio requires a RCA connector for the antenna. I guess I'll have to make a simple long wire antenna to replace it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Made!!!, January 7, 2012
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
It works but is very cheaply made, wire fell out after taking out of box. It looked as though it was just glued into the housing. I fixed the wire and it works, but should not have had to fix wire. BEWARE!!!!

Update, 12-11-12
Still working, my fix with the wire coming out of magnetic base has worked for almost a year now, I pryed open the magnet and plastic case, cracked case a little but silicone sealed it up. soldered wire back onto connection inside plastic housing and sealed it with silicone caulk inside all around wire to hold it in place then sealed crack i made by opening housing. Has been mounted outside since i got it. Everything is still working and pulls in signal very well for weather radio.

3.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Product - Sangean has really failed here - Edited on 08/12/13, July 20, 2013
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
There were several reviews of this product that stated that the wire on this item frequently separates from the base, which renders the unit completely worthless. I purchased the item anyway, partly because of the Sangean brand name, and partly because I believed that if this was a known issue with the item they surely would have fixed it.

I can tell you that the numerous reviews out there that claim that the cord separates from the base are accurate. When my ANT-100 arrived it appeared undamaged and new. Upon taking it out of the package there was a white substance on the antenna base where the wire meets the antenna itself. I assumed that Sangean had added some sort of glue here or had somehow attempted to reinforce the item due to the issues of the wire coming loose frequently.

We purchased the ANT-100 in mid-June. The antenna was not immediately used, as I was getting ready to change offices. In mid-July I moved into a new office and took my new Sangean radio and the ANT-100 to the office to use it. As I was plugging in the antenna the cord literally just fell out, with no tugging or pulling occurring. It just fell out on its own as I was plugging it into the radio.

The next day I went onto Amazon to try to return the ANT-100 but I was two days past the 30 day return window for this item. I still intend to try to return the item for a partial refund, but it is important for others out there to know that this is a poorly designed item, and it WILL FAIL. The workmanship of this item is incredibly poor, and Sangean has apparently done nothing to fix the known issue of the cord separating from the base on this item.

There are some of you who will read this and still consider buying the ANT-100, just as I did. It will be a mistake and you will be frustrated. You should reconsider. Sangean needs to take this item off the market and fix the design flaw and shoddy production quality. Amazon should review this item and consider no longer selling it.

************Amended on 08/12/13

Although I was unable to return the item through Amazon, I did contact Sangean and they sent out a new antenna. I spoke to an employee there who did admit that they have had issues with this item, and he sent me a replacement without asking me to send him the old, defective item.

I have to admit that Sangean took care of the issue, and their representative was very professional in his dealings with me. It is hard to complain about that. If you are gooing to do business with a company, you want it to be a company like Sangean that will take care of customer issues. As a result of them taking care of the issue, I am giving them three stars instead of one star I originally rated them.

I still would advise caution in buying this item. It is not constructed well, and is not consistent with the type of quality that you should expect from Sangean. I recommend Sangean radios highly. I do not necessarily recommend this item. If you buy this item, inspect it throughly and handle any returns promptly. I would recommend that you reinforce the area where the cord goes into the base with some sort of epoxy or glue just to add some added strength. And don't be surprised if the item fails in that area dspite your efforts to reinforce it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Little difference with reception & wire breaks off at antenna base easily., January 24, 2012
M.G. Massachusetts (New Bedford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
I purchased this Sangean antenna to try to help increase the reception of my Sangean CL-100 AM/FM/Weather Band radio. This antenna did not seem to make any difference in reception as compared to the collapsible tube antenna that the CL-100 is built with. Also, as other reviewers have wrote, the wire easily pulls right out of the antenna base. It appears that this connection is permanent and that the wire should not separate at this location. I pushed the wire back in the antenna and it kept coming out. I did not bother to return it but placed the item where it belongs, in the trash.

2.0 out of 5 stars why me, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
i am glad i purchased 2 due to the problem with the first one. so the other one if working for now;
the connector came right out of the magnet mount

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T DO IT !!!!!, April 16, 2014
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
I currently own TWO Sangean CL-100 Table-Top Weather Hazard Alert with AM/FM-RBDS Alarm Clock Radios. I live in Houston and the weather gets pretty bad. That being said, I'm about 30 miles away from the NOAA broadcasting station in Galveston, and the land is quite flat. The signal I was receiving was somewhat weak without an antenna so I purchased THREE of these. The second I plugged one in, I had absolutely NO SIGNAL. I then plugged it into my second radio, and again, NO SIGNAL. I tried all three antennas on both radios, and again, NO SIGNAL. Placement was irrelevant as I moved them to the highest floor, different rooms, took them outside, and regardless of the orientation of radios with these alleged "antennas," NO SIGNAL.

In my opinion, these antennas are literally worthless. If it were possible to give this antenna negative stars in the rating, I would.

Do NOT waste your money on this stick-on-a-cord. As a matter of fact, stop looking at these completely.

THEY DO NOT WORK - AND REMEMBER, I TESTED THREE OF THEM ON TWO DIFFERENT RADIOS.

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchase this for the weather radio, July 4, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk will be returning, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
Wire came out of the base. This thing is not well made. I will be returning this and looking for something different

5.0 out of 5 stars NOAA Radio Antenna, April 14, 2012
John Manning (BLOOMINGTON, IN, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
Extremely pleased with the purchase - it was delivered on time as anticipated. This product allows me to acquire a stronger signal, which is required, given my location.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorter than expected but great for the cubicle, June 13, 2014
This review is from: Sangean ANT-100 External Antenna (Electronics)
While reading some of the reviews previously posted, I was a little hesitant. But then I realized most of those reviews are almost two years old, so I figured for as cheap as it is, maybe the manufacturing had gotten better in that time frame.
I am pleased to say that as of this moment, no cables have come unattached and the antenna has improved the signal quality for my Capello Weather Alert Clock Radio. I don't listen to AM, but the FM and weather bands are much clearer than when I was trying to use the small built in antenna.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›