Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on November 8, 2011
I've been a ham radio op for over 20 years, so I take my radio seriously. We live in a ravine in rural Western New England, and have always had trouble picking up NOAA weather radio. After dealing with the March 8, 2011 hyper-rain event in which we almost lost our house to a brook flooding event, I picked up the Sangean CL-100 radio with NOAA SAME. The CL-100 has great sensitivity and pulled in the signal, but it was full of band noise. So I ordered the matching ANT-100 external antenna, hooked it up, and it was a home run.

Update, May 18, 2012:
The antenna has been in use since last year - merely sitting on the cabinet next to the CL-100 radio, inside of the house. I picked it up to dust yesterday and the co-ax cable fell out of the base! No way to fix it as the base is sealed. I'm past my Amazon return period, and cannot find a contact at Sangean, yet, to get a warranty replacement on it. Very disappointing, as the radio requires a RCA connector for the antenna. I guess I'll have to make a simple long wire antenna to replace it.
1111 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 20, 2013
There were several reviews of this product that stated that the wire on this item frequently separates from the base, which renders the unit completely worthless. I purchased the item anyway, partly because of the Sangean brand name, and partly because I believed that if this was a known issue with the item they surely would have fixed it.

I can tell you that the numerous reviews out there that claim that the cord separates from the base are accurate. When my ANT-100 arrived it appeared undamaged and new. Upon taking it out of the package there was a white substance on the antenna base where the wire meets the antenna itself. I assumed that Sangean had added some sort of glue here or had somehow attempted to reinforce the item due to the issues of the wire coming loose frequently.

We purchased the ANT-100 in mid-June. The antenna was not immediately used, as I was getting ready to change offices. In mid-July I moved into a new office and took my new Sangean radio and the ANT-100 to the office to use it. As I was plugging in the antenna the cord literally just fell out, with no tugging or pulling occurring. It just fell out on its own as I was plugging it into the radio.

The next day I went onto Amazon to try to return the ANT-100 but I was two days past the 30 day return window for this item. I still intend to try to return the item for a partial refund, but it is important for others out there to know that this is a poorly designed item, and it WILL FAIL. The workmanship of this item is incredibly poor, and Sangean has apparently done nothing to fix the known issue of the cord separating from the base on this item.

There are some of you who will read this and still consider buying the ANT-100, just as I did. It will be a mistake and you will be frustrated. You should reconsider. Sangean needs to take this item off the market and fix the design flaw and shoddy production quality. Amazon should review this item and consider no longer selling it.

************Amended on 08/12/13

Although I was unable to return the item through Amazon, I did contact Sangean and they sent out a new antenna. I spoke to an employee there who did admit that they have had issues with this item, and he sent me a replacement without asking me to send him the old, defective item.

I have to admit that Sangean took care of the issue, and their representative was very professional in his dealings with me. It is hard to complain about that. If you are gooing to do business with a company, you want it to be a company like Sangean that will take care of customer issues. As a result of them taking care of the issue, I am giving them three stars instead of one star I originally rated them.

I still would advise caution in buying this item. It is not constructed well, and is not consistent with the type of quality that you should expect from Sangean. I recommend Sangean radios highly. I do not necessarily recommend this item. If you buy this item, inspect it throughly and handle any returns promptly. I would recommend that you reinforce the area where the cord goes into the base with some sort of epoxy or glue just to add some added strength. And don't be surprised if the item fails in that area dspite your efforts to reinforce it.
on April 16, 2014
I currently own TWO Sangean CL-100 Table-Top Weather Hazard Alert with AM/FM-RBDS Alarm Clock Radios. I live in Houston and the weather gets pretty bad. That being said, I'm about 30 miles away from the NOAA broadcasting station in Galveston, and the land is quite flat. The signal I was receiving was somewhat weak without an antenna so I purchased THREE of these. The second I plugged one in, I had absolutely NO SIGNAL. I then plugged it into my second radio, and again, NO SIGNAL. I tried all three antennas on both radios, and again, NO SIGNAL. Placement was irrelevant as I moved them to the highest floor, different rooms, took them outside, and regardless of the orientation of radios with these alleged "antennas," NO SIGNAL.

In my opinion, these antennas are literally worthless. If it were possible to give this antenna negative stars in the rating, I would.

Do NOT waste your money on this stick-on-a-cord. As a matter of fact, stop looking at these completely.

THEY DO NOT WORK - AND REMEMBER, I TESTED THREE OF THEM ON TWO DIFFERENT RADIOS.
on January 7, 2012
It works but is very cheaply made, wire fell out after taking out of box. It looked as though it was just glued into the housing. I fixed the wire and it works, but should not have had to fix wire. BEWARE!!!!

Update, 12-11-12
Still working, my fix with the wire coming out of magnetic base has worked for almost a year now, I pryed open the magnet and plastic case, cracked case a little but silicone sealed it up. soldered wire back onto connection inside plastic housing and sealed it with silicone caulk inside all around wire to hold it in place then sealed crack i made by opening housing. Has been mounted outside since i got it. Everything is still working and pulls in signal very well for weather radio.
on January 24, 2012
I purchased this Sangean antenna to try to help increase the reception of my Sangean CL-100 AM/FM/Weather Band radio. This antenna did not seem to make any difference in reception as compared to the collapsible tube antenna that the CL-100 is built with. Also, as other reviewers have wrote, the wire easily pulls right out of the antenna base. It appears that this connection is permanent and that the wire should not separate at this location. I pushed the wire back in the antenna and it kept coming out. I did not bother to return it but placed the item where it belongs, in the trash.
on April 7, 2012
i am glad i purchased 2 due to the problem with the first one. so the other one if working for now;
the connector came right out of the magnet mount
on August 2, 2015
A great alternative to the poorly-built Sangean ANT-100 is the following: August DTA207 Digital TV Antenna AND the Monoprice 104130 RCA male to F female adapter. (Both items are available on Amazon.) While the August is a tv antenna, it also covers the weather band frequency. You need the adapter to connect the antenna to the RCA jack on the back of the radio.

I tried it out with my Motorola MWR839 weather radio (a clone of the Sangean CL-100). It works slightly better than the built-in antenna. So if you can't place the radio where it would best receive the signal, the August DTA207 may do the trick. I had no problems getting the NOAA weather station from Newport, Oregon, from 20 miles away. The August seems built well enough that it will not easily fall apart (unlike the Sangean ANT-100). I never bought a Sangean ANT-100 because of all the bad reviews on Amazon. Why buy a piece of junk when something better is available?

People rely on these radios for safety. It is very important to have a good antenna.
on May 29, 2014
This antenna was a big disappointment. when I ordered it I thought it was full size. I was beyound shocked when I recieved it and it was about six inches. I purchased it for a full sized dump truck. I'll have to use it on my kids play tonka truck.
on July 4, 2012
If you purchase the Sangean Weather radio, go ahead and purchase this external antenna as it does boost the FM and Weather reception. The magnet is powerful, but I would have liked some mounting supplies for non-vehicle mounting.
on April 28, 2014
Like other folks, I bought this to go with my Sangean CL-100 radio. It made a world of difference between terrible static and crisp, clear reception. But, like most purchasers, found the cable simply fell out of the base with zero effort.

Repairing the antenna is easy if you're handy with small tools and soldering. I was able to insert an angled tool into the hole where the cable was and pop the magnet out of the base with hardly any effort (it was glued, but it broke away cleanly and without any damage). Inside is a softer glue (apparently added to address this problem), and after picking the glue out, the solder joint is exposed. I stripped the coaxial cable and re-soldered it, then made a loop inside to prevent it from breaking off again. The magnet snapped back into the base easily, and all is well again.

It's too bad this is made so cheaply -- it seems like it wouldn't increase production costs much to just do it right the first time. So, if you're on the fence about getting this, go ahead and get one if you feel comfortable repairing it later -- it's mostly worth the trouble.