5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a variety of types of audio recording.
Published on April 14, 2011 by D. Martens

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Charge Mode
Published on May 9, 2012 by PSteelMan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a variety of types of audio recording., April 14, 2011
This review is from: Sangean DAR-101 Desk Top MP3 Recorder (Black) (Office Product)
Pro - I was looking for something that would do more than just record audio through internal mic's. I need to input external mic's and to have an Aux-in to record from other sources. This model fit the bill perfectly. It even has a record timer and play timer, which I use to record a radio program in the middle of the night so I can listen to it during the day. It takes SD memory on which it can record and from which it can play. It has a USB port from which it can play, but doesn't seem to be able to record to it (see Cons below). For inputs it has two mic jacks (left and right) and a stereo aux jack.

Con - The only complaint that I have is that I can't record onto a jump drive through the USB port. It only plays to it, as far as I have been able to tell. However, recording to the SD card works just fine for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sangean Digital Voice Recorder DAR-101, July 25, 2011
The product does exactly what is says it does. It's clear in sound and has no extra noise that one would get from using a analog tape. The files are numbered by date, so you know which day it is. I do recommend after a couple days to drag all the files to a computer and start over with the memory card, so it doesn't run out of room. However a very large or lengthy recording still doesn't seem to take up too much room.

I recommend this product, especially for business purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Versatile recorder, but poor user manual, November 10, 2012
The good:
1. Workmanship and "feel" is good. No misalignments, rough edges, etc.
2. Selection of inputs (line in, microphone internal or ext, phone) and outputs (line, digital) makes it versatile--it's not a toy.
3. User interface is good (not great). Separate file folders for different operating modes.
4. You can monitor your recording source (or playback) with the built in speaker.
5. Recording balance and volume are adjustable.
6. Recording quality (mp3) is selectable.
7. Phone attachment cable is included (to modular jack), and it starts recording automatically when you pick up the phone.
8. Recharges NiMH batteries.

Not so good:
1. REASON IT ONLY GOT 4 STARS: User manual is very sketchy.
Example: Memo button is shown, but the manual has nothing about how to use this feature. There are good tips on Amazon reviews, but don't expect anything from the Sangean website. Play with it and you'll figure it out!
2. Memory card is not included--get one!!
3. USB port appears to be playback only (couldn't find any references to connection to a PC).
4. To transfer the recordings, you need to pop out the memory card.
5. When checking properties of some mp3 files, information didn't seem right (playing time, etc.).

Tips:
1. It has a nifty timer recording feature. Find it in the menu, and disable as you learn to operate this unit.
The default was "on", and the first night it starting recording at midnight and was recording the following morning!
2. Get rechargeable (NiMh) batteries, then you won't have to worry about the switch setting inside the battery compartment.
If the charge light goes on, you've got it right.
3. If you have a USB flash drive with audio files plugged in, you may have to press the INPUT button to get the unit to "see" the USB device.
4. Keep the audio level below maximum (red LED on knob will flash if peaked).
5. Step through the menus, etc. a couple of times and you will see how flexible this unit is. Minor issue: you have to select files one at a time if you want to delete them. If you want to delete many files, pop the mem card and do it on your PC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Charge Mode, May 9, 2012
I received the recorder and installed four new AA NiMH 3000mAH batteries that were previously fully charged. The battery selector was found to be in the Alkaline position and I moved it the NiCad/NiMH position before installing the batteries. The batteries install over the tiny switch so if the switch must be moved, it must be moved to the correct position before any batteries are installed. The unit turns ON and appears to be functional in that I was able to set the date and time. It correctly sensed the installation of a 32GB Sandisk card. The instruction manual indicates that battery charging only takes place when the AC adaptor is connected and the recorder is OFF. This is where I found this unit to be defective. The display flashes a battery symbol, a blank screen, and produces a clicking sound approximately every second. In addition, both the peak and record LED's flash in synchronism with the clicking sound. I called Sanjean and spoke with a technician. He told me that the battery symbol must remain displayed with bars that show the charging process and that this unit is defective. I called Amazon and a replacement unit will be shipped. It seems that others have received defective Sanjean units. I previously received a defective Sanjean radio that was replaced without any protest. However, it may be useful that Sanjean improves their quality control and inspection processes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, January 17, 2011
A fabulous and VERY versatile machine. The perfect replacement for a portable stereo cassette recorder. It's just what I've been looking for since the demise of cassettes.
It is so good, I bought two!

4.0 out of 5 stars My phone recorder, May 21, 2011
This is a good unit and looks like it will last, although there is a few thing that could be improved on. first of all it does not come with a data storage chip and without it you can't even use it. second although you can hear the other party when recording a phone call the sound is a little muffled (not to bad but noticeable). Also there is no caller id build into the unit so you don't have a number assonated with the recording. Lastly it would be nice if there was some sort of built in filling system that would store recordings assonated with their phone number.

Having said that it is a great unit and after looking around i don't think you will find something like this at a better price. I'm glad i bought it and would recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, not so good QA, September 26, 2012
I bought this unit a few days ago and it works very well.. It has all the features you want in a stereo recorder. The menu system is easy to navigate and it is easy to use. The built in microphones are very sensitive and picks up sounds very well. There is an issue with formatting SD cards so don't do it. For this unit to work correctly, any card to be used 2 Gigs or smaller should be formatted using FAT on your computer before using in this unit. Any card > 2 gigs should be formatted FAT32, again, on your computer. I have not used the telephone recording feature so I can't comment on it. The compression is very clean at 192kb/s and the built in speaker is awesome for the size. I can't hear a difference from the original when played back on a high quality stereo system when recorded at 192kb/s.

I don't know why others reported issues with the SD card not reading after being inserted while the unit is on. It works just fine.. It detects the card being removed and inserted without fail. It also will charge the batteries while the unit is on, recording, playing, etc.. I am using NiMH batteries and I set the battery type switch in the battery compartment to "Rechargeable". I tested the battery life for 3 hours, it dropped 1 bar (of 3) while mostly recording.

I'm one of the unfortunate ones who received one of the units that slipped past QC and the display was not working correctly. If I change the display angle, it will stop updating the display. Amazon is very good with their replacement policy and they are shipping me another one in exchange. (They pick up the defective unit while they are shipping the new one, at NO cost to me.) I can't wait to get the new unit. This is one of the unfortunate things that happen with electronics, it happens and why I mostly shop with Amazon.. 5 stars to Amazon too..

Update: The replacement recorder arrived next day and it also had problems.. This time, the battery indicator would not detect when it was running on battery so it always either indicated it was on charge (while no power was connected to the unit) or it was on power (even if no power was connected to the unit and the batteries were fully charged). I was OK with that until I discovered two other issues.. 1> The recorder will periodically Skip when recording.. I say skip because it is like a CD skipping. A fraction of a second would be missing from the recording. 2> There is noise in the background when it plays back an MP3 file that doesn't have any noise when played on a computer. While I did have #1 with the first recorder, #2 was not noticed. I read online about formatting the SD card properly to prevent any skipping during recording. Since, I have tried 2 SD cards previously used to capture 1080P video (so I know they are fast enough) and properly formatted each to get the same result.. It is not reliable enough to record a 4 minute audio session without losing some of the audio. I am returning this item and buying a more expensive recorder.. It was promising and I wish it would have worked.. QA is worse than I thought it was if I can receive 2 defective units.. To top it off, the price just went up.. I wonder how many of these are returned due to defects.

1.0 out of 5 stars sangean dar 101 recorder, April 13, 2012
up4fun "UP4FUN" (LAHAINA, MAUI, HAWAII) - See all my reviews
sangean recorder worked great - for 2 months. then there was a static background that would not go away. i called sangean and they said send it to us with $8.00 and we'll fix it under the warranty. 3 weeks went by and i still did not have the recorder returned to me. i called them again and they said it would take them another 2-3 weeks, "because we're doing the best we can." so i guess they are backlogged with non-working sangean recorders.

DO NOT BUY THIS JUNK RECORDER. HORRIBLE WARRANTY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Work Sent to China for Help, May 3, 2012
Robert Desimone (Newbury Park, CA, US) - See all my reviews
It looked like a solid item, but upon arrival and set up, it would not record. We contacted the company we purchased from, and they put us in email contact with the mfg in China. Nothing against the company we purchased from, but trying to get something working via email, with the time difference of China,....didn't work for us. Returned

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Telephone Recorder For A Reasonable Price, July 15, 2011
Mr. Bill (Central Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
About 15 years ago I purchased a Radio Shack TCR 200 Telephone Cassette Recorder which had several weaknesses. I used the TCR 200 to make a record of telephone orders or airline reservations. If the call center announced that the call would be recorded I had to remove the batteries from the TCR 200 to turn off the warning tone because the switch was in the battery compartment. The DAR-101 solves all of the problems I had with the TCR 200. It uses SD Cards rather than cassette tape as the storage media. The longest cassette tape that would work reliably in the TCR 200, recorded 45 Minutes on a side. A used a 2 GB Micro SD Card with a full size adapter, it stores 2,000 Minutes when set to the default compression mode of 128Kbps. The DAR-101 works with any SD card up to 32 GB which can store 32,000 Minutes. It uses the telephone line voltage to activate it when in the Record Stand By Mode and will not be activated by noise on the line. The warning tone can be turned off from the front panel. When the Record Standby Mode is off the DAR-101 can be activated by pressing the record button while the phone is off hook. The DAR-101 automatically shuts off when the phone is hung up. The DAR-101 has a switch in the battery compartment to select disposable or rechargeable batteries. I installed the new factory charged rechargeable batteries I purchased from Amazon.com along with the DAR-101 and they worked fine. The DAR-101 includes an AC Adapter, telephone line splitter and telephone cord. On the negative side the display position can be adjusted but tends to fall back to the flat position. The mode selector wheel is somewhat difficult to operate. In view that it is new technology I had to use the instruction manual to properly operate the unit until I memorized how to use all of the many features. It does not record caller ID information.